• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Roy For Brawl Thread: Support Our Boy Roy (Roy Subspace story made in latest post

NukeA6

Smash Master
Eliwood replace Roy? I doubt it. Roy is much more liked than Eliwood.

UtopiaXD

Smash Apprentice
Eliwood or Roy would rock! One of those 2 need to be in brawl theres no need to remove roy and if so Eliwood would be perfect. His character is a good counter part to Ike.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Eliwood or Roy would rock! One of those 2 need to be in brawl theres no need to remove roy and if so Eliwood would be perfect. His character is a good counter part to Ike.
Maybe, but I just hope Eliwood doesn't go with emo lines. >_>

With lines, I go with Ike and Roy, maybe Ike got "tough guy-like" lines.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Thanks for your responses so far. I just hope that if Roy does get cut, he will be replaced by a Fire Emblem charascte that is similar to him stat-wise (average speed, average strength, average weight). A lot of people who attended E4ALL said that Ike is useless on one-on-one battles because of how slow he attack and moves, and Marth may be hit with the nerf-stick (like Fox was) and be just speedy, light-weight, and weak. An average Fire Emblem character is the best bet to get a Fire Emblem character at-least mid-tier.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Here's what I wrote on Eliwood in another topic:

In case of those who don't know, Eliwood is the second lord that you play as in Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword (or Fire Emblem as it is known outside Japan). Eliwood is also the father of Roy, and a powerful unlockable trial map character in FE6.

Biograpahy taken from Fire Emblem World:

A swordsman on a quest to find his father, Elbert, who had been kidnapped by the Dark Druid Nergal. Eliwood battles with a group of assassins called the Black Fang, morphs, and lastly a Fire Dragon to reach his destination. He is equipped with a rapier, and later, the Durandal, which he uses to battle Nergal. He is Roy's father. Eliwood also appears in Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals, but only through a very short period into the game. Eliwood's mother is Eleanora, who is guarded by Isadora, and his son is Roy, who first appeared in Super Smash Bros. Melee, then the sixth Fire Emblem game, which was made before Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword, the aforementioned Fire Emblem: Fuuin no Tsurugi.

Eliwood fights quite differently from his son, and could be made into a non-clone character despite being a sword-user.

Here is a list of special moves that Eliwood could have if he had a moveset.

B-Side: Flame Rush

Eliwood thrusts foward with his sword, and his sword bursts in flames. It works much like Fox's Phantasm, only its a bit slower, more powerful, and has a burning effect.

B-Up: Wheel of Fire

I am sort of imagining something like critical animation shown above, only there is not a foward thrust. Instead Eliwood's sword goes on fire, and spins in a circle (much like's Samus's Screw Attack).

Down-B: War Horse

Eliwood whistles for his war horse, and either his horse tramples other opponents, or he can mount it, increasing his speed, but it makes him a much bigger target.

B: Lance Throw:

Eliwood throws a Javelin at his enemies.

Final Smash: Family & Friends

Eliwood summons his son Roy, and his two best friends, Hector and Lyn. They all wreak havoc throughout the battlefield. Roy has moderate powerered Melee attacks, and can shoot fireballs out of his Sword of Seals at long-distane enemies. Getting hit by Hector's axe with about 50% damage, is instant KO (because he is Hector afterall). Lyn attacks the same way she does as an Assist Trophy.

Eliwood would be the average between Ike and Marth. Ike is a very slow, powerful, and heavy character, whereas I can see Marth being made into a very fast, light, and weak character in order to balance him out. Between these two extremes would be Eliwood. He would have average speed, average weight (similar to Mario), and average power. He would be a well-rounded sword-fighter character with no real weaknesses or strenghts, much like how Mario was in Melee.

Here is the analysis I wrote on Eliwood in my ULTIMATE Probable Playable Characters In Brawl Topic:

Eliwood is one of three lords in Fire Emblem (or Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword as it is known in Japan). Eliwood is the father of Roy, and was even a powerful unlockable trial map character in FE6. Eliwood is considered by many Fire Emblem fans to be the most important lord of Blazing Sword (though some say it is debatable). Unlike Roy, Eliwood has some things that can make him into a non-clone character. Eliwood could use a lance as a possible B-move and his horse for another B-move, and fights differently than his son or Marth. Although Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword is probably the best-selling Fire Emblem game counting worldwide sales, it was not too popular in Japan, and sold less than the Sword of Seals (Roy’s game), and is probably the fourth best-selling game in the series in Japan. Eliwood is also the least popular of the three lords from Blazing Sword in North America, where most of Blazing Sword’s popularity lies. However, Eliwood is the most popular lord from FE7 in Japan and probably the only lord from a Game Boy Advance Fire Emblem that is liked in that country. Eliwood is also one of two lords that I have seen Japanese fans want to get in as the third playable Fire Emblem character in Brawl (the other being Micaiah). Eliwood even ranked as the ninth-most wanted Smash Bros. character on a Japanese Brawl fansite for most wanted newcomer (the only Fire Emblem character that ranked higher than him was Ike, who ranked at third). With his son likely getting axed, it is quite possible that Sakurai could place in Eliwood as a replacement to Roy and the representative of Elibe and the Game Boy Advance Fire Emblems. I could see Eliwood as being a well-rounded character with no reals advantages or weaknesses (as opposed to Ike’s massive power, slow speed, and heavy weight, and Marth who will likely be made into the opposite of Ike) like he was in FE7. Overall, Eliwood is probably the dark horse of likely contenders for a third playable Fire Emblem character, and may surprise many North American Smash Bros. fans if he indeed gets in.

Since Eliwood is probably the only lord from Elibe and the GBA Fire Emblems who has a realistic shot at getting into Brawl as a a playable character, I think all fans of Hector, Roy (such as myself), Lyn, and Blazing Sword should unite behind him. Please don't go trolling this thread and say Eliwood sucks, this topic is just for fans of Eliwood and his son and best friends. However, I do want discussion as to how to perhaps craft Eliwood's A-moves and other stats.

Now for some artwork (major spoilers):

Eliwood is also a player:

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
Roy definitely has more chances than eliwood cuz he is already a veteran and is more popular cuz of his show in melee if roy comes eliwood could be his costume or the wrong way round

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Roy definitely has more chances than eliwood cuz he is already a veteran and is more popular cuz of his show in melee if roy comes eliwood could be his costume or the wrong way round
Yeah, I want Roy more than Eliwood as well. However, if Roy does get cut, Eliwood would make the best replacement.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
I don't like the idea of the father replacing the son. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Roy could theoretically be used to promote the Western release of FE6, if they decide to put it on the Virtual Console (like some are speculating might happen with Mother 3).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I just found two very interesting rumors regarding Roy on some Japanese Brawl message boards (the same source for that "there will be more than 25 characters in Brawl" thing). The first suggests that him (along with Marth and Mr. Game & Watch) have been cut (however, I doubt they would cut G&W and Marth, which makes this one unlikely). The second one suggests that the voice actors for Marth, Roy, and Ganondorf are going to do voice-work in Brawl, however, the information regarding this was taken down (sort of like the Krystal one). I am taking this to a translator to get better understanding of these two rumors.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Roy could theoretically be used to promote the Western release of FE6, if they decide to put it on the Virtual Console (like some are speculating might happen with Mother 3).
Why would they promote FE6 again especially when Japan looks down on the GBA games? They are not gonna do that.

Hong

The Strongest
I definately wouldn't mind having Roy or Eliwood. I played a competitive Roy in SSBM and Ike is just too far from what I liked about Roy. Though if they choose Eliwood to have a more globally recognized character I hope he relies more on fencer-like movements and thrusting attacks, to differentiate from the barbaric attacks of Ike or the elegant swipes of Marth.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I definately wouldn't mind having Roy or Eliwood. I played a competitive Roy in SSBM and Ike is just too far from what I liked about Roy. Though if they choose Eliwood to have a more globally recognized character I hope he relies more on fencer-like movements and thrusting attacks, to differentiate from the barbaric attacks of Ike or the elegant swipes of Marth.
This reminds me of something. I am going to take a look at Roy's attack animations, and see if I can come up with an original moveset for him.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Well, I just looked at Roy's sprite sheet, and there are a few moves that I could give him based off of it. However, I also think I would need to take a few moves from Eliwood in order for it to be a complete non-clone. However, this is not the first time a character in Smash Bros. has had moves that were taken from another character, both Ness and Lucas cannot learn PK Freeze, PK Fire, PK Thunder, and PSI Magnet in their games.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I changed the thread title. I want to make this topic a little more welcoming. :laugh: Also, I still have not got a response back from the translator regarding those two rumors I mentioned earlier.

LemonManX

Smash Lord
I main Roy in the competitive scene... but even I have come to terms with the idea of saying goodbye to SSBM's fiery FE rep. For him to return, he would have to be very lucky.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I main Roy in the competitive scene... but even I have come to terms with the idea of saying goodbye to SSBM's fiery FE rep. For him to return, he would have to be very lucky.
His best hope at returning would be being reborn as Eliwood (whoi is another lord that wields a sword that has fire abilities and red-hair). Other than that, Roy's chances of returning are not looking good, especially, with the deconfirmation of Ness.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Sorry Roy fans, I still have not gotten a response back from the translator. However, I am hoping for one by the end of this week. If I don't get a response by the end of this week from him, I will try asking Samurai Panda.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I just got a response back from the translator, apparently he says that he is busy, but he would still translate them for me. I sent him another message asking what time I can expect a translation, if he says he won't be able to get it done by Sunday, then I am going to send a message to Samurai Panda asking for a translation instead.

Shuma

Smash Hero
I really hope he sticks his sword in his *** and burns himself to ashes...

Arhm, i mean. I doubt he'll return, Marth will probably return, Ike is in, why should Roy return? fanbase? there are other characters that deserve a shot.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I really hope he sticks his sword in his *** and burns himself to ashes...

Arhm, i mean. I doubt he'll return, Marth will probably return, Ike is in, why should Roy return? fanbase? there are other characters that deserve a shot.
Again with the trolling? *sigh* This is just a thread for Roy fans and users. If you have a problem with it just kindly ignore it. Also, Elibe needs a representative for Brawl, and the only other character from Elibe that has a shot is Eliwood. Also, many of us want an average-well-rounded Fire Emblem character between the extremes that are going to Marth and Ike. I would not mind Roy being cut, so much as there is a well-rounded Fire Emblem character that replaces him (preferrably Sigurd or Eliwood). However, another purpose of this thread is to reflect upon our experiences with Roy and why we enjoyed him in Melee. Now that you have a better understanding of this thread, maybe you can respect it a little bit more.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Actually, i posted since i was going to PM Silver, but she's offline so... nevermind. Sorry about the trolling.

Hong

The Strongest
I don't mind when people disagree, as long as they can at least attempt to make a half decent argument against the character instead of "**** roy i hope he dies". Doesn't make them seem like the brightest bulb in the bunch. :/

Do you think that if Roy is to return, that he should have his ranged fire attack like he did in FE6? It was so hot!
Literally.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I don't mind when people disagree, as long as they can at least attempt to make a half decent argument against the character instead of "**** roy i hope he dies". Doesn't make them seem like the brightest bulb in the bunch. :/

Do you think that if Roy is to return, that he should have his ranged fire attack like he did in FE6? It was so hot!
Literally.
Yeah, if he were to come back he would most definitely have the ability to shoot fireballs out of his sword. I also think he would be given some of Eliwood's abilities, if they really wanted to make him a unique character (Sakurai has given Paula and Kumatora's moves to Ness and Lucas, so it wouldn't really be that odd).

rideonshootingstarxx

Smash Cadet
I love me some Roy =). He was my main, and I favored him over Marth until I actually really started testing Marth and finding out he was a better fit for me. But I still love Roy, butttttt...
I dunno that he deserves to be in Brawl. With his style pretty much covered by Ike and likely Marth, will we really miss Roy that much?
I'd rather love Ike than sob over Roy any day.
Roy is sex though.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I love me some Roy =). He was my main, and I favored him over Marth until I actually really started testing Marth and finding out he was a better fit for me. But I still love Roy, butttttt...
I dunno that he deserves to be in Brawl. With his style pretty much covered by Ike and likely Marth, will we really miss Roy that much?
I'd rather love Ike than sob over Roy any day.
Roy is sex though.
Yeah which is why we should get a well-rounded Fire Emblem swordsman that way Roy lives on in spirit (sort of like how Ness lives on in Lucas). Sigurd or Eliwood would be the best candidate for this I think.

Top Bottom