• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Rosalina Q&A Thread

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
So... Cloud... Either I am a really bad player (possible if not probable), or this is a really terrible matchup... Or I am missing something.

How in the world does Rosalina do anything against him?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So... Cloud... Either I am a really bad player (possible if not probable), or this is a really terrible matchup... Or I am missing something.

How in the world does Rosalina do anything against him?
We don't exactly have any good answers about that match-up just yet. Give it about another month or so; Cloud will also receive his own match-up discussion thread here at a later date.

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
What're Rosalina's neutral game options against all character archetypes ( Rushdown, turtle, projectile, zoning etc. etc.)?

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
We don't exactly have any good answers about that match-up just yet. Give it about another month or so; Cloud will also receive his own match-up discussion thread here at a later date.
Thank you.... I will try to read through some of those... but being a not so good player I tend to suffer information overload really quickly when I try to read all that you quality players have to say, and struggle to understand it.

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
Does Rosa get anything out of perfect pivots?

Like, anything to extend a combo or something?

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
I have a friend thats planning to pick up Rosalina as her main. I'm trying to teach her smash fundamentals,right now imteaching how to play Neutral. Can someone give me a run down of how Rosalina plays the neutral games? And what her goals are? Thanks alot to anybody that answers!

Also what are some key Rosa matches to watch? I know Dabuz but yeah xD

Last edited:

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
Is the Roy MU really 55:45 in Roy's favor?
Speaking from Roy`s perspective this matchup is even, Roy can get ride of Luma fairly quick, kill rosa early,and pressure her well. but she can easily edge guard roy, and getting in is rough as roy, plus he gets juggled and comboed hard.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Speaking from Roy`s perspective this matchup is even, Roy can get ride of Luma fairly quick, kill rosa early,and pressure her well. but she can easily edge guard roy, and getting in is rough as roy, plus he gets juggled and comboed hard.
Well I find it ironic that Roy fares better than Ike who outside of ground speed and smash attacks, completely outclasses Roy.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I have a friend thats planning to pick up Rosalina as her main. I'm trying to teach her smash fundamentals,right now imteaching how to play Neutral. Can someone give me a run down of how Rosalina plays the neutral games? And what her goals are? Thanks alot to anybody that answers!

Also what are some key Rosa matches to watch? I know Dabuz but yeah xD

Rosalina neutral is pretty difficult and your approach to her neutral changes on the MU. Her neutral will chsnge depending on if you're playing with Luma attached or detached. Her inportant moves in neutral (not in order) jab nair bair dtilt ftilt and star bits. Dabuz has a tutorial on Rosalina that I suggest you have your friend check out. It's a bit on the long side but it's still good. As for Rosalina to watch the ones I suggest are dabuz Abadango Xaltis Rayquaza Falln and snakeee. These are probably the best Rosalina players. Which showcase her really well.

https://youtu.be/_oH4jwBnx2U

Hopefully that helps.

Last edited:

Satonakas

Smash Cadet
NNID
itsiantime
3DS FC
1693-3665-7953
Heyy i'm fairly new to Rosalina & Luma, I want her as a secondary to ZSS/Bayonetta, so I would love to know the basics of what makes her so good.

Thanks in advance ;)

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Heyy i'm fairly new to Rosalina & Luma, I want her as a secondary to ZSS/Bayonetta, so I would love to know the basics of what makes her so good.

Thanks in advance ;)
Rosalina is primarily a defensive character, although she can pile on tons of damage if the opponent lets her.

Luma is the cornerstone of her gameplan, and the game itself hints at this by naming the character "Rosalina & Luma" instead of just "Rosalina". Without Luma, you're basically playing as half a character. Luma does many things:

• When linked to Rosalina, it extends the range of her attacks.
  • When desynced, it lets Rosalina attack a given position with zero risk to herself.
  • It acts as a meatshield to block projectiles.
  • If Rosalina is hit but Luma is still in position, it can threaten a counter hit unless the opponent shields or GTFOs.
  • Most of the pair's knockback (read: kill power) is concentrated in Luma.

Of course, it's not all sunshine and rainbows. Babysitting Luma is a full time job.

• Luma has only 50 HP.
  • Luma can be sent flying by sufficiently strong attacks, and if hit offstage in this manner it cannot be saved.
  • Luma takes 12-13 seconds to respawn.
  • Luma cannot shield or dodge, making it difficult to protect against certain moves.
  • Luma can cause high-hitlag moves to still hit Rosalina by extending the duration of their active frames when normally it would whiff.
  • Luma does comparatively little damage -- Rosalina does more damage per hit by far.

For the most part though, these negatives are outweighed by the positives. As important as Luma is, Rosalina herself is even more important because it's her % and her stocks that matter, not Luma's. So using Luma to safely wall out the opponent and apply pressure is the core of her gameplan. Whether you keep Luma close or send it out remotely depends on the matchup -- keeping it close is the safe option, but sending it out can create hellish setups for the opponent to deal with. It's also simply personal preference to a degree. Experiment.

Other than safe defense and pressure with Luma, her two other key strengths are juggles and edgeguarding. Her uair is massively disjointed and can kill surprisingly early, Luma's moreso minus the disjoint. And between her excellent aerials, remote Luma placement, and long range recovery, she can pick and choose between going deep for edgeguards while still making it back, using Luma to do it for her while staying safely on stage, or placing Luma and herself to cover most if not all possible options at the ledge once the opponent gets there.

Two notable Rosalina players I'd suggest you look up are Dabuz and Falln. Dabuz is the #1 Rosalina in the US right now and uses a very defensive style of play. I'm not sure where Falln is ranked, but I mention him because his Rosalina plays a lot differently, utilizing Luma as a puppet much more often. (IMO this makes him more fun to watch as well but to each his own.)

Last edited:

Satonakas

Smash Cadet
NNID
itsiantime
3DS FC
1693-3665-7953
Rosalina is primarily a defensive character, although she can pile on tons of damage if the opponent lets her.

Luma is the cornerstone of her gameplan, and the game itself hints at this by naming the character "Rosalina & Luma" instead of just "Rosalina". Without Luma, you're basically playing as half a character. Luma does many things:

• When linked to Rosalina, it extends the range of her attacks.
  • When desynced, it lets Rosalina attack a given position with zero risk to herself.
  • It acts as a meatshield to block projectiles.
  • If Rosalina is hit but Luma is still in position, it can threaten a counter hit unless the opponent shields or GTFOs.
  • Most of the pair's knockback (read: kill power) is concentrated in Luma.

Of course, it's not all sunshine and rainbows. Babysitting Luma is a full time job.

• Luma has only 50 HP.
  • Luma can be sent flying by sufficiently strong attacks, and if hit offstage in this manner it cannot be saved.
  • Luma takes 12-13 seconds to respawn.
  • Luma cannot shield or dodge, making it difficult to protect against certain moves.
  • Luma can cause high-hitlag moves to still hit Rosalina by extending the duration of their active frames when normally it would whiff.
  • Luma does comparatively little damage -- Rosalina does more damage per hit by far.

For the most part though, these negatives are outweighed by the positives. As important as Luma is, Rosalina herself is even more important because it's her % and her stocks that matter, not Luma's. So using Luma to safely wall out the opponent and apply pressure is the core of her gameplan. Whether you keep Luma close or send it out remotely depends on the matchup -- keeping it close is the safe option, but sending it out can create hellish setups for the opponent to deal with. It's also simply personal preference to a degree. Experiment.

Other than safe defense and pressure with Luma, her two other key strengths are juggles and edgeguarding. Her uair is massively disjointed and can kill surprisingly early, Luma's moreso minus the disjoint. And between her excellent aerials, remote Luma placement, and long range recovery, she can pick and choose between going deep for edgeguards while still making it back, using Luma to do it for her while staying safely on stage, or placing Luma and herself to cover most if not all possible options at the ledge once the opponent gets there.

Two notable Rosalina players I'd suggest you look up are Dabuz and Falln. Dabuz is the #1 Rosalina in the US right now and uses a very defensive style of play. I'm not sure where Falln is ranked, but I mention him because his Rosalina plays a lot differently, utilizing Luma as a puppet much more often. (IMO this makes him more fun to watch as well but to each his own.)
Thanks for the help I greatly appreciate it

FightingPolygon

Smash Cadet
NNID
MasterGames1975
3DS FC
1246-8764-0707
How do I deal with RosaLuma jabbing me at the ledge? I don't know if I should drop my shield, but at the same time, I don't want my shield broken.

I play Cloud btw :^}

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
How do I deal with RosaLuma jabbing me at the ledge? I don't know if I should drop my shield, but at the same time, I don't want my shield broken.

I play Cloud btw :^}
Her jab can be annoying sometimes, but her jabs do push opponents a bit, her own jab doesn't have that much range. If it's her RosaLuma, watch out for getting trapped between them. If it only Luma, avoid Luma, or use Cloud's projectile to get rid of Luma.

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
I just want to confirm something; Say I hit someone 9 times with Luma U-smash, Luma's U-smash will be completely stale. Now Rosalina's U-smash will be completely fresh. Is this correct?

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
I just want to confirm something; Say I hit someone 9 times with Luma U-smash, Luma's U-smash will be completely stale. Now Rosalina's U-smash will be completely fresh. Is this correct?
I believe this is correct. And luma rage is based on rosa's percent.

Dustins7

Smash Rookie
I need a list of her counters and the good and bad stages for her... i cant find it anywhere on this site =(

Royug

Smash Cadet
By counters, do you mean characters that are good against Rosalina aka her bad match-ups ? There's a thread regrouping her scoring for all match-ups here. Her worst match-ups are Metaknight, Pikachu, Sheik and probably Cloud.

And for the stages, I'd say stages with a low ceiling are a good pick for her, since she relies a lot on Up-smash and Up-air. That means Town and City, Halberd and also Delfino Plaza (especially during transitions). Though personally I don't really like Halberd because of the stage hazards and the weird ledge configuration on the ship deck platform where you can easily get stuck during your recovery.

As for her bad stages, I'd say Lylat Cruise can be tricky because of the tilting of the ship and its flat edges, you really need to aim carefully for the ledge when recovering or you can easily get stuck under it. Also, Duck Hunt is annoying because of the dog and the fixed edges of the screen, but Rosalina can get nice kills with Up-air when the opponent is on the tree.

Last edited:

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
you really need to aim carefully for the ledge when recovering or you can easily get stuck under it
That was patched out. The underside of Lylat acts as a lip now, similar to Smashville or Town and City.

Royug

Smash Cadet
That was patched out. The underside of Lylat acts as a lip now, similar to Smashville or Town and City.
Are you sure ? cause it happened to me again like 1h ago. I tried to jump to the ledge from below it, got blocked under, then blocked a second time with my Up-B.

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
It got patched out when Mewtwo came out in 1.0.6. However I'be noticed that if the edge is tilted completely downwards, you could sometimes get Lylat'd. For the most part though, you don't have to worry about it.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Can someone explain what Dabuz did at Genesis with the air grab release to usmash?

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
GwJ GwJ
When you send Luma out, he comes back to a set distance. This distance happens to be where opponents will be air released. Off the top of my head Mario, Luigi, Doc, Wario, Kirby, Jiggly puff, Ness, Lucas, Meta Knight, and I think Bowser Jr will ALWAYS be air released. For other characters, they will only be air released if you grab them while they're in the air. The only character that I know of who is immune to air release combos is Yoshi. He is always air released but he flies too far to follow up.

Air release->U-smash is not guaranteed as far as I know. Either Dabuz was doing something special or his opponents didn't know they could air dodge. However, air release->Uair is a true combo and sometimes you could true combo from Luma's into Rosa's Uair for earlier kills.

Last edited:

Royug

Smash Cadet
Also, other characters than those mentioned can be air released if the player presses a jump button or Up on the directional stick while mashing to get free.

KingCapital

Smash Cadet
NNID
KeeganIsTopTier
GwJ GwJ
When you send Luma out, he comes back to a set distance. This distance happens to be where opponents will be air released. Off the top of my head Mario, Luigi, Doc, Wario, Kirby, Jiggly puff, Ness, Lucas, Meta Knight, and I think Bowser Jr will ALWAYS be air released. For other characters, they will only be air released if you grab them while they're in the air. The only character that I know of who is immune to air release combos is Yoshi. He is always air released but he flies too far to follow up.

Air release->U-smash is not guaranteed as far as I know. Either Dabuz was doing something special or his opponents didn't know they could air dodge. However, air release->Uair is a true combo and sometimes you could true combo from Luma's into Rosa's Uair for earlier kills.
The list you provided is pretty much correct for people who it works on no matter what. I believe there are a few more but I don't have my notebook on me so I can't tell you straight away. As for the characters who are touching the ground when you grab them, the only way the grab release into u-smash works is if they mash out from my experience. If anyone has found anything more on this, I'd love to hear it.

Royug

Smash Cadet
As for the characters who are touching the ground when you grab them, the only way the grab release into u-smash works is if they mash out from my experience. If anyone has found anything more on this, I'd love to hear it.
It doesn't work if they only mash with A or B, for example. They have to input at least one jump or Up one time on the directional stick for it to work. And even then, it's not garanteed. I did some tests, but I couldn't figure out exactly what dictates when a tall character is air-released or ground-released. But Dabuz seems to do it pretty reliably, I wonder if it's only luck based or if there's a trick to force an air release.

the only hit that can be SDI'd is the final hit, which is kinda useless.
How is it useless ? The final hit is really strong, and evading it often makes the difference between surviving and dying. Plus, with Rosalina, if you SDI out of the last hit, it's possible to hit ZSS with an U-air with Luma and kill her as he comes back to Rosalina (as discussed here and seen here).

Last edited:

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
How is it useless ? The final hit is really strong, and evading it often makes the difference between surviving and dying. Plus, with Rosalina, if you SDI out of the last hit, it's possible to hit ZSS with an U-air with Luma and kill her as he comes back to Rosalina (as discussed here and seen here).
I think you misunderstand. SDI slightly changes your positioning during hitlag, which is useful for escaping multihitting moves before the final hit. When I say that only the final hit can be SDI'd, I mean that only the finisher can be SDI'd... It's fairly useless to slightly adjust your position during the hitlag if you're still going to be launched. Maybe you'll live 1% longer? What Dabuz did there was use DI to escape during the multhits and Luma Uair because he was clear of the finisher.

KingCapital

Smash Cadet
NNID
KeeganIsTopTier
It doesn't work if they only mash with A or B, for example. They have to input at least one jump or Up one time on the directional stick for it to work. And even then, it's not garanteed. I did some tests, but I couldn't figure out exactly what dictates when a tall character is air-released or ground-released. But Dabuz seems to do it pretty reliably, I wonder if it's only luck based or if there's a trick to force an air release.
Most of my friends and players in my local scene either mash out using the analog stick or mashing all of the buttons on right side(ABXY) so I guess that's why it works for me. The common solution is to not mash out but if you are fast enough, you can throw instead(especially if they are at kill %s). Then again it's a reflex, for me at least, to mash as soon as I get in a grab. Whatever Dabuz is doing to confirm it, I want to find out how to do so.

Question: What do you guys do/recommend for solo training/practice? This is a thing I have been wondering about for a while.

Royug

Smash Cadet
P Planty Oh yeah, you're right. I know the difference between DI and SDI, I just read your post too fast. Sorry for that. :p

KingCapital KingCapital Spacing, I guess. I still haven't trained solo Rosa much, but spacing really seems something important to practice, since you get less range without Luma. But without Luma, you should also act less agressive, avoid your opponent a little bit and focus on punishing his moves instead of attacking him head first.

fatman.spam

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0920-1985-1832
What is the best way to train with Rosalina ?for example mostly train movement or special techskill etc.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
Here are my thoughts on best things to practice with Rosa by yourself. I recently switched back to Rosa as a main so I've actually just been thinking about this very topic (how do I optimize my time practicing Rosa). I think its even more key cuz there's lots of Rosa tech I can't do online, which makes me train with her solo more.

Most Important

Recovering, practicing your three angles (45, 70, 90 degrees) and just kind of dancing around under the stage, and off to the sides so you can confidently recover in pressurized situations where its ambiguous what the right angles are.

In the same vein teching stage spikes is very important. You can practice teching by going to temple and making lots of explosions appear in training mode. Or making a custom stage with hazards and structures that emulate the sides of common tournament stages.

Playing Rosa is being super ahead when you are ahead and super behind when you are behind. And being behind typically means you are offstage so offstage survival tech is key to winning with Rosa. The ability to tech and recover offstage is something you can cultivate on your own and improving at this aspect of the game will definitely improve your win rate with Rosa.

Next Most Important

Ground buttons. What is Rosa's Jab range? What is Rosa's Grab range? If I get jab 1,2 with Luma what should I do? If I get Jab1,2 with Rosa and Luma what should I do? Will my multijab combo or will they be able to get out of it? Rosa gets a ton of flak for having an OP jab but its not a simple tool to use. One mistaken multijab can get you punished to death.

Basically there is a large variety of situations that can occur when you press your ground buttons. If luma hit when you didn't expect luma to or even worse Luma wasn't available and you thought he/she was available to attack you have to understand what is going to happen and build the ability to react or improvise when your buttons don't work out as intended.

Still Important

Tech! You don't get to tech out and style with Rosa often because styling typically means you have to jump or do something risky... when that's literally the opposite of Rosa's gameplan.

But the opportunities do arise where you need to tech and Rosa has a ton of tech that helps her extend her pressure.

I'd say you have to make sure you can (sorry if I'm not brushed up on the agreed names for these techs):

-Lunar Land all of your aerials
-RAR all of your aerials
-Reverse Lunar Land all of your aerials (By Whiffing a LL bair one direction turning around and then doing an LL aerial)
-Foxtrot cancel (Rosa can dashdance like Melee falcon)
-Luma Shot into walk up Multijab edgeguard. (Wins you some matchups pretty brainlessly)
-Luma Desynch Multijabs, being able to do this out of up-b recovery and wake up attack are key.
-Dash Attack Canceled Grab (Luma Dash Attacks while Rosa Dash Grabs)
-Reverse D-tilt with Luma hitting the opposite direction using the down-away corner angle.
-Perfect pivot d-tilt. there is a frame window where doing this will turn luma around without having to do the input trick above
-Perfect Pivot u-tilt as an OOS punish. If someone taps the back of your shield while you have Luma you can PP towards and u-tilt to get a sweet spot Luma uptilt punish, which can kill quite early with Rage.
-Desynched tag team combos, knowing distances and percentages where you can f-tilt ping pong with Ros and Luma, D-smash works too.
-Grounded Footstool into Dair is a combo that can kill or combo into an up-air for a kill.
-Using LL Nair and then rolling to adjust Luma's hitbox.
-Fair into Fast Fall to drag people down into the ground for tech situations. Fair into fastfall by the edge can soft-spike your opponent.

Being able to reliably use advanced techniques with Rosa can advance your game but time put towards mastering AT is probably not as well spent as mastering your ground control and survivability. Still this big list of stuff to learn is quite a motivating force to push Rosalina forward.

Hope this was helpful and not too long.

fatman.spam

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0920-1985-1832
Here are my thoughts on best things to practice with Rosa by yourself. I recently switched back to Rosa as a main so I've actually just been thinking about this very topic (how do I optimize my time practicing Rosa). I think its even more key cuz there's lots of Rosa tech I can't do online, which makes me train with her solo more.

Most Important

Recovering, practicing your three angles (45, 70, 90 degrees) and just kind of dancing around under the stage, and off to the sides so you can confidently recover in pressurized situations where its ambiguous what the right angles are.

In the same vein teching stage spikes is very important. You can practice teching by going to temple and making lots of explosions appear in training mode. Or making a custom stage with hazards and structures that emulate the sides of common tournament stages.

Playing Rosa is being super ahead when you are ahead and super behind when you are behind. And being behind typically means you are offstage so offstage survival tech is key to winning with Rosa. The ability to tech and recover offstage is something you can cultivate on your own and improving at this aspect of the game will definitely improve your win rate with Rosa.

Next Most Important

Ground buttons. What is Rosa's Jab range? What is Rosa's Grab range? If I get jab 1,2 with Luma what should I do? If I get Jab1,2 with Rosa and Luma what should I do? Will my multijab combo or will they be able to get out of it? Rosa gets a ton of flak for having an OP jab but its not a simple tool to use. One mistaken multijab can get you punished to death.

Basically there is a large variety of situations that can occur when you press your ground buttons. If luma hit when you didn't expect luma to or even worse Luma wasn't available and you thought he/she was available to attack you have to understand what is going to happen and build the ability to react or improvise when your buttons don't work out as intended.

Still Important

Tech! You don't get to tech out and style with Rosa often because styling typically means you have to jump or do something risky... when that's literally the opposite of Rosa's gameplan.

But the opportunities do arise where you need to tech and Rosa has a ton of tech that helps her extend her pressure.

I'd say you have to make sure you can (sorry if I'm not brushed up on the agreed names for these techs):

-RAR all of your aerials
-Reverse Lunar Land all of your aerials (By Whiffing a LL bair one direction turning around and then doing an LL aerial)
-Luma Shot into walk up Multijab edgeguard. (Wins you some matchups pretty brainlessly)
-Luma Desynch Multijabs, being able to do this out of up-b recovery and wake up attack are key.
-Reverse D-tilt with Luma hitting the opposite direction using the down-away corner angle.
-Perfect pivot d-tilt. there is a frame window where doing this will turn luma around without having to do the input trick above
-Perfect Pivot u-tilt as an OOS punish. If someone taps the back of your shield while you have Luma you can PP towards and u-tilt to get a sweet spot Luma uptilt punish, which can kill quite early with Rage.
-Desynched tag team combos, knowing distances and percentages where you can f-tilt ping pong with Ros and Luma, D-smash works too.
-Grounded Footstool into Dair is a combo that can kill or combo into an up-air for a kill.
-Fair into Fast Fall to drag people down into the ground for tech situations. Fair into fastfall by the edge can soft-spike your opponent.

Being able to reliably use advanced techniques with Rosa can advance your game but time put towards mastering AT is probably not as well spent as mastering your ground control and survivability. Still this big list of stuff to learn is quite a motivating force to push Rosalina forward.

Thank you very much this will help me a lot.

Royug

Smash Cadet
Nd_KakaKhakis Nd_KakaKhakis I don't understand what you describe as a "Reverse Lunar Land". You mean Rosa has to do a "not perfect" LL B-air, turn around then jump again and do another LL ? How useful is this, and in what situation would this be useful ?

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
You can get Luma stuck in a sort of reverse position by RAR-ing. I'm sure you know of the extended Bair etc.

You can also get Luma into this reverse position by Performing a LL Bair, turning around and then waiting a few frames. If you were to then bair the bair would come out with the extended luma hitbox.

Doing RAR with Rosaluma or whiffing a bair and turning around essentially do the same thing. However the key difference is the wait time. You can't do a RAR LL Nair the timings just don't work out, you have to input the aerial while rising not near landing.

However if you whiff a bair and turn around you have time to do your "RAR'd or Reverse" aerial. So by doing LL bair turnaround SH LL Nair you can essentially RAR your LL Nair.
A typical LL Nair would hit in front of you and then behind you.
A Reverse LL Nair would hit behind you and then further behind you.

Try it out I posted about discovering this back when I was a dedicated main way back and now that I'm maining her again I think its very useful. Essentially its a whole new set of 5 LL aerials.

Last edited:

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion

Most Important

Next Most Important

Still Important

-RAR all of your aerials

Could you go more in depth about the PP Luma utlilt?

Just so I am understanding you correctly, we drop our shield normally, PP towards the opponent and then execute an up tilt?

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
Sure I'll explain more about Perfect Pivot (PP) uptilt.

Most of the time you PP a move with rosa luma's spacing will differ than the "usual spacing" of the move. This has to do with the fast nature of the "perfect pivot into attack" there isn't enough time for luma to reach the "usual spacing" so it just attacks where it is when you push the attack.

The "usual spacing" for uptilt has Luma in front of you. When you perfect pivot uptilt Luma ends horizontally overlapping with Rosalina, they're right on top of one another. So the hitbox of the luma uptilt exists on top of Rosalina's hitbox.

Now a slight aside. It sucks to be in shieldstun with Rosalina and Luma while you're facing away from your opponent. If someone has you blocking and you are facing away from them you cannot grab, you can turnaround and jab but that's hard and jab is slow. You can try to hit with the reverse hitbox of d-tilt or do a turnaround d-tilt but those are hard to do You can f-tilt but if you whiff or get blocked you're getting punished (and luma f-tilt will whiff too),

What you can do, while shielding and facing away from your opponent is PP towards them and uptilt. Its not easy to do but it is very good for a couple of reasons. Sweet spot pp Uptilt from luma is 3 frames. 3. that's it. Rosa jab1 is 8 frames... f-tilt is 7. This option is much faster than your other ones in a shielding situation. Plus Sweet Spot Luma uptilt is an amazing move knockback wise.
Definitely a viable kill option with Rosaluma.

So you should consider PP uptilt as a punish! Its gonna catch people by surprise at first and due to its quickness will sometimes be the only punish available.

Zonderion Zonderion Its not necessary to drop shield to use the technique I am describing its just a great option to consider when you are shielding.

Last edited:
Top Bottom