• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Rosalina Match-Up Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Has anyone fought a decent Robin? I just encountered one online that took 2 games out of 3. Arcfire is like PK Fire in that Luma can't save you from it, and Thunder etc. also hit Rosalina more often than Luma when dashing in. And Elwind puts the kibosh on uair juggles since the second hit comes out after airdodges or Gravitational Pull. And the Levin Sword hurts like a mother. I had the most success ignoring Luma entirely and running in; Arcfire has a blind spot in front of Robin that I was able to take advantage of with a dash attack, although that sounds horribly unsafe on paper and I'm sure it can be punished somehow. It's also great fun to absorb Thoron with Gravitational Pull.

Also, unrelated to matchups, but it's really frustrating when you die because you screwed up the Launch Star angle and missed the ledge.

Last edited:

Bushando64

King of the 64-Bit Realm
NNID
Bushando
3DS FC
1547-5186-5659
Switch FC
SW 5128 8278 7987
Personally, Gravitational Pull and shielding are my best friends when playing against Robin. He/She may have strong attacks, but they all have a ton of end lag, and it seems to me as though people who play Robin feel practically helpless in the air. I also use dash-attack to go under most projectiles that aren't coming straight at Rosalina; it's got decent enough priority to clink every so often, but SDI-ing out of Arcfire is pretty easy to me since Rosalina is so light.

Smart Robins know how to wait until you least expect it to start throwing out spells, so I enjoy using Luma as a pressuring decoy to draw out and take advantage of Arcfire's and El/thund/oron's cool down and animation length. It's kind of a mind game as to when you should use Gravitational Pull or just let Luma eat magic.

Also, unrelated to matchups, but it's really frustrating when you die because you screwed up the Launch Star angle and missed the ledge.
My pillow has been dampened by tears many times. Thanks, Circle Pad. :cool:

Last edited:

Zero Suit Senpai

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5000-4318-0259
Fellow Rosalina players I really need help against Sheik.

I feel pretty confident in most matchups, but in this matchup I'm at a total loss. My friend plays a pretty mean rushdown Sheik and I have no idea what to do...
  • I found it hard to send Luma out to attack Sheik because 1 needle cancels the whole move
  • Going air-to-air against Sheik was pretty much always a failure for me because Sheik's fair is very very fast and her other aerials are fast and strong as well
  • I found Luma was dying/going into tumble/generally getting hit an unable to move a lot. Basically, Sheik is fast and her normals have pretty decent range, and I had a hard time making use of Luma throughout the fight because Luma was usually getting hit or was in tumble (or just generally incapacitated in some way or another).
  • Using dtilt and ftilt helped me quite a bit for spacing in this matchup, but I still found I was frequently beat out by Sheik. What other normals do you guys find valuable in this matchup?
  • Generally what moves should I be using and how do you think I should be playing this MU?
SOS Rosalina players help me beat Sheik T_T

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Fellow Rosalina players I really need help against Sheik.

I feel pretty confident in most matchups, but in this matchup I'm at a total loss. My friend plays a pretty mean rushdown Sheik and I have no idea what to do...
  • I found it hard to send Luma out to attack Sheik because 1 needle cancels the whole move
  • Going air-to-air against Sheik was pretty much always a failure for me because Sheik's fair is very very fast and her other aerials are fast and strong as well
  • I found Luma was dying/going into tumble/generally getting hit an unable to move a lot. Basically, Sheik is fast and her normals have pretty decent range, and I had a hard time making use of Luma throughout the fight because Luma was usually getting hit or was in tumble (or just generally incapacitated in some way or another).
  • Using dtilt and ftilt helped me quite a bit for spacing in this matchup, but I still found I was frequently beat out by Sheik. What other normals do you guys find valuable in this matchup?
  • Generally what moves should I be using and how do you think I should be playing this MU?
SOS Rosalina players help me beat Sheik T_T
Approaching Sheik from above is good, as she doesn't have many moves with lots of range, and the needles only fire straight. Uair and Dair are very good against her.

Using Luma as a shield against the needles, punishing Sheik in her cool down, and calling Luma back, is a nice way to keep in control. You can also shield Luma as you approach, if need be, and dodge out of it the moment the attack is done. Rosalina's dodges are amazing, and make for a viable approach/get away tool, due to their speed and distance.

Don't know what else to really say as I don't have trouble against Sheik myself, beating her is second nature.

Bushando64

King of the 64-Bit Realm
NNID
Bushando
3DS FC
1547-5186-5659
Switch FC
SW 5128 8278 7987
Approaching Sheik from above is good, as she doesn't have many moves with lots of range, and the needles only fire straight. Uair and Dair are very good against her.

Using Luma as a shield against the needles, punishing Sheik in her cool down, and calling Luma back, is a nice way to keep in control. You can also shield Luma as you approach, if need be, and dodge out of it the moment the attack is done. Rosalina's dodges are amazing, and make for a viable approach/get away tool, due to their speed and distance.

Don't know what else to really say as I don't have trouble against Sheik myself, beating her is second nature.
Another thing that I like to keep in mind for Shiek is that, since he's fast, it's a tad difficult to space properly when Luma is un-linked. His down-special--the "floppy fish" or whatever it's called--is pretty good at closing distance while also keeping offensive momentum, so watch out for that. Up-tilt and/or up-Smash MAY out-prioritize Shiek's down-special, but I doubt it.

Zero Suit Senpai

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5000-4318-0259
Another thing that I like to keep in mind for Shiek is that, since he's fast, it's a tad difficult to space properly when Luma is un-linked.
I found that Sheik was able to "un-link" me and Luma a lot. Many of Sheiks normals tended to put Luma in free fall, and because of Sheik's high-pressure playstyle I rarely found an opportunity where I felt safe enough to use B to call Luma back to me after Luma had been disoriented :x

Bushando64

King of the 64-Bit Realm
NNID
Bushando
3DS FC
1547-5186-5659
Switch FC
SW 5128 8278 7987
I found that Sheik was able to "un-link" me and Luma a lot. Many of Sheiks normals tended to put Luma in free fall, and because of Sheik's high-pressure playstyle I rarely found an opportunity where I felt safe enough to use B to call Luma back to me after Luma had been disoriented :x
Yeah man, it happens. :cool:

I feel as though Solo-Rosalina is an important "style" that players should know how to use since a lot of the time--if their opponents are smart/aware--Luma will inevitably die. During the eight-second re-spawn time, SoRo has to play either super-defensive with shield, aerials or tilts OR go on the offensive with the same strategy since she's decent on her own even without Luma. "Just be cautious" is a general rule of thumb, especially without Luma since Rosalina is large and light.

Keep in mind that when Rosalina is un-linked from Luma and calls it back with neutral-special, Luma can STILL ATTACK with the corresponding button input. You can either keep attacking at this point--which cancels out the returning neutral-special--or attack once and allow the return to happen. Eventually, Luma will make it back to Rosalina and you can still keep an offensive presence while you're falling from being launched or are recovering. This tricky maneuver helps when Shiek thinks it's safe to charge needles or a Smash attack and is more or less stationary.

Last edited:

LEGOF

Smash Rookie
NNID
keimakona
3DS FC
2036-6575-6309
I ran into a D3 and had a hard time KOing, and a hard time getting down to the ground. Any ideas? Dair can only be so helpful.

xepherthree

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4167-4976-4789
Anyone have any experience playing against ROBs? I ran into my first one in For Glory after 100 something games, and the first we played he ended up beefing and edgeguard and dying at 4:59, and the second we played no one died until 3:30 in and I ended up losing in SD because we both played so passively I died to the bombs. GP completely shuts down his camp game, but he almost killed me with my own luma by roflcoptering it back into me, and I know enough about both that their strong suit is forcing the other players hand. They both stalemate so evenly though :c

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I think these might be Rosalina's worst matchups and so I think they'd be good starting points if we start focusing on specific characters for a time period.

:4lucina::4marth::4sheik::4zss::4greninja::4littlemac:: Grouping these guys together because they're all threatening to Rosalina and Luma for the same reason: they're fast enough to get around your Luma spacing and so it's easier for them to take Rosalina on one on one. For example with Marth and Lucina, they can jump over Luma and hit you with fair if you get sloppy with Luma spacing. I would probably place the first five as a 40:60 to 45:55 matchup in their favor (specifically Lucina and Marth as 40:60 and Sheik, ZSS and Greninja as 45:55), and Little Mac as 50:50.

:4peach::4jigglypuff::4wario:: Due to how strong of an aerial game these three have, they're able to get around Luma really easily. Wario is probably the easiest of the three to beat, and I think we may actually have an advantage in this matchup due to grab release problems. The other two can pretty much glide right over Luma and take Rosalina on head on. Peach and Jigglypuff also have really strong aerial games and Rosalina is really at home in the air as well, and based on my experience, Rosalina has some difficulties beating Peach and especially Jigglypuff in the air. I would probably put the Peach and Jigglypuff matchups as 40:60 or 45:55 in their favor.

With customs on, I really do think LuciMarth is our worst matchup as they already have a solid air game and now have the Dash Breaker to have a massive amount of stage presence which leaves Rosalina in a very awkward position in my opinion.

Bushando64

King of the 64-Bit Realm
NNID
Bushando
3DS FC
1547-5186-5659
Switch FC
SW 5128 8278 7987
:4dedede:
I used to main Dedede in Brawl, so I can tell you that playing against one now is a similar case but with a different twist. Pretty much all of his moves have either good range, have a lot of knockback, or both (except his down-tilt which is now some goofy roll or something). Most Dededes in Smash 3DS seem to try forcing you to play offensively by tossing Gordos in your direction--which can be knocked back by an attack/reflector/neutralized by Gravtiational Pull--and proceed to chase you around in the air. All of Dedede's aerials are pretty good, but they have a lot of end lag which can be taken advantage of. Be cautious of shielding too much against Dedede, as most of his moves almost totally shave it off in one fell swoop. Luma's Star Bits can also be effective in keeping Dedede at bay when spaced properly, as well as Luma using attacks in general. I personally believe that Dedede's biggest weakness is that he's a big ol' penguin; connecting with hits is easier on him than most characters, but he's also the third-heaviest character in the game, so tread lightly. Gimping is also generally out of the questions since he still retains super armor when using his recovery (except for directly underneath him).

:4rob:
ROB has always been pretty well-rounded in both the long- and close-range department. Fortunately, Gravitational Pull practically neuters its camping game; though, like any smart player, they'll know when to throw out projectiles when you least expect it. You can also pull in the Gyromite and use it yourself if you have the opportunity. ROB also has decent range in his tilts and Smash attacks, and his side-special is actually particularly useful in order to make progression on the ground while keeping offensive momentum. Most of ROB's aerials and Smash attacks have a decent amount of start-up lag, so this gives you an advantage in that you could shield it and follow up with a grab, or use a Luma-linked dash attack to close the distance and start wailing on it. Since Luma has a lot of potential to be knocked out from seemingly random projectiles, learning how to perform well as SoRo would be beneficial. ROB is a character where gimping is difficult. but not impossible, due to the amount of time it takes for it to run out of gas that you can still pressure with neutral- or forward-air. Just be careful of retaliation.

EDIT: Shoot, @ Starbound Starbound , I wish I saw your post before I posted. That's a fantastic place to start. :cool:

Last edited:

Saltix

Smash Lord
I think these might be Rosalina's worst matchups and so I think they'd be good starting points if we start focusing on specific characters for a time period.

:4lucina::4marth::4sheik::4zss::4greninja::4littlemac:: Grouping these guys together because they're all threatening to Rosalina and Luma for the same reason: they're fast enough to get around your Luma spacing and so it's easier for them to take Rosalina on one on one. For example with Marth and Lucina, they can jump over Luma and hit you with fair if you get sloppy with Luma spacing. I would probably place the first five as a 40:60 to 45:55 matchup in their favor (specifically Lucina and Marth as 40:60 and Sheik, ZSS and Greninja as 45:55), and Little Mac as 50:50.

I personally haven't had any problems with Marth or Lucina players, you just have to be a little more conservative with Luma Shots, and use Star Bits a little more in the match up. I don't think they have an advantage over us. I would however place Yoshi and Megaman in their place.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master

:4peach::4jigglypuff::4wario:: Due to how strong of an aerial game these three have, they're able to get around Luma really easily. Wario is probably the easiest of the three to beat, and I think we may actually have an advantage in this matchup due to grab release problems. The other two can pretty much glide right over Luma and take Rosalina on head on. Peach and Jigglypuff also have really strong aerial games and Rosalina is really at home in the air as well, and based on my experience, Rosalina has some difficulties beating Peach and especially Jigglypuff in the air. I would probably put the Peach and Jigglypuff matchups as 40:60 or 45:55 in their favor.

With customs on, I really do think LuciMarth is our worst matchup as they already have a solid air game and now have the Dash Breaker to have a massive amount of stage presence which leaves Rosalina in a very awkward position in my opinion.
I haven't had any trouble with Lucina or Marth online, but on the other hand...online. I think we outrange them slightly if Luma is around to extend the hit? Not entirely sure, but I was able to deal with them easily enough with defensive tilt play and throwing out Luma if they're across the stage.

Greninja I can see being a problem but the ones I've fought have all been kind of meh so no real comment there. I did notice that if you see him prepping a Shadow Sneak you can easily shield the hit and punish with a smash, although some stages render this impossible due to color or perspective which may be the oddest criteria for a counterpick I've ever heard of. Utilt/uair beats out his dair if you space it right so that's good. Full charge Water Shuriken has to be avoided or absorbed because it'll go straight through Luma, partial charges don't pierce though.

For Peach, someone better than me may be able to get some important nuggets of information out of this video from ClashTournaments. Peach vs. Rosalina on Yoshi's, Battlefield, and FD.

I know very little about any of their custom options since I'm still trying to unlock them all. RNGesus hates me and insists on giving 10+ equipment pieces.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I've been playing with fellow forum members outside of For glory modes. So we are talking stages like battlefield and custom moves.

I think one character that we need to keep an eye on is Palutena, especially with custom moves. Super speed is a devastating move of hers. It has both super armor, the ability to just plow through both Luma and Palutena, and combo potential.

Then theres her up-air, which has more priority then Rosalina's down air and can hit quite hard. Then combine that with Palutena's light weight, if she knocks you high up, she can reach you, and quite quickly as well.

Palutena is going to be quite the foe I feel.

Starbound

Peach and Jigglypuff are definitely our worst matches.

You can grav pull the turnips but Peach will punish you for doing so. Luma spacing is effectively pointless in this matchup as Peach will float over Luma and she moves faster than Luma can attack (this part also applies to Jigglypuff). Challenging Peach in the air is begging to get destroyed by her really fast aerials like Fair and Dair so you're locked to the ground. I think she also has a faster Jab or I'm too slow at inputting it.

I'd really like some input on how you guys beat Peach because I faced a few in For Glory and couldn't manage to take a stock off of them.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Peach and Jigglypuff are definitely our worst matches.

You can grav pull the turnips but Peach will punish you for doing so. Luma spacing is effectively pointless in this matchup as Peach will float over Luma and she moves faster than Luma can attack (this part also applies to Jigglypuff). Challenging Peach in the air is begging to get destroyed by her really fast aerials like Fair and Dair so you're locked to the ground. I think she also has a faster Jab or I'm too slow at inputting it.

I'd really like some input on how you guys beat Peach because I faced a few in For Glory and couldn't manage to take a stock off of them.
Against Peach, something I'd like to try is keeping it attached to Rosalina and trying to utilt Peach out of her float. I'm not sure if the range is sufficient though.

It's tricky to test because Peach isn't really popular in For Glory. And the ones that do show up tend to know what they're doing.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
May I ask how Jigglypuff is a bad match-up for Rosalina? It may have good aerial speed, but Rosalina does have some attacks that can outreach it, especially if the Luma isn't contained.

Perhaps the dilemma has something to do with how Jigglypuff can approach? Last I've checked, it doesn't exactly have any safe approaches.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
May I ask how Jigglypuff is a bad match-up for Rosalina? It may have good aerial speed, but Rosalina does have some attacks that can outreach it, especially if the Luma isn't contained.

Perhaps the dilemma has something to do with how Jigglypuff can approach? Last I've checked, it doesn't exactly have any safe approaches.
I think it's because a lot of our stage presence stems from Luma, and Luma doesn't generally leave the ground unless you force it in the air and keep it there by spamming attacks (which can be punished). Jigglypuff excels in the air and can just jump right over Luma. Therefore Jigglypuff can negate one of our biggest strengths.

I'm not sufficiently versed in the matchup to really make a judgement call, but that seems to be the logic.

Starbound

Luma provides Rosalina with a ton of stage control possibilities. Jigglypuff really doesn't care though because she's never on the stage. Luma lacks any ability to really control the air due to it's AI.

It's like how in Brawl, Diddy Kong struggled with Peach and Wario because their air games kept them in the air.

I will say though that I'm finding Jigglypuff easier than Peach.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I just think that the Jigglypuff vs. Rosalina match-up needs to be looked at more closely. Jigglypuff's aerial game might be good, but that's pretty much overruled if you can't even approach your opponent safely, and obviously, attacking from above is just asking for an up tilt in the face by Rosalina.

Basically, I'm just saying that it's too soon to jump to conclusions with that match-up, as it might end up favoring Rosalina more.

I will agree that Little Mac can be a problem for Rosalina though.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Jigglypuff's bair is once again pretty huge and very good. She can camp that all she wants until it sticks. Fair is also capable of creating a Wall of Pain.

Not to mention Rosalina is a huge and very light target. Optimal for Rest, which doesn't suck in this game. All she needs is a good read (or an easy to setup uair Rest) and it's going to be a very early kill for Jiggs.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Jigglypuff's bair is once again pretty huge and very good. She can camp that all she wants until it sticks. Fair is also capable of creating a Wall of Pain.

Not to mention Rosalina is a huge and very light target. Optimal for Rest, which doesn't suck in this game. All she needs is a good read (or an easy to setup uair Rest) and it's going to be a very early kill for Jiggs.
I guess in that situation, Rosalina would have to be more defensive by always keeping the Luma by her side; don't rely on Luma Shot. And the stage format does play a factor outside of Omega Form stages.

Containing the Luma would have to be Jigglypuff's first priority, since as long as it's around, it can mess up Jigglypuff's approaches with the Star Bits. Of course, I can't say for sure if Jigglypuff's back aerial has higher priority than the Star Bits.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
People are sort of just throwing "OMG I FOUND ROSALINA'S WORST MATCH UP" willy nilly without thinking it through.

Of all of the ones people have mentioned, the only one I'm having problems with right now is Zero Suit Samus, and it's only for two things:

-Down B is obnoxious and gets ZSS out of anything I try to do and makes for a counter too. It also sets her up for a lot of combos. ZSS's fast attacks would not be a problem if it wasn't for this move. This move means she can chain attacks from or to a retreat and/or approach option.
-Neutral B can cripple Luma way too easily, and makes Luma Shot useless.

Everyone else that has been mentioned is either actually very easy for Rosalina and people are just missing obvious points, is easy with a bit of practice, or is someone I admittedly have not faced with Rosalina, but I do not see any glaring problems.

Last edited:

Zero Suit Senpai

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5000-4318-0259
People are sort of just throwing "OMG I FOUND ROSALINA'S WORST MATCH UP" willy nilly without thinking it through.

Everyone else that has been mentioned is either actually very easy for Rosalina and people are just missing obvious points, is easy with a bit of practice, or is someone I admittedly have not faced with Rosalina, but I do not see any glaring problems.
Not arguing Sheik is Rosalina's worst matchup, but I'd be genuinely, genuinely surprised if the Rosa vs. Sheik ended up being "very easy" like 6-4 in Rosalina's favor, as opposed to 5-5 or 4-6.

Sheik shares many strengths with ZSS (who you find difficult) when facing Rosalina, such as her needles which can very very easily stop Luma shot at the drop of a hat.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but if you shield ZSS's kick when she down Bs doesn't she bounce off of you and land on the ground in front of you completely vulnerable to attack? Dash attack and DACUS have worked well for me to punish her down b. But yeah, it gives her annoying mobility.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Sheik is a lot easier than ZSS IMO, because she has less range on most of her normals and Smash attacks, as well as more punishable aerials, and needles don't literally paralyse Luma (since ZSS's stun gun makes Luma get stuck and THEN pop out). Needles are also paper thin. They have a lot of horizontal range but virtually no width, so I find them easier to dodge. They also are not great at close range, while ZSS's stun gun is. Also, Sheik's horizontal aerial speed is very bad, in contrast to Rosalina having it pretty good in that department.

I had trouble against a Sheik today while using Mario (I would have won if not for some stuttering frames, though...) only because Sheik's dodges are great, but Rosalina is able to deal with really good dodges since she has them too and can trap people between Luma and herself, among other things

Bushando64

King of the 64-Bit Realm
NNID
Bushando
3DS FC
1547-5186-5659
Switch FC
SW 5128 8278 7987
This might be one of the largest posts of all time, so bear with me, here. :cool:

I already said my piece on :4sheik: and :4zss:, SO!

:4lucina:
I personally disagree with a 40:60 advantage in Lucina's favor; at least, from what I've experienced playing against her so far. As @ Starbound Starbound already mentioned, sloppy spacing with Luma would be Rosalina's biggest mistake--as well as underestimating Lucina's dash-attack, since it cuts through Luma and helps her approach--but PROPER spacing works absolute wonders for an anti-approach game. Star Bits play a big factor in pushing Lucina away from your position as I believe it out-ranges everything in the swordswoman's arsenal, and it aids Rosalina's approach by giving her a second or two to move freely without consequence. Rosalina's neutral-air and back-air help with spacing, as well, especially linked with Luma for added range and knockback. Lucina's Smash attacks--while powerful--all have a decent amount of end-lag, so if shielded properly a grab, tilt, or Smash-attack of Rosalina's would be appropriate responses. Same goes for any of Lucina's aerials that don't end up auto-canceling on the ground. Gimping Lucina with Rosalina's aerials is also very plausible as Lucina's recovery is very predictable. Two things that a Rosalina player must watch our for are Lucina's Counter, and--above ALL else--her Shield Breaker. Try delaying your hits to wait for the Counter to deactivate but still have Lucina be in her recovery frames, and if you feel like a Shield Breaker is incoming, GET OUT OF THERE. Roll, dash, jump, spot-dodge if you must, but NEVER shield on a Shield Breaker. You will be punished severely, especially since Rosalina is so tall and light.

:4marth:
Honestly, in my opinion, playing against Marth is pretty much the same as playing against Lucina. He's slower, heavier, a little taller, and hits harder with the tip of his sword, but otherwise has the same moveset and general "feel" to him. Refer to the above paragraph for further information.
(I've only fought Marth once or twice so hopefully I can expand on this further at a later time.)

:4greninja:
To me, playing against Greninja is like playing against Shiek. However, I feel as though Greninja doesn't pack quite as hard of a punch, but this is mitigated somewhat by increased range and speed which is mostly notable with its Smash attacks. It's actually a bit difficult to punish Greninja's Smashes if the opponent spaces them properly. The ninja frog's recovery in Hydro Pump is also superior to Shiek's, as it acts as a better FLUDD while also covering a large distance and functions similarly to Pikachu's Quick Attack. In the air, Greninja has the potential of out-ranging Rosalina's aerials with his own, but if he misses a down-air then he's almost guaranteed to be punished. I personally think that Greninja's special moves are what should be watched out for the most, though. While it's pretty easy to predict Shadow Sneak, it's punishable about 50% of the time if your opponent knows the hitbox for it and how to space it properly. Water Shuriken is almost a non-issue, as Luma can eat up a ton of uncharged shots and Gravitational Pull neutralizes fully-charged shots; be aware, however, that a fully-charged Water Shuriken can cut right through Luma and has the potential to hit Rosalina, linked or unlinked. Lastly, the Substitute is something to watch out for, as it's a bit difficult to predict where the retaliation is coming from, but it's a very precise counter that doesn't last for too long and has a lot of start-up AND ending lag in the animation.

:4littlemac:
Little Mac is a strange case in that on the ground, he's a monster. All of his jabs, tilts, and Smashes have good range and ridiculous damage and knockback, he has a quick dash-attack that can plow through Luma, his charge/KO punch that's just plain stupid-strong, and a counter and haymaker that have invincibility frames (side-special has them when used on the ground). But then, it sets in. This man is all upper-body; his performance in the air and off the ledge is almost laughable. This is where Rosalina and Luma have the advantage, as all of our aerials fare well against Mac especially when Luma is linked to Rosalina. A particular strategy that I like to use is to stay linked with Luma, face away from and right on the ledge, and attempt to bait the dash-attack or Jolt Haymaker. Pressure and poke with Star Bits whenever the opportunity arises. Worst-case scenario for Rosalina is that she'll lose Luma--if they're linked together--and you get a potential free back-throw/down-Smash and have a TON of flexibility for gimping. Just play carefully and keep in mind that since Rosalina is tall and light, Mac could probably kill you in four or five well-placed hits.

*I'll evaluate these three match-ups once I get off of work. :substitute:

:4peach:
[is a woman]

:4jigglypuff:
[is a balloon]

:4wario2:
[is a man balloon]

Starbound

Yeah, after playing against more Lucinas and Marths, I think I overestimated their abilities to wreck Rosalina. The matchup seems pretty even.

LonelyJaguar

Smash Cadet
I definitely think ZSS is Rosaluma's worst matchup. They're my two mains so I'm pretty familiar with them both.

ZSS has so much speed, range, and knock back with most of her attacks and it's easy for her to follow up and juggle you. I fought a really good Rosaluma the other day in For Glory as ZSS, and she almost beat me. I think she would've if she had timed the usage of Luma Shot better the few times she used it.

You really have to watch out for ZSS' flip jump if you're trying to space with Luma. Honestly, it seems best to just keep Luma with you against ZSS because she can easily stun it with Neutral B, or just jump over it and assault you with her flip jump.

Starbound

Now that we've had the game for a while, would you guys be open to discussing one character's matchup vs Rosalina in depth for a few days and then move on to another character until we complete the cast?

Bushando64

King of the 64-Bit Realm
NNID
Bushando
3DS FC
1547-5186-5659
Switch FC
SW 5128 8278 7987
Oh man, I can't wait to finish this write-up on these characters that Rosalina has a hard time against--

Oh, look, @ Starbound Starbound sniped me yet again with another brilliant idea. Okay then. Never mind. :drfacepalm:

In all seriousness, I can totally dig that. It'll allow us to get even more of a detailed feel on how to handle each character specifically without jumping around all over the place and getting off-topic.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That'll be fine, though I likely won't be able to contribute, as I do not consider myself qualified for discussing complex things like that in relation to Rosalina, with such depth.

Bushando64

King of the 64-Bit Realm
NNID
Bushando
3DS FC
1547-5186-5659
Switch FC
SW 5128 8278 7987
Well, hey, I'm not exactly a Smash 3DS expert either. I'm just taking what I've learned through watching gameplay videos and playing other people online/real life and putting it into words to share with my fellow Rosalinas and their Lumas. :drflip:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's more that I don't feel I'm too amazing with Rosalina. That, and I'm really starting to think we should wait until the Wii U version. Precise characters like Rosalina and Sonic really suffer from the Circle Pad. Rosalina's recovery especially. I feel like I might do better with her on the Wii U, with a GC Controller.

I also have not been playing Rosalina as much as I'd like to, because most of my Smash time has been in college, where I can't play online. So when in college, I've been tackling the solo challenges, which involves playing as the whole cast. Since I did every mode as Rosalina early on, and got all of her customs early on, I don't really have any incentive to use her right now unless I'm at home to play online, where I am finding a lot of games with questionable connection lately.

And I know for a fact it's not my connection that's bad.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
It's more that I don't feel I'm too amazing with Rosalina. That, and I'm really starting to think we should wait until the Wii U version. Precise characters like Rosalina and Sonic really suffer from the Circle Pad. Rosalina's recovery especially. I feel like I might do better with her on the Wii U, with a GC Controller.

I also have not been playing Rosalina as much as I'd like to, because most of my Smash time has been in college, where I can't play online. So when in college, I've been tackling the solo challenges, which involves playing as the whole cast. Since I did every mode as Rosalina early on, and got all of her customs early on, I don't really have any incentive to use her right now unless I'm at home to play online, where I am finding a lot of games with questionable connection lately.

And I know for a fact it's not my connection that's bad.
Well there's nothing that says we can't revisit the matchups when the Wii U version drops.

Personally I'd be fine with taking a few days each to discuss specific matchups in depth. The big question is which ones we do first, and accounting for the fact that a lot of our experience so far is in For Glory.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Match-up results may end up differing between the 3DS and Wii U versions, especially when you take into account the stage choices.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Match-up results may end up differing between the 3DS and Wii U versions, especially when you take into account the stage choices.
That's true, but I think it would be a bit unwieldy to have a separate "3DS Matchup Thread" and "Wii U Matchup Thread." I'd certainly support noting any differences that arise between versions, but I'm not convinced we need to hold off on a thread just because the Wii U version is due in about a month.

Holding off because we don't have a firm grasp of the matchups in question would be reasonable, but IDK how far along that is in general.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Here's a post that someone made, regarding the Bowser Jr. vs. Rosalina match-up.

I find Rosalina to be a pretty bad matchup for Jr.. I haven't been able to find out what to do against her. Mechakoopas/Cannonballs are useless against her, she can even just use the Mechakoopas against you if you use deploy one. Approaching her is difficult, as you can't use Mechakoopas for help, and you can't use Side B to approach because Luma Shot beats it, and if you jump cancel it to get over Luma Shot, she can use any of her aerials to beat yours. I can't seem to challenge her aerials, mainly her Uair, Fair, and Bair, so being in the air against her kinda sucks, and landing against her is difficult because her Uair beats everything Jr. can do because of the range/disjoint. She can also Dthrow -> Fair you at relatively low percents. I've been playing a lot of Jr. vs Rosalina against one of my good friends, and he always seems to have the upper hand.

Percentful

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5026-4947-0924
The only real trouble I've come across is :4lucario: purely because he hits like a truck once you rack up damage. Once he's past maybe 90%, he was consistently killing Luma if he landed a hit at all. And his range increases enough that you can't really risk approaching, but you die if he hits you.
(Every character has to deal with this, though.)

Against Rosalina, I think :4peach: and :4sheik: are generally handle because they can get in close very easily. Heavy hitters can also be dangerous if you aren't careful simply because they'll win the hit-trading game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom