• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Pyrosphere isn't the same shape as the Geothermal Power Plant.
Eh, it's not perfect, (I know the original Geothermal Power Plant was not an octagon) but the dimensions of the stage appear to be roughly the same.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not sure how many smashers even know what bdsm is. They'll Google it and come back with rush knowledge.

Ive been thinking that they're aren't too many obvious shoo ins for the roster. I feel better about ridleys chances every day.
I was thinking about it earlier and realized that if we add in the remaining 3 of the original 12 and the Gematsu leak, we'll be at 39, from there, if we add the "Big 4 Villains" Namely Mewtwo, Ridley, K. Rool, and Ganondorf as well as Meta Knight, Lucas, Wario, Wolf, and Falco, we'll be at 48 characters with a Random Button, with cuts of G&W, R.O.B., Ice Climbers, Snake, Ivysaur, and Squirtle.

This would lead to a 3 x 12 Row x Column arrangement with the expected random button being by itself on the bottom row. Since I feel that such a size is plausible, and that we may not get all of the Brawl Vets back (as I listed), I too feel that Ridley's chances are better now than ever.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
View attachment 16431
People! Praise any and all versions of our lord RIDLEY! PRAISE HIM!
I will praise any version that is not a furby on steroids, a lizard on steroids, or a duck on steroids...

I was thinking about it earlier and realized that if we add in the remaining 3 of the original 12 and the Gematsu leak, we'll be at 39, from there, if we add the "Big 4 Villains" Namely Mewtwo, Ridley, K. Rool, and Ganondorf as well as Meta Knight, Lucas, Wario, Wolf, and Falco, we'll be at 48 characters with a Random Button, with cuts of G&W, R.O.B., Ice Climbers, Snake, Ivysaur, and Squirtle.

This would lead to a 3 x 12 Row x Column arrangement with the expected random button being by itself on the bottom row. Since I feel that such a size is plausible, and that we may not get all of the Brawl Vets back (as I listed), I too feel that Ridley's chances are better now than ever.
I really hope R.O.B. doesn't get cut, but if he must be sacrificed for Ridley, so be it...

majora_787

Smash Hero

I seriously doubt we're going to have six cuts. Especially two of which being characters who have been implied to already be in the game as it is. I'm pretty sure we'll have a 51 character roster, as opposed to 47. Or whatever it would be.

3, maybe 4 cuts, Mewtwo, 36/37 characters... Eight newcomers... 44/45 characters... 7/8 newcomers. One for the August direct, 6/7 left as surprises for after the game is out. Including Ridley. Obviously. And then Miis off in their Mii menu for people who want to make dozens of Ridley miis to square off against the original.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
@Epsilon52 I hope this thing I found helps with the size comparison with the Ridley references...
20120127170205 - Copy.png

The owner of the models I think he altered the Brawl Varia Suit a little...

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
People should really stop trying to speculate the roster based on how the character select screen would look. The CSS molds to the roster, not the other way around.

50-53 is more plausible than just 47-48.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm just saying that I think we're more liable to get 50 or just barely more than we are to get six cuts and a fake leak making up 100% of the roster. And honestly, I think 51 characters with Miis on the side is a pretty good number. I have no idea what Sakurai would do with more than 7 more newcomers or what have you.

JohnathanACE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JohnathanACE
3DS FC
0946-2312-2428
I seriously doubt we're going to have six cuts. Especially two of which being characters who have been implied to already be in the game as it is. I'm pretty sure we'll have a 51 character roster, as opposed to 47. Or whatever it would be.
People should really stop trying to speculate the roster based on how the character select screen would look. The CSS molds to the roster, not the other way around.

50-53 is more plausible than just 47-48.
Common guys we need cuts, we all know Ridley is so big he'll take up 10 slots on the roster.

Yeah but seriously though I'd be kinda pissed if the roster was anything under 50 plus I really don't like the idea of cuts even if they're characters I don't play.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
We already have three cuts as it is now I'm pretty sure, and for us to have much under 50 we would either need to have twice as many cuts, OR Sakurai has no other new characters to show us for this game. Except for maybe one or two, one of which would be shown in August. And that just seems like the exact opposite of a Sakurai thing to do. That is to say, I'm pretty sure if we had a roster much less than 50 and not basically 50/51, we'd just have seen less than we've actually been given.

BUTT we'll find out.

GreatRagnarok

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Neodragon22
3DS FC
3007-8564-4279
I just come back to read the topic and there is a discussion about Ridley's gender?

The many surprises in this topic is way too high for me sometimes.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I just come back to read the topic and there is a discussion about Ridley's gender?

The many surprises in this topic is way too high for me sometimes.
The next surprise: Ridley isn't playable. Or a boss. He is the *3DS game cartridge*. Everyone gets a Ridley and must coerce him into their 3DS without dying. Only the strong get to play.

D

Deleted member

The next surprise: Ridley isn't playable. Or a boss. He is the *3DS game cartridge*. Everyone gets a Ridley and must coerce him into their 3DS without dying. Only the strong get to play.
So what I'm hearing you say is that we go and buy miniature Purple Space Dragons from our Local Gamestop and have to shove Ridley as he viciously fights back into the very thin 3DS cartridge slot. How would anyone enjoy playing as Ridley in the crippled mess that he would probably be once we got him to "fit" in the slot enough for the game to register him and play the game?

Or does Ridley just shapeshift back to a usable form once we get him to fit? :awesome:

Last edited by a moderator:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Is there any promotional art of Ridley from before Super Metroid?

I'm wondering if he actually received a complete redesign, or if the physical limitations of the NES stopped him from being portrayed as always intended.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Actually, I found some Japanese artwork that looks more like that:

THIS LITTLE CUTIE FATTY RIDLEY MAKES ME DIE OF CUTENESS OVERLOAD EVERY TIME!! :love:

LOL the bottom one looks like something out of a Godzilla movie. XD

@AndreaAC
Hey Andrea, as much as I know you hate Roidly you gotta admit he still looks better than deformed NES instruction book Ridley.
xD well, yeah, it looks way better than that hideous thing....but still, I don't like it, but you know. with my silly version Roidley I have calmed down my hatred a little bit.

Last edited:

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord

Please ignore garbage rib art, most of my efforts went into the face. I went in the Mangley direction, anything I should add or subtract?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
That image was in the Japanese Manual of Metroid as well:

Back in the early sprite era it seems like they would have official artwork that looked almost nothing like the Sprites themselves probably either because the Artist took a weird liberty with the design or they actually thought it looked better for some reason, the 80s were a weird time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Please ignore garbage rib art, most of my efforts went into the face. I went in the Mangley direction, anything I should add or subtract?
I imagine that Ridley would like to have a right arm, shoulder, and chest. :troll:

EDIT: Since I don't feel like burning another post I'll just tag you. So @ AbioFlesh AbioFlesh , I absolutely love the facial design, in fact if that was put in the game I'd accept with no questions at all, it really captures how intimidating Ridley is as a creature. I also like the thicker neck, if there was every one thing that I would complain about in Ridley's original design, it's that his neck is as thick as a pencil, and the way you've drawn it here is a nice remedy and fits well with the rest of the body. Also, I think the ribs are just fine, I'm no artist, but they look fine to me and the Ridley model that often I often think of has a similarly prominent rib cage. I also think the muscular definition you've gone with for his chest and shoulders fits Ridley's body perfectly, its not too bulky and at the same time not too little either. All I would say that's left is to finish out the model, but again I'm no artist, @ AndreaAC AndreaAC would be able to help you a little more in that department.
I'd also like to take this time to apologize to you, @ majora_787 majora_787 and the others who've had to witness first hand the pathetic stupidity I'm capable of and have exhibited through my uninspired, immature, and unclever posts over the last 2 hours. I just hope that my stupidity hasn't been enough yet for you all to develop a deep hatred for me, and again I apologize.

Last edited by a moderator:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Trivia for the Ridley thread: In Nintendo Power's May 2003 issue (#168), Meta RIdley was voted the "Best New Villain" in their 2002 game awards. Doesn't mean much but hey that happened.

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
I imagine that Ridley would like to have a right arm, shoulder, and chest. :troll:
Yeah, he does have them. It's a total mess and I was too lazy to dig for anatomy references. So no show. Comments on the face?

Back in the early sprite era it seems like they would have official artwork that looked almost nothing like the Sprites themselves probably either because the Artist took a weird liberty with the design or they actually thought it looked better for some reason, the 80s were a weird time.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Queen Xenomorph...

Thank you for the new avatar. :bee:

Trivia for the Ridley thread: In Nintendo Power's May 2003 issue (#168), Meta RIdley was voted the "Best New Villain" in their 2002 game awards. Doesn't mean much but hey that happened.
Woah, really? Ridley isn't exactly who I would call a new villain in 2002, but that's really interesting.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master

Well, one interesting thing about it is that it looks completely alien, rather than a dragon in space.

Top Bottom