• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
But what if she's just in a ridley suit?

Also does anyone know if some people actually have tried to cosplay Rids?
ridley_cospix_by_chozoboy-d59jnki.jpg

Yup, that's a cosplay...or cospix as they call it

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Guyz I came hear bcuz i relized sumthing Ridley cant be in smash bross and hears y hes just too big and no won likes him plus hes ugly and i think crystal frum star fox shuld be in cuz shes cute and deserves it and i likw her staf

Idk, I'm just bored and wanted to contributed something to this thriving thread. This is like the social hangout spot of Smashboards.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
I've noticed how the majority of the veterans not yet revealed were unlockable at least once throughout the series. The game's going to be out in just a few months, so unless the reveals take a huge jump in speed, we won't see the whole roster by release time.

Soooo, who's to say there aren't newcomers we don't know about either? (Not counting Chrom/Shulk/Chorus Kids)

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm completely expecting the Chorus Kids to be revealed this August. From what I've heard, Rhythm Heaven is very popular in Japan, and it would make sense to reveal them the month before SSB4 comes out in Japan.

I guess Ridley could be an unlockable newcomer like some of the other villains in past games, like Ganondorf and Wolf.

D

Deleted member

I've noticed how the majority of the veterans not yet revealed were unlockable at least once throughout the series. The game's going to be out in just a few months, so unless the reveals take a huge jump in speed, we won't see the whole roster by release time.

Soooo, who's to say there aren't newcomers we don't know about either? (Not counting Chrom/Shulk/Chorus Kids)
Well, I remember during the Treehouse stream that Nate Bildorf (Treehouse's "Smash expert" although I thought he was average at best) said when he was discussing Link's characteristics (iirc) and the Pac-Man reveal that there were "a few characters [he was] leaning towards that haven't been announced yet." Of course this could mean anyone, but I'd like to see newcomers that we haven't heard of so long as they're not WFT repeats (in terms of "oddness"), and I hope (obviously) that one of those happens to be Ridley, if we're going from a strict Newcomers-that-haven't-been-leaked standpoint as opposed to strictly odd characters.

Lanog20

Smash Apprentice
If Rhythm Heaven's anniversary is in August then I think we will just have to learn the fate of Ridley when the game releases in Japan...

Unless we get more than one newcomer during the direct which is unlikely.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant

Yes, I did the math previously on this, and assuming two more reveals pre-release with four cuts, we're inline with the previous games' expansion pattern with a reasonable 51-53 characters, along with their starter-unlockable ratios. So unless we're getting a roster dump at the next direct (unlikely, as Sakurai even said at E3 he wants to keep some stuff secret to find out for ourselves), we definitely have more newcomers than the Gematsu leak left.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm fully expecting Chorus Men and Chrom to be unlockable, Chorus Men seem like our token unlockable WTF addition (even for Japan such a concept sounds whacky in Smash I'm sure), and Chrom will be the third FE character, and usually FE has at least one unlockable character. Others that I'd expect to be unlockable if in are Ridley, K. Rool, Mewtwo, Sceptile, a Zelda newcomer, and Bandana Dee. Either their series already have plenty of characters on the starting roster (Zelda, Pokémon, Kirby) or they simply fit the nature of unlockables very well (Ridley and K. Rool.)

Shulk could be revealed pre-release, he'd be able to hype up both the west and the east, so I think he's got the best shot in August as the last newcomer, unless someone that isn't leaked jumps in and takes his spotlight.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Shulk will be revealed in August, any other newcomers will stay as "surprises" for when people pick the game. That is my bet.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Queen Xenomorph...

Never thought Charizard being skinned as Ridley or vice-versa would get that much a reaction out of me again but that totally made my day earlier. Ridley you stealthy ****.

I know instruction booklet Ridley looks atrocious....but....it looks better in comparison to this...

View attachment 16440 :sick:
Now you know why I say Captain N or anything connected to him is garbage.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ridley being confirmed as female.
Such heresy!

*ahem* Since someone asked earlier if there was another concept storyboard with Ridley like in the Super Metroid prologue, here's the one with Meta-Ridley in Prime 3.

And back to older concept art talk, it is interesting how the earlier version of Omega Ridley on the left here has the same kind of arms and legs as your usual space pirate in the game, making him look even more humanoid and suggesting he's the same race as them but a different/unique variant. The smaller wings are weird though, but the skeletal look is a different kind of awesome, despite the weird skull. Guess that may have been a transparent Ridley they were maybe gonna do at first like Dark Samus at the end of Prime 2 where you saw the skull, veins, and everything inside her.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
So today's PotD features a boss character in trophy form, Sonic 3 & Knuckles' Eggrobo, and confirmed as an enemy in Smash Run.

Another boss character confirmed and shown before Ridley then. Heh.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
So today's PotD features a boss character in trophy form, Sonic 3 & Knuckles' Eggrobo, and confirmed as an enemy in Smash Run.

Another boss character confirmed and shown before Ridley then. Heh.
If you want to get technical he was only a boss in Knuckles version of the game where he took Eggman's place as the pilot of the robots. In Sonic's game, he was a generic enemy in the Sky Sanctuary Zone.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I don't know where you're looking, but those legs look far from human with feet that long.
I was talking about how Ridley's arms and legs in the concept on the left almost perfectly resemble that of your usual humanoid space pirates in the Prime games. The ones that didn't have the "pincer arms" anyway. The legs in particular are like that of the Pirate Commandos or something IIRC. Don't need to nitpick it though, but I just found that interesting.

Last edited:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I was talking about how Ridley's arms and legs in the concept on the left almost perfectly resemble that of your usual humanoid space pirates in the Prime games. The ones that didn't have the "pincer arms" anyway. The legs in particular are that of the Pirate Commandos, IIRC.
If you consider that humanoid, sure. The Primes were full of that leg type though. It's the reason I like those pirate designs so much. Not that I've talked about how much I like them before, but still.

D

Deleted member 245254

Yes, I did the math previously on this, and assuming two more reveals pre-release with four cuts, we're inline with the previous games' expansion pattern with a reasonable 51-53 characters, along with their starter-unlockable ratios. So unless we're getting a roster dump at the next direct (unlikely, as Sakurai even said at E3 he wants to keep some stuff secret to find out for ourselves), we definitely have more newcomers than the Gematsu leak left.
Well that won't happen anyway since JP is getting the game a month before you...so it's really not ideal for him to keep anything secret anyway...

Last edited by a moderator:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Guys, I did an analysis of the roster based on the theory that characters will always appear in the same order as they do in the final game, just like Brawl.

Ridley fits in perfectly, as do K Rool (or another DK rep) and oddly enough, Hades (or another KI rep).
Here it is
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/69464105

I am farely confident that this will be our final roster, or something similar.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Guys, I did an analysis of the roster based on the theory that characters will always appear in the same order as they do in the final game, just like Brawl.

Ridley fits in perfectly, as do K Rool (or another DK rep) and oddly enough, Hades (or another KI rep).
Here it is

You shouldn't use the CSS to speculate the final roster; the CSS molds to the roster, not the other way around. Saying a character will be in because they "fit into the first row perfectly" is terrible and has no basis on how the roster would actually be decided.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
You shouldn't use the CSS to speculate the final roster; the CSS molds to the roster, not the other way around. Saying a character will be in because they "fit into the first row perfectly" is terrible and has no basis on how the roster would actually be decided.
Not sure what your trying to say but I would like to point you in the direction of Brawls demo roster.

Now look at the final roster and ignore every character that isn't in the demo.

You will notice that every character appears in the same order, no matter how many you have.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Not sure what your trying to say but I would like to point you in the direction of Brawls demo roster.

Now look at the final roster and ignore every character that isn't in the demo.

You will notice that every character appears in the same order, no matter how many you have.
I'm saying trying to speculate anything based on the CSS is bull****, as the CSS is constantly modified to fit the needs of the roster, not vice versa. A character isn't put in because "they would make the CSS look nice by being in the first row", nor is anyone cut out because "there's no room for them on the CSS".

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Thing is that they have decided the roster a long time ago, and thus they design the CSS specifically with the roster in mind, the Brawl demo CSS also shows this, combine it with the ChaosZero leak of that time and voila. The CSS is indicative of what the final roster could look like, the problem is that there are so many possible outcomes that it's hard to come to a definite conclusion.

47 characters with Shulk, Chrom and Chorus Men being the last newcomers + Lucas and Snake cut is the most likely scenario as is though. Ridley will only be included if there is an additional cut to that, or we bump it up to 51 characters.

Last edited:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I'm saying trying to speculate anything based on the CSS is bull****, as the CSS is constantly modified to fit the needs of the roster, not vice versa. A character isn't put in because "they would make the CSS look nice by being in the first row", nor is anyone cut out because "there's no room for them on the CSS".
I don't think it was based on that.

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman

Here it is

I am fairly confident that this will be our final roster, or something similar.
That is very interesting, I hope you are right cause if it is we could be looking at a very good roster.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
On to another topic...
What do you think will be Ridley's new "nickname" in the next Metroid game?

Here are some potential names I came up with :idea:

Alpha Ridley
Eclipse Ridley <- Personal favorite
Shadow Ridley
Void Ridley
Omni Ridley

I swear, This Space Dragon is probably the only video game character I know with so many nicknames :chuckle:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant

Here it is

I looked it over, and I'll admit it's a bit more credible than the other CSS speculations (especially the one that said we were only getting 47 characters because that was how much "slots" could supposedly fit). However, I still find anything based on CSS to be incredibly shaky for reasons stated.

Also, regarding your own speculated characters, if we were to get five pokemon, I'm near certain we would get Mewtwo instead of Jigglypuff this time; the NessvLucas debate should show that "original 12" is not safe.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
On to another topic...

Alpha Ridley
Shadow Ridley
Void Ridley
Omni Ridley

I swear, This Space Dragon is probably the only video game character I know with so many nicknames :chuckle:
How about "Playable Ridley", oh wait... you were talking about a Metroid game... :awesome:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Last time i visited this thread it wasn`t even 666 pages. What did i missed? Any good or bad news for Ridley supporters?
Looks like that story board concept art uses old Meta/Omega Ridley shown on the right...or its the same thing?
On to another topic...

Alpha Ridley
Shadow Ridley
Void Ridley
Omni Ridley

Beta Ridley, Cyber Ridley, Zeta Ridley, RIDLEY MOTHERF***ER, GIANT ENEMY PURPLE DRAGON...

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Last time i visited this thread it wasn`t even 666 pages. What did i missed? Any good or bad news for Ridley supporters?
Tides came and went. E3 approached, and we readied for war. Armies of supporters and haters stood in wait in the trenches, waiting, just waiting, for any piece of news about our purple friend. But nothing came. Now it has come to a war of attrition. We have to outlast them. But that in itself isn't enough. We also have to be lucky.

Jigglypuff & Luma

Smash Cadet
Guyz I came hear bcuz i relized sumthing Ridley cant be in smash bross and hears y hes just too big and no won likes him plus hes ugly and i think crystal frum star fox shuld be in cuz shes cute and deserves it and i likw her staf

Idk, I'm just bored and wanted to contributed something to this thriving thread. This is like the social hangout spot of Smashboards.
Ridley is not too big, any character can be scaled down and as Sakurai said in a previous pic of the day size is not always to scale, and since everyone in this thread are supporting him (there are a lot of people here) and more who are not in this thread also support him, it is safe to say that many people like him and it doesn't matter if he is ugly, I don't think he is ugly and I am pretty sure I am not the only one. (sorry not trying to sound mean)

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Ridley is not too big, any character can be scaled down and as Sakurai said in a previous pic of the day size is not always to scale, and since everyone in this thread are supporting him (there are a lot of people here) and more who are not in this thread also support him, it is safe to say that many people like him and it doesn't matter if he is ugly, I don't think he is ugly and I am pretty sure I am not the only one. (sorry not trying to sound mean)
The joke; you missed it.

We also have to be lucky.
Maybe I should leave then...

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I looked it over, and I'll admit it's a bit more credible than the other CSS speculations (especially the one that said we were only getting 47 characters because that was how much "slots" could supposedly fit). However, I still find anything based on CSS to be incredibly shaky for reasons stated.

Also, regarding your own speculated characters, if we were to get five pokemon, I'm near certain we would get Mewtwo instead of Jigglypuff this time; the NessvLucas debate should show that "original 12" is not safe.
I know what your trying to say now and I had that in mind when coming up with it.

A character isn't decided because they thought they wouldn't fit but they do decide the rosters layout based on the characters in the game.

Sakurai always trys to make the roster look its nicest so why put a two rep series on a row with only three slots left when you have Kirby already underneath it?

Why have KI surrounded by a bunch of series that have three reps when Star Fox is right there?

I tried to think how Sakurai likes to organize his rosters and thats how I came up with this. I appreciate you giving it more credibility then other theories though.

And Cutting Jigglypuff to japan would be like cutting Capt. Falcon to us I believe. And two cute pokemon with three badasses better represent the series then only one cute pokemon.

Top Bottom