• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
IMG_0908.PNG

Smiley Face

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Why? Changing size only helps our arguments since toobigots believe nothing can be resized, and Luma's growing in the middle of the game.
It's all about perspective. There are people who think Ridley is huge because of the brief second of his tail spike shown near the front of the screen, but it was all a matter of camera trickery.

This picture of Luma shows that it's possible to do just that.

Meta-Kraid

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-0411-8525
That's the point. It shows that scale is not set, hence it helps the argument and should be in the second post.
Maybe I should of looked up the word bolster before I commented.:facepalm:

I'd say I'm 90% convinced the shadow analysis is true.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It's all about perspective. There are people who think Ridley is huge because of the brief second of his tail spike shown near the front of the screen, but it was all a matter of camera trickery.

This picture of Luma shows that it's possible to do just that.
I believe it was also pointed out earlier how Ridley could be at a perfect size for being playable, yet still have a tail spike the size of Pikachu.

Either way, we win.

Meta-Kraid

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-0411-8525
Kind of why they said it could be in the second post
Also, off-topic but that idiot trying to hold an Aegislash in your avatar isn't going to have a very nice rest-of-their-life...
At first I thought you meant me, but yeah Aegislash is fine with Calem holding him/her... I think.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Ok fellow Ridley supporters there is a question I been wanting to ask you guys about.
How convincing or accurate do you think the shadow analyses that have been posted on this thread are.
I don't think they're all that accurate...
...because shadows look larger than the object that's making it. Ridley will definitely be smaller than what we've calculated.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I don't think they're all that accurate...
...because shadows look larger than the object that's making it. Ridley will definitely be smaller than what we've calculated.
That's a reassuring, yet somewhat disturbing thought. I mean, I hope they didn't shrink Ridley down more than necessary.

Though something I've noticed from watching footage is that, on stages when shadows do change size, it's VERY noticeable. If you watch some footage of the Boxing Ring, for example, it's really easy to see how the shadows grow in size as the characters jump. On a stage like the Pyrosphere, however, the changes (if there are any) are very difficult to notice.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Ok fellow Ridley supporters there is a question I been wanting to ask you guys about.
How convincing or accurate do you think the shadow analyses that have been posted on this thread are.
I'd say they're accurate; the shadow of Ridley is being compared to other shadows (as opposed to the characters themselves) and using points of reference in the stage to make up for the pictures of Pyrosphere being taken at different angles.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I feel like I need to break something down about the Hyrule Warriors Direct. I was digging through the Nintendo Direct Archive and I noticed a few important things:

1) Starting December 2013, each General Direct has had an SSB4 Newcomer at some point in them.
2) Game-Centered Directs do not typically have an SSB4 Newcomer at some point in them.
3) Pausing the Directs at random points can get you some pictures of Mr. Iwata with some...interesting facial expressions.
4) General Directs currently seem to occur bi-monthly, meaning that they happen every other month (not twice a month).

Disregarding Point 3, all points are useful to the precise timing of Ridley's reveal.
June 2013 [E3]: :4megaman::4villager: :4wiifit:
December 2013: :rosalina:
February 2014: :4littlemac:
April 2014 [Smash Direct]: :4greninja:
June 2014 [E3]: :4mii: :4palutena: :4pacman:

Robin is not included but he's an exception due to being specially announced by the website. Click any of the character icons to watch the trailers.

August is in the bi-monthly cycle of General Directs. Unless something like what happened to Robin occurs early next month, this month (August) is the last chance to relay any smash news to us fans. There's nothing stopping a General Direct or a second Smash Direct from happening this month, either. April had a Smash Direct, Tomodachi Life Direct, and a Mario Kart Direct. Other months have also had a General and a Game-Centered Direct in them, too. Sakurai is no idiot, we'll get Smash news this month. When I started writing this, I wanted to prove that there would be a character on Monday, but the more I searched, the more I found that it was likely to be in a General Direct this month. So keep your expectations low. All signs point to no character/villains trailer (including Ridley) for Monday. Afterwards is a different story. Keep your spirits high, because August is the month of Metroid! Thank you for reading all of that, but if you didn't, here's the lazy chart about how the points relate to Ridley's reveal:

Point 1 - Ridley could very well be the corresponding reveal for August's General Direct.
Point 2 - Ridley will not be revealed Monday, nor will any character.
Point 3 - Nothing really...
Point 4 - August lands in the Cycle of General Directs, and all evidence points to Ridley being revealed then.

Even if he isn't revealed pre-release (which would be a stupid idea on Sakurai's part), there's always the chance that he'll be a secret character.

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
I feel like I need to break something down about the Hyrule Warriors Direct. I was digging through the Nintendo Direct Archive and I noticed a few important things:

1) Starting December 2013, each General Direct has had an SSB4 Newcomer at some point in them.
2) Game-Centered Directs do not typically have an SSB4 Newcomer at some point in them.
3) Pausing the Directs at random points can get you some pictures of Mr. Iwata with some...interesting facial expressions.
4) General Directs currently seem to occur bi-monthly, meaning that they happen every other month (not twice a month).

Disregarding Point 3, all points are useful to the precise timing of Ridley's reveal.
June 2013 [E3]: :4megaman::4villager: :4wiifit:
December 2013: :rosalina:
February 2014: :4littlemac:
April 2014 [Smash Direct]: :4greninja:
June 2014 [E3]: :4mii: :4palutena: :4pacman:

Robin is not included but he's an exception due to being specially announced by the website. Click any of the character icons to watch the trailers.

August is in the bi-monthly cycle of General Directs. Unless something like what happened to Robin occurs early next month, this month (August) is the last chance to relay any smash news to us fans. There's nothing stopping a General Direct or a second Smash Direct from happening this month, either. April had a Smash Direct, Tomodachi Life Direct, and a Mario Kart Direct. Other months have also had a General and a Game-Centered Direct in them, too. Sakurai is no idiot, we'll get Smash news this month. When I started writing this, I wanted to prove that there would be a character on Monday, but the more I searched, the more I found that it was likely to be in a General Direct this month. So keep your expectations low. All signs point to no character/villains trailer (including Ridley) for Monday. Afterwards is a different story. Keep your spirits high, because August is the month of Metroid! Thank you for reading all of that, but if you didn't, here's the lazy chart about how the points relate to Ridley's reveal:

Point 1 - Ridley could very well be the corresponding reveal for August's General Direct.
Point 2 - Ridley will not be revealed Monday, nor will any character.
Point 3 - Nothing really...
Point 4 - August lands in the Cycle of General Directs, and all evidence points to Ridley being revealed then.

Even if he isn't revealed pre-release (which would be a stupid idea on Sakurai's part), there's always the chance that he'll be a secret character.

I'm a little excited for this month.

Edit: I don't know about you guys, but I'm not getting the DS version of the game. In my eyes, October 3rd is the date we'll officially know everything we need to know before release.

Edit #2: Uggghhh...release is so far away. This is killing me now.

Last edited:

RidleyDX

Smash Ace

Edit: I don't know about you guys, but I'm not getting the DS version of the game. In my eyes, October 3rd is the date we'll officially know everything we need to know before release.
I'am hyped too, And I can't wait any longer, I'am getting that 3ds version, I need my Smash!

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I'm gonna get the 3DS Version solely because I play my 2DS much more than my Sister's Wii U.
Plus I love me some Kirby Air Ride (as my Icon suggests).
iwonderwhyIdon'tplayMySISTER'SWiiU
totallynotbecauseshedoesn'tletmegonearit

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So, does anyone have any ideas on how Ridley is going to wield the Hammer?

I'd love to see him do that.

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
I'm gonna get the 3DS Version solely because I play my 2DS much more than my Sister's Wii U.
Plus I love me some Kirby Air Ride (as my Icon suggests).
iwonderwhyIdon'tplayMySISTER'SWiiU
totallynotbecauseshedoesn'tletmegonearit
I put so much time into Kirby Air Ride on the gamecube. My God...... Ridley should have been a playable character in that.
So, does anyone have any ideas on how Ridley is going to wield the Hammer?

I'd love to see him do that.
I'm going to assume that he holds it with his tail.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
That's a reassuring, yet somewhat disturbing thought. I mean, I hope they didn't shrink Ridley down more than necessary.

Though something I've noticed from watching footage is that, on stages when shadows do change size, it's VERY noticeable. If you watch some footage of the Boxing Ring, for example, it's really easy to see how the shadows grow in size as the characters jump. On a stage like the Pyrosphere, however, the changes (if there are any) are very difficult to notice.
That's basic lighting.

It's not actually how high off the ground you are, it's how close you are relative to the light source.

If a light source is far away (IE: The Sun), you have to get very high to have your shadow expand enough to notice (especially since your shadow fades the higher up you are as well, due to ambient light leakage).

If a light source is nearby (like a flashlight), you can just reach out and cover it, which is you casting a HUGE shadow.

Different stages have different light sources.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
That's basic lighting.

It's not actually how high off the ground you are, it's how close you are relative to the light source.

If a light source is far away (IE: The Sun), you have to get very high to have your shadow expand enough to notice (especially since your shadow fades the higher up you are as well, due to ambient light leakage).

If a light source is nearby (like a flashlight), you can just reach out and cover it, which is you casting a HUGE shadow.

Different stages have different light sources.
It's nice to see that Sakurai is paying attention to just the little details like that

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
Here's some more sick Ridley Miiverse pics I made, remember to like, favorite and subscribe the video and share me to your friends. It's the only way I make money so help a brotha out.
I only have one oops

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if Sakurai lurks in these forums. Watching us pull our own hair out in speculation, but appreciate his work at the same time. That sick sociopath...
I doubt sakurai is actually looking through these forums, mostly because its in English, but I would be shocked if no one from Nintendo has ever looked here.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
i am getting both versions of this game... and any real smash fan would be insane to skip out on either version.

hell, i wont even be able to get a wii u anytime soon, but i am STILL getting the wii u version when it comes out.

funnily enough, i owned both melee and brawl before i had the corresponding consoles...

i REALLY hope sakurai reveals ridley's status in august... he has to, damn it... he just has to...

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
i am getting both versions of this game... and any real smash fan would be insane to skip out on either version.

hell, i wont even be able to get a wii u anytime soon, but i am STILL getting the wii u version when it comes out.

funnily enough, i owned both melee and brawl before i had the corresponding consoles...

i REALLY hope sakurai reveals ridley's status in august... he has to, damn it... he just has to...
Well in your opinion I may not be a "real smash fan", but I'm not getting the DS version because I don't see a reason to get it since the Wii U version exists. Especially since I don't own a 3DS.

It'd be like buying a full price demo AND a separate device to play it on.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

You, my friend, might want to save up for the Wii U Bundle for Smash bros. You can kill two birds with one stone that way.

Edited because link was inaccurate. There's a link out there that shows the bundle that has the console, game, and gamecube controller but I can't seem to find the link. Sorry for the inconvenience, the bundle I had linked didn't include the console...

Last edited:

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario

I dunno what you guys are talking about, I'm getting both, I like to think of the 3ds version an appetizer, it's exceedingly pleasurable and you wouldn't mind eating/playing it again some other time, but then the main course is the wii u version, which you would happily love to eat/play for the rest of you life.

Mewtwoultima

Smash Apprentice
While I don't want to put to much thought into it because it could be any character. I really do believe Ridley could be the newcomer revealed for August's Nintendo direct (If it has one, which I think it will). It just makes sense from all the buildup to Ridley and the fact Metroids anniversary is coming soon which possibly leads to finally give the epic reveal for what he really is and what everyone has been waiting for.

By some miracle, I think it would be great icing on the cake to reveal Mewtwo in the same trailer as Ridley. (I hope it happens, even though it most likely won't).

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
While I don't want to put to much thought into it because it could be any character. I really do believe Ridley could be the newcomer revealed for August's Nintendo direct (If it has one, which I think it will). It just makes sense from all the buildup to Ridley and the fact Metroids anniversary is coming soon which possibly leads to finally give the epic reveal for what he really is and what everyone has been waiting for.

By some miracle, I think it would be great icing on the cake to reveal Mewtwo in the same trailer as Ridley. (I hope it happens, even though it most likely won't).
A man can dream, though. A man can dream..

Mewtwoultima

Smash Apprentice
A man can dream, though. A man can dream..
Indeed. It would just be the best thing ever to happen since I really want Mewtwo in so much. It would be the ultimate trailer too for Ridley fan's as well since it would silence all the detractors once and for all for both characters.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Indeed. It would just be the best thing ever to happen since I really want Mewtwo in so much. It would be the ultimate trailer too for Ridley fan's as well since it would silence all the detractors once and for all for both characters.
The perfect fusion!

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
What happened to TheWozny on 3DS SSB4 you say? Unfortunately, he will not be participating in that iteration of smash brothers. I'm not kidding either, I'm only getting the Wii U version (Mostly because everybody and their brother has a 3ds that I could play it on). On a Ridley note, approximately 1 month from now, the Toobigots will lose the war. "How do you know?" I just do.

Top Bottom