• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So Dr. Wily's Castle is on the 3DS version of the game as well...

How pissed would you be if we got Pyrosphere as the 3DS Metroid stage (assuming that Ridley is a boss hazard)? I'd be preeeetty salty if that happened.
It makes sense. Mega Man deserves his own stage on any version.
Though I'm a mite disappointed that they didn't go with the Wily Star, with Dark Moon as a Stage Hazard.

Yes, I'm that big a Mega-nerd.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
3DS Pyrosphere would be even more upsetting than Wii U Pyrosphere with Ridley as a hazard

Because then it would be literally them just taking the concept from Dead or Alive: Dimensions for the same system, only making it worse.

That and so many other locales need love.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

How pissed would you be if we got Pyrosphere as the 3DS Metroid stage (assuming that Ridley is a boss hazard)? I'd be preeeetty salty if that happened.
I swear, this is probably what Sakurai is going to pull right before the reveal. I

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Just when I thought we wouldn't have any worries about that kind of things....DAMN IT, I would be utterly enraged....Months have passed getting our hopes up and down to lastly stab us in the back? I would call Sakurai an incompetent with professionalism....

I just hope that doesn't happen....
I personally see this as a good thing. Wouldn't he have announced Pyrosphere along with the boxing ring and Wiley Castle? If Ridley was the boss for Pyrosphere, wouldn't he want to include it in the 3DS version so non-WiiU players can enjoy him too?

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I just hope that the whole "stage boss character hazard magoo" is optional and you could just switch it off.

On the flipside, it'd be cool if there was a mode in the game where you could fight all stage bosses in a row, pretty much as a succesor to Boss Battles from Brawl.

Only, you know, with less Bossley.

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
3DS Pyrosphere would be even more upsetting than Wii U Pyrosphere with Ridley as a hazard

Because then it would be literally them just taking the concept from Dead or Alive: Dimensions for the same system, only making it worse.

That and so many other locales need love.
The Metroid series hasn't exactly been treated with the greatest of respect?... attention?... compared to others. The stupid lava-rising theme present in every Smash so far, terrible stage choices in general, single repped despite its popularity until SSBB (and it's still just Samus), misinformative or flat-out incorrect trophy descriptions, turning its most iconic villain into a Dyna Blade knock-off (and neither it nor its Meta counterpart using any signature moves when incorporated as Bosses)...

I'm totally expecting Pryosphere to be featured on 3DS. I'd love to be proven wrong.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
The Metroid series hasn't exactly been treated with the greatest of respect?... attention?... compared to others. The stupid lava-rising theme present in every Smash so far, terrible stage choices in general, single repped despite its popularity until SSBB (and it's still just Samus), misinformative or flat-out incorrect trophy descriptions, turning its most iconic villain into a Dyna Blade knock-off (and neither it nor its Meta counterpart using any signature moves when incorporated as Bosses)...

I'm totally expecting Pryosphere to be featured on 3DS. I'd love to be proven wrong.
I'd love that as well, for obvious reasons :)

But I'm mainly confused about the lack of details regarding Pyrosphere. We know a ton about the other stages except for Pyrosphere. I really hope Sakurai's just plotting for his biggest tease ever. You'd think he'd announce it here if Pyrosphere was also a 3DS stage..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd like to point out before anyone else turns this into a Metroid pity party that similar issues apply to other franchises.
Hell, some franchises have it much worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
(and neither it nor its Meta counterpart using any signature moves when incorporated as Bosses)...
Well, this isn't actually true.

Ridley uses the tail skid and Meta Ridley uses various types of Fireballs which both Ridley's should be able to do.

But even then Brawl debued one of Ridley's now most signature moves, the wall scrape.

Last edited:

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
why are people worrying so much about pyrosphere appearing on the 3DS version?

the pic of the day just revealed both the wily stage and the boxing ring as being stages shared on both versions, if pyrosphere was also a shared stage, you'd think he would've mentioned it, or atleast hinted toward other stages being on both versions... but it seemed clear enough that it may just be those two stages.

there used to be so much hope and strong belief in ridley awhile ago... now it seems like more and more people are losing their conviction.

i guess i will have to be the only one who refuses to believe sakurai would screw us over after so much hype has been built up from obvious teasing.

dont worry, ridley, i wont give up on you!

if sakurai were to do the unthinkable after all this teasing... well, i would peel away my mortal shell and unleash the meaning of terror! :evil:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

The Miiverse update mentions the 3DS Dr. Wily Castle stage appearing only during daylight hours or something... Would hate even more if we got a 3DS Pyrosphere stage that only appeared during night hours since I'm usually a night person, aside from that it'd take away from what I thought would be the 3DS version being my sanctuary from having to pinata the **** out of Ridley like in the Wii U game. And it'd mean we'd most likely get no stage from Fusion, Hunters, or any of the Metroid handhelds.

I just hope that the whole "stage boss character hazard magoo" is optional and you could just switch it off.

On the flipside, it'd be cool if there was a mode in the game where you could fight all stage bosses in a row, pretty much as a succesor to Boss Battles from Brawl.

Only, you know, with less Bossley.
"But being a boss is how Ridley's most threatening, always!"

edit:

the pic of the day just revealed both the wily stage and the boxing ring as being stages shared on both versions, if pyrosphere was also a shared stage, you'd think he would've mentioned it, or atleast hinted toward other stages being on both versions... but it seemed clear enough that it may just be those two stages.

there used to be so much hope and strong belief in ridley awhile ago... now it seems like more and more people are losing their conviction.

i guess i will have to be the only one who refuses to believe sakurai would screw us over after so much hype has been built up from obvious teasing.

if sakurai were to do the unthinkable after all this teasing... well, i would peel away my mortal shell and unleash the meaning of terror! :evil:
People's confidence in Ridley's inclusion tends to fluctuate a lot now when they're lost in the moment or something upon new developments getting revealed. Not that I blame some of them, though the playable bosses on Wii U gamepad rumor never held much weight anyway.

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135

I can't speak for everyone else, but my thought was that we haven't had any 3DS Metroid stages revealed as far as I'm aware, and if the Pyrosphere gets put on the 3DS as well it can only be because of special reason, aka Ridley's a boss/stage hazard.

The Wall Scrape should be Ridley's side special.

It functions like Bowser's Side special, except instead of doing a jumping grab attack he slides the victim across the floor.
Makes more sense than the idea of making it Ridley's final Smash imo, and it is a pretty iconic Ridley attack

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I will be so disappointed if the Pyrosphere is in the 3DS version. With Metroid 2, Zero Mission, Fusion and even (ugh) Prime Hunters in handheld devices, there is absolutely no reason for an Other M stage to be in the 3DS version of the game.
I'd like to point out before anyone else turns this into a Metroid pity party that similar issues apply to other franchises.
Hell, some franchises have it much worse.
What? No. Out of all big old school Nintendo franchises, Metroid is the one that gets its worst. Keywords: Big, old school.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
The Miiverse update mentions the 3DS Dr. Wily Castle stage appearing only during daylight hours or something... Would hate even more if we got a 3DS Pyrosphere stage that only appeared during night hours since I'm usually a night person, aside from that it'd take away from what I thought would be the 3DS version being my sanctuary from having to pinata the **** out of Ridley like in the Wii U game. And it'd mean we'd most likely get no stage from Fusion, Hunters, or any of the Metroid handhelds.
Huh, the 3DS Wily Castle stage is just themed to have a daylight skybox, whereas the Wii U version is nightime.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Huh, the 3DS Wily Castle stage is just themed to have a daylight skybox, whereas the Wii U version is nightime.
Oh, is that what it was referring to? My bad then. :laugh:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
I will be so disappointed if the Pyrosphere is in the 3DS version. With Metroid 2, Zero Mission, Fusion and even (ugh) Prime Hunters in handheld devices, there is absolutely no reason for an Other M stage to be in the 3DS version of the game.

What? No. Out of all big old school Nintendo franchises, Metroid is the one that gets its worst. Keywords: Big, old school.
Pretty much. Metroid in general sells better than some of the more represented franchises in SSB4. Nintendo in general doesn't care much about it either.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Pretty much. Metroid in general sells better than some of the more represented franchises in SSB4. Nintendo in general doesn't care much about it either.
Yup. Metroid not only sells better, but it has better-quality games than certain franchises (coughStarFoxcough), yet it get way less representation.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well, to be fair, there aren't many obvious candidates for playable characters for Metroid. And the ones that are iconic or popular...are generally gigantic monsters.

There's certainly more characters in Metroid than Samus and sexed-up Samus, though.

Like Ridley.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
I can't speak for everyone else, but my thought was that we haven't had any 3DS Metroid stages revealed as far as I'm aware, and if the Pyrosphere gets put on the 3DS as well it can only be because of special reason, aka Ridley's a boss/stage hazard.
that implies that just because a stage is on both versions, it is going to affect the roster in some way?

well i dont see wily's stage or the boxing ring doing anything like that...

i think people are worrying over nothing.

i mean, it wouldnt even make any sense to put a stage on both versions just because it has something special on it... otherwise every stage with its own gimmick would be on both versions so the other players dont miss out on it.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
The fact that this thread is this long, and that people are continuously debating, shows that nobody really knows Ridley's status. People are scared of him being a crappy boss, people want him to be a boss, people want him to be playable, and despite evidence leaning towards him being a boss we're all grasping at the straws looking for patterns or principles in the way Sakurai reveals things to justify our wants for Ridley to be playable.

If we were sure of Ridley's status then we wouldn't need to defend our positions so passionately and abundantly over 1000+ pages, name calling and putting others down and getting worked up and all.

Hell, at this point I'm not even 100% sure about his status in the game. He could work as a playable character, but evidence points towards him being a boss.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The fact that this thread is this long, and that people are continuously debating, shows that nobody really knows Ridley's status. People are scared of him being a crappy boss, people want him to be a boss, people want him to be playable, and despite evidence leaning towards him being a boss we're all grasping at the straws looking for patterns or principles in the way Sakurai reveals things to justify our wants for Ridley to be playable.

If we were sure of Ridley's status then we wouldn't need to defend our positions so passionately and abundantly over 1000+ pages, name calling and putting others down and getting worked up and all.

Hell, at this point I'm not even sure at this point. He could work as a playable character, but evidence points towards him being a boss.
uh, evidence leaning towards boss Ridley? the 4 trophies, the fact Sakurai did this with Palutena and the shadows would like a word

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
uh, evidence leaning towards boss Ridley? the 4 trophies, the fact Sakurai did this with Palutena and the shadows would like a word
You're looking for patterns, but don't forget the evidence. Most the theories and principles we come up with anyways hardly ever come to fruition or are ever fully accurate.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Well, wouldn't saying that an enemy from Samus' past may appear any second when referring to the Pyrosphere, and saying that there will be boss battles while showing the Pyrosphere and Ridley's tail/shadow is suffice for evidence? As opposed to trying to look for patterns that may not even be real?

The evidence does the talking, everything else is mere commentary.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well, wouldn't saying that an enemy from Samus' past may appear any second when referring to the Pyrosphere, and saying that there will be boss battles while showing the Pyrosphere and Ridley's tail/shadow is suffice for evidence? As opposed to trying to look for patterns that may not even be true?

The evidence speaks for itself, everything else is mere commentary.

Palutena disconfirmed then, and the fact we saw his shadow helped us in making comparsions, also, we saw his tail and found out he wasn't flying to high at that moment, and don't forget he jumped!

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
People thought that, and they were wrong when Palutena was confirmed.. People thought the same about Conductor Link, and they were wrong when they confirmed Toon Link. People look for things that are not there.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
You're looking for patterns, but don't forget the evidence. Most the theories and principles we come up with anyways hardly ever come to fruition or are ever fully accurate.
WHAT evidence?

the only "evidence" there is are people ASSUMING he's a boss.

meanwhile, there are mountains of things all pointing to him being playable.

yeah, they're patterns, but they're patterns that have been CONSISTENT for playable characters.

every unplayable character was IMMEDIATELY revealed to be a trophy, assist trophy, final smash, or boss/hazard.

you're poking a dragon with a stick, here... and its not gonna end well.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Well, wouldn't saying that an enemy from Samus' past may appear any second when referring to the Pyrosphere, and saying that there will be boss battles while showing the Pyrosphere and Ridley's tail/shadow is suffice for evidence? As opposed to trying to look for patterns that may not even be real?

The evidence does the talking, everything else is mere commentary.
Well, there is the "Sakurai explicitly deconfirms stuff to avoid false hype" pattern that looks pretty strong if you ask me.

Palutena disconfirmed then, and the fact we saw his shadow helped us in making comparsions, also, we saw his tail and found out he wasn't flying to high at that moment, and don't forget he jumped!
Palutena was not disconfirmed in that picture. At all.
And I wouldn't say anything about Ridley jumping or grabbing Pikachu or anything. It's a shadow, and rather difficult to reliably extract any information out of.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
WHAT evidence?

the only "evidence" there is are people ASSUMING he's a boss.

meanwhile, there are mountains of things all pointing to him being playable.

yeah, they're patterns, but they're patterns that have been CONSISTENT for playable characters.

every unplayable character was IMMEDIATELY revealed to be a trophy, assist trophy, final smash, or boss/hazard.

you're poking a dragon with a stick, here... and its not gonna end well.

Assuming a pattern in the Trophy Quiz that isn't even complete yet if it is indeed true. Consistency over two characters? Pshaw. I don't know.

From evidence I'm making in inference. From patterns that haven't shown significant consistency, you are assuming their truthfulness.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
People thought that, and they were wrong when Palutena was confirmed.. People thought the same about Conductor Link, and they were wrong when they confirmed Toon Link. People look for things that are not there.
you are denying that Sakurai did this in the same way he refered to Ridley, they weren't mentioned, only hinted at, watching the arena and appear at any second are pretty damn vague, so this proves Sakurai is hiding something
Palutena was not disconfirmed in that picture. At all.
And I wouldn't say anything about Ridley jumping or grabbing Pikachu or anything. It's a shadow, and rather difficult to reliably extract any information out of.
I showed that because this is the exact same thing that happened, highly requested character is hinted at, but not refered by name, and Palutena fans thought this could have been a disconfirmation, until E3, I believe Ridley has the exact same thing happening. Also, at the end of the shadow clip, Ridley suddenly moves to the right, as if he jumped

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I'm not denying anything. He did it with Ridley so bluntly he didn't even show him. We saw his shadow, his tail, and him flying, right? Of course he's hiding something. Hiding Ridley's role was pretty damn blatant.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I'm getting confused, how does this lean more towards Ridley being a boss then?
Well, wouldn't saying that an enemy from Samus' past may appear any second when referring to the Pyrosphere, and saying that there will be boss battles while showing the Pyrosphere and Ridley's tail/shadow is suffice for evidence? Not even referring to him by name, and blatantly hiding him.

As opposed to him teasing with Pseudo-Palutena and getting Palutena, and showing Tiki and we get Robin and Lucina. Two in a pattern of four expected confirmations. Two. Two of something is not a pattern but a repetition.

Evidence is reliable. Patterns in this case are in-process until all is revealed.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well, wouldn't saying that an enemy from Samus' past may appear any second when referring to the Pyrosphere, and saying that there will be boss battles while showing the Pyrosphere and Ridley's tail/shadow is suffice for evidence? Not even referring to him by name, and blatantly hiding him.

As opposed to him teasing with Pseudo-Palutena and getting Palutena, and showing Tiki and we get Robin and Lucina.

Evidence is reliable. Patterns in this case are in-process until all is revealed.
You know what? I'm not going to argue, look at the 2nd post, tadaaa, what you mentioned is also listed and countered

Last edited:

NatP

Smash Ace
I have an honest question, WHY would Sakurai tease Ridley to be a boss? There's no way in hell Sakurai doesn't know about how much people want him in as a playable character, so by teasing him as a boss it's almost like he's mocking a pretty big portion of his fan-base that want him to be playable. Not to mention that he's teasing him to be something that he already was before "I hope you'll enjoy boss Ridley!... Again!"

But that wouldn't be so bad if he had confirmed him to be a boss the week after the Direct or something, because at least then we wouldn't be raising our expectations (Sakurai has stated before that he hates creating fake hype). And yet, Ridley has not even mentioned by name yet. Why?

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
You know what? I'm not going to argue, look at the 2nd post, tadaaa, what you mentioned is also listed and countered
That's fine, I guess. If you were so sure of that post being true you wouldn't have needed to further counter my argument by advocating your position. I'm just saying that people are denying evidence in favor of an anticipated pattern with but a single repetition, and a single repetition of an event does not necessarily constitute a pattern.

I have an honest question, WHY would Sakurai tease Ridley to be a boss? There's no way in hell Sakurai doesn't know about how much people want him in as a playable character, so by teasing him as a boss it's almost like he's mocking a pretty big portion of his fan-base that want him to be playable. Not to mention that he's teasing him to be something that he already was before "I hope you'll enjoy boss Ridley!... Again!"

But that wouldn't be so bad if he had confirmed him to be a boss the week after the Direct or something, because at least then we wouldn't be raising our expectations (Sakurai has stated before that he hates creating fake hype). And yet, Ridley has not even mentioned by name yet. Why?
I haven't an idea. Although hardcore people like us who constantly debate who we want in Smash over Internet forums don't make up the majority of Smash players.

Also we kinda have the same names. ;)

Last edited:

NatP

Smash Ace
While Ridley fans definitely don't make up not even close to half of the Smash pllayers in the world, they definitely do exist. Hell, Ridley got so popular, he not only became a literal meme, he also become one of the few characters to my knowledge (other than Pac-man I think?) that got directly asked to Sakurai in an interview on why he wasn't included in as a playable character. That has to show you right there that Ridley definitely isn't just some random character that only a select number of people want to see in this game.

Here's my argument: Sakurai stated before that he HATES creating fake expectations, which is why he always tries to be as clear as he possibly can be when he talks about his own games. Remember when Lucina got announced? I was on a LOT of smash 4 forums at that time, and the only thing people were discussing was if she was a clone or an alt or something else. And you know what happened? The very next morning he posted not one, not two but THREE pictures, explicitly explaning exactly what she was. And that instantly ended the discussion on her status in the game.

Now, WHY would he tease Ridley and not just flat-out call him a boss and be done with it?! By teasing him, he's giving a lot of people hope that he might just be playable. And why is he giving people hope if he's just going to crush it by making Ridley into a stage hazard boss? Like.... Seriously, why?

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
While Ridley fans definitely don't make up not even close to half of the Smash pllayers in the world, they definitely do exist. Hell, Ridley got so popular, he not only became a literal meme, he also become one of the few characters to my knowledge (other than Pac-man I think?) that got directly asked to Sakurai in an interview on why he wasn't included in as a playable character. That has to show you right there that Ridley definitely isn't just some random character that only a select number of people want to see in this game.

Here's my argument: Sakurai stated before that he HATES creating fake expectations, which is why he always tries to be as clear as he possibly can be when he talks about his own games. Remember when Lucina got announced? I was on a LOT of smash 4 forums at that time, and the only thing people were discussing was if she was a clone or an alt or something else. And you know what happened? The very next morning he posted not one, not two but THREE pictures, explicitly explaning exactly what she was. And that instantly ended the discussion on her status in the game.

Now, WHY would he tease Ridley and not just flat-out call him a boss and be done with it?! By teasing him, he's giving a lot of people hope that he might just be playable. And why is he giving people hope if he's just going to crush it by making Ridley into a stage hazard boss? Like.... Seriously, why?
I don't know, I can't really argue with that much. Many times he's teased something it's become something greater, and that's a better thing to keep track of than some dumb Trophy Quiz theory. Palutena? Character. Toon Link? Hinted at almost not being playable, but now playable. Galaga Ships? Expected Assist or S Trophy summon. What do we get? Pac Man. Phosphora as a trophy? She's actually an Assist Trophy. Boxing Ring with zero context? A Punch-Out/Smash Bros ring, plus Little Mac.

Although actually we still don't know the role of those goddamn Galaga ships...

The only thing I can counter this with is how "cruel" Sakurai was with "treating Chrom that sort of way" in the Robin trailer. I personally didn't perceive that as cruelty towards fans, but it goes to show that he possibly could have the capacity to be that way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom