• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
...That isn't a tease of Ridley. It's just a cool picture of Meta Knight. You're really stretching it in this instance.

This isn't like with Rosalina's tease:

"Super Mario 3D World is out today in Japan! To commemorate the occasion I had these four...people(?) come together in a group shot."

Keeping in mind this PotD was made after Rosalina was revealed for 3D World.

And I'm sure I don't need to mention the cases of Palutena teasing as they were probably the most blatant examples.
I don't see how that tease is different from the Meta Knight/Ridley tease, one is a character shot on a stage known for a certain character, with specifically chosen characters to make you wonder about where that certain character is. The other is a character shot on a stage known for a certain character, with a specifically chosen character to make you wonder about where that certain character is.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
By your logic that wasn't a rosalina tease either.

He said four people(?) because he was questioning Toad's species, nothing more nothing less.
It was posted very soon after Rosalina was marketed as a selling point for 3D World.
It features every playable member of the 3D World cast, except her.
The stage in question is literally her childhood home, and was the location of the very poignant 120 Star ending in Galaxy, which totally focused on Rosalina.
It came from Sakurai himself.

That's a tease. Not Meta Knight saying "Fight me!" on a NoE twitter post, while bearing a few minor aesthetic similarities to Ridley (you know, like he always has?).

CHUBUNATO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CHUBUNATO
3DS FC
2277-6893-1304
We would be angry because:
* We didn't get a clarification when every other NPC did.
* We waited more than a year to know what the heck he does.
* Judging by the other bosses' gameplay, he is going to suck.
* Being a stage hazard would cement the idea that Sakurai doesn't see Ridley as playable material and even gets a laugh out of its fans.
* Some may get the feeling that it was the developer's bias what stopped Ridley getting in.
* We'd need to deal with haters for another 6 years and then hope things change for the next game.
I argee to the last one with full force. Dealing with those guys feels me with so much salt

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
And I argued your logic - you said it was a downgrade because he used to be two bosses, as if to say that meant he had more screen time. But being one stage boss in Smash 4 arguably gives him more. Heck, for all we know, the Wii U version could have a Boss Battles mode using stage bosses.

Yes it is. Having purple and red dragon wings is an extremely common trait for dark characters. Heck, Ridley isn't even the first character that comes to my head personally, when I see those kinds of wings:

It should also be noted that the picture of Meta Knight in question is part of a larger set of general Meta Knight pictures.
Well let me explain to you my logic.

1. Its a downgrade because he must be made easier to accomodate the fact that the player is now playing against others, while does his shenanigans. Plus, he will only have one program sequence, rather than two. So Sakurai would want to hype up something that took him less work to do than the last time?

2. Just because you thought of Spyro before Ridley is on you. Ridley is an infinitely times more likely candidate than Spyro, so it makes sense that he be the one people thought of, when they saw Meta Knight, not just out with his dark wings, but in Pyrosphere of all stages. Like I said, nothing to really go by, but not completely worthless hints.

Last edited:

Gygados

Smash Apprentice
Don't turn around, 'cos then I'll be behind you.
Uhh, guys? Rumour, I'm trying my best not to believe this just in case, but I just came across this;
http://ssb4dojo.com/post/96845371796/rumor-mill-ridley-confirmed

Poster of this blog is quoted as saying: "Something feels off but that is leaks in general with me until they are confirmed. People also thought that Shulk was fake so who knows"
And when asked where the picture came from: "Not sure, 8 people sent it in"

Has anyone seen that render before?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Uhh, guys? Rumour, I'm trying my best not to believe this just in case, but I just came across this;

Poster of this blog is quoted as saying: "Something feels off but that is leaks in general with me until they are confirmed. People also thought that Shulk was fake so who knows"

Confirmed fake a few pages back, I believe.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
...That isn't a tease of Ridley. It's just a cool picture of Meta Knight. You're really stretching it in this instance.

This isn't like with Rosalina's tease:

"Super Mario 3D World is out today in Japan! To commemorate the occasion I had these four...people(?) come together in a group shot."

Keeping in mind this PotD was made after Rosalina was revealed for 3D World.

And I'm sure I don't need to mention the cases of Palutena teasing as they were probably the most blatant examples.
No offense, but I fail to see how that was not a Ridley tease. Similar wings, on Pyroshpere, AND the anniversary of the Pyroshpere reveal? How could it not be one?

Steelia

Smash Champion

Yeah, it was like... a couple pages back. It's an edit of someone's artwork. One of our own members made the pic, made an alt account, and pretended to "leak" it. God only knows I wish it were real though.

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario

Like five pages ago it was proven fake.
It was posted very soon after Rosalina was marketed as a selling point for 3D World.
The stage in question is literally her childhood home, and was the location of the very poignant 120 Star ending in Galaxy, which totally focused on Rosalina.

That's a tease. Not Meta Knight saying "Fight me!" on a NoE twitter post, while bearing a few minor aesthetic similarities to Ridley (you know, like he always has?).
So you're telling me that showing the cast of Super Mario 3D World on the day of its japan release on the home stage of Rosalina is a tease for her, but showing Meta Knight bearing striking resemblances to Ridley on the home stage of Ridley on the day of his first "tease" is not in anyway a tease?

"They are the same, it is the same."

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest

Its been debunked, dude.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Well let me explain to you my logic.

1. Its a downgrade because he must be made easier to accomodate the fact that the player is now playing against others, while does his shenanigans.

2. Just because you thought of Spyro before Ridley is on you. Ridley is an infinitely times more likely candidate than Spyro, so it makes sense that he be the one people thought of, when they saw Meta Knight, not just out with his dark wings, but in Pyrosphere of all stages. Like I said, nothing to really go by, but not completely worthless hints.
1) Not really. People have been saying Yellow Devil is actually difficult to deal with.

2) That's not Spyro, that's Cynder.

But my point wasn't to say she was a likely character (or even that I want her). It's that there are so many characters with wings like that, that using this as a Ridley hint is straw grasping. Who people think of first when they see wings like that is just a matter of past experiences, since the design is so common.

Also, Meta Knight always has yellow eyes.

If that's a tease for Ridley, I guess this is too:

"CHARACTER WITH A LOT OF PURPLE ON PYROSPHERE
RIDLEY CONFIRMED"

Last edited:

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Seriously, the way developers try to avoid Ridley's fanbase is no different from the way Capcom teased Megaman in Marvel vs Capcom. How ironic that we laugh at capcom treat megaman is similar to the way developers tease Ridley.
That's different. MM is like the Mario of Capcom. Ridley is like the Zangief of Capcom.

Zygard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0533-4990-1418
Seriously, the way developers try to avoid Ridley's fanbase is no different from the way Capcom teased Megaman in Marvel vs Capcom. How ironic that we laugh at capcom treat megaman is similar to the way developers tease Ridley.
In what way exactly is it similar? I never played Marvel vs Capcom and know nothing about it.

CHUBUNATO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CHUBUNATO
3DS FC
2277-6893-1304

Yeah thats fake. Too bad though, that Ridley render looks pretty sick.

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
In what way exactly is it similar? I never played Marvel vs Capcom and know nothing about it.
Heres a crash course. DLC was still ripe on everyone mind's, so when playing they found an Easter egg in the X Men stage background depicting all the characters cut from Marvel Vs Capcom 2. It was a reference to the X Men comics and it had mugs of all the characters with the words apprehended or deceased on them. All except megaman. Capcom stayed quite when hype arose for Megaman DLC and low and behold. No megaman in MvC3.

Fan reactions ranged from salty to betrayed to depressed. It was not a fun time for anyone.

Last edited:

Blackflamedragon

Smash Apprentice
Ever on and on, we continue circling
With nothing but our hype, and the carousel of lunacy,
'Til someone posts a "leak," and our hearts start trembling,
And suddenly we see that we can't break free, we're
Slipping through the cracks of a dark eternity
With nothing but our pain, and the paralyzing agony
That comes of being teased for a year, uncertainty
Enveloping our minds 'til we can't break free, and
Maybe it's a dream, maybe nothing else is real,
But it wouldn't mean a thing if we told you how we feel,
So we're tired of the pain and the misery inside,
And we wish we could have Smash, playing Ridley through the night!

...Yeah, I don't know where that came from. Leaks are fake, people, don't trust anything that doesn't come from the Sack of Rice human. :p
Yeah most leaks are but don't forget how we got shulk
Never forget

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
And I argued your logic - you said it was a downgrade because he used to be two bosses, as if to say that meant he had more screen time. But being one stage boss in Smash 4 arguably gives him more. Heck, for all we know, the Wii U version could have a Boss Battles mode using stage bosses.

Yes it is. Having purple and red dragon wings is an extremely common trait for dark characters. Heck, Ridley isn't even the first character that comes to my head personally, when I see those kinds of wings:

It should also be noted that the picture of Meta Knight in question is part of a larger set of general Meta Knight pictures.
I agree that darker characters tend to have those wings, like Cinder, tnot sure if it's spelled with I or Y, but how many popular Nintendo characters have said wings?

That's different. MM is like the Mario of Capcom. Ridley is like the Zangief of Capcom.
I was saying that both Megaman and Ridley have left out so long from crossover game (except Mega man IS a character in ssb4). And you dare compare Ridley to a muscular speedo loving wrestler? It is kind of rude since Ridley is an evil overlord of outer space, not a wrestler from Russia.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I agree that darker characters tend to have those wings, like Cinder, tnot sure if it's spelled with I or Y, but how many popular Nintendo characters have said wings?
That's irrelevant.

My point is, why would Meta Knight's wings having that colour be interpreted as a clue in the first place? Again, I point you to that picture of a purple-clad Zelda up above. Is that a hint of Ridley just because a character with a colouring similarity to Ridley is on Pyrosphere?

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm sure this has been posted here before, but what was the reaction to this

Too low quality to make any direct statements, but the general consensus is that it's just purple particle effects

The Meta Knight picture was posted on the anniversary of the Pyrosphere reveal.
It features Meta Knight with a smash ball, making his eyes and wings look like Ridley's.
The stage in question is the place where you fight Ridley in Other M, arguably Ridley's biggest role in any game story wise, totally focused on Ridley.

I have no problem with straw grasping (everyone does it, it's almost guaranteed when you really start to support a character for smash) and people calling straw grasping out. The salt levels begin to rise when people get hypocritical about straw grasping, case in point, this whole debate.

Heres a crash course. DLC was still ripe on everyone mind's, so when playing they found an Easter egg in the X Men stage background depicting all the characters cut from Marvel Vs Capcom 2. It was a reference to the X Men comics and it had mugs of all the characters with the words apprehended or deceased on them. All except megaman. Capcom stayed quite when hype arose for Megaman DLC and low and behold. No megaman in MvC3.

Fan reactions ranged from salty to betrayed to depressed. It was not a fun time for anyone.
Thanks for the explanation, also, it was also the period megman fans pointed figure at ANY character in Capcom Roster. Nintendo should have realized that put the deserved or most LEGIT/reasonable characters. Putting random and joke characters can really rise a lot of rants.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That's irrelevant.

My point is, why would Meta Knight's wings having that colour be interpreted as a clue in the first place? Again, I point you to that picture of a purple-clad Zelda up above. Is that a hint of Ridley just because a character with a colouring similarity to Ridley is on Pyrosphere?
No it isn't, as the pictur could easily have MK without his wings being shown, on a different stage, or not MK.
1) Not really. People have been saying Yellow Devil is actually difficult to deal with.
If that's a tease for Ridley, I guess this is too:

"CHARACTER WITH A LOT OF PURPLE ON PYROSPHERE
RIDLEY CONFIRMED"
That was shown when Rosalina was first shown, correct? Well, that had nothing Metroid related, Sakurai wanted to announce characters on certain anniversaries, this is true. Nintendo rarely shows any pictures, let alone on any day without Sakurai. On the 1 year anniversary, Ridley-like character on Ridley stage. That can't be coincidence. You are thinking of the Ridley addicts that think EVERYTHING is a tease.

CHUBUNATO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CHUBUNATO
3DS FC
2277-6893-1304
I was saying that both Megaman and Ridley have left out so long from crossover game (except Mega man IS a character in ssb4). And you dare compare Ridley to a muscular speedo loving wrestler? It is kind of rude since Ridley is an evil overlord of outer space, not a wrestler from Russia.
Well Gief & Ridster do have some things in common:
1.They both love to grab people
2.They both are very important to their respective series
They probably something else but I've got nothing

Last edited:

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
People really need to stop using Sakurai as a reference point. It seems like he should be an obvious point of reliability, but he is the exact opposite.

"He avoids them by name if they're playable!" - Yellow Devil
"He always immediately disconfirms them!" - Metalface
"Sakurai said he doesn't like getting peoples hopes up!" - Well that's clearly a complete lie.

I still don't see a GOSH DARN (bad words are bad) thing. Other than DeDeDe's hit sparks of course.
The bottom picture that seems to be attempting to highlight some foot talon or something... yeah, I don't see that at all. That's really reaching. But the 'eyes' looking out of the hidey hole... can't unsee that.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
People really need to stop using Sakurai as a reference point. It seems like he should be an obvious point of reliability, but he is the exact opposite.

"Sakurai said he doesn't like getting peoples hopes up!" - Well that's clearly a complete lie.

The bottom picture that seems to be attempting to highlight some foot talon or something... yeah, I don't see that at all. That's really reaching. But the 'eyes' looking out of the hidey hole... can't unsee that.
I looked at that pic and I DID see purple. However, it was a mere stripe connected to nothing, and I don't see any eyes there at all. The thing is, Yellow Devil and Metal Face were shown in trailers without anyone talking in other than Metal Face, and how is that a lie? Waluigi is a hard worker, it was meant to do something with the character, not spite the fans!

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Too low quality to make any direct statements, but the general consensus is that it's just purple particle effects

The Meta Knight picture was posted on the anniversary of the Pyrosphere reveal.
It features Meta Knight with a smash ball, making his eyes and wings look like Ridley's.
The stage in question is the place where you fight Ridley in Other M, arguably Ridley's biggest role in any game story wise, totally focused on Ridley.

I have no problem with straw grasping (everyone does it, it's almost guaranteed when you really start to support a character for smash) and people calling straw grasping out. The salt levels begin to rise when people get hypocritical about straw grasping, case in point, this whole debate.
Who the heck would keep track of the anniversary of Pyrosphere's reveal outside of this thread? I doubt Nintendo's European PR team was. This means nothing.

Meta Knight's wings and eyes are inherently coloured as they are. This picture isn't some special instance.

And while that last point is true, it doesn't mean anything considering there are so many pictures of Pyrosphere. The picture in question was part of a press kit, so people actually would have had it before the anniversary of Pyrosphere's reveal anyway.

I'm not hypocritical in citing the Rosalina instance, that's an extremely blatant tease.

That was shown when Rosalina was first shown, correct?
No, it's on Zelda's page on the official site.

Last edited:

Zygard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0533-4990-1418
It was not the point of the video but the music got me so hyped for ridley! Ohh man I LOVE his theme and the remixes of it!

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Who the heck would keep track of the anniversary of Pyrosphere's reveal outside of this thread? I doubt Nintendo's European PR team was. This means nothing.

Meta Knight's wings and eyes are inherently coloured as they are. This picture isn't some special instance.

And while that last point is true, it doesn't mean anything considering there are so many pictures of Pyrosphere. The picture in question was part of a press kit, so people actually would have had it before the anniversary of Pyrosphere's reveal anyway.

I'm not hypocritical in citing the Rosalina instance, that's an extremely blatant tease.

No, it's on Zelda's page on the official site.
Then why use Meta Knight? Out of every character, why Meta Knight? And why Pyrosphere? I rarely strawgrasp, I myself am still skeptical on the 'Ridley in Greninja trailer' stuff.

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
Yellow Devil, clarified to death
Metal face, only a week old as opposed to five months old
Sakurai doesn't like false hype, he said that himself.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Then why use Meta Knight? Out of every character, why Meta Knight? And why Pyrosphere? I rarely strawgrasp, I myself am still skeptical on the 'Ridley in Greninja trailer' stuff.
For the third time, that photo was part of a set of Meta Knight promotional pictures, it wasn't the only one shared that day.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yellow Devil, clarified to death
Metal face, only a week old as opposed to MORE THAN A WHOLE FREAKING YEAR!!!!!
Sakurai doesn't like false hype, he said that himself.
fixed
For the third time, that photo was part of a set of Meta Knight promotional pictures, it wasn't the only one shared that day.
No it isn't, Nintendo only showed that image on their twitter, not on the smash site

Last edited:
Top Bottom