• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Guys, it doesn't look good for Ridley. I've done some looking at the leaked roster and he really doesn't fit. I'm not sure that this will work out.

Grimfrost

Smash Cadet
Warning Received
Shulk likely has the last newcomer trailer we're going to get. That leaves Bowser Jr, DHD (which fits in with retro characters from the past) and the two clones as secrets. Do you really think Sakurai is going to have more than that? I mean, I hope so, but it doesn't seem to be like that.

Of course the smash roundtable at PAX (from what I hear) could go on and reveal Ridley to my joy and surprise, but I doubt it. It's been fun, guys.
Bowser jr is too big for them not to make a trailer, bowser WAS looking for something, he might have been roaring to call for bowser jr. Not to mention if it was the last trailer it would have been much more grand and sakurai would have told us that it's the last one. He previously said there arn't many left BUT he didnt say this was the last one. It seemed too "okay" instead of "wow" to be the last trailer. We're talking about sakurai here who loves and cares about his fans and loves to wow us.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
At this point hoping for any additional newcomers like Ridley feels a bit like strawgrasping. Think about it, guys:

Shulk likely has the last newcomer trailer we're going to get. That leaves Bowser Jr, DHD (which fits in with retro characters from the past) and the two clones as secrets. Do you really think Sakurai is going to have more than that? I mean, I hope so, but it doesn't seem to be like that.

Of course the smash roundtable at PAX (from what I hear) could go on and reveal Ridley to my joy and surprise, but I doubt it. It's been fun, guys.
A trailer exclusive to Japan is likely the last? I'm not too sure about that one.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Apperantly he didn't make a Subspace emissary mode because of the leak, why would he not change things this time around. I am not making this up i can quote him on this is you would like that?
What? No, that was because the cutscenes of the SSE were uploaded to the internet, not because of a leak. It allowed people to watch them without playing the game.

Last edited:

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
Bowser jr is too big for them not to make a trailer, bowser WAS looking for something, he might have been roaring to call for bowser jr. Not to mention if it was the last trailer it would have been much more grand and sakurai would have told us that it's the last one. He previously said there arn't many left BUT he didnt say this was the last one. It seemed too "okay" instead of "wow" to be the last trailer. We're talking about sakurai here who loves and cares about his fans and loves to wow us.
Turns out he gets a dual-reveal with Ridley where Ridley has abducted Bowser Jr. like he did the Baby Metroid in Super Metroid.

Grimfrost

Smash Cadet
What? No, that was because the cutscenes of the SSE were uploaded to the internet, not because of a leak. It allowed people to watch them without playing the game.
Oh woops, my bad then.

Turns out he gets a dual-reveal with Ridley where Ridley has abducted Bowser Jr. like he did the Baby Metroid in Super Metroid.
Or bowser jr was having fun with his fancy clown car! We don't know any of it. Though i really think bowser was looking for something. Bowser does not like to run (we can see that in SE in brawl) and he clearly was shouting at someone (not the butterfly, bowser would much rather roast a butterfly i think)

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
I can't find a way to put Ridley behind Zss without completely rearranging the roster.
So this wouldn't work? (Let's assume for a moment we're getting Wolf, Lucas and Mewtwo back with Ridley and Dixie as newcomers. Let's also assume the Ice Climbers didn't wanna work on the 3DS)

MAR | LUI | PEA | BOW | BJR | ROS | DRM | YOS | WAR
DKG | DID | DIX | LIN | ZEL | SHE | GAN | TLK | MAC
SAM | ZSS | RID | PIT | PAL | DPT | KIR | MTK | DDD
FOX | FAL | WOL | PIK | JIG| CHA | MW2 | LCR| GRE
MRT | IKE | RBN | LCN | NES | LUC | CTF | OLI | VIL
SHU | WFT | G&W | ROB | DHD | PAC | MEG | SON | RDM

SwagzillaForilla

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, this iteration of Smash seems awfully promotion heavy. Most of the newcomers come from recently released or soon to be released games. Hopefully Metroid gets revamped by the time Smash 5 (6) comes along, so that Ridley can take his well-deserved spot on the roster.

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
Honestly, this iteration of Smash seems awfully promotion heavy. Most of the newcomers come from recently released or soon to be released games. Hopefully Metroid gets revamped by the time Smash 5 (6) comes along, so that Ridley can take his well-deserved spot on the roster.
Thing is, they seem to love to promote Other M in this game. Roidley is from Other M
And are those two new Metroid games still a thing or was that a rumor?

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
What, are you implying Ridley isn't going to make it in? HERESY.
But yeah, if he doesn't make it in this time, we'll have to hope and pray for a year or...six...

Xenorange

Smash Lord
So this wouldn't work? (Let's assume for a moment we're getting Wolf, Lucas and Mewtwo back with Ridley and Dixie as newcomers. Let's also assume the Ice Climbers didn't wanna work on the 3DS)

MAR | LUI | PEA | BOW | BJR | ROS | DRM | YOS | WAR
DKG | DID | DIX | LIN | ZEL | SHE | GAN | TLK | MAC
SAM | ZSS | RID | PIT | PAL | DPT | KIR | MTK | DDD
FOX | FAL | WOL | PIK | JIG| CHA | MW2 | LCR| GRE
MRT | IKE | RBN | LCN | NES | LUC | CTF | OLI | VIL
SHU | WFT | G&W | ROB | DHD | PAC | MEG | SON | RDM
I pray for this roster.

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
This would work:

cr: Shadowoflink
Yeah that seems just about right. I would kinda prefer to keep Lucas somehow (and the Ice Climbers but I'd understand of technical difficulties killed them) but I wouldn't hate to have Impa either.

Can't we somehow just still kick Dark Pit, maybe? No? Yeah, I was afraid of that..

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Okay, I’ve watched Shulk’s trailer again to understand more on what could be in store for the rest of the potential newcomers, and I realized that it indirectly helped Ridley’s chances. Now this is all speculation, and it could all be made naught within a matter of days, but bear with me on this.

Metal Face, one of the antagonists in the game Xenoblade, was apparently confirmed to be a boss hazard on the Gaur Plains (via Twitter, or so I’ve heard). The Xenoblade franchise is, as of the moment, a console-exclusive series with its core title on the Wii. Now if we’re to assume that console-based games are going to have derived stages on the Wii U version, and handheld-based games with derived-stages on the 3DS version, it makes sense if the Gaur Plains stage was only found on the Wii U version. Also, Metal Face (as a boss) could potentially be used to advertise the gimmicks found in one version of the game, distinguishing the differences between the 3DS version and Wii U version, if we’re to think that boss hazards will mostly be found on the Wii U version.

But…the stage is also confirmed to be on the 3DS version of the game as well. Now why is that? Could it be that Xenoblade needed a stage on the 3DS version of the game no matter what, or is it that Metal Face is too good to pass up on the handheld version of SSB4? Either way, this just shows that Gaur Plains was considered to be important by the SSB4 development team, and its core features had to be featured on both titles, for different audiences.

Now let’s get to the purple dragon in the room. Ridley is the main antagonist of a long-running franchise that’s been going on for nearly thirty years. The Metroid games have seen titles on both console and handheld games, and Ridley himself has only been absent in three out of twelve titles in the series. And he is certainly no overrated character; Nintendo has recognized him as Samus’s archenemy and used him in advertising whenever they displayed Nintendo’s gallery of villains such as Bowser, Ganondorf, and Andross. He has appeared in every Smash game in the series so far, in some non-playable role, and was around for far longer than Mother Brain, who is sometimes touted as the “real” antagonist of the series. So it makes sense if the stage that he’s present on as a hazard, the Pyrosphere, would be on both versions of the game, right?

Well apparently, according to the leaks, Pyrosphere is not in the 3DS stage line-up. Despite everything that I said earlier, the stage is only found on the Wii U version. We also need to consider the fact that this stage has already appeared on the 3DS, in an entirely different fighting game called “Dead or Alive: Dimensions”, in which Ridley was indeed present as a stage hazard.

Again, this could all be potentially thrown out the window, but this morning news has raised a lot of questions for me. If Metal Face was so important to be featured on both versions of the game, why not the Pyrosphere and Ridley?

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
Impa with Ice Climbers. TBH I'm shocked to hear IC potentially cut. I was watching Brawl tourney matches and IC was great.
I've heard that the 3DS doesn't like eight Ice Climbers on screen, which is why they might be cut. I'm personally not giving up all hope yet.

Stop putting Dixie over K.Rool, you're making me sad D:
I personally would prefer K. Rool by far. But leaks point more at Dixie so it's the more commonly acknowledge choice.

Last edited:

PowerBomb

Smash Master
A trailer exclusive to Japan is likely the last? I'm not too sure about that one.
It's possible, but wouldn't Sakurai assume the roster would be completely shown off by then? Or is he going to attempt to wipe all "here's the roster!" vids off of youtube?

Xenorange

Smash Lord
It's possible, but wouldn't Sakurai assume the roster would be completely shown off by then? Or is he going to attempt to wipe all "here's the roster!" vids off of youtube?
I dunno man, the Shulk trailer didn't seem very finale like to me. Maybe I'm just being greedy.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Okay, I’ve watched Shulk’s trailer again to understand more on what could be in store for the rest of the potential newcomers, and I realized that it indirectly helped Ridley’s chances. Now this is all speculation, and it could all be made naught within a matter of days, but bear with me on this.

Metal Face, one of the antagonists in the game Xenoblade, was apparently confirmed to be a boss hazard on the Gaur Plains (via Twitter, or so I’ve heard). The Xenoblade franchise is, as of the moment, a console-exclusive series with its core title on the Wii. Now if we’re to assume that console-based games are going to have derived stages on the Wii U version, and handheld-based games with derived-stages on the 3DS version, it makes sense if the Gaur Plains stage was only found on the Wii U version. Also, Metal Face (as a boss) could potentially be used to advertise the gimmicks found in one version of the game, distinguishing the differences between the 3DS version and Wii U version, if we’re to think that boss hazards will mostly be found on the Wii U version.

But…the stage is also confirmed to be on the 3DS version of the game as well. Now why is that? Could it be that Xenoblade needed a stage on the 3DS version of the game no matter what, or is it that Metal Face is too good to pass up on the handheld version of SSB4? Either way, this just shows that Gaur Plains was considered to be important by the SSB4 development team, and its core features had to be featured on both titles, for different audiences.

Now let’s get to the purple dragon in the room. Ridley is the main antagonist of a long-running franchise that’s been going on for nearly thirty years. The Metroid games have seen titles on both console and handheld games, and Ridley himself has only been absent in three out of twelve titles in the series. And he is certainly no overrated character; Nintendo has recognized him as Samus’s archenemy and used him in advertising whenever they displayed Nintendo’s gallery of villains such as Bowser, Ganondorf, and Andross. He has appeared in every Smash game in the series so far, in some non-playable role, and was around for far longer than Mother Brain, who is sometimes touted as the “real” antagonist of the series. So it makes sense if the stage that he’s present on as a hazard, the Pyrosphere, would be on both versions of the game, right?

Well apparently, according to the leaks, Pyrosphere is not in the 3DS stage line-up. Despite everything that I said earlier, the stage is only found on the Wii U version. We also need to consider the fact that this stage has already appeared on the 3DS, in an entirely different fighting game called “Dead or Alive: Dimensions”, in which Ridley was indeed present as a stage hazard.

Again, this could all be potentially thrown out the window, but this morning news has raised a lot of questions for me. If Metal Face was so important to be featured on both versions of the game, why not the Pyrosphere and Ridley?
I like your logic. Makes me want to believe in Ridley even more then I already did. It actually makes a lot of sense.
Guys. Ridley thread.

You know what 3DS can handle?

A free for all, 4 player Ridley showdown. Yeah.
3 stock.
No items.
Ridley only.
Final Destination.
:awesome:

Last edited:

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I've heard that the 3DS doesn't like eight Ice Climbers on screen, which is why they might be cut. I'm personally not giving up all hope yet..
I find it odd the 3DS doesn't like 8 Ice Climbers on screen but has no problem with 4 Rosalinas and 4 Lumas.

But enough leak talk, 'tis time for Ridley

Last edited:

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
I've been eying these boards since the recent leak and I gotta say, it's awesome to see the fanbase act as voracious as it was back in the days of Brawl's release. We really do cling onto anything we can. Even if (god forbid) Ridley is deconfirmed as playable, I bet all of us will shout out his name for DLC or future titles. Brings me back to my early college days of running around these boards collecting people for our ragtag crew. Really brings a tear to my eye.

So I am super excited for the PAX Prime conference with Smash 3DS, and I can see it going the way it did at E3, where Mii Fighters and Palutena was unveiled in the main trailer while Pac-Man was revealed later on. It seems problematic considering it will be Saturday in Japan by the time the conference starts (as far as my research has seen, it may be done later tonight), and I don't know if the website is willing to reveal stuff during the weekend, but it makes sense to showcase something for the Americas.

Usually any Nintendo Directs shown in specific regions have showcased things only that region would care about, but showing Shulk in Smash (a game made for worldwide release) in a Japanese only direct seems off. So I am really stoked to see what's in store for us at PAX.

I at least think we will get the Smash trailer shown in the Direct in English. But I shall hold out for a character reveal. I won't jinx and say Ridley (mostly because I think he is a secret character and they will hold off on those til after the 3DS release), but something for the West will be awesome to see.

Yay for Shulk.

Ridley for Smash4 ever!

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
I know hes in the game, but what I worry about is there won't be a trailer for him. That would be such an anti-climatic way to put an end to a 14 year long war between supporters and detractors if he's revealed through a player unlocking him and posting it up. A trailer which confirms him would be the most spectacular way to seg-way to Smash's release. Just forget announcing DHD through a trailer. It would have had a novelty of being very unexpected, but really, now we all see him coming, thus I doubt people will be excited for his reveal, since almost no one asked for him.

Last edited:

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
Guys i just made an account to comment on this as much as i love ridley and think he might be in i have a theory why he might not be :
Sakurai was hurt by the leak because he wanted to wow us with shulk. Ridley hasn't been in a pretty confirmed leak while bowser jr, shulk and such were. If he wanted to wow us and kept us hyping about the leak then why didnt he release ridley instead of shulk today?

Another thing that had me thinking if you check the potd from yesterday the first letters of modes spell "ESHOP" and the name used is sophia. When I looked up sophia on the e shop i found "master blaster: AN ENEMY FROM BELOW" now this might not mean a thing and maybe i am looking for things that arnt there but this could be about the leaker, that he's an enemy from below.(i found this myself so if it sounds silly don't think i read it somewhere on some board and please discuss with me)

But eventhough this kinda makes me doubt there is NO REASON why sakurai would hype and hint this much about ridley if he's just a stage hazard.

But you see, that's it! He wants people to think every part of the leak is true, so that on sunday during the PAX confrence, if Ridley is revealed, EVERYBODY is thrown off guard and hype returns. Also, it makes more sense to reveal shulk in the Japanese direct and Ridley in the PAX conference as both characters are wanted most by the countries they are revealed in (America being Ridley).

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
I know hes in the game, but what I worry about is there won't be a trailer for him. That would be such an anti-climatic way to put an end to a 14 year long war between supporters and detractors if he's revealed through a player unlocking him and posting it up. A trailer which confirms him would be the most spectacular way to seg-way to Smash's release. Just forget announcing DHD through a trailer. It would have had a novelty of being very unexpected, but really, now we all see him coming, thus I doubt people will be excited for his reveal, since almost no one asked for him.
If anything, if Sakurai really wants to generate more hype for the game, he'd reveal a character that wasn't leaked. Which I do believe still exist.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Thing is, they seem to love to promote Other M in this game. Roidley is from Other M
And are those two new Metroid games still a thing or was that a rumor?
Right now, Nintendo only has the "intention" of making more Classic and Prine games. There is no more info about it.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Warning Received
oh, yeah... im sure the PC gamers will love that... console gamers will just have to sod off, i guess, right?

seriously... i hate project M with a severe passion... the idea of ridley only being in that, and not in the REAL game... makes me feel homicidal.

that is NOT a good thing.
WHAT? You can play it on actual console! How can Project M tournaments exist then? And why do you hate it?

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

Well, the Dark Emperor isn't on the Wii U. Probably isn't.

I find it odd the 3DS doesn't like 8 Ice Climbers on screen but has no problem with 4 Rosalinas and 4 Lumas.

But enough leak talk, 'tis time for Ridley
The difference is that it is four playable characters and four computer controlled characters, as opposed to eight player characters, with each pair acting simultaneously in attacks. The former needs a whole lot more to be kept track of.

Top Bottom