• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to have the biggest haters gonna hate campaign here and on 4chan after Ridley is announced playable.
Wouldn't that...add fuel to the fire that should've subsided? To me Ridley being announced as playable would be enough success.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Not only that, but we had the same format.

[article link]

[String of text signifying that we're pasting the quote itself here.]

[Specific quote bolded.]

:awesome:

@ Capybara Gaming Capybara Gaming I'm really trying my hardest to not seem rude when I type this, so if I come across as such I apologize...
You seem to be stringent on your stance that there's no way out of interpreting the clip presented to us as Ridley being a boss, as was implied.
For everyone's sake, I'd recommend you drop that thought and then look at everything being presented to you more neutrally. You're of course going to view most everything we say and analyze as straw grasping if you think, from the very beginning, that Ridley is exactly as was implied with little to no wiggle room.
Either look at everything, IE not just the clip, about the situation without making assumptions until the very end, or stop bringing it up completely. Everything we've analyzed is based on the suspicion that there's something worth hiding with regards to Ridley. If you're going to assume that to not be true, then there's frankly nothing worth discussing as our base interpretations differ too dramatically.
You didn't come off as rude. But guys, guys. No need to get upset. Believe it or not I have looked at all the supposed "evidence" through neutral eyes. I just don't see it happening because my sense of logic is different from yours.

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
So, uh...

How about those changes to Meta Knight's character, his nerfed airgame and all? Does this mean that Ridley will have no other serious competition in the airgame?
well the only thing that seems nerfed is metaknights up B. you can still easily quickly tap the jump button and press A in any direction multiple times thanks to MK's more than 3 jumps.

Dudemaster47

Smash Cadet
I've been a long-time lurker in this thread and supporter of Ridley, but...I just want to put this out there.

The whole deal with the Pyrosphere has been odd since the beginning. It was one of the first stages we were introduced to, and its first caption was a blatant hint at Ridley. Since then, we saw it over and over in pictures and short videos with no extrapolation on that quote, no evidence of any sort of hazards or anything at all from that stage in the scores of pictures we had of it.

Then the April direct occurred and the "Other Boss Characters May Appear" thing where Ridley's shadow and tail were shown off to hint at...Ridley being a stage hazard?

Since then, we've gotten very little on the Pyrosphere (which, before the direct, was one of the most shown stages), if nothing at all. Despite it being one of the first stages revealed to us, having been first shown a year ago, it didn't appear in any of the demos. Any information we get about the stages dances around the Pyrosphere and avoids it. We still know almost nothing about this stage despite the number of photos we've seen it in, and despite the fact that it's been a year since we first saw it.

So...why? It's not like the popularity of Ridley isn't known by Nintendo and Sakurai; if they knew how highly requested Mega Man was, they were doubtless aware of the other fan favorites like Mewtwo or Ridley. So...making Ridley a stage hazard would obviously disappoint a lot of people. That's a fact.

...Which means that hiding everything about Ridley except for the fact that he MIGHT be a stage hazard on Pyrosphere, and then refusing to extrapolate any more on the matter or even the Pyrosphere in general is a little suspicious, no? It's a month from the 3DS release in Japan, which means there's a month for Sakurai to come clean about Ridley. Troll or not, if he were to confirm beyond a doubt that Ridley was a stage hazard all along at this point it'd only disappoint a large number people right before the game's release. On the other hand, if he were to reveal the whole shadow thing in the April direct was a huge troll and Ridley was a playable character, he'd be saving one of the most controversial and hype-inducing characters to be one of the last ones revealed before release.

I'm not going to go into everything with the shadow analysis, nor can I say it's one way or the other. Ridley could very well be a stage hazard at this point because it's really...not clear at all. What is clear is that the Pyrosphere is being handled really oddly and we haven't even had anything more to confirm or explain Ridley's appearance in the stage or anything else at all about the stage since we saw his shadow four months ago. The fact that they're still hiding Ridley and anything that could possibly confirm or deny his status even now is pretty much what keeps my hopes up for it; it's too suspicious.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
Here's a thought, from a "dumb-Ridley-supporter": If you don't think Ridley is playable, that's fine. But don't come on here with info we've heard months ago and try to change our opinions. You can go on Miiverse, FB, and Gamefaqs and talk crap about it all you want, but the Smashboards Ridley Support thread? That wasn't a smart idea on your part. Moral of the story, if you don't think he's playable, the more power to you. I'm sorry I want a dragon in a video game, shame on me.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
I've been a long-time lurker in this thread and supporter of Ridley, but...I just want to put this out there.

The whole deal with the Pyrosphere has been odd since the beginning. It was one of the first stages we were introduced to, and its first caption was a blatant hint at Ridley. Since then, we saw it over and over in pictures and short videos with no extrapolation on that quote, no evidence of any sort of hazards or anything at all from that stage in the scores of pictures we had of it.

Then the April direct occurred and the "Other Boss Characters May Appear" thing where Ridley's shadow and tail were shown off to hint at...Ridley being a stage hazard?

Since then, we've gotten very little on the Pyrosphere (which, before the direct, was one of the most shown stages), if nothing at all. Despite it being one of the first stages revealed to us, having been first shown a year ago, it didn't appear in any of the demos. Any information we get about the stages dances around the Pyrosphere and avoids it. We still know almost nothing about this stage despite the number of photos we've seen it in, and despite the fact that it's been a year since we first saw it.

So...why? It's not like the popularity of Ridley isn't known by Nintendo and Sakurai; if they knew how highly requested Mega Man was, they were doubtless aware of the other fan favorites like Mewtwo or Ridley. So...making Ridley a stage hazard would obviously disappoint a lot of people. That's a fact.

...Which means that hiding everything about Ridley except for the fact that he MIGHT be a stage hazard on Pyrosphere, and then refusing to extrapolate any more on the matter or even the Pyrosphere in general is a little suspicious, no? It's a month from the 3DS release in Japan, which means there's a month for Sakurai to come clean about Ridley. Troll or not, if he were to confirm beyond a doubt that Ridley was a stage hazard all along at this point it'd only disappoint a large number people right before the game's release. On the other hand, if he were to reveal the whole shadow thing in the April direct was a huge troll and Ridley was a playable character, he'd be saving one of the most controversial and hype-inducing characters to be one of the last ones revealed before release.

I'm not going to go into everything with the shadow analysis, nor can I say it's one way or the other. Ridley could very well be a stage hazard at this point because it's really...not clear at all. What is clear is that the Pyrosphere is being handled really oddly and we haven't even had anything more to confirm or explain Ridley's appearance in the stage or anything else at all about the stage since we saw his shadow four months ago. The fact that they're still hiding Ridley and anything that could possibly confirm or deny his status even now is pretty much what keeps my hopes up for it; it's too suspicious.
Don't you ever drink that gosh darned water.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
They've been highlighted through the first boss, Yellow Devil.
People have already posted the interviews for me.
Sorry, didn't see that. The thread moves too fast when I go to sleep.

That's not what I said. I said Mac is a Western fan favorite (and was criticized by Japanese fans) so I would think he would also try to please his own people.
The most heavily request character in Japan (in fact, the most heavily requested overall if you count all requests in the world) has not yet been confirmed. I think he has a trailer waiting to get that confirmation out of the way at the same time he reveals the SECOND most highly requested character, who is Ridley.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
To think that Ridley's inclusion would make Japanese fans boycott the release of SSB4...

Like I'm pretty sure that there's been a mass exodus in the fanbase after Little Mac's confirmation.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
You didn't come off as rude. But guys, guys. No need to get upset. Believe it or not I have looked at all the supposed "evidence" through neutral eyes. I just don't see it happening because my sense of logic is different from yours.
I'm not talking about the "evidence." The "evidence" means nothing if we don't establish basics.
What I am talking about is the context of the situation at hand.

We have this clip.
But not only that, we have context surrounding the clip:

First, Sakurai always fully shows nonplayable characters and illuminates on their role. He has done this much more bluntly with some of the more popular characters such as Ashley, Waluigi, Skull Kid, and Chrom.

Second, Nintendo, and Sakurai, do listen to fans. Even though it was used as the butt of a joke, Nintendo acknowledged the outcry for a localized Mother 3 and a new Star Fox game in their Digital Event at this year’s E3. Regardless of whether they go through with either, though they’ve gone through with one those things, it still shows that they are aware of what their fans want. Sakurai even said in the Smash Direct that he has “player expectations to fulfill” when introducing Lucario’s mega evolution.

And lastly, Ridley, whether positively, negatively, or neutrally, is one of the most talked about character with regards to Smash Bros.
Ridley Smash4 videos, whether they be Shokio's or whoever's, get many views for a reason. GameFAQs gets those tons a Ridley troll threads for a reason. The Ridley support thread is, by far, the largest character support thread on this forum for a reason.

Now, if we don't agree on these fundamental things, then we don't really have anywhere to go. :p

T-Hell

Smash Lord
The most heavily request character in Japan (in fact, the most heavily requested overall if you count all requests in the world) has not yet been confirmed. I think he has a trailer waiting to get that confirmation out of the way at the same time he reveals the SECOND most highly requested character, who is Ridley.
Who's the first, K.Rool or Mewtwo?

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
To think that Ridley's inclusion would make Japanese fans boycott the release of SSB4...

Like I'm pretty sure that there's been a mass exodus in the fanbase after Little Mac's confirmation.
Maybe among small children. IE People that use Miiverse. :troll:
But in Japanese culture people don't usually "complain." They have a kind of "so it goes" attitude when they're put into a situation they don't like.
There's a specific saying they have, actually, but I can't remember. :ohwell:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Maybe among small children. IE People that use Miiverse. :troll:
But in Japanese culture people don't usually "complain." They have a kind of "so it goes" attitude when they're put into a situation they don't like.
There's a specific saying they have, actually, but I can't remember. :ohwell:
In Particular I remember reading one Japanese fan said "The guy from Punch-Out? Really? That guy's not an All-Star!"

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
In Particular I remember reading one Japanese fan said "The guy from Punch-Out? Really? That guy's not an All-Star!"
Ah, yeah, that was a funny article. Hehe
Thankfully there were also some people standing up for him. Actually going so far as to bring up his popularity "in the West."
But, yeah, I think that the ones who are loudest about it in Japan are young'ns.

iiPandie

Smash Rookie
I just realized Ridley's shadow shown in the April Direct said Boss Character APPERANCES not specifically saying they would be implemented on that stage as a boss, for example characters like Bowser, or King Dedede, or DK, and most likely Ganondorf returning are all boss characters but their playable. Plus Saku troll wouldn't build so much hype on Ridley with all this teasing and hinting to just drop him at the last minute., that would cause a lot of fan raiging and wars all over the internet, and God almighty we should avoid that before Miiverse becomes an even darker black hole then it already is. ;-;:lol:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
View attachment 21518
Have fun debating over a already finalized roster, everyone! I'm just gonna sit back and watch the arguing, as usual.
Yup. There is no point in debating about the roster or anything really, at least in regards of the handheld version. The game has gone gold already, so what's done, is done.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
It's funny how when Marth and Roy were in Melee, interest in FE in the states and Europe sparked. Same with Little Mac. I think instead of boycotting Ridley, they'd think he's ****ing awesome and become interested in what games he's been in.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Here's a thought, from a "dumb-Ridley-supporter": If you don't think Ridley is playable, that's fine. But don't come on here with info we've heard months ago and try to change our opinions. You can go on Miiverse, FB, and Gamefaqs and talk crap about it all you want, but the Smashboards Ridley Support thread? That wasn't a smart idea on your part. Moral of the story, if you don't think he's playable, the more power to you. I'm sorry I want a dragon in a video game, shame on me.
Don't cite Shokio, aka the guy who pre-Brawl in 2007 kept telling me how stupid I was for having Sonic in my roster on my video and not Waluigi and how that's an abomination (because he hates Sonic and gets off to Waluigi), as a source as to "why Ridley isn't happening".

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
No, but the game is complete already, so there is no point in debating about characters "chances" of being in Smash 4 anymore.
The roster was set before development, so was there ever any point to debating that?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Oh true, is there still hopes for them not showing secret characters though? Or naww.....xD
There still are characters to be announced, don't worry. Secret or not secret, we don't know the full roster yet.

kisamehoshi34

Smash Apprentice
hey if I buy the super smash bros japanes with the 3ds *** version on sep 4 that I found on ebay ,can I still play online with someone in the usa and eu or is only for ***?

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
You've got to realize the moment people began speculating about Chrom and Sable, tweets were launched to stop said speculation. In Chrom's case, the trailer was just somewhat ambiguous about his role. In the case of Sable, Sakurai didn't explicitly state his role. In Ridley's case, we were met with disappointment, which eventually subsided and was replaced with hope. People still believe Ridley is in as a playable character, and it's become rather widespread. Sakurai is late with his deconfirmation tweet. Very late.

Also, a request here. Could someone brew me an image of what we think is the size of Ridley, placed on the normal (not FD version) Pyrosphere, alongside the Other M sized Ridley?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Here's the thing with the Japanese smash fanbase... they're small, easy to please, and honestly, they don't care about Smash that much.

Heck, from what I've heard from Smashers in Japan who play competitive, the competitive smashers get ostracized by non-competitive smashers super often over there on the internet.

For Smash, Europe, America, and probably South America and maybe Australia are bigger Smash fanbases than Japan (or in the case of the latter 2, eventually they will be). Japan's shrinking population is a big reason for this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom