• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

So let's say Ridley IS a boss please no what would be the "reward" I doubt he would explode like YD because that would be disappointing. Only thing I can think of is firing a final attack that doesn't affect you

D

Deleted member

I thought you meant it already was happening and you got my hopes up because I've been sitting on 1000+ coins in my club nintendo account for awhile now waiting for something worthwhile to buy
Sorry about that, I have 1000+ coins too. It could be a Streetpass hat though, if something of the sort happens.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I am going to voice an unpopular opinion here, but please be kind.

I want a general Nintendo Direct on the 20th, and I do NOT want Ridley confirmed during it.

While, yes, the anniversary of the trolling makes some sense, I want more trolling. Have a brief discussion of bosses (showing off more than the Yellow Devil), then end with a similar Pyrosphere tease and the line "some bosses may be familiar to Smash veterans". Then end the Direct with a newcomer trailer for Isaac and Shulk (or whoever else, as long as Isaac is in) that also shows off Ganondorf (with new move set) and Meta Knight. That's it.

Then, ten days before Smash 4 releases, we get another Direct, and this one is a Smash Direct. What makes more sense than the anniversary to announce Ridley? To finish the week-before Direct with the trailer that holds the two most highly requested Smash characters. Ridley versus Mewtwo, just as they held off Ganondorf until the week before Hyrule Warriors. Mewtwo, as a veteran, wouldn't get his own trailer. But they could pair these two Titans against each other in the ultimate hype-building clash. No other villains, no distractions. Just the sheer awesomeness of Ridley and Mewtwo going at it.

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice
I am going to voice an unpopular opinion here, but please be kind.

I want a general Nintendo Direct on the 20th, and I do NOT want Ridley confirmed during it.

While, yes, the anniversary of the trolling makes some sense, I want more trolling. Have a brief discussion of bosses (showing off more than the Yellow Devil), then end with a similar Pyrosphere tease and the line "some bosses may be familiar to Smash veterans". Then end the Direct with a newcomer trailer for Isaac and Shulk (or whoever else, as long as Isaac is in) that also shows off Ganondorf (with new move set) and Meta Knight. That's it.

Then, ten days before Smash 4 releases, we get another Direct, and this one is a Smash Direct. What makes more sense than the anniversary to announce Ridley? To finish the week-before Direct with the trailer that holds the two most highly requested Smash characters. Ridley versus Mewtwo, just as they held off Ganondorf until the week before Hyrule Warriors. Mewtwo, as a veteran, wouldn't get his own trailer. But they could pair these two Titans against each other in the ultimate hype-building clash. No other villains, no distractions. Just the sheer awesomeness of Ridley and Mewtwo going at it.
I admit it would be awesome, but a lot of people (myself included) are just getting incredibly impatient and just want his status to be announced already. If I was patient enough, I would love to see this.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I admit it would be awesome, but a lot of people (myself included) are just getting incredibly impatient and just want his status to be announced already. If I was patient enough, I would love to see this.
Part of why I want this so much is I feel that clash, Ridley versus Mewtwo, makes too much sense as the final newcomer trailer, and I'm afraid if we get it on the 20th, there will be no more before release.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Part of why I want this so much is I feel that clash, Ridley versus Mewtwo, makes too much sense as the final newcomer trailer, and I'm afraid if we get it on the 20th, there will be no more before release.
I could see shulk as a final hype for japan, isn't he their most wanted newcomer?

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
Wouldn't it be hilarious if Ridley was never announced and on the 3DS version they have a Metroid stage that has Ridley as a boss and if you beat him he becomes unlockable? (then having it revealed that the stage has no boss) That would be the biggest troll I could imagine

D

Deleted member

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Ridley was never announced and on the 3DS version they have a Metroid stage that has Ridley as a boss and if you beat him he becomes unlockable? (then having it revealed that the stage has no boss) That would be the biggest troll I could imagine
Sakurai's done that in Kirby Air Ride: If you beat King Dedede in you unlock him for city trial and free run. And Sakurai already said Smash Run was similar to Kirby Air Ride with its power up system, wynaut Ridley pulling a King Dedede … :happysheep:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Hey guys
I changed my Icon again
Mega Slowbro master race :080:

Maybe this has to be in the second post.
I've just now noticed how he stops again at the end.
But why does he?
The stage is fairly small, he doesn't need to stop twice without turning around.
Suspicious...

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I just want to know Ridley's role already, boss or PC. Waiting so long is getting tiresome. Of course, if Ridley is playable then it'll have been completely worth any extra waiting I do (while the opposite is also true for Hazardley) but I just want to see him soon.

Gonna play Devil's advocate and explain one theory I've been hearing....You guys talked about how Chrom and Prince Sable were both clarified to be unplayable and how Ridley wasn't. I'm pretty sure this is only because those characters were shown in a playable like fashion while Ridley was shown as a Boss and the only people really "confused" are the Ridley supporters.
I would argue that the main point in this "stating when disconfirmed" argument is that the reason Sakurai does it is to prevent false hype, as shown here. Ridley being an incredibly popular character in the west, Sakurai would have been fully aware that posting anything that wasn't an outright disconfirmation (like the other characters) would cause speculation and hype. The vague implication of the line in the Direct had to have been intended to be vague; the confirmation of the disconfirmation of Chrom to IGN proves that if Ridley hype were to not have been supposed to arise from the shadow tease, Nintendo would have clarified this. Thus, disconfirming characters outright to stop false hype adds to the pile of stuff going for Ridley.

...There is Dark Pit that hasn't been clarified, but part of me wonders whether that's hyping him up as an alternate costume for Pit. Arguably, if Sakurai can hype an alternate costume he can hype a stage boss, but it's important to remember that an alternate costume is still playable, whereas a stage boss is not.

...I'm arguing with myself now. Karkat 2.0.

First long post I've made to this thread in a while, anyway. Thank you for letting me, Solar! Writing long posts like that is fun.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I found a pretty funny trailer leak that would be the perfect tease to Ridley:
Upcoming character reveal details
>Character reveal trailer begins
>We see Mario, Pikachu, Kirby and SAMUS walking
>Wing flapping can be heard
>You see Samus look up and grab her arm cannon
>Screen changes to the sky
>You can only see 1 wing
>1 purple "Bat" wing with a spike on top
>Samus steps up and starts charging her arm cannon
>The winged foe lands but we can only see it's wing
>Samus is about to fire her arm cannon
>Kirby ****ing jumps infront of samus and looks at her with a glance that says "i ****ing got this"
>Camera returns to the one single "Bat wing"
>Camera pans out, we see a golden spiked sword
>"FIGHT ME!"
>Bright shine over that glorious silver mask
>Meta knight -Glides in!-
>Trailer ends with meta knight gliding towards kirby as he is about to slash his ****

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
Looking at that gif of Ridley's shadow sorta made me realize something. That seems to be the final destination form of Pyrosphere, and if we get confirmed that stage bosses don't appear on Final Destination stages it would confirm Ridley.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779

I just noticed something odd about this.

Really analyze the moment we see Ridley's tail, to where the shadow is. It almost doesn't make sense judging by the camera's placement.

Our view is just... off.

It looks like maybe the footage was recorded, then cropped to an extent. Which is odd, why make such an effort to not let us see something?

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker

I never really paid much attention to Ridley's shadow shown in the direct and there are other factors that make me think that Ridley is very likely playable. Such as lack of villains, Sakurai hinting Ridley while not stating his name, and so on. Honestly, I literally JUST noticed Ridley grabbing Pikachu (I think?). Do bosses/hazards in Smash grab the fighters? Hmmm...

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Looking at that gif of Ridley's shadow sorta made me realize something. That seems to be the final destination form of Pyrosphere, and if we get confirmed that stage bosses don't appear on Final Destination stages it would confirm Ridley.

this.... this actually makes a lot of sense....

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The thing is, we can't really determine whether or not that's the Final Destination version of the stage. The one indicator of what version it is would be the platforms, but the camera is angled just to the point where we can't see them.

Now, that raises the question of why the camera is angled just to the point where we can't see them, but that's a different matter.

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
Also I just realized that Pikachu is a boss and a character.

I took a look at the way he kinda jumped into the stage and it looks like he could have a feature where he runs while gliding? It certainly seems like Ridley would be an OP flying character if all of his movement is based off the air.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Actually, at the time this video was made, the FD version was pretty barebones. There's a light in the background that was only on the regular version, and the shot is angled so that the platforms are JUST out of sight.

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
Actually, at the time this video was made, the FD version was pretty barebones. There's a light in the background that was only on the regular version, and the shot is angled so that the platforms are JUST out of sight.
Wouldn't you be able to see the shadows of the platforms though? You can see them in this picture right here. They could've edited it out or something I guess but I still wonder why'd they do that.

Captain Bananoz!!!

Smash Rookie
This might be sort of off-topic, but I feel that Zero Suit Samus becoming her own separate character might've been Sakarai's excuse to not put Ridley in the game, and Samus and Zero Suit Samus make two Metroid reps. :p

Weavel

Smash Ace
This might be sort of off-topic, but I feel that Zero Suit Samus becoming her own separate character might've been Sakarai's excuse to not put Ridley in the game, and Samus and Zero Suit Samus make two Metroid reps. :p
I always hated the fact that zero suit samus was a character. Rather just have an alt costume for samus without a helmet.

Top Bottom