• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Not cool at all guys. We are NOT to be so opposed to opposing arguments as to instantly declare the opposition "trolls" and going on the offensive.

Discern first. Discern second. Act third.

This guys. Cmon' stay civil. In this house, we don't like repeating history

Last edited:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Pikachu wasn't grabbed? Alot of people here would disagree with that.
...So? A lot of people might be wrong.

I didn't just say "Pikachu wasn't grabbed". I tossed down several points as to why Pikachu likely wasn't grabbed. The points still hold.

Especially the two points that Ridley's arms extend the wrong direction for supposedly grabbing something off the ground, and the supposed body of Pikachu vanishes the moment Ridley resumes his flight path.

If you have any explanations for these, I'm open to your interpretation.

As for on the Ridley being too big topic, I only referenced Shokio for joking purposes. I did compare the tail bone of Ridley to Pikachu and how ridiculously big Ridley would look compared to Pikachu if the whole model was seen, NOT about how he was big in previous Metroid games and how weird he would look downsized like Shokio explained.
I'm still iffy on the tapered tail bone argument. I do believe Ridley was traveling along the same plane as Pikachu, but who knows exactly how the tail itself was moving. Yes it could have also been on the same plane as Pikachu and thus as large as him. It also could have moved closer to the camera during those very few frames.

...And as Oasis_S managed to demonstrate, even with that tail bone being larger than Pikachu, Ridley wouldn't necessarily be HUGE in comparison. It's tough to discern this from a T-Stance, but I've looked at Other M Ridley enough to recognize the size comparison would reveal a surprisingly not-so-huge creature.

...Still would have a rather large wingspan however.

D

Deleted member

I'm still iffy on the tapered tail bone argument. I do believe Ridley was traveling along the same plane as Pikachu, but who knows exactly how the tail itself was moving. Yes it could have also been on the same plane as Pikachu and thus as large as him. It also could have moved closer to the camera during those very few frames.

...And as Oasis_S managed to demonstrate, even with that tail bone being larger than Pikachu, Ridley wouldn't necessarily be HUGE in comparison. It's tough to discern this from a T-Stance, but I've looked at Other M Ridley enough to recognize the size comparison would reveal a surprisingly not-so-huge creature.

...Still would have a rather large wingspan however.
I think we need a size comparison with Samus, Bowser, etc. I can't really see anything comparing with Pikachu, except by the fact that he is a lot smaller than his Brawl's counterpart

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
Pikachu wasn't grabbed? Alot of people here would disagree with that. As for on the Ridley being too big topic, I only referenced Shokio for joking purposes. I did compare the tail bone of Ridley to Pikachu and how ridiculously big Ridley would look compared to Pikachu if the whole model was seen, NOT about how he was big in previous Metroid games and how weird he would look downsized like Shokio explained. And why Ridley wasn't revealed like how the Yellow Devil was? It could be just hinting like, "You know who this is." Also, they aren't going to show every Boss character that will work on other stages. You could take it as the showing of the Yellow Devil as an example of how boss characters will appear on other stages, they only showed Yellow Devil because people wanted to know what the heck that Yellow thing does since the first trailer.

I finished the picture does it help with size comparison
You see whats happening here is some camera magic Sakurai is pulling off. Here look at this blue Pikmin....MAN IS HE HUGE!!!! No? The camera angle just makes him seem way bigger then he is.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/e8a268e5c10df9fe91ac5fca133b9175/tumblr_inline_n1c1p3LnNl1s2c7j8.jpg

SONICS HEAD IS BIGGER THEN LINK!!!

http://operationrainfall.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/SONIC-003.jpg

See got you again magic! But for real Sakurai using these camera angles just goes to show how hard he is trying to hide Ridley's size. He isn't fooling me with simple tricks....

K41Z0

Smash Cadet
You see whats happening here is some camera magic Sakurai is pulling off. Here look at this blue Pikmin....MAN IS HE HUGE!!!! No? The camera angle just makes him seem way bigger then he is.

https://31.media.tumblr.com/e8a268e5c10df9fe91ac5fca133b9175/tumblr_inline_n1c1p3LnNl1s2c7j8.jpg

SONICS HEAD IS BIGGER THEN LINK!!!

http://operationrainfall.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/SONIC-003.jpg

See got you again magic! But for real Sakurai using these camera angles just goes to show how hard he is trying to hide Ridley's size. He isn't fooling me with simple tricks....
Of course when you make the camera angled toward the screen you will perceive things to be much bigger. In the photo of Ridley you showed, it is only angled slightly from the original camera position.
Now lets see how big Ridley is compared to Pikachu with Pikachu at the position of Ridley's tail.
pikachu3.png

even then, Pikachu is still smaller than Ridley's tail bone.

LOGIA666

Smash Apprentice
Well it is all a matter of opinion on who deserves a spot in smash the most.
I disagree. The characters most deserving are the ones that have the greatest influence on Nintendo's history. That's why Link and Mario were in Smash 64 instead of Daisy and Skull Kid for example. In Melee, they furthered this by adding the next most relevant characters, like Ganondorf and Bowser, who were main antagonists for those series, and as such, were some of the most popular.

Samus was in the very first game, and is in a series that has been around for over 20 years, being one of the most critically acclaimed video game series in history, yet hasn't had her antagonist, Ridley featured, which is especially distasteful in the fact that Ridley is by far the most recognized Metroid character next to Samus.

Meanwhile, we've had Ganondorf, Bowser, King DDD, (Meta Knight for Anti hero) Wolf, (Not the main antagonist like Andross, but the next one to him) and a few others as well (DK and Wario were technically antagonists in their early games) On top of that, we've had three reps from Fire Emblem, a far less popular series.

I don't mean to blast your opinion to bits, but the most deserving characters for Smash are hardly a matter of opinion, unless of course it's your opinion that having all of those things I said above (20+ years running, no reps since 64, etc, etc, etc) are irrelevant, which is of course ridiculous.

Last edited:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

I feel like I shouldn't do the request for if Ridley tail were the same size as Pikachu, because it pretty clearly isn't, and I don't want to feed hopeful fools.

Also AGAIN keep in mind this isn't exactly the size it was in the video. Could be even bigger, which I think it is. Was basing it purely if it were twice the height of Pikachu.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

I feel like I shouldn't do the request for if Ridley tail were the same size as Pikachu, because it pretty clearly isn't, and I don't want to feed hopeful fools.

Also AGAIN keep in mind this isn't exactly the size it was in the video. Could be even bigger, which I think it is. Was basing it purely if it were twice the height of Pikachu.
Ok from the shadow and pikachus as well your model is too big big time to match the shadow approximate size

(Maybe even if you add a bend In the knees)

Not the wings but the tips of each things in the purple box is much closer to the shadow in my opinion

Last edited:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Ok from the shadow and pikachus as well your model is too big big time to match the shadow approximate size
You'd rather go by a skewed shadow than a model?

What a weirdo.

What doesn't match here is reality and your hopes.

The model is rather close to matching up to Samus's size in relation to Ridley's in Other M. Smash borrows many assets, so it wouldn't be out of the ordinary if he's using the same model I have now, and scaled it accordingly. You're welcome to believe how my hypothesis I just made up isn't as good as all the others floating about around here.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
You'd rather go by a skewed shadow than a model?

What a weirdo.

What doesn't match here is reality and your hopes.

The model is rather close to matching up to Samus's size in relation to Ridley's in Other M. Smash borrows many assets, so it wouldn't be out of the ordinary if he's using the same model I have now, and scaled it accordingly. You're welcome to believe how my hypothesis I just made up isn't as good as all the others floating about around here.
What if you made a 3D model of the shadow itself

that would show 'em

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
What if you made a 3D model of the shadow itself

that would show 'em
That reminds me SHORTS wondered if I could recreate the scene from Melee's intro, to once and for all get NUMBERS on his "Melee size" since we seem to love it so much.

I guess it's possible, but that's a lot of work for an amateur like me, even if I am the Strongest amateur in the world.

It would also assume the Brawl model has the same proportions as the Melee one.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
That reminds me SHORTS wondered if I could recreate the scene from Melee's intro, to once and for all get NUMBERS on his "Melee size" since we seem to love it so much.

I guess it's possible, but that's a lot of work for an amateur like me, even if I am the Strongest amateur in the world.

It would also assume the Brawl model has the same proportions as the Melee one.
Although it's definitely out-dated, I think it'd be an interesting idea, for sure. I'm not sure how you'd scale it, but I'm fairly sure it's the same model as his melee trophy.

And making a 3D model of a shadow is ez. This is because shadows have no volume.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So I recently discovered these official Super Metroid manga shorts.

Samus is kinda an idiot, but unlike Other M, its hilarious.

K41Z0

Smash Cadet
RIDLEY downsized.png

I took Oasis' picture and lasso tooled Ridley, then held shift so that the width and height can remain the same and resized it until Ridley's tail reached Pikachu's height.
Hmmmm... what do you guys think about this? (Sorry for the crappy photoshop)

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
So I recently discovered these official Super Metroid manga shorts.

Samus is kinda an idiot, but unlike Other M, its hilarious.
I'm not even going to get into what's wrong there. I shouldn't really need to explain it.

But yeah anyway, I dunno why people come in here literally to stir up trouble with Ridley supporters with things like "Ridley can't happen because of Shokio and you can't be mad that I am literally coming here to troll you because I AM discussing Ridley and just voicing my opinion." Like, really? What?

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
View attachment 12868
Yeah this seems pretty perfect. I think Ridley's tail bone in the direct is pointing at the screen like Charizards always seems to do.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/f6f992121a47adc053865ee1c7af5714/tumblr_n3qj9a2q1U1svd4e4o4_1280.jpg

You can actually see Ridley's tail shadow swing. Here if you wanna watch it slower. So yeah Ridley's twice as long tip is just an illusion.

http://gfycat.com/ComfortableIncompatibleAzurewingedmagpie#?speed=2.2958874039497803e-41

majora_787

Smash Hero
This is a term?

Why is this a term...
I'm pretty sure it's always been a term. To describe people who have decided somehow it is impossible to make Ridley playable in a non-canon fighting game where size doesn't matter at all because of his size in unrelated canon appearances.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I'm pretty sure it's always been a term. To describe people who have decided somehow it is impossible to make Ridley playable in a non-canon fighting game where size doesn't matter at all because of his size in unrelated canon appearances.
I don't remember ever hearing it pre brawl

however it has a nice ring to it, and is fairly apt, without being too insulting.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Regardless if the argument is valid or not, it sounds like such a silly and childish term to use against those who think that way.

Just like "genwunner". Ugh.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Regardless if the argument is valid or not, it sounds like such a silly and childish term to use against those who think that way.

We're supposed to use a kind and respectful term for people who go out of their way to harrass Ridley fans and supporters with extremely false logic that you could only find accurate with the most ridiculous lack of understanding?

Well, if you say so. I don't think anyone will agree, but you don't have to use it.

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
View attachment 12868
I took Oasis' picture and lasso tooled Ridley, then held shift so that the width and height can remain the same and resized it until Ridley's tail reached Pikachu's height.
That looks pretty good.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Well they are both purple. And really tall and skinny. It all makes sense now. :laugh:
Don't forget they both try hard.

-

Regarding the "Pikachu is half as big as the tail tip" thing:

Perspective makes things seem bigger than they are. Even if Ridley is a boss, I can see Pikachu being bigger than half the tail.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Can't say I'm a fan of either term myself. I can understand getting annoyed by people like that and all, but I tend to ignore them myself. Funny thing is, I remember hearing that "Genwunner" was first used for Transformers rather than Pokemon.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
We're supposed to use a kind and respectful term for people who go out of their way to harrass Ridley fans and supporters with extremely false logic that you could only find accurate with the most ridiculous lack of understanding?
When you have to go out of your way to actually make up a term to describe people who think that way, it is very childish.

Rather than making up a more respectful term (as mocking as "toobigot" is, it's not the problem), it's better not to use a term over a very specific thing at all.

Can't say I'm a fan of either term myself. I can understand getting annoyed by people like that and all, but I tend to ignore them myself. Funny thing is, I remember hearing that "Genwunner" was first used for Transformers rather than Pokemon.
That's a lot better, if you ask me.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I find toobigot much more flattering than just calling them assholes. Likewise, there's equally demeaning names used for both sides. Ridleytards come to mind.

IIRC it caught on with a few notable users (BKupa comes to mind) who have used the term long before now, let alone on this site. It was used primarily because it was funny, and for the users it was referring to (the bigots who just happen to preach nothing but Ridley is too big regardless of any logical rebuttal), it was actually fitting.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

That IS big, but since Ridley is always seen in a crouched, bent over position, he may not end up looking THAT gigantic.

Apparently Ridley is Waluigi
Thanks for giving me an excuse to post this again.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
If Roidley is a playable boss as some have suggested, how would it work exactly? I see two main possibilities:

1. The player who defeats him can control Ridley for a set period of time, attacking other players. Maybe ride him.
2. On Pyrosphere, a fifth player uses the Gamepad to control Ridley while the 4 player characters are brawling. This could be a pretty cool example of asymmetric gameplay. Or perhaps there will be an entirely new mode which pits up to 4 player characters against player controlled bosses.

The most boring option: as with the Yellow Devil, Ridley is controlled by AI, and whoever delivers the final blow gets a final ferocious attack by Ridley credited to them. There's no way this will happen however - it wouldn't make sense for Sakurai to tease and obfuscate for so long, only to reveal Ridley as having the same exact gameplay role as Yellow Devil.

I still fully expect a normal player character version of Ridley, by the way.

Last edited:

Dragon1128

Smash Cadet
Pyrosphere lengths.jpg
I did the liberty of comparing "lengths" it out.

While it's fairly "rough" and quickly done, If you compare the "shadow image" you can see that Ridley's tail goes from the Large pillar(with the green circle in it.) to the middle, where his hands ends. it's at a slight angle.

If you look at the shadow, you can see that Ridley's wings go from approximately the middle, to OFF the stage.

Take this as you will, like I said, it's really rough and quickly done, but going from the pillar to the center is a HUGE length.

Also note, samus is crouching. Upright she's not that "long" It's also hard to find a picture of bowser and pikachu close to each other, so I guessed pika's length based on the picture of the Ridley shadow.

It's all a guesstimation, but it's a rough look at it. I'm sure somebody could improve upon it easily.

I did it as close as I could, but obviously it's not perfect. I don't really expect to convince anybody, nor do I want to. Just something to add to the conversation is all.

Ridley Dimensions.png
He's the shadow for comparison to the above post. Note the angle of the tail/hands. Wings are also at a sight angle. Obviously. So his wingspan is actually LARGER than I've shown. Also, the other pikachu(the back one) is actually covering where the wing ends. "VERY" close to the middle of the stage.

The weird camera angle in the shadow image makes all this comparing hard and fairly meaningless though.

Again, this is ALL my opinion. I know I'm not going to persuade anyone, nor is that what I wish. Merely just observations to add to the discussion.

Just don't flame me too hard, please. D:

Last edited by a moderator:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
@Dragon1128 :3 nice!

um....just be careful and do not double post....you should ask someone how can you put more images in one post....

Top Bottom