• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Funny story when watching the Direct. After Ridley's shadow was shown, my computer crashed. At least I know my Computer supported him, too. Disappointed, but I'll get over it, there is always PM and of course next time

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
What a freaking hot mess the entire Smash 4 speculation scene is about to become.

It's not just because of the fact that Ridley is almost certainly a hazard either.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'll say this once, and no more. Anyone smarmy enough to go "I told you so" in ANY deconfirmed character's support thread is getting infracted, no holds barred.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Anyways, there's something I've been wondering... what kind of stage hazard moves in the fashion Ridley did?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Project M is our hope. We need this at this point.
The team teased Ridley quite a bit in their latest video. They panned throughout several areas of Norfair, you heard Ridley's Super Metroid cry right before Samus appeared, and at the end of the video there was a Challenger Approaching silhouette of Ridley.

If it was all trolling, the joke is now on the team considering now people will have the expectations on them what Sakurai WONT.

Dragomire

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GoodGuyCrocomire
Charizard and Greninja are two of my favorite Pokémon, and I'm glad that they got in. But... I actually screamed "NO." when Ridley was de-confirmed.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
WELL, I wouldn't blame some for still holding out hope, after my thoughts toward Toon Link I don't think I could, but I think I'm pretty much done.

AGAIN I DON'T REALLY BLAME ANYONE but it's still a little disappointing how Salty some are after the presentation. It was pure amazing and we got loads of new, incredible information and it was very enjoyable all around.

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice
deconfirmed? guys this is just way too easy.

i'm not going to assume anything anymore ( yeah right ), but if you think this is a straigth deconfirm; you are just trolling yourself really.
we've been trolled 5 TIMES or so in that direct, it's what he does. it's what he's good at. why? because smash bros is the biggest selling point. they want to spice up the fans to keep the hype going.

i mean - there i go again - it's perfectly logical that that shadow of ridley, is indeed ridley. but a playable ridley that does some aeria ****

all i'm saying is just don't give up yet.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Well, thanks for killing my interest in this game Sakurai.

Way to ****ING COPY DEAD OR ALIVE DIMENSIONS YOU ASS.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
There's one outlier in this, and that's Project M.

Otherwise, deep sympathy to every single Ridley supporter, there's always next game.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
NO HE WASN'T

DID YOU NOT NOTICE THE REPEATED TROLLING THROUGHOUT THE VIDEO

THE PSEUDO-PALUTENA TROPHY

THE "Other bosses MAY make an appearance on this stage" AND THE AMBIGUOUS APPEARANCE OF NOTHING BUT RIDLEY'S SHADOW

This ain't over.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Can't wait for everyone to call me an idiot for supporting a character that apparently never had a chance to begin with.
Bring it! I can take it!

Oh, who am I kidding? I'm-a just go put my effort into K. Rool to soften the wound.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
As a Ridley supporter, I have almost no trouble readjusting my perspective. As was ever the case, I absorb information and adjust my understanding of reality accordingly. A fairly convenient state of being, in certain ways.

So I suppose I'll consider Ridley an interactive Pyrosphere stage element a la Yellow Devil, with the ambiguity of his alluded presence taken as a potential fake-out for actual playable status (until confirmed otherwise).

Still, some pretty insidious shiznit. Provisional condolences to Ridley fans/supporters here and elsewhere.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'll be honest, I think the worst part about this is that the Too Bigots will flourish. They think it'll always be size that will have kept him out and continue to shove their opinions down the throats of others as though they are facts.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
F2A571_0D675620D69CE_000.gif

i can't believe that it happened AGAIN....and we only saw Ridley's shadow...and get another pokemon rep, like if we didn't have ENOUGH...

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Eventually, people are going to start defending Ridley's impending absence from the roster and saying Sakurai did what was right, and the roster is still 100% exempt from criticism because HOW DARE YOU not respect the team's work. I'm not going to bite against that yet, at least until K. Rool potentially follows suit, but that mentality grinds every gear in my body, and you guys oughtn't tolerate that sort of developer worship when it happens, either. There was every reason to add Ridley to the roster, and Sakurai's refusal to perfect what countless modders have done is just awful.

Last edited:

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
What I don't get is - Why didn't he show all of Ridley? He seemed to do that on purpose. Also, I slowed the video down and for a few frames there were wings. I did capture the wings on a image, here they are if any of you want them -

Also, if the worst is true. I'm sorry to you guys. One of the most dedicated fanbases out there.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
My condolences. I feel terrible for your loss, guys.

This was probably the first big disconfirmation to hit us, and it hurts.

Waluridleykryrool

Smash Journeyman
I find the fact that the "hazard" didn't actually attack anything, and that it made a near instant 360 degree turn as it was fading out, HIGHLY suspicious

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Bummer but have kinda been expecting it since we saw the pyrosphere. Kinda cruel of him to wait this long AND still not really come out and say for certain lol. I'm not gonna go as far to say he's 100% not playable yet though, as he does like to troll joke wit people sometimes. ZSS isn't coming back...JUST KIDDING! But man if this was a troll he'd sure be playing the long game with this one lol. Pretty much assuming he's 99% confirmed as not playable at this point.

A bummer but oh well, ZSS was the closest thing I had to a main in Brawl and her getting her own slot and a pretty sexy model that is based on but far superior to her other M one to boot makes me happy.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Guys, lets not try to revive the dead, he's probably deconfirmed at this point. I'd love to think there's more to it, but we have to accept it and find another way to support the character, whether it'd be for Project M or the next Smash bros.

Now, if you'll excuse me...

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
My thing is, the shadow looks A LOT smaller than Ridley in brawl.
It almost looks like a fair playable size, right?
Maybe Sakurai is just maximum trolling.

Speculator

Smash Ace
You've all known this day was coming since August last year. Sakurai doesn't have a personal vendetta against this support base, he doesn't enjoy seeing people upset and he isn't bad at making decisions. My last post in this thread was when the infamous first Pyrosphere image showed up on Miiverse. I said there was essentially no point denying that it wasn't a massive blow to Ridley's chances, if not a total deconfirmation. If you don't properly consider the evidence, and instead focus on dreaming up tiny details 'confirming' Ridley or inventing a 'toobigots' bogeyman, of course you were going to end up disappointed. It was inevitable.

When we're all here, waiting on character confirmations for Super Smash Bros. 5 for whatever system might be around at the time, I hope the Ridley supporters are a little more humble. I've bore witness to some unbelievable hubris over the past few months. It doesn't exactly nurture sympathy.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I will have a lot more to say on the situation later this week (big essay). Needless to say, this battle isn't over yet (its over for Smash 4, but for the dream of a playable Ridley in Smash Bros. our battle as fans has only just begun).

Keep in mind guys, I have wanted Ridley as a playable character in Smash Bros. longer than anyone else. I am now going on 15 years. Hahaha. Don't be disheartened, use your anger and sorrow as fuel for the real battle ahead. :)

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
dammit, i knew something in this direct would piss me off. I wont give up hope, but my god its getting harder and harder not to with every bit we learn.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Sakurai didn't give an absolute confirmation that Ridley's merely a stage hazard. Why not just do it quickly and rip it off like a band-aid Sakurai? Why draw it out? Why give us hope that you are just joking around like what you're doing with Palutena, who I'm now assuming is obviously in? Either tell us he's in or out, don't just show a shadow and use wording that you can think has a technicality.

It's either a huge douche move, or a total troll (could be both I suppose).

One thing I think someone should investigate, because this could distinguish possibly:

What level of detail is seen on the shadows of other stage hazards, Assist Trophies, Pokeball Pokemon and enemies?

That was a pretty detailed shadow...

Just a fool's hope, but Sakurai trolled so hard with Palutena that it's messing with me.

Last edited:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
No...No...Wait just a moment...this isn't making sense. Why was this held on to for 7 months? Why was he only hinted at? Why was everything so...lacking in detail? This doesn't make any sense, Sakurai isn't telling us something. It literally feels like we're missing something. Boss or not...I don't want to sound like I'm in denial but...this could possibly be a multiple roles character. That's my only explanation for this, we have another Tron Bonne on our hands.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
The team teased Ridley quite a bit in their latest video. They panned throughout several areas of Norfair, you heard Ridley's Super Metroid cry right before Samus appeared, and at the end of the video there was a Challenger Approaching silhouette of Ridley.

If it was all trolling, the joke is now on the team considering now people will have the expectations on them what Sakurai WONT.
Yeah. This is the team's chance. However, there was a 47 before the challenger approaching, and the max they could have is 46. But, I think that the team will have to do this at this point. With that video, and this direct killing our hopes, Ridley becomes a much bigger contender.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The fact that the only the shadow got shown, especially after all this time is what really confuses me.

I think he still has like a 1% chance of getting in at this point. Which would be the biggest troll in gaming history if he is, but I'd love Sakurai for it anyway.

I'm definitely not holding my breathe.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yeah. This is the team's chance. However, there was a 47 before the challenger approaching, and the max they could have is 46. But, I think that the team will have to do this at this point. With that video, and this direct killing our hopes, Ridley becomes a much bigger contender.
Ridley was the second most wanted newcomer for Project M, and the reason why he wasn't requested even higher was because lots of people were expecting him to show up in Smash 4.

Project M getting the single most wanted true newcomer for Smash 4 as part of their set of newcomers would be a huge coup on their part.

Top Bottom