• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Question: assuming that Ridley is a playable character, do you think he should be a starter or unlockable?

:phone:
I suppose I should've commented on this earlier, but I've always been kinda indifferent on whether he should be a starter or unlockable if he's playable, as both ways would make sense to me for their own reasons, but if it were to be the latter, I would personally like it to be through one of those event matches (like Ganondorf's unlocking in Melee) instead of being automatically unlocked at some point in a story mode like almost everyone was in Brawl. That's just me though.

Event match 187: Ridley has somewhere from 3 to 5 lives and you only have one life as Samus and begin with already having 300% damage done to you. Location is Norfair or someplace lava-ish, no items, and is set on very hard or whatever the ultimate difficulty is. :awesome:
j/k Wouldn't have the requirements be that mean.

Despite how likely we all think he is, I still feel he's far from "almost postively" in the game.
At this point, I don't consider anyone fitting in that category. It can go either way with plenty of characters.
That's not to say his chances are low, they're pretty damn high.
It's just that Sakurai could easily deem him "pretty impossible" again and not find effort to make him work to be worth it.
Agreed, anything's possible as far as that. As mentioned though, he didn't really seem to think about or acknowledge the possibility of Ridley being playable till it was too late (as far as Brawl), but since it was brought to his attention after the game (albeit briefly), maybe finding the effort to make Ridley work will just be a bit of an afterthought at worst, but still be done in the end.

Sorry for the double post, but I had to post this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO9kWEtC-hQ

Anyone who says Ridley can't work after seeing this is dumb. :bee:
(Yes, I'm aware he is a Charizard skin, but ignore that and focus on how he works at a noticeably larger size to the rest of the cast without being too cheap or too pathetic.)
Yeah, not bad when looking past the Charizard part. That reminds me, I believe I found a cool animation earlier of Ridley barely hovering above the ground during his "dash" animation (mod of course, though different looking from some of the others posted before), but can't seem to find it again now to post it. Oh well.

Ridley for Wreck-It Ralph! :troll:

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
I think he should always be floating and flapping his wings in his standing pose.
That would make him unique compared to most characters.

He'd be curled up in his stading pose, and wouldnt spread his wings while walking, rather just flap over to a spot.

That way he wouldnt appear TOO big. When he glides however, that's when his wings would extend and we see him at his biggest.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
For me, if Ridley is not playable in Smash 4, I won't be buying Smash 4. The only other true newcomer I have a strong interest in being added is Mega Man. Other than that, I want to see Mewtwo and Roy return. Lack of characters left to be added that I have a major interest in is a big reason why I anticipating Smash 4 less than I did Brawl, Melee, or even Smash 64 for that matter.

Omega-Smasher

Smash Cadet
Different here. Like the ideas now, but the only thing I don't like is the Final Smash. It would be better if Ridley transformed into Omega Ridley & grow into his original size in the Metroid games, as well as being twice as powerful & completely invincible for just 12 seconds. I'm not forcing you to adopt this idea, it's your choice & you're free to make it.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Ridley for Wreck-It Ralph! :troll:
That would be perfect if Wreck It Ralph were to get a sequel based on classic concoles.

I agree. Any one who says that he's “too big” either never played the classic Metrod games, paid attention to the Melee opening, or even acknowledged what happened to certain characters like Bowser, all Kirby characters, any playable Pokemon, Ganondorf, or Olimar in terms of size. -_-

D

Deleted member

That giant exploding fireball from Other M would be very cool as a Final Smash.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Sorry for the double post, but I had to post this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO9kWEtC-hQ

Anyone who says Ridley can't work after seeing this is dumb. :bee:
(Yes, I'm aware he is a Charizard skin, but ignore that and focus on how he works at a noticeably larger size to the rest of the cast without being too cheap or too pathetic.)
I think that link just sealed the deal for me.

:phone:

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
That giant exploding fireball from Other M would be very cool as a Final Smash.
Sounds generic. I think he could have something better than a big ball of fire.

Here's hoping Ridley has something like his Brawl/Super/Zero Mission design instead of something like the gross Other M design. He has the Super design in Melee and Brawl, so hopefully he'll look the same.

D

Deleted member

More than half of Brawl's Final Smashes are generic. And that's not counting the cloned ones.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think we could do better than a giant fireball. However, a good presentation can make anything "generic" seem "epic." Link's Final Smash, for example, is super generic, but the camera shot and power up feels freaking epic as heck. The same goes for Samus' Final Smash (although I think there should be loud explosions throughout, to give it a DBZ-esk "super hyper duper transformation explosion" feel), Mario's Final Smash, and other "super blast" Final Smash attacks.

Also, if Ridley has a Super Transformation Final Smash, it should definitely be Omega Ridley.

Lastly, if you don't want Ridley in Smash Bros, then either you don't know Ridley, you don't know Ridley, or you want Smash Bros to suck. I refuse to believe anyone who enjoys smash bros would not want Ridley in the freaking game! Ridley's rivalry with Samus is unmatched amongst Nintendo characters. He actually killed her parents! All Bowser and Ganondorf did was steal Mario's/Link's woman (neither of them ain't giving him jack, and doesn't help him pay for crap; Mario's still a poor plumber, and Link always runs away after the ending of his games!) and take over their respective countries for a little while. That is nothing compared to killing your parents, and being a part of the largest criminal/terrorist organization in the galaxy.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
i can definitely see omega ridley being the final smash. maybe meta ridley but i can see that just being a texture or thats what happens when you hit the metal box. idk much about ridley except that hes cool haha. i really hope they put him in. the size is no issue since they resize everyone in these games. bowser in sunshine was huge and olimar is actually like 4 cm tall right?

D

Deleted member

It's not just a "giant fireball" though.
He rises up, shoots it at the ground, and it expands to enormous proportions to do massive damage. Since you're using DBZ as a reference, think of it as a firey version of Frieza's Death Ball.

A super transformation is uninspired and lame. We already got Giga Bowser for that, and that at least makes sense, as it's, you know, an actual super form.
Meta Ridley is just Ridley after mechanical enhancements were made after he was nearly killed to keep him alive. It'd be like if we had Frieza (sorry to keep bringing him up) transform into Mecha Frieza for a ultimate technique.
Omega Ridley is just a step up from that since Meta Ridley absorbed Phazon to transform further (and again, to keep himself alive).

If say, Meta Ridley was the playable one, THEN Omega Ridley would make sense as a Final Smash, given that even if he wasn't dying, he could just absorb Phazon to transform, but going from organic Ridley to cyborg Phazon Omega Ridley? No logic in that.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It's not just a "giant fireball" though.
He rises up, shoots it at the ground, and it expands to enormous proportions to do massive damage. Since you're using DBZ as a reference, think of it as a firey version of Frieza's Death Ball.
That's one nice way of putting it, but I also liked Other Ridley's fireball in how it gave me a Galaxy Bowser sort of vibe, far as both the size and epicness of the attack. So I certainly wouldn't mind it being a final smash, though I'm sure there are better ideas Ridley could have, but I'm not picky about that sort of thing.

Your comments on Frieza also just reminded me to still get the Budokai HD collection at some point, so thanks. And now that I think about it again, lol @ there being both a Meta Cooler and Meta Ridley.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What if his super move was making lava rise up on the field and becoming temporarily invincible

The lava could act like the usual stage hazard lava and enemies take damage and bounce on it

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
That'd be very cool, but it would be really weird on the Brinstar stage.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Why no love for Mother Brain anyway?

Sh... She... It would be the ****ing creepiest character in a fighting game EVER.
And I think Metroid deserves three slots.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Why no love for Mother Brain anyway?

Sh... She... It would be the ****ing creepiest character in a fighting game EVER.
And I think Metroid deserves three slots.
Eew, Mother Brain looks pregnant in that...which reminds me of that BitF strip.

And yes, Metroid deserves 3 spots, but outside of Samus & Ridley there aren't a whole lot of characters that are universally seen as deserving to get in.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Eew, Mother Brain looks pregnant in that...which reminds me of that BitF strip.

And yes, Metroid deserves 3 spots, but outside of Samus & Ridley there aren't a whole lot of characters that are universally seen as deserving to get in.
She's lovely, isn't she? Anyway, after Ridley (and Samus duh), I think Mother Brain is the most important character in the franchise.

Also, she's incredible. I mean look at her... I love her.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Vintage, you taste in women is kinda disturbing. I mean I love abominations as much as the next guy, but pregnant brain dinosaur is a bit of a turn off for me.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Come now, Habanero, isn't she pretty? Admit it, she is hotter than Samus every day. :troll:

Could be an alternative for Ridley, but I must say that Ridley is more recognizable throughout the series.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Vintage, you taste in women is kinda disturbing. I mean I love abominations as much as the next guy, but pregnant brain dinosaur is a bit of a turn off for me.
Well, he is a Creep after all. :troll:

Anyway, on Mother Brain, saying she's "the most important character in the seires after RidleySamus" is like saying "Vaati is the second most recurring villain in the Zelda series after Ganondorf." It's technically true, but it ignores the fact that there's a huge gap in importance between the people being compared.

To clarify, Mother Brain has appeared as an antagonist in 3 games, not counting remakes. Ridley has appeared in around double that amount. I think it's safe to say that Ridley(and Samus, natch) are far more important to the seires than Mother Brain is.

@Frostwraith
You had better be making an awful pun/joke.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

Anyway, on Mother Brain, saying she's "the most important character in the seires after RidleySamus" is like saying "Vaati is the second most recurring villain in the Zelda series after Ganondorf." It's technically true, but it ignores the fact that there's a huge gap in importance between the people being compared.

To clarify, Mother Brain has appeared as an antagonist in 3 games, not counting remakes. Ridley has appeared in around double that amount. I think it's safe to say that Ridley(and Samus, natch) are far more important to the seires than Mother Brain is.

@Frostwraith
First part: I do agree with your statement. Mother Brain is important but Samus and Ridley are much more. The Vaati example is a good analogy.

Part directed at me: couldn't resist the temptation of making the joke, lame or not. :troll:

D

Deleted member

Unlike Ridley, I'm pretty sure Mother Brain *is* too big.
I mean, Ridley has been small before; Mother Brain has not.

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
This got me wondering about who could fit as a third Metroid character, if there had to be one. It's crazy, there really isn't anyone that deserves the spot even half as much. I'd like to see Dark Samus, but I doubt that would ever happen. I think a lot of people would be annoyed with the inclusion of Adam, so I doubt that would happen, and Kraid is already in a stage. Plus besides in Metroid 1 he's huge. Any other ideas?

D

Deleted member

"3rd" character? Ridley.
Metroid already has 2, Samus and Zero Suit Samus. They are counted seperate despite being a part of each other.

Now, you probably mean a 4th, assuming Ridley is counted. Not really much to work with that is deserving enough AND viable. Best just leave it as Samus/ZSS and Ridley unless future Metroid titles make certain characters like Sylux (hates the Galactic Federation, and since they could be against Samus now due to the events of Fusion, he could either be a new ally to her or still think of her as an enemy, just one that shares a common enemy), Weavel (Space Pirate bounty hunter with a grude against Samus due to nearly killing him in a fight, resulting in him having to be cybernetically enhanced), or Anthony (only one of Samus' allies to not die) recurring, or if Dark Samus comes back.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
You sure she's pregnant?

Come now, Habanero, isn't she pretty? Admit it, she is hotter than Samus every day. :troll:

Could be an alternative for Ridley, but I must say that Ridley is more recognizable throughout the series.
Obviously Ridley is more recognizable, but who cares really. I like some obscure characters. And she's HOT creepy, something this roster lacks in my opinion.

@Frostwraith
Yeah well you're right, but it's boring to have only really famous characters imo.

D

Deleted member

Which is why you bring characters from obscure titles instead of obscure characters in place of non-obscure ones in a non-obscure series.

Want a rather large dinosaur like thing that's obscure, yet doesn't take the place of someone who isn't? Why not T-Rex from Fossil Fighters?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I'm not asking for Mother Brain instead of Ridley, I want Mother Brain AND Ridley.
I don't really see any kind of problem here.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
First off, Mother Brain has zero chance of happening. Besides, talk of Mother Brain being playable belongs in a Mother Brain thread.

Also guys, I found my reaction to if WHEN Ridley is confirmed in Super Smash Bros. WiiU and/or Super Smash Bros. 3DS!

:shades:
So would size not be an issue?
To quote Yoda, "Size matter not. Back kitchen in the."

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Oh Ridley, how I love thee.

And I'll say, even though I'm late to this thread, it's great to see it...y'know, exist. For all the new people, the Ridley thread for Brawl got closed for...reasons. Many reasons, and no Ridley threads were allowed.

Don't let that happen! Ridley! Woo yeah!

Also, I REALLY love the moveset on page one.

Top Bottom