• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace

Meta Ridley has a weird chestplate, Omega Ridley has strange blue skin, and the normal Ridley as a neck as thick as a toothpick. And all of them look better than the beefy Other M design.

Noble Six

Smash Rookie
Ridley's size would definitely be an issue, I feel ilke he should just stay as a boss character. But on the other hand, Rundus from Prime 3 would be a pretty cool addition. His theme is epic also.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Ridley's size would definitely be an issue, I feel ilke he should just stay as a boss character. But on the other hand, Rundus from Prime 3 would be a pretty cool addition. His theme is epic also.
Oh not the size thing again, there is no size argument, He is not too big. If a mediocre hacker can replace Charizard with Ridley, i am sure that the developer of the game can do it.

But i do think Rundas would be awesome, same with Sylux.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Size used to be an issue for me, but really think about it. Bowser has been resized many times, like how he was gargantuan in Mario Sunshine. And Ridley himself has been resized within the Metroid series, at one point being almost Samus's size. Once you get past that, then Ridley will become a good choice to you as he did to me

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Not a fan of Metroid, I see...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I still personally think that they should just slightly alter the initial design of Ridley (the first picture of 3 from above) and he would look fine. Maybe give him palette swaps so that he looks like the other two even

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
I can't take this seriously, as it sounds an awful lot like the people that say Brawl sucks and that if Nintendo had any sense they wouldn't let Sakurai touch Smash Bros. again.
Brawl was only a small dip in overall quality, but Sakamoto basically put Metroid on life support. He's a terrible writer and ruined Samus as a character, along with being responsible for the awkward wiimote only gameplay.

Giantbreadbug said:
But Sakamoto did a fine job with Other M, objectively.
How is that remotely objective?

D

Deleted member

I fail to see how making Samus more like she is in the manga "ruined" her.
Unless we're not talking about the PTSD thing with Ridley, the main complaint I hear about. In which case, I agree that having her have to be authorized to do something that'd be common sense in a situation was pretty damn stupid.
Perfectly parodied here: http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com/2010/09/02/268-authorization/
As for her having a personality for once, it's the fans' faults for having this high standard that Samus is some stoic, silent, cold-hearted badass like that of the generic FPS characters. Just because the games didn't really apply much to her character, it doesn't mean that what fans come up with is absolute fact.
And no, just because she was somewhat portrayed in that fashion in Brawl doesn't apply, as Brawl turned Marth into an attention seeker and made Ike all about friendship and being unsympathetic (when he's the exact opposite of that).

And "awkward" controls is rather subjective in itself, as there are people that would say otherwise, and it's similar to the issue on Kid Icarus Uprising's controls; some find them acceptable, others find it unbearable.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
How is that remotely objective?
Perhaps objective wasn't the word. Maybe I meant that anyone who isn't a whiny baby whose opinions are as fragile as a herniated old man could find Other M enjoyable.

And tee hee to imply that Brawl was a "dip in quality" and that Sakamoto ruined Metroid. I'm sorry you didn't love it, really I am.

@Golden Your words heal my tired ears with their truthiness.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Enjoy your crybaby samus and ugly ridley.

It had a horrible story. And the fact you have to go through a lava area without enabling the varia armor - which samus HAS at the time - just because a man doesn't tell her to...

WTF did she not enable the Varia armor, and WTF did he not tell her to enable it. He probably didn't tell her because he didn't think she was dumb enough not to figure it out on her own.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Samus needing to have things authorized is dumb.

Samus having emotions like a person (also like the manga, a very reputed source of Metroid story business) is not dumb.

Also Ridley actually looks like a monster in Other M.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I was also stating that Other M came after Brawl, so sorry for the confusion. I didn't mean for it to sound like I was saying Prime 3 came out after Brawl (even though it did in Japan).
Yeah, it's cool. I know what you meant.

That would be vile. Hopefully Other M will be overlooked on account of its reception.
If it is then I think Ridley might have less chance of being playable, and then Sakurai may just do the same thing with him in SSB4 as what he did in Brawl, except maybe having the Omega Ridley form as a boss as well.

Just my opinion.

There is a reason there hasn't been anything for Metroid's 25th birthday.
The fans pretty much brought that on themselves though.

I wonder what he'd do if you just looked him in the face and said "You're no Miyamoto." And walked away.

Oh, what about something like "the only -moto people will remember is Miyamoto. Do you know why. BECAUSE HE KNOWS HOW TO MAKE A GOOD GAME."
Implying Super Metroid, Fusion, Zero Mission, etc. (which Sakamoto made) aren't good games? *starts cracking knuckles* :p

Meta Ridley has a weird chestplate, Omega Ridley has strange blue skin, and the normal Ridley as a neck as thick as a toothpick. And all of them look better than the beefy Other M design.
Aside from being Meta-Ridley's weak spot (in the 1st Prime at least), I think the circle thing on his chest was what he fired his missiles out of, and Omega having the blue skin was obviously from Phazon. As for the last part that's your opinion. Some parts of Other M Ridley such as the wings I like better than most other versions of the character.

D

Deleted member

Implying Super Metroid, Fusion, Zero Mission, etc. (which Sakamoto made) aren't good games? *starts cracking knuckles* :p
Yeah, it's things like this that really piss me off; when people hate on developers for one game that isn't on the same level as the others in the series, despite that same developer making games that are.

Forget that Sakamoto made Super Metroid, Fusion, and Zero Mission, he "absolutely botched" Other M so he obviously does not know how to make a game.

It's the "Sakurai is a bad developer because Brawl sucks" crap all over again...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I've gotta play a Metroid title sometime soon. Perhaps Super Metroid on VC. I hear it's good, and has a good Ridley fight.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Why not refer to my size comparison images that I posted a couple pages back.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=14678337&postcount=163
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=14681564&postcount=180
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=14681634&postcount=182

D

Deleted member

Just as a curiosity, are you able to port Other M's model so we can compare Boss Ridley to Other M Ridley in terms of size?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Just as a curiosity, are you able to port Other M's model so we can compare Boss Ridley to Other M Ridley in terms of size?
Brawl and Other M use the same model format, so it's possible. However, I don't own Other M, and even if I did, I've heard that the ISO contents are quite messy.

Also, you must keep note that certain models may look bigger or smaller than the size default that Brawl uses; for example, the Mario Kart Wii models are very big, while the Kirby's Return to Dream Land models are very small.

D

Deleted member

Ah, I see.

Then I guess a better comparison would be Brawl Samus to Brawl Ridley vs. Other M Samus to Other M Ridley.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Brawl and Other M use the same model format, so it's possible. However, I don't own Other M, and even if I did, I've heard that the ISO contents are quite messy.

Also, you must keep note that certain models may look bigger or smaller than the size default that Brawl uses; for example, the Mario Kart Wii models are very big, while the Kirby's Return to Dream Land models are very small.
In that case, you could use the Samus model of Other M and size it down to Brawl's Samus's size to... get your bearings? Set a standard? Oh, but you'd have to resize both Other M Samus and Ridley at the same time.

BY THE WAY, I finally added a couple of your size comparison things to the first post.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
In that case, you could use the Samus model of Other M and size it down to Brawl's Samus's size to... get your bearings? Set a standard? Oh, but you'd have to resize both Other M Samus and Ridley at the same time.

BY THE WAY, I finally added a couple of your size comparison things to the first post.
Again, I don't have Other M, so that's something that I won't be able to accomplish.

Also, thank you for inputting my size comparison images onto the primary post. I know that my Ridley size perspective (not counting the wing span) may not be as big as how you envisioned him, but I was merely trying to get Ridley to be around the size that he was in his Melee cameo.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Hm? No, your size is pretty much what I see. Once I had only mentioned that I wish I could change his pose, which was just a trivial thing.

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps objective wasn't the word. Maybe I meant that anyone who isn't a whiny baby whose opinions are as fragile as a herniated old man could find Other M enjoyable.

And tee hee to imply that Brawl was a "dip in quality" and that Sakamoto ruined Metroid. I'm sorry you didn't love it, really I am.
I would say that Brawl was a dip in quality after Melee. The roster is unbalanced, everything is slower and floatier, there's random tripping, and there was a loss of focus with Subspace Emissary, which wasn't worth playing more than once.

And Other M was a bad Metroid game even without its excess of cutscenes and terrible story. The wiimote-only gameplay (which Sakamoto insisted upon) and awkward transition to 3D just to use missiles along with the extreme linearity and locking doors. As some have pointed out, Sakamoto had a role in making Super, Fusion and Zero Mission, but thankfully there wasn't much story there. Except for Fusion, but that was pretty bare-bones.

Samus needing to have things authorized is dumb.

Samus having emotions like a person (also like the manga, a very reputed source of Metroid story business) is not dumb.

Also Ridley actually looks like a monster in Other M.
Having emotions doesn't mean she needs to be an overly submissive emotionally fragile wreck with maternal feelings for an alien parasite. And the manga is bad, but at least has the excuse that Samus is still really young. Then after fighting Ridley half a dozen times she has an emotional breakdown.

And Ridley looks like a duck in Other M. A beefy, spiky duck.

D

Deleted member

Having emotions doesn't mean she needs to be an overly submissive emotionally fragile wreck with maternal feelings for an alien parasite. And the manga is bad, but at least has the excuse that Samus is still really young. Then after fighting Ridley half a dozen times she has an emotional breakdown.
Super Metroid had those feelings too.
And logically, if an infant creature took to you as a maternal or paternal unit, even going as far as giving it's own life to save yours, would you not have those maternal/paternal feelings for it? If not, you'd have to be pretty damn cold-hearted.

And you don't understand how PTSD works. One does not simply "get over it" after experiencing the fear so many times. War Veterans can and will freak out if they hear sounds or see sights that remind them of the war. Especially if those memories were downright disturbing. Same issue here. In Other M, she attributed Ridley's unexpected appearance to her memories of him killing her mother and father.
And by this time, Ridley was presumed to be dead for good at the end of Super Metroid. (Primes take place prior to Super Metroid). So think of it this way, if the murderer of your family appears right before you again after his apparent death, would you not freak out either? Worse if you have PTSD and his murdering of your family was the trigger.

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
Super Metroid had those feelings too.
And logically, if an infant creature took to you as a maternal or paternal unit, even going as far as giving it's own life to save yours, would you not have those maternal/paternal feelings for it? If not, you'd have to be pretty damn cold-hearted.
But she is downright heartbroken over it. Sure, she should be grateful for it saving her life, as she says in Fusion, but referring to it exclusively as "The Baby" and her deep sadness over its death is weird.

And you don't understand how PTSD works. One does not simply "get over it" after experiencing the fear so many times. War Veterans can and will freak out if they hear sounds or see sights that remind them of the war. Especially if those memories were downright disturbing. Same issue here. In Other M, she attributed Ridley's unexpected appearance to her memories of him killing her mother and father.
And by this time, Ridley was presumed to be dead for good at the end of Super Metroid. (Primes take place prior to Super Metroid). So think of it this way, if the murderer of your family appears right before you again after his apparent death, would you not freak out either? Worse if you have PTSD and his murdering of your family was the trigger.
In the manga she gets over her crippling fear of Ridley and leaves him for dead. She would think him to be dead after most of the times she fought him. In the manga she leaves him for dead in Norfair and then the pirate base explodes. She should've thought him to be dead again when (as Omega Ridley) he seems to explode like the other Leviathan guardians. And then she thought him dead again in Super after destroying Zebes. But then, after apparently cheating death for at least the third time and after defeating him several times over she has a mental breakdown and is paralyzed with fear. And she should've expected Ridley to be there, considering a bunch of her previous foes have been cloned on the bottle ship and she's attacked by a purple lizard that shed its skin before with Ridley's face and tail, and then sees that is shed its skin again.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
In the manga she gets over her crippling fear of Ridley and leaves him for dead. She would think him to be dead after most of the times she fought him. In the manga she leaves him for dead in Norfair and then the pirate base explodes. She should've thought him to be dead again when (as Omega Ridley) he seems to explode like the other Leviathan guardians. And then she thought him dead again in Super after destroying Zebes. But then, after apparently cheating death for at least the third time and after defeating him several times over she has a mental breakdown and is paralyzed with fear. And she should've expected Ridley to be there, considering a bunch of her previous foes have been cloned on the bottle ship and she's attacked by a purple lizard that shed its skin before with Ridley's face and tail, and then sees that is shed its skin again.
All her old enemies are there, the supposedly dead metroids are there, even a half copy of Mother Brain is there, and she is suprised that the Harry Houdini equalivent of all bosses is still alive? He has died like 12 times, and come back to attack again, so when he comes back again she is suprised?
If she had a twitter, all her posts would be, "Just killed Ridley again".
So even though the game sucked, all of the other Sakamoto games were good. And i hope they make a fusion sequel.

D

Deleted member

In the manga, Ridley triggers anger from her by making remarks that he ate her dead parent's bodies.
Likewise, in Other M, he triggers anger which makes her snap out of her PTSD when she though he killed Anthony.

As we see in Zero Mission, Samus has a shocked expression when Ridley appears, so that cancels out the "left for dead" thing from the manga, as she visibly shows expression of fear.
However, nothing came out from her PTSD likely because it didn't happen in the original Metroid, which Zero Mission is a remake of, and because having her randomly do that in a game with limited cutscenes would be awkward.
Then there's Meta Ridley, which was after she "left him for dead" in Zero Mission. When we first encounter him, Samus freezes up while aiming her cannon at him. Why doesn't she just shoot him? Because she freezes up, this allows Ridley to escape.
Although, why she has no problem later, probably because she was upset with herself for letting him escape in the first place, and actually goes after him to try to finish him.
After his defeat in the game, Samus actually looks to see if Ridley did in fact, die. With no sign of him, it was likely to assume that he was still alive and would cross paths with her again.
This happened in Prime 3, where he repeatedly tried to kill her while she was trying to reach the final generator on Norion while in Morph Ball form. Then shortly after, tries to attack her head on. Samus, rather than freezing up actually tried shooting at him a few times, most attributed to a "this ends now" mindset. This is supported by her finishing move by shooting down his throat.
Then came Omega Ridley. Samus doesn't freeze up here, but we do tell she's afraid, as she was trying to stay away from him until she noticed the weakspot. As for his "death" here, I'm not sure that it's safe to say he died. We don't actually see him being disintegrated, only him wrapping his wings around himself and sinking to the ground. It could very well be that the Phazon exploded out of him and left him in a weakened organic state for the Space Pirates to revive.
This is further supported by Super Metroid, as he comes back in a fully organic body. Also, being that the game was made prior to the backstory of him killing Samus' parents was released (the e-manga came alongside Zero Mission), there is no sense of fear within Samus. In this case, though, actually being on a planet when it explodes makes it unlikely to survive. Other M actually confirms the explosion on Zebes was Ridley's first true death.

Which brings us back to Other M. While before, Ridley was only "left for dead" and it turned out that he survived through some means, prior to Other M, Ridley was deader than a doornail. So to see Ridley come out of nowhere after he was supposed to have been dead for good is logical for her to react the way she did.
And no, she couldn't have just assumed Ridley had been cloned, as no one even knew he WAS until it was too late. No one knew some of Ridley's DNA was on Samus' armor alongside the Metroid DNA from the dead Baby.
As for Ridley's face and tail, Ridley has gone a number of faces and tails, so to assume that one creature that happens to bear a similar appearance to Ridley is actually Ridley is just a blind shot in the dark. And being purple doesn't matter, as Ridley changes colors as well. In fact, with the original Metroid being non-canon with Zero Mission taking over, Ridley had never been purple prior to Other M. With the exception of Meta Ridley, but that purple is hard to tell, and may only be in Brawl.

@JohnMaster: Except the Metroids were specifically cloned from the Baby Metroid's DNA from Samus' suit. As for Mother Brain, it was her A.I., not her herself that was brought in. A.I. is easily duplicated, but sadly, that A.I. took in some of her corruptions as well.
Ridley was unintentionally cloned as some of his DNA was on Samus' suit alongside the Metroid DNA.
Also, Ridley has only died once. And that was Super Metroid, which was right before Other M in chronology. He didn't die "like 12 times". If you want to get technical, he died twice; the second being his clone from Other M being killed by the Queen Metroid.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Sakurai needs to see those size comparisons. That is absolutely perfect.

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
In the manga, Ridley triggers anger from her by making remarks that he ate her dead parent's bodies.
And later in the manga she gets over her fear and all but kills him in anger.

Likewise, in Other M, he triggers anger which makes her snap out of her PTSD when she though he killed Anthony.
But the mere sight of him made her paralyzed in fear until that point, which is really stupid.

As we see in Zero Mission, Samus has a shocked expression when Ridley appears,

That doesn't look shocked to me.

so that cancels out the "left for dead" thing from the manga, as she visibly shows expression of fear.
How does that cancel it out? And she would still think him dead, not familiar with his cheating death.

However, nothing came out from her PTSD likely because it didn't happen in the original Metroid, which Zero Mission is a remake of, and because having her randomly do that in a game with limited cutscenes would be awkward.
Zero Mission took a lot of liberties with the first Metroid, and it did have its fair share of cutscenes compared to Super.

Then there's Meta Ridley, which was after she "left him for dead" in Zero Mission. When we first encounter him, Samus freezes up while aiming her cannon at him. Why doesn't she just shoot him? Because she freezes up, this allows Ridley to escape.
Or she enters the room, sees Meta Ridley, expects him to attack, but he instead escapes, and then she makes the "darn it" gesture with her arm. There was no indication of fear when you see her face.

Although, why she has no problem later, probably because she was upset with herself for letting him escape in the first place, and actually goes after him to try to finish him.
After his defeat in the game, Samus actually looks to see if Ridley did in fact, die. With no sign of him, it was likely to assume that he was still alive and would cross paths with her again.
Fair enough.

This happened in Prime 3, where he repeatedly tried to kill her while she was trying to reach the final generator on Norion while in Morph Ball form. Then shortly after, tries to attack her head on. Samus, rather than freezing up actually tried shooting at him a few times, most attributed to a "this ends now" mindset. This is supported by her finishing move by shooting down his throat.
There's nothing special about the Prime 3 fight with Meta Ridley. Shooting in his mouth seemed like a cinematic finisher and a reference to his mouth being his weak point.

Then came Omega Ridley. Samus doesn't freeze up here, but we do tell she's afraid, as she was trying to stay away from him until she noticed the weakspot.
That hardly proves her to be afraid.

As for his "death" here, I'm not sure that it's safe to say he died. We don't actually see him being disintegrated, only him wrapping his wings around himself and sinking to the ground. It could very well be that the Phazon exploded out of him and left him in a weakened organic state for the Space Pirates to revive.
Considering the fate of the other Leviathan guardians and the implication he is doing the same thing Samus could have thought him dead.

This is further supported by Super Metroid, as he comes back in a fully organic body. Also, being that the game was made prior to the backstory of him killing Samus' parents was released (the e-manga came alongside Zero Mission), there is no sense of fear within Samus. In this case, though, actually being on a planet when it explodes makes it unlikely to survive. Other M actually confirms the explosion on Zebes was Ridley's first true death.
The space pirates raiding K-2L was established in Super Metroid tie-in material. But I think those are non-canon now, but you get the idea.

Which brings us back to Other M. While before, Ridley was only "left for dead" and it turned out that he survived through some means, prior to Other M, Ridley was deader than a doornail. So to see Ridley come out of nowhere after he was supposed to have been dead for good is logical for her to react the way she did.
She already thought him dead several times over, fought him several times and won, and knew that there were a load of her enemies on the bottle ship. So no, it is not logical.

And no, she couldn't have just assumed Ridley had been cloned, as no one even knew he WAS until it was too late.
They couldn't because they didn't? Other M was poorly written. It shouldn't have been that surprising.

No one knew some of Ridley's DNA was on Samus' armor alongside the Metroid DNA from the dead Baby.
It wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination.

As for Ridley's face and tail, Ridley has gone a number of faces and tails, so to assume that one creature that happens to bear a similar appearance to Ridley is actually Ridley is just a blind shot in the dark. And being purple doesn't matter, as Ridley changes colors as well. In fact, with the original Metroid being non-canon with Zero Mission taking over, Ridley had never been purple prior to Other M. With the exception of Meta Ridley, but that purple is hard to tell, and may only be in Brawl.
The Other M commercial with the flashback has Ridley looking just the same. artistic license and all that. The purple lizard looked like Ridley and had Ridley's exact tail, and then she sees it had shed its skin again.

Zero Mission had him grey, but he was purple under the mechanical bits as Meta Ridley (which Brawl made a brighter purple), he had purple under his armor as Omega Ridley, he was a dull purple in Super Metroid, and the Other M commercial with Ridley and child Samus has him look purple (and just like his ugly Other M self).

D

Deleted member

How do you KNOW she thought he was dead several times over?
And also, how do you KNOW she was expecting him to attack in Prime 1?

But whatever, seems I'm going to get anywhere with this. You seem to be too clouded with hatred over Other M to listen to reason.
Also, as I said before, one does not simply "get over" PTSD. Perhaps temporarily, but it will always come back to bite you in the *** later on. No matter HOW MANY times you have to deal with what causes it in the first place.
http://www.vgchartz.com/article/81909/ptsd-or-weakness-real-experts-on-why-samus-didnt-shoot/

EDIT: Also also, just because Samus encountered enemies from other planets on the Bottle Ship doesn't make it logical to see Ridley. Those creatures were contained from those planets for study. Ridley was cloned from samples of his DNA from Samus' suit unintentionally. It's like saying she should've expected Dark Samus to appear as well, given that there's a load of enemies, and Dark Samus/Metroid Prime has come back quite a few times, and could just as easily still be around as we don't know if it's dead or not or if she is dead, that there's still traces of Phazon on her suit could recreate Dark Samus as Ridley was.

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
How do you KNOW she thought he was dead several times over?
He appears to die several times.

And also, how do you KNOW she was expecting him to attack in Prime 1?
A never said I knew, but you asserted she froze up in fear. She doesn't have a fearful expression and if anything seems angry.

But whatever, seems I'm going to get anywhere with this. You seem to be too clouded with hatred over Other M to listen to reason.
Reason? Other M contradicts the other Metroid games and is an all around poorly written game.

Also, as I said before, one does not simply "get over" PTSD. Perhaps temporarily, but it will always come back to bite you in the *** later on. No matter HOW MANY times you have to deal with what causes it in the first place.
http://www.vgchartz.com/article/81909/ptsd-or-weakness-real-experts-on-why-samus-didnt-shoot/
The article writer states that Samus fought Ridley twice and thought him dead once before the events of Other M. That is incorrect. She had fought Ridley at least 6 times beforehand and beat him on every occasion. Her constantly facing the source of her PTSD dollowed by the complete u-turn from her usual response is jarring.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
not that i have played Other M or follow the manga, but at that point in the storyline, Samus had fought Ridley only a few times right? and i would think that the PTSD would keep her in fear at even the thought of a giant purple monster that killed her parents.

Anyway, my only concern with Ridley in smash bros (because size has been shown irrelevant) is his movement. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyvWCMZ4s60

in that video, it seems to me that he takes up a good portion of Final Destination when he moves. Hopefully there would be a way to change his dash animation. not that it really matters to me, i'd love him in the game regardless. what do you guys think?

EDIT: take what i say with a grain of salt as far as metroid goes. i dont really know where Other M takes place throughout the games and such, whether its after the Prime series or whatever

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
not that i have played Other M or follow the manga, but at that point in the storyline, Samus had fought Ridley only a few times right? and i would think that the PTSD would keep her in fear at even the thought of a giant purple monster that killed her parents.

Anyway, my only concern with Ridley in smash bros (because size has been shown irrelevant) is his movement. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyvWCMZ4s60

in that video, it seems to me that he takes up a good portion of Final Destination when he moves. Hopefully there would be a way to change his dash animation. not that it really matters to me, i'd love him in the game regardless. what do you guys think?

EDIT: take what i say with a grain of salt as far as metroid goes. i dont really know where Other M takes place throughout the games and such, whether its after the Prime series or whatever
I thought Ridley's head was a bit too big for his body in Brawl. His dash could be a fast crawl on all fours with his tail tucked back to decrease his length. He doesn't have to have Charizard's dash.

And Other M is after every other Metroid with the exception of Fusion.

D

Deleted member

He appears to die several times.
Doesn't mean anything. Not everything is as it appears. Paying attention to the manga, Ridley states that he eats dead carcasses to heal himself.
So even in "apparent death", you still have to factor in as long as there are dead bodies to eat, Ridley will come back.
It's simple logic really.
Manga to Zero Mission: Eats dead carcasses to heal.
Zero Mission to Prime: Eats as much as he can to survive, then is mechanically enhanced by the Space Pirates.
Prime to Prime 3: Phazon influence.
Prime 3 to Super Metroid: Stripped from mechanical enhancements when Phazon was forced out of him. Eats dead carcasses to heal.
Post Super Metroid: Dead. Body was completely destroyed in Zebes' explosion.
Other M: Cloned unintentionally from DNA found on Samus' armor. Killed by Queen Metroid feasting on his fluids.
Fusion: Carcass of cloned Ridley is absorbed by an X-Parasite, turning said parasite into Neo Ridley. Parasite is destroyed by Samus.

A never said I knew, but you asserted she froze up in fear. She doesn't have a fearful expression and if anything seems angry.
Ah, but I didn't. I merely said she froze up and I questioned it.
You must be confusing that with what I said about Zero Mission.
We're talking about Prime 1 here, you know. It's what you quoted me talking about.

Reason? Other M contradicts the other Metroid games and is an all around poorly written game.
Poorly written, I agree with. However, I fail to see any contradictions other than "Oh, but Samus fought Ridley hundreds of times before, she shouldn't be afraid of him now", which is perfectly reasonable given that while Samus has defeated Ridley, she had failed to kill him until Super Metroid, where the destruction of Zebes ended him for real.
Follow the finally killing him part to him all of a sudden coming back out of nowhere with an (at the time of his appearance) unexplained reason.
Top that off with having PTSD, as well as the very creature that came back out of nowhere happens to be the one that killed your family while you were still a child.
Yeah, logic is there, whether you choose to accept it or not.

The article writer states that Samus fought Ridley twice and thought him dead once before the events of Other M. That is incorrect. She had fought Ridley at least 6 times beforehand and beat him on every occasion. Her constantly facing the source of her PTSD dollowed by the complete u-turn from her usual response is jarring.
Not if you factor in the points I have said above.

If you must need more logic, think of it this way; she has more control over her PTSD prior to Other M, because she's well aware that Ridley is either out there or is still possibly out there given what he has said. She won't have closure until she knows he's dead.
Then, he's dead. Samus no longer has to worry about seeing Ridley again, and all's fair in the world concerning that issue. Ridley is out of her mind.
But wait, here he is out of nowhere. But...it's impossible to survive a planetary explosion after being heavily weakened in combat! HOW IS HE STILL ALIVE? WHY WON'T HE DIE?! Memories of what Ridley did resurface from the back of her mind, as well as the thought that no matter what she does, she can never be rid of him.
THAT'S what makes her reaction beleiveable. Underneath that armor, Samus is still human.

It's like what the man that saw people burned alive said in that article I posted. Barbecue reminds him of that instance, and while he still barbecues time to time, it's not as enjoyable as it once was. More than likely, if he saw something worse, like someone on fire, it would cause a bigger reaction like that of Other M Samus.
In which case, the man cooking barbecue is similar to Samus fighting Ridley prior to his death. It reminds her of what happened, but it doesn't affect her too great.
Seeing Ridley alive again after his death would be like that man watching someone on fire.

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
Doesn't mean anything. Not everything is as it appears. Paying attention to the manga, Ridley states that he eats dead carcasses to heal himself.
So even in "apparent death", you still have to factor in as long as there are dead bodies to eat, Ridley will come back.
It's simple logic really.
Manga to Zero Mission: Eats dead carcasses to heal.
Zero Mission to Prime: Eats as much as he can to survive, then is mechanically enhanced by the Space Pirates.
Prime to Prime 3: Phazon influence.
Prime 3 to Super Metroid: Stripped from mechanical enhancements when Phazon was forced out of him. Eats dead carcasses to heal.
Post Super Metroid: Dead. Body was completely destroyed in Zebes' explosion.
Other M: Cloned unintentionally from DNA found on Samus' armor. Killed by Queen Metroid feasting on his fluids.
Fusion: Carcass of cloned Ridley is absorbed by an X-Parasite, turning said parasite into Neo Ridley. Parasite is destroyed by Samus.
The manga that Other M outright contradicts outside of Ridley killing Samus' parents and Adam being a Commanding Officer. Ridley could believably be dead after Zero Mission and Prime 3, but for whatever reason he survives both. Even with his regeneration ability, its seems like something he wouldn't survive.

Ah, but I didn't. I merely said she froze up and I questioned it.
You must be confusing that with what I said about Zero Mission.
We're talking about Prime 1 here, you know. It's what you quoted me talking about.
Well regardless, it doesn't really imply an episode of PTSD.

Poorly written, I agree with. However, I fail to see any contradictions other than "Oh, but Samus fought Ridley hundreds of times before, she shouldn't be afraid of him now", which is perfectly reasonable given that while Samus has defeated Ridley, she had failed to kill him until Super Metroid, where the destruction of Zebes ended him for real.
She only assumes this. There are plenty of space pirates around that could ship him off Zebes before it blows up.

Follow the finally killing him part to him all of a sudden coming back out of nowhere with an (at the time of his appearance) unexplained reason.
Top that off with having PTSD, as well as the very creature that came back out of nowhere happens to be the one that killed your family while you were still a child.
Yeah, logic is there, whether you choose to accept it or not.
It was foolish to assume him dead at the end of Super. He frequently comes back from things that ought to have killed him, as Samus is well aware. The situation in Prime is very close to Other M's in that she would reasonably expect him to be dead, but at this point she had only fought him once before. She pauses for a few seconds as opposed to Other M where she is paralyzed with fear for 2 minutes.

If you must need more logic, think of it this way; she has more control over her PTSD prior to Other M, because she's well aware that Ridley is either or is still possibly out there given what he has said. She won't have closure until he's dead.
Then, he's dead. Samus no longer has to worry about seeing Ridley again, and all's fair in the world concerning that issue. Ridley is out of her mind.
But wait, here he is out of nowhere. But...it's impossible to survive a planetary explosion after being heavily weakened in combat! HOW IS HE STILL ALIVE? WHY WON'T HE DIE?! Memories of what Ridley did resurface from the back of her mind, as well as the thought that no matter what she does, she can never be rid of him.
THAT'S what makes her reaction beleiveable. Underneath that armor, Samus is still human.
See above comments.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Not to cut off the Other M debate here, but i would much prefer discussing Ridley as a character in Sm4sh.

why not just take different parts of his appearance from the different games rather than just import the appearance from Other M if it looks so gross? i'd prefer the model from brawl, even if they made him only slightly beefier. in my comment somewhere else on this page, my other concern is how he would dash, because his size lengthwise is well...lengthy. i think the sizing that Mario and Sonic Guy posted look great, but i think his head and possibly his tail would have to be resized for him to look and move well

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Not to cut off the Other M debate here, but i would much prefer discussing Ridley as a character in Sm4sh.
That's the primary purpose of this thread, so I would encourage that you do cut off that argument in favor of discussing Ridley for Sm4sh, aside from the Other M debates being a lost cause at this point and all that.

Regarding designs, I just want to say that Ridley-X is factually the ugliest Ridley there is, far as I'm concerned. The Other M Ridley was quite the looker in comparison. Although it was the clone Ridley that the X infected and mimiced, they altered and mutated its appearance in a bad way with the unnecessary huge talons and whatnot, akin to how the SA-X didn't have Samus's actual face on the inside when zoomed in on but something uglier. The rest of Ridley-X's appearance I pretty much disliked as well, like the wing colors and stuff, not to mention those God-awful screeches that were far more annoying than Ridley's usual sounds. Ugliness to the ears too!

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
im not familiar with the different character models besides those from the prime trilogy, other m, and brawl. I dont see why they cant just take details from each model and make A ridley that works.

What is your opinion on Ridley's movement Ridley_Prime? that is my only remaining concern with Ridley because of the video that i posted in my comment on the last page. it hope it isnt that exact movement because he'll take up a lot of room, especially when watching him on final destination

Top Bottom