• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
If Sal's leaker says the truth, Ridley will have a hard time getting revealed. Prepare for the worst boys, but I think I won't have to main him. :denzel:

lilt

Smash Journeyman
No but you could at least respect others' religion. It offends me that people call a fictional being a God. That's partially why I don't play things like God of War. /being a hypocrite by supporting Palutena
We respect you, your god and your religion. And you should too respect anyone who see's Ridley, Allah, Ganesh or a flying Spaghetti monster as his god. It's easy.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
No but you could at least respect others' religion. It offends me that people call a fictional being a God. That's partially why I don't play things like God of War. /being a hypocrite by supporting Palutena
Maybe, just maybe if you respected our beautiful God, RIDLEY; we would afford you the same respect. Our fictional being is just as important as yours.

ender_idk

Smash Journeyman
Well, this was a truly great ride guys,

I bid you all the best of luck for this coming hour of either disappointment or joy.

either way, whatever happens, stay strong. Best of luck everyone :bee:

lilt

Smash Journeyman
Ridley is a FICTIONAL being. It sickens me almost as much as those 12-year old girls trying to sacrifice that other girl to Slenderman.
Religion is about believing, not knowing of any godlike existence. You can't say it's a fact that a god does or does not exist. It's the same thing with Ridley mate. Since you do not believe in other gods, they are fictional for you too, or aren't they? I don't see your problem.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Religion is about believing, not knowing of any godlike existence. You can't say it's a fact that a god does or does not exist. It's the same thing with Ridley mate. Since you do not believe in other gods, there fictional too, or aren't they. I don't see your problem.
Ridley does not exist though. That's the point I'm trying to make. Worshipping a false being will send you straight to the lake of eternal fire.

D

Deleted member

Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen! I imagine each and every one of you has been awaiting the reveal of Ridley's fate that will happen approximately 12 hours from now. I, like many of you, hope that Ridley's Judgment will be passed tomorrow and that he will finally be confirmed as a playable character like so many of us have hoped and dreamed.

It has been a somewhat common subject of conflict between Ridley Supporters and Detractors that Ridley may or may not have enough potential or uniqueness in the movepool and characteristics of his that can be drawn from the canon of the Metroid games. Coincidentally such a conflict has just come to an end in this thread (although to the best of my knowledge it did not seem to be strictly between Ridley Supporters and Detractors).

I imagine you may be asking right now where I am going with this.

Well, as some of you may remember, over the past few days, and most recently, a few hours ago, I have mentioned time and again that I have been collaborating with a Mr. @ZanZero to tweak and improve the moveset that he posted some time ago.

It is my honor now to present to you all the final product that @ZanZero and myself have produced after a week of tweaking and re-balancing all of the components of the moveset that he originally posted.

Without further ado, The Moveset:

Ridley:

King of the Skies

AKA Ridley's Big Ol' Moveset v2.0
(The EXTRA LARGE Edition)

The Rundown:

As the title implies, we have decided to revamp Ridley's Moveset to make him what many of the fans have desired him to be:
A vicious aerial fighter who controls the battle from the air and is a master of Juggling foes.
Ridley's incredible air game will allow him to easily combo and deal heavy damage and at middle percentages KO almost any opponent who takes the risk of getting close when he is off the ground.

But of course, like any character in Smash Bros. Ridley will spawn in and start all of his battles from the ground.
While Ridley is a master of the air, he suffers a notable reduction in potency on the ground.
Being a heavyweight, his moves hit hard no matter his location on the field of battle, but on the ground he suffers from a notable drop in speed and agility.
Couple this with the fact that Ridley will be about Bowser-sized, and Ridley can become an easy target for faster opponents such as Fox and Greninja who often will take advantage of Ridley's lower speed to get in close and punish him.
Because of this, it is very important to be aware of Ridley's position on the ground and space the enemy well so that he can take advantage of an aggressive or fast character's missteps and openings and get them into the air, effectively opening the way for some seriously lethal damage.
Since Ridley will often want to spend his time flying around in the air, we designed many of his ground attacks so that they would lift opponents up off the ground, allowing him to follow up with some Short Hop Aerials that can lead into some dangerous Aerial Combos.
Ridley's Tilts and Neutral Combo String both either directly lift opponents off the ground or allow for opportunities to do so with later attacks; a smart Ridley player should often wait for just the right moment to lash out and get an Aerial Combo going with one of these moves. Because, while they can often get a combo started, they are still hindered by some starting and ending lag due to Ridley's significantly lower speed on the ground.
Therefore I reiterate the fact that Ridley's spacing while on the ground is very important to ensure that he does not become a Space Dragon Shaped Punching Bag.
While his Tilts and Neutral Combo String are his go-to moves to help him get opponents off the ground, his special moves are his go-to spacing moves to keep those pesky aggressive players from being able to act like an annoying fly that Ridley may have a hard time swatting.
On the ground, his Neutral B acts quite similar to Bowser's, Ridley breathes a steady stream of plasma directly in front of him that can be angled with the control stick and gradually dissipates as time passes.
However, Ridley, unlike Bowser, has the ability to walk back and forth whilst breathing this plasma.
This added mobility augments the spacing ability of this move greatly as Ridley will be able to both defend himself while retreating and more safely approach enemies with this stream of plasma covering some of the space in between him and the enemy.
His Down B is another great spacing tool, with a press of the button, Ridley lowers his body, brings his wings forward, and then begins to extend them behind him slowly, putting them in position to produce a great gust of wind that will push enemies away without causing them to flinch.
Ridley's Neutral B has another unique property, when he is in the air, he will shoot 3 fireballs at a downwards angle in front of him which explode on contact. This property allows for additional spacing capability when paired with frequent Short Hops.
As you can probably guess, the gust Ridley produces will get stronger as he gets more time to extend his wings behind him. Like other charge moves, Ridley will be able to save the current charge he has by shielding, although the charge will be disrupted if he takes damage while doing so.
Furthermore, when used in mid-air, Ridley will send the gust at about a 45 degree angle below and in front of him, making it good for aerial edgeguarding.
The distance the gust will cover depends on the amount of time Ridley has charged it. At full charge, the gust will travel a little more than 1/2 the distance of Battlefield and have a pushing force similar to that of Mario's F.L.U.D.D.
Additionally, the wing flap will deal damage to the opponent, but will not cause them to flinch, similar to Mario's Cape.
The damage dealt by this move at close range (the wing flap) would be 8%, which makes sense considering Ridley is a fairly heavy hitter.
Then there is his Side B:
This move acts similar to Ganondorf's Flame Choke from Brawl, albeit with different properties.
Like Ganondorf's Flame Choke, Ridley will lunge forwards, however, he will not lunge quite as far.
While in Brawl Ganondorf's Flame Choke covers about 1/3 of the length of Battlefield's main platform, Ridley's lunge covers only around 1/4 of the distance of Brawl Battlefield's main platform.
Ridley's lunge covers a shorter distance than Ganondorf's. However, it also deals more damage.
In Brawl, Ganondorf's Flame Choke dealt 9% damage on the ground. For Ridley's move, he grabs the opponent and grinds them along the ground while moving forwards before finally throwing them upwards and away from him.
Ridley's Side B will deal 14% damage on the ground. It will also come out fairly quickly, being similar in speed to Ganondorf's Flame Choke. In this way, it will be fast enough to catch opponents off-guard or chain with his other attacks to end a combo, but not so fast that it becomes broken.
Also, if used mid-air, it will not put Ridley into a helpless state if missed, but he will not be able to use it again before landing.
Additionally, this move deals additional damage when in the air, again similar to Ganondorf's Flame Choke, which deals 12% damage in Brawl when used in mid-air.
To exemplify Ridley as a serious threat in the air we decided to boost the damage for his Aerial Side B a little more than the jump in damage that Ganondorf's Side B has.
Ridley's mid-air Side B deals 20% damage if Ridley manages to dive with his opponent to the ground.
Once reaching the ground, Ridley will grind his opponents along the ground just like he would if he grabbed them on the ground.
The move does 8% on the slam to the ground and 12% on the floor grind, with Ridley throwing his opponent away from him at the end of the move.
Beware, Ridley will suicide if he does not find a platform to land on during his dive with the opponent.
We envision Ridley's Side B to be a move on the ground that will keep enemies on their toes since Ridley will be able to lunge forward and deal damage to any uncareful opponents.
In the air, we envision this move to be a "combo finisher" so to speak. After Ridley gets a good Juggle going, he can finish the combo with a well-timed Side B that will deal great damage and bring the opponents all the way down back to the ground after a good Aerial Combo.
His Up B is the only one of his special moves that would not be considered a spacing move.
Ridley's Up B, like those of many of the other characters, is his go-to recovery move.
When executed, Ridley pauses for a moment, then flies quickly forwards in a straight line, spinning in a barrel roll motion with his wings flattened behind him and his claws extended slightly out to his sides.
This move will have omni-directional control, similar to Fox's Up B, and covers a length that is approximately 1/2 of the length of Battlefield's main platform.
Additionally, this moves fairly quickly, at a speed similar to Wolf's Up B. and deals multi-hit damage, with 5 possible hits for the barrel roll motion, each hit doing 3% damage with no knockback.
At the end of the move, Ridley extends his wings outwards around him, dealing 8% damage and knocking the opponent a fair distance away.
This amounts to a total of 23% max damage for his Up B.
As I have mentioned, the strength in Ridley's special moves is their spacing ability, which will allow him to keep opponents from easily rushing him on the ground. With his Neutral B and Down B being the best for spacing, and his Side B having some spacing capabilities (in terms of mind games) as well.
Ridley's Up B and Side B have their greatest strengths in recovery and combo extension/ending, respectively. We have chosen to design these two moves as such in order to emphasize Ridley's incredible strength in the air.

Up to this point, I have spoken at length about how we have decided Ridley to have an excellent air game.
Of course, the heart of any great air game is the character's Aerial Attacks.
For Ridley, as I have heavily implied, we have designed his Aerial Attacks to be the best part of his moveset by far, and have built the rest of his moveset around this idea so that his other attacks would compliment his great Aerials by for the most part, being setups into his Aerial Attacks (as I have mentioned previously).
Ridley, in order to maintain his Title as King of The Skies, has an aerial set that can combo into itself easily and deal heavy damage.
For the purpose of racking up lots of damage with his Aerial Combos, Ridley has his Uair, Bair, and Nair.
Each of these moves comes out fairly quickly and has low ending lag coupled with low knockback and a favorable trajectory so that Ridley can easily chain them together until the percentages get fairly high.
For his Nair, Ridley performs a front flip/barrel roll type motion that hits twice (once with his claws, and once with his tail) and sends the opponent forwards and slightly upwards.
For his Bair, Ridley spins and hits the opponent with his wing and then immediately hits them with a backhanded hook (think Charizard's Bair).
This move turns Ridley around to face the direction opposite from which he was originally facing, and sends the opponent forwards and slightly upwards.
Due to the turnaround, this move is an easy setup for a high-damage Fair or Dair that will send the opponent far away.
For his Uair, Ridley leans slightly forward before swing one of his wings in an arc above his head (a path similar to Bowser's Uair). This move comes out a little faster than Bowser's Uair and deals slightly less damage.
This move sends the opponent upwards and slightly behind Ridley.
But what about his other two Aerial Attacks, his Fair and his Dair?
As I have mentioned to some extent, we've envisioned these two moves to be Ridley's "kill moves"; both Ridley's Fair and Dair deal very high damage with very strong knockback.
For his Fair, Ridley shoots his tail forward at a slight downwards angle.
For his Dair, Ridley shoots his tail downwards directly below him, dealing a Meteor Smash along the entire length of the tail.
Both Ridley's Fair and Dair come out and end notably slower than his Uair, Nair, or Bair. This was in order to balance these two moves for the immense damage they deal.
Additionally, both moves have Sweetspots at the tip of the tail and a Sourspot at all closer distances, although the knockback and damage is still respectable in the Sourspot for both of these moves.
Overall, in the hands of smart and careful player, Ridley is a serious threat; with proper spacing and timing in order to get both Ridley and opponents into the air for combos, a good player can take full advantage of his potential.
To a novice, Ridley may seem a little complex, but once the spacing and aerial control are mastered, Ridley becomes an offensive and aerial machine.
His incredible air game and his great combo potential, coupled with a number of great spacing capabilities allow Ridley to have a great amount of potential to become a top tier character.
Through proper use of his spacing and aerial game, we envision that Ridley will reign not only as King of the Skies, but also as King of Smash 4.
We believe this set has great potential for Ridley to prove his title to the rest of the Smash 4 Cast.
After many defeats by Samus in the Metroid Series. In Smash, Ridley will finally be able to live up to his fearsome name as
"The Cunning God of Death."

The Moves:

As the title implies, this section will contain all of the moves in Ridley's moveset.
All of the more specific attack data for Ridley's moveset is in here.

As in the first edition of this set, this section will start with his characteristics, and then move into his attacks on the ground and then into the air.

Movement:
Ground: Slow
Air: Medium Fast (Think slightly slower than Jigglypuff's aerial mobility)
Dash: Moderate (Ridley's running speed is between Mario's and Bowser's from SSBM)
Number of Jumps: 4
Falling Speed: Moderate
Fast-Falling Speed: Slightly Above Average
Ground Attack Speed: Slow-Average (- represents a range)
Air Attack Speed: Medium-Slow*-Fast
*Medium-Slow is not a range, but a single speed description.

Attacks:

Neutral Combo String:
Hit 1: Ridley swipes with his left claw (4%)
Hit 2: Ridley swipes with his right claw (4%)
Hit 3: Ridley chomps his jaws directly in front of him. (8%)
Total: 16%
The speed of this string is similar in Speed to Bowser's.
Hits 1 and 2 deal no knockback
Hit 3 deals low-medium knockback with a vertical and slightly horizontal trajectory in front of Ridley.
Hit 3 is hindered by some notable ending lag which can be easily punished if whiffed (to exemplify Ridley's slow speed on the ground).
Hit 3 will push shielding opponents backwards slightly away from Ridley.

Tilt Attacks:

F-Tilt:
Ridley Sweeps his tail in front of him, dealing 12% damage along the length of the tail (The Sourspot) and dealing 15% damage at the tip (The Sweetspot).
Has good reach (similar to that of Marth's F-Tilt) and inflicts medium knockback.
Has medium starting lag (for a heavyweight) and medium ending lag (notable, but not enough to keep a combo from happening afterwards).
This move has a vertical and slightly horizontal trajectory.

D-Tilt:
Ridley swings his wings downwards, hitting on either side of him and enclosing himself.
This move deals 6% and pulls affected opponents in close to Ridley.
The coverage of this move is a little more than the width of one of Brawl Battlefield's floating platforms.
Additionally, this move can combo easily into his other tilt attacks (especially his U-tilt) to fairly low ending lag.
Has low-medium starting lag and low ending lag.

U-Tilt:
Ridley juts his wings upwards above his head, similar to Charizard's U-tilt.
This move deals 10% damage and medium knockback.
Additionally, this move has medium starting lag and medium ending lag.
Has a vertical trajectory.

Smash Attacks:

F-Smash:
Ridley tilts his head back, and then shoots an exploding fireball at an angle directly in front of him.
Uncharged Damage: 24%
Fully Charged Damage: 30%
This move is similar to Snake's F-Smash in Range and Lag (both starting and ending).
Deals very strong knockback.

D-Smash:
Ridley spins in place, dealing damage with his entire body, similar in priniciple to Peach's D-Smash.
Uncharged:
Ridley has 4 hits, 3 spinning and 1 wing attack at the end of the move (where Ridley extends his wings outwards from their closed position). Each spinning hit deals 5% damage and the wing hit deals 7% damage.
Totals to 22% max damage possible
Fully Charged:
Ridley has 7 hits, 6 spinning and 1 wing attack.
Each spinning hit deals 5% damage and the wing hit deals 10%
Totals to 40% max damage possible.
It is somewhat difficult to hit the opponent with all 7 hits, however.
Overall, this move has starting lag similar to Bowser's D-Smash and long ending lag (due to the wing extension).
Spinning hits deal no knockback, Wing Hit deals medium-high knockback with a Horizontal and Slightly Vertical Trajectory.

U-Smash:
Ridley jumps does a shot spinning jump, slightly enclosing himself with his wings.
Has 3 possible hits that each deal 6% damage uncharged (Total: 18%)
When fully charged each hit does 8% damage (Total: 24%)
Ridley ends the move midair and immediately enters a short hover state (0.5 seconds), allowing players to continue into the air after landing this attack and start an Aerial Combo.
Has medium knockback and Vertical and Horizontal Trajectory.

Aerial Attacks:

N-Air:
Ridley does a barrel roll/front flip type motion, hitting once with his body and once with his tail.
Deals 4% damage on Hit 1 and 8% damage on Hit 2, Hits 1-2 always combo together.
Deals low-medium knockback with a Horizontal and slightly Vertical Trajectory.
Low starting lag and ending lag.

F-Air:
Ridley shoots his tail forwards at a slightly downwards angle.
Deals 18% in Sweetspot and 13% in Sourspot.
Deals very strong knockback and has a Horizontal and Slightly Vertical Trajectory.
Has medium starting lag and long ending lag.

D-Air:
Ridley shoots his tail downwards beneath him.
Deals 20% damage at Sweetspot and 14% damage at Sourspot.
Deals strong knockback (very strong at tail) similar to Ike's Dair.
Has Medium Starting Lag and Long Ending Lag.

B-Air:
Ridley turns around and hits the opponent with a wing and then an arm.
Each hit deals 7% damage and Hit 1 is a natural combo into Hit 2.
Ridley will face the direction opposite he was facing before the move.
Deals medium-low knockback and a Horizontal and Vertical Trajectory.
Has Short-Medium Starting Lag and Medium Ending Lag.

U-Air:
Ridley leans forwards slightly before swinging a wing in an arc over his head similiar to Bowser's U-air.
Deals 10% damage with a Horizontal and Vertical Trajectory.
Has short-medium starting and ending lag and medium knockback making it Ridley's go-to Juggling move.

Special Moves:
Covered in full in "The Rundown"

Grabs/Throws:
Grab Range: Short

Pummel:
Ridley breathes a small burst of flames onto his opponent, dealing 3% damage.

F-Throw:
Ridley steps forwards and grinds the opponent along the ground, although he doesn't move as far forwards as he does with his Side-B.
Deals 10% and good knockback.

D-Throw:
Ridley pins the foe down with a foot, and then hits them with an exploding fireball.
Does 12% damage and medium-low knockback.

B-Throw:
Ridley turns around, throwing them behind him before hitting them with a fireball while they're in the air.
Deals 5% with the throw and 8% with the projectile.
Cannot be DIed out of Like Mewtwo's F-Throw.

U-Throw:
Ridley throws the opponent up into the air slightly in front of him.
Good for setting up aerial combos.
Deals 8% damage and medium knockback.

We put 200% effort into this moveset in order to make Ridley not only powerful, but fun to play. Ridley has an incredible air game that is balanced by his slow movement on the ground, so he is still an offensive monster without becoming too overpowered.
We hope you enjoy reading through this moveset and look forwards to your thoughts.

Have a Happy Nintendo E3 Day Everyone! :)

EDIT:

There seems to be a glitch and there are additional empty spoiler windows being displayed.
The Rundown is located in the 3rd spoiler tab under its title and The Moves are located in the 2nd tab under its title. Unfortunately I don't know how to fix it right now, so I apologize for the inconvenience.

Last edited by a moderator:

lilt

Smash Journeyman
Ridley does not exist though. That's the point I'm trying to make. Worshipping a false being will send you straight to the lake of eternal fire.
Ridley lives in Norfair. They might share a similar temperature. I guess it would be a good place to live there for him, or for vacation.

Last edited:

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Well I see you guys, after the direct, for the better or the worst.

So maybe for the last time :
PLAYABLE RIDLEY FOR SM4SH !

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I suppose the "true god" will be revealed for Smash, if your God is half as impressive as our God, surely he can make it into Smash Brothers.

Edit- Or he is "too big"? :awesome:

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hey guys.

Why are you talking about religion here?

If I see anymore of it, I'll start infracting.

I know we're antsy, but focus for ten minutes.

@ Morbi Morbi So drop it.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
You are going border line here.
Please illustrate why that is over-board, I merely asserted the exact same scenario; but with another fictional being in place of Ridley. Copy-Pasta. If I am going to far, he is.

Edit- NVM, apparently I have to drop it despite not bringing it up. Whatever, it is probably my last day here anyways.

Last edited:
Top Bottom