• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
We saw his shadow at the same time Sakurai was talking about possible boss characters. The implication that he's a boss hazard is clearly there, you'd have to be dumb, insane, or in denial to not see it.
So I guess they did not finish his model enough to show it off? Sakurai is trolling as usual.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
See what you did Sakurai? Everyone is going to go insane because of this!

samsparta21

Smash Ace
We saw his shadow at the same time Sakurai was talking about possible boss characters. The implication that he's a boss hazard is clearly there, you'd have to be dumb, insane, or in denial to not see it.
Sakurai is the ultimate troll. He knows what he is doing. You can never fully predict him.

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
So I guess they did not finish his model enough to show it off? Sakurai is trolling as usual.
Possibly. I'm not on the dev team, so I don't know why Ridley hasn't just been shown. I don't know, and you don't know either.
Toon Link was implied as a background character. Then what happened? He got confirmed.
One example does not a pattern make.
Sakurai is the ultimate troll. He knows what he is doing. You can never fully predict him.
And the same to you.

Last edited:

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Possibly. I'm not on the dev team, so I don't know why Ridley hasn't just been shown. I don't know, and you don't know either.

One example does not a pattern make.

And the same to you.
I'm just saying, he's not confirmed, but he's not disconfirmed either. This could still go either way.

Waluridleykryrool

Smash Journeyman
If ridleys model truly wasn't ready to be shown as a "hazard", why not just show someone like Kotake & Koume or the Dark Emperor Bosses whose models are, instead of an odd shadow with no clarification?

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I hate to tell you all I told you so, but then again... You all told be about Sheik.

Still, gotta give me credits for predicting Phantom as Down B, Zelda / Sheik split up, solo Charizard and Ridley stage hazard right?

Sucks to be us. But am glad Ridley and Impa peacefully died togheter.

Malle

Smash Apprentice
I've followed this thread for months now, and I am safe to say that this is most likely the part of Sakurai's plan.

Sakurai as a man is the master of the elements of surprise, surprising people is what he wants to achieve.. Thus sometimes the odd newcomers, and the sneaky ways he drop hints as we all know

Ridley might still be there, we'll see!

lilt

Smash Journeyman
@ Smashoperatingbuddy123 Smashoperatingbuddy123

Could make sense. Why even make Other M Ridley playable? Making someone playable gives that character a huge "boost" of character. He's just a clone, so he has no past with Samus which is important for the characters history. But otherwise, Other M's model would fit better than any other. Otherwise(!), Zero Suit Samus' appearence was changed quite a bit, Maybe Ridley get's a remade model. That's what I wanted the most for quite some time.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think there is only so much time left Sakurai can "troll" people with Ridley. As it stands, it should be obvious to most people what Ridley is in as. I think Sakurai is merely trying to soften the blow beforehand because he is aware how highly requested Ridley is, and is not trolling.

At the latest, I think he can only hide things up until June, which is when a demo will be available. However, I am personally expecting Sakurai to outright reveal Stage Hazardley later this month.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
stop this madness! nothing's been confirmed yet... wasn't the shadow really small for a hazard-ridley? and why would sakurai keep him out of camera focus when the shadow gave away the "mysterious" character so easily?

PlasticBag

Smash Apprentice
Sorry but, you guys are bringing up the Toon Link excuse but aren't thinking a whole lot about it. Let's say Toon Link is on the Spirit Tracks stage, he will be replaced by Alfonzo, but if Toon Link isn't in the Spirit Tracks stage, he'll be the conductor. Either way, both characters can possibly switch roles on the stage.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
stop this madness! nothing's been confirmed yet... wasn't the shadow really small for a hazard-ridley? and why would sakurai keep him out of camera focus when the shadow gave away the "mysterious" character so easily?
Because he knows the Western audience would have freaked out if Ridley was outright de-confirmed. He is preparing us for the eventual de-confirmation.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I think there is only so much time left Sakurai can "troll" people with Ridley. As it stands, it should be obvious to most people what Ridley is in as. I think Sakurai is merely trying to soften the blow beforehand because he is aware how highly requested Ridley is, and is not trolling.

At the latest, I think he can only hide things up until June, which is when a demo will be available. However, I am personally expecting Sakurai to outright reveal Stage Hazardley later this month.
I honestly think just deconfirming Ridley would do more to soften the blow than dragging the deconfirmation out AND acting like Ridley being a hazard is some kind of big deal. At least then the b**ching and moaning would be over and done with sooner.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
You know, Sakurai made mention of other boss characters on other stages. Asides Pyrosphere, are there any other stages perfect for a boss battleground?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
What I am more curious about is whether Sakurai will even acknowledge how highly requested Ridley was when he does finally decide to de-confirm him.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Wait a sec.

This wing isn't purple. It's more the color of Meta Ridley, isn't it? At 1:01-1:02

Or maybe I'm just too tired to make the difference between both colors xp

Last edited:

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Even if the Other M Ridley is a Stage hazard, there is still normal Ridley that can get in (or the Toon Link situation can happen).

For me though, I first thought Ridley was a little less likely (not guarunteed deconfirmation, cause the Direct was rather trolly throughout anyways). Then after thinking about it after a while, then trying to determine whether the footage shown was Sakurai was trolling or if he was a boss, I pretty much assume Ridley is confirmed.

Did anybody else see Ridley? His actual body? All I saw was his shadow.
Clearly Other M Ridley tail.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Even if the Other M Ridley is a Stage hazard, there is still normal Ridley that can get in (or the Toon Link situation can happen).

For me though, I first thought Ridley was a little less likely (not guarunteed deconfirmation, cause the Direct was rather trolly throughout anyways). Then after thinking about it after a while, then trying to determine whether the footage shown was Sakurai was trolling or if he was a boss, I pretty much assume Ridley is confirmed.

Clearly Other M Ridley tail.
Thanks. Same here, I still see Ridley's character door still open.

palutena will obv be a boss in Palutena's temple

:troll:
You mean Palutena possessed by the Chaos Kin?

Last edited by a moderator:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
There's another good reason to keep believing for Ridley.

There is really no other Metroid character fit for playable status unless you really want to count Anthony or a hunter. There are already three ATs including a character that could have been in the roster (Dark Samus), and even though both are in separate slots now, Samus and Zamus are still the exact same person.

So then, given how the Metroid series is one of the top franchises (behind Mario, Pokemon, and such) surely there's space for one more this time around. Ridley's space.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
There's another good reason to keep believing for Ridley.

There is really no other Metroid character fit for playable status unless you really want to count Anthony or a hunter. There are already three ATs including a character that could have been in the roster (Dark Samus), and even though both are in separate slots now, Samus and Zamus are still the exact same person.
So then, given how the Metroid series is one of the top franchises (behind Mario, Pokemon, and such) surely there's space for one more this time around. Ridley's space.
As long as Sakurai does not count Zero Suit Samus as the new Metroid character (since she is now her own character), Ridley could be added for Villain Rep.

D

Deleted member

Welcome back. I agree that it'll be his last, but I do believe the franchise will outlive him, based on how profitable it is. The general public buying Smash games does not give two damns who's developing them so long as they're of quality, and so long as a handful of series veterans are kept onboard, I'm sure that quality can be maintained, Sakurai or not.
Thank you.

As Smash is a once in a generation type of game, I think Nintendo are very stingy with who they would handle the franchise. This is a franchise they expect to make the big money in and not only that, are placed with extremely high expectations for. There's also the matter that Brawl is the way it is because Sakurai stepped up to make a new game; else we would have just gotten a Melee 2.0 for a Melee sequel. Smash is a franchise where each game stand on its own and can be played for many years to come. I don't know if there's anyone out there that would be able to match the quality and the appeal Sakurai gives to the Smash franchise and as the franchise is extremely delicate, I could easily see them locking up the franchise once Sakurai is done with his plans for the franchise. If (or when) the franchise return, it'll be a massive revamp by someone with totally different plans for the franchise (good or bad).

(best to continue this in another thread)

Last edited by a moderator:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
As a big Ridley fan, I'm very sad to say that I've lost hope.
Even if the hazard is Meta-Ridley or Other M Ridley, I have a hard time imaging a downsized Ridley fighting a larger Ridley, robot, clone, whatever.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Wait a sec.

This wing isn't purple. It's more the color of Meta Ridley, isn't it? At 1:01-1:02

Or maybe I'm just too tired to make the difference between both colors xp
Can't find his wings show me the number of the video

Or it's his tail I mean I think there was 1 hair of a frame his wings were shown

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
I think you guys are exaggerating the possibilities of the Toon Link surprise.
What Toon Link had going for him that Ridley doesn't is that he was already part of the Smash cast.
I'm still not rulling out the possibility that Sakurai could surprise us, in fact I hope he does so, but until the contrary is proven, Ridley is deconfirmed.

But I think Sakurai knows we wanted Ridley, showing Ridley not directly and not saying his name was his kind and subtle way of disconfirming him, feeling kinda sorry for us.

The only thing I find ambiguous is this looks like some sort of hyping for something, but I don't want to jump to conclusions, without totally ignoring the idea either.

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
Man after watching the direct the other day I feel like crap after seeing Ridley there. I wanted Ridley as much as most of you guys, but I don't think he is going to be a playable character this game. Along with that there are two things that make me feel worse about all of this;

1) A character that was only out for around 6 months got over a well developed character that has been out for over 20 years.
2) The fact that we might not even get him on the 3DS version, considering that Pyrosphere is a Wii-U stage, so he might not even show up on the other version (can't quite confirm that considering we haven't seen a Metroid stage on 3DS yet)

I am not going to say that I still don't want him, but I am ready to wait for the next game. I am just not going to get my hopes up and be even more disappointed. Until then I am still happy that they at least made Metroid a more prominent role in this game giving it several assist trophies and make Zero Suit Samus more unique.

Last edited:

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Despite what some people might say, I'm happy for ridley. In my opinion, he works a lot better as a boss character. Plus they fact that hes on a stage means we will be seeing A LOT of him.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Can't find his wings show me the number of the video

Or it's his tail I mean I think there was 1 hair of a frame his wings were shown
Yeah, the frames are shown for such a short time it's a pain in the arse if you're just trying to pause the video. I saw it for a second, but i had my settings all blurry because of the computer I was using. When I'm not busy, I'll probably try getting a picture. If I remember right it's a little orangish. Someone will get a screeny of it (hopefully before I get around to it)

Top Bottom