• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

ender_idk

Smash Journeyman
Notes: At the time of posting this, I'm heading off to bed, and I won't be on here long while tomorrow because I'll be out for most of Thursday, so I won't be able to see the possible big leaks, jus saying.

Regarding my previous post:

First off: I'm not permanently leaving that WAS meant to be my last post OF THIS THREAD. I'm sorry if some of you took it that way. (So I am deeply sorry if that made you cry @AndreaAC :()

secondly:

I said in my last post that I had many regrets.

But truth be told.............

I have more thankful memories than regrets.

SSB4 speculation has been one of the best things to be apart of and to experience IMO.

Literally from the first trailer and onwards, this has been one spectacular ride.

From the rise and fall of the gematsu leak. (ALL HAIL ROBIN :awesome:) To the many great character reveals (TBH I love every single character shown, minus dark pit)

But..............

What I'll cherish the most, and I have NEVER AND I REPEAT EVER REGRET.

Was discovering this place and Smashboards itself.

I really mean this, being on Smashboards and speculating is PRETTY MUCH the center of my SM4SH speculation memories.

From getting really interested in characters I really didn't know much about, but then getting really interested in them (Mach rider, RH rep, Isaac ETC)

and of course, Ridley, like I said in my last post, If I never stumbled upon this place.......... Well you know where I'd be

So really, even if I didn't post that often, I can still say that, I'm proud that I have stuck around this long and didn't miss a single post from when I started lurking here late April.

It really is an honor to have been apart of this thread, and to have NOT stopped believing.

I love you all and thank you for the memories here. I'll miss smash speculation, but at least It will be very satisfying to see this all come to a (HOPEFULLY) incredible end.

From start to finish, this has been one hell of a ride to have been on and not once did I regret it.

Thank you all so much. :nervous:

All I can say now is,
Bring it Sakurai!

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
So I just beat Ridley on Super Metroid (got to him in about an hour and a half >:D).

Battle damage has been confirmed, right? It'd be cool for Ridley to slowly get darker as he takes more damage, a la Super Metroid Ridley.

James Phillips

Smash Journeyman
Time for me to throw in my two cents.

• Has the speculation really been worth it?

Every bit of witnessing the revelations and sleuthing was worth it, I don't remember many mysteries coming out of the pre-release of a videogame outside of the Metal Gear series.

• Will Ridley's inclusion be justified?

In every sense of the word for appearing in all Metroid games outside of Echoes and II. Besides another Metroid character wouldn't hurt anybody so why not make it a recurring antagonists instead of Samus for third time. And I'm not talking about Dark Samus, I wanted her too.

• What would the ratio be between people who will like him and hate him if he's confirmed?

9:1 if he's original and interesting.
6:4 if he's a slower Charizard clone similar to Cap Falcon and Ganondorf.

• Was it unprofessional on Nintendo's part to not clear the confusion when they had the perfect opportunity to do so?

If he's a boss, yeah, dragging people around without a clear statement for over year only to be what the fans feared would be a unwarranted joke that'll only hurt than help.

• EDIT: Do you think it would be worth showing your displeasure with Nintendo?

No crying over spilled milk even if someone just came and tipped it over multiple times only to eventually spill when your not looking.

• Do you think him being a Wii U-exclusive stage boss is really worth complaining about?

See above.

• Should DLC be made if he's not playable after the false hype people have made of it?

Probably after the cut veterans come back.

• Would you forgive Sakurai for turning a blind eye towards the Ridley fanbase?

For the 2nd time? Yeah, I'm used to it.

• Would you question your point of view if he isn't playable?

It's 50/50 for me so no.

• What does Ridley represent in your eyes?

A popular and interesting villain from a B-tier Nintendo series.

• Why do you want Ridley playable?

Smash is usually the only chance you'll get to play as the villain in a Nintendo game, why not make the best of it?

• Do you think your reason is fair/non-biased?

Yes, it's really that simple.

• EDIT: What do you think of the fans?

Good and bad for their own reasons.

• EDIT: Do you wish for all character requests to be treated equally, and not be taken on face/personality value?

If they're legit and logical and not forgotten obscure characters like Geno then yeah.

Does Smash truely deserve a playable Ridley after all these years? After fifteen years of desperation, redemption, and unfair prejudice from the detractors?

Yes, a thousand times yes. It's time to put this long grueling debate to an end.

http://youtu.be/0QKtgCFSeXs

Wraeith

Smash Cadet
I've mentioned this before but I feel it's worth saying again with the happening soon upon us: if Ridley is absent from the final and full 3DS roster he isn't necessarily deconfirmed.

One of the theories is that Ridley and some other hyped characters will be reserved for the Wii U release then later added to the 3DS as free DLC which would succeed in preserving some hype for the console release while still maintaining Sakurai's word of identical rosters. This would explain the extra character slots and why they weren't present in the alleged ESRB leak as they're only expected to show content that is in the base game.

Nintendicted

Smash Cadet
Well guys, even after making an account, I still mainly lurked here, but it was fun reading through everything people had to say and occasionally throwing in my opinion. If only this thread weren't so fast. Anyway, it's been a good run with everyone. Ridley for Smash. Also, if anyone claims anything about that shadow, know this: at least one person in the world saw that shadow and joined smash speculation more than just PoTD's on miiverse. Without that shadow, I never would have found this amazing community and everyone that I will see again soon on (hopefully) the Ridley subforum. Thanks for everything.

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
• Has the speculation really been worth it?

The point is out there, and Ridley speculation has been an order of magnitude ahead of any other character for the game. Whether he's in or not, the point has been made, and even if not now, Ridley will be in some day.

• Will Ridley's inclusion be justified?

Very much so, an interesting character and a key part of his series with huge support.

• What would the ratio be between people who will like him and hate him if he's confirmed?

Huge / Irrelevant, I don't get why people even care what detractors think. The key is the fraction of people who want him, which is huge. Nobody will turn their nose up at a game because they really dislike 1 character in 50+, but people would buy it for 1 character they love.

• Was it unprofessional on Nintendo's part to not clear the confusion when they had the perfect opportunity to do so?

Yes, but only if it turns out that Ridley isn't playable. The amount of speculation, not just on here, but everywhere, have been absolutely enormous. If they really think it's worth shattering the hopes of such a huge fan base for some stage hazard hype, they've got their wires crossed somewhere. They've dealt with smaller fan bases much better, clarified things quickly, and not teased them for over a year.

Put bluntly though, with how they've dealt with other things I seriously doubt that they'd have let this carry on if not for Ridley being playable, but you never know. But yes, as said, it would have been hugely unprofessional, and it would be something I actually intend to write to Nintendo about if he isn't playable. Teasing as they did with no pay off for the fan base would be quite frankly disgusting.

• Do you think it would be worth showing your displeasure with Nintendo?

Yes, very much so. They have listened in the past, and that's probably part of the reason they were so careful to disconfirmed characters so directly when false speculation started.

• Do you think him being a Wii U-exclusive stage boss is really worth complaining about?

Yes, as above it means that they screwed with a massive fan base for some cheap stage hazard hype.

• Should DLC be made if he's not playable after the false hype people have made of it?

I don't think we'll actually see Smash Bros 4 DLC. Sakurai is heavily involved in the whole process, and I expect him to move on to other projects and "detox" from Smash Bros once the Wii U version is released. He does seem to pride himself on releasing the complete package, and whilst Nintendo are testing the waters with Mario Kart, I do doubt it will come for Smash Bros, particularly when Amiibos seem to be their money spinner for this version.

• Would you forgive Sakurai for turning a blind eye towards the Ridley fanbase?

Sakurai does as he wants, that's not the issue. He can turn as many blind eyes as he wants to whatever character he wants, just don't tease any fan base, especially such a large one. The unprofessional part is the teasing (if he's not in, if he is, it was a stroke of genius). Sakurai has made this series, and I wouldn't hold anything against him, but I still think making the concerns known to Nintendo in that case is important.

• Would you question your point of view if he isn't playable?

No. These questions are framed as though he won't be, this question seems entirely out of place.

• What does Ridley represent in your eyes?

Nothing really, some kind of large space pirate. I don't really care for Ridley, I just find all the talk around him fascinating, particularly how they've dealt with Ridley through the game's marketing cycle. The reason I'd be mad if he wasn't playable is more to do with the fact it would be a massive boot to the face for a huge fan community who they'd have been teasing, not any real care for the character I have.

• Why do you want Ridley playable?

I don't. He may be interesting, but personally I don't really care much about the characters chosen. The ones I "want" are those who have large fan bases, as I'd prefer that those who have been waiting got their wishes. In the case of Ridley though, I would directly want him playable because of all the teasing.

• Do you think your reason is fair/non-biased?

As it's not based on my own desires beyond wanting others wishes to be fulfilled I wouldn't think there's much bias in it.

• What do you think of the fans?

Like every community there are the good and the bad. The bad tend to end up being louder in any community, but the Ridley community, particularly on here have been a lot of fun. To be honest it's mostly the detractors who are simply toxic, probably because no well meaning person would ever genuinely want the dreams of others crushed, particularly the dreams of so many.

• Do you wish for all character requests to be treated equally, and not be taken on face/personality value?

Characters with connection to Nintendo should be considered, and the developers should (and have) make their decisions made on a mix of that, and a mix of interesting gameplay and marketing. They have done that in the past, and the character selection process really isn't the issue here. As said, if Ridley isn't in, the reason to complain is not that he wasn't chosen, it's that they teased, and failed to clear up the fact that he wasn't playable despite all this speculation boiling over for well more than a year based on what they had given us. This is particularly grating when much smaller series and characters were cleared up damn near instantly each time even when they had pretty much no fan base.

• Does Smash truely deserve a playable Ridley after all these years? After fifteen years of desperation, redemption, and unfair prejudice from the detractors?

I really don't know. Would be an interesting character, potentially an interesting play style and highly wanted, so probably. But the decision should always remain with Sakurai and the team, rather than people shouting loudly.

Notshauna

Smash Cadet
I have a goat ready so do I have to sacrifice it at 12:00 AM or 3:00 AM? First time doing this, so would love some advice.

In all seriousness it's happening.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Hang in there, guys. I'd give you all a virtual hug, but I'm not the sentimental type.

I WILL give you all a hug if Ridley is in, though...

RogersBase

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RogersBase
3DS FC
1848-1722-4915
Dear Ridley Thread,

I know we've had our turmoil over the past year but know that I am legitimately rooting for you all in the hours to come. We're nearing the reveal of the full roster and even though I don't believe he will be in, you guys have actually made me WANT him to be in.

Love, Roger

Last edited:

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
I have a goat ready so do I have to sacrifice it at 12:00 AM or 3:00 AM? First time doing this, so would love some advice.

In all seriousness it's happening.
What's the little guy's name? Name him Ridley so that the sacrificial ceremony is all the more symbolic. For whilst one Ridley dies, the next shall rise from the ashes and join the glorious Smash 4 roster like the phoenix ascending to greatness. It's happening, damn it.

Dear Ridley Thread,

I know we've had our turmoil over the past year but know that I am legitimately rooting for you all in the hours to come. We're nearing the reveal of the full roster and even though I don't believe he will be in, you guys have actually made me WANT him to be in.

Love, Roger

Dear Rog (ima call u rog),
I hope you've learned your lesson, young man.
Love, a strange little man.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
b26.png
One would think that Sakurai would be smart enough to realize that leaks and breaking street dates are going to happen the closer you get to launch.

Yeah, that big, epic Ridley trailer you were hoping to unveil Ridley with? Gonna be spoiled by someone with a potato-quality camera.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Here's my take on it.

Has the speculation really been worth it?
Yes, since we have so many supporters.

Will Ridley's inclusion be justified?
Yes, after getting shafted for so long, we need more Metroid reps.

What would the ratio be between people who like him or hate him if he's confirmed?
I have no idea. 75% 25%?

Was it unprofessional on Nintendo's part not to clear the confusion when they had the perfect opportunity to do so?
Yes, if he is not playable.

Do you think it would be worth showing Nintendo your displeasure?
Not really.

Do you think him being a Wii-U exclusive boss is worth complaining about?
Yes, we need more villain reps.

Should DLC be made if he's not playable due to the false hype?
Yes

Would you forgive Sakurai for turning a blind eye to the Ridley fanbase?
No, but I think Sakurai has been good to us since he was made a boss in Brawl.

Would you question your point of view if Ridley's not playable?
No

What does Ridley represent in your eyes?
A bad@$$ villain that needs to be represented in Smash.

Why do you want Ridley playable?
Same answer as above.

Do you think your reason is fair/unbiased?
Yes, we've been waiting for a long time.

What do you think of the fans?
We shouldn't argue so much.

Do you wish for all requests to be taken equally, and not be taken on face/personality value?
Yes, Sakurai needs to listen to western fans too.

Does Smash truely deserve a playable Ridley after all these years? After fifteen years of desperation, redemption, and unfair prejudice from the detractors?
Yes

Modular Zeal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tsquared
3DS FC
2750-1105-6750
Dear Ridley Thread,

even though I don't believe he will be in, you guys have actually made me WANT him to be in.
Yep, i felt the same way, at first I honestly could have cared less about Ridey being in but now I would feel terrible for all of these people who want him in and they wouldn't get him. I would be completely devastated for y'all! :(

Retrogaminglord

Smash Cadet
Still very curious why sakurai is doing what he is doing. He has not said ridley is a boss, nor a playable character. For people that are ruling out the space dragon, need to remember... Nintendo, rushed to to scene when the chrom was shown to disconfirme him, they never did that for ridley. Remember sakurai out right says a characters role in the game when shown, and he hasn't spoke about ridley. I'm pretty sure nintendo was aware of the split group that ridley has formed so maybe they are using that to cover up ridley's true role. If he were just a boss he would have been shown by now, we haven't even seen the pyro stage in forever , even when we did ridley wasn't there. The E3 demo didn't even have pyro, but it had megaman's. I know some of this has been said before, but I think, Ridley is both playable and boss maybe, just think about it for a bit.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Hang in there, guys. I'd give you all a virtual hug, but I'm not the sentimental type.

I WILL give you all a hug if Ridley is in, though...
You mean, a real hug?

I'd be very impressed if you managed to give everyone here an actual hug. Talk about dedication...

View attachment 24672 One would think that Sakurai would be smart enough to realize that leaks and breaking street dates are going to happen the closer you get to launch.

Yeah, that big, epic Ridley trailer you were hoping to unveil Ridley with? Gonna be spoiled by someone with a potato-quality camera.
Well, unless he's not in.

Just playing Devil's Advocate...

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Well guys, it's been a helluva ride (ly)

I'm getting choked up over here ...

Time to tips the scales !

GreatRagnarok

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Neodragon22
3DS FC
3007-8564-4279

(Not mine)

It's time
I know I said I wouldn't post until Ridley is confirmed or not, but I think I should post one more time (or two if I do that survey everyone is doing). The finish line is in sight guy. Now we charge to the end to seek Ridley's fate. Let's go guys. To the Final Destination of Smash Bros!

Last edited:
Top Bottom