• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
I just stated my stance on it. This isn't some childish "battle" between Ridley believers and detractors. It's a discussion about whether or not Ridley will be in the next smash as a playable character. If you want to take what I said and react melodramatically that's on you, just be aware it makes you take a condescending approach to an otherwise civil discussion. I didn't suddenly make Ridley's chances of being playable go down, I simply responded to a valid point brought up in a discussion.
childish?

THE INTERNET IS SERIOUS BUSINESS! :hulk:

seriously, though... i have only been on here a few days... and it went from EVERYONE in this topic being so fun and happy and sure that ridley was in... even converting some detractors to our view of things! :grin:

now... well, now i am the ONLY ONE with any hope left. :(

if its one thing i cant stand, it is people who dont have the will to stand by their beliefs. :glare:

like my use of the emotes?

Last edited:

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
childish?

THE INTERNET IS SERIOUS BUSINESS!

seriously, though... i have only been on here a few days... and it went from EVERYONE in this topic being so fun and happy and sure that ridley was in... even converting some detractors to our view of things!

now... well, now i am the ONLY ONE with any hope left.

if its one thing i cant stand, it is people who dont have the will to stand by their beliefs.
Bro chill its fine tons of people in this thread still believe that Ridley has a chance to be in Smash I think he has a 8.5/10 chance tbh, just because a person post an argument against Ridley and we don't post back doesn't me we have givin up I think today people are just tired and don't feel like dealing with it right now.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Guiz. I found out how Ridley can be in with Chariizerd

Down b as Charizerd he turns into Ridley

Smash doesn't stay true to tha canons

Sakurai: Laughs

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I found the most appropriate reaction gif to people walking in on the Ridley thread right after the Direct.

This gif can also be used with threads featuring Chrom, Shulk, Chorus Men, and many other frontpage character support threads when they ultimately get disconfirmed.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Sakurai has no problem with including 1-game-characters-only though. Look at: Sheik, Robin, Lucina, Lucas, Greninja, Zero suit Samus and Lucario (back then only pokemon diamond released).

So we see that it is possible for 1 game characters only to get in. In Metroid that would either be Sa-X, Rundas (gandrayda/ghor) or 1 of the hunters. Would this be logical over Ridley? HELL NO. Plus all those games are really outdated. But just saying it IS possible.
while they may be exceptions (such as roy) almost all the one shots came from very influential games of their cannons. yeah certainly Daisy have appeared in waaaay more games than rosalina. but Rosalina had a decent role is in the most crtitically acclaimed mario game since the 64 times. same with sheik, sheik may not be relevant to the series actually, but she was gifted to be important in ocarina of time. robin at least will probbaly a mainstay too in smash due to the importance on awekening. Haven't played mother 3, but people say it's amazing, and while greninja was in mostly in a roy manner since X and Y are bathing in victory, i believe it will also be staying a lot, even if by some reason 6th generation is the last(hardly)

in metroids case the two most influential metroid games are withouth doubt super metroid and metroid prime. and while technically zero suit samus is only playable in one metroid game, the concept behind the character is present in almost, if not all metroid games.

the bigger problem with other metroid characters is that the games that introduced more characters are hunters and other m... not exctly the most loved entries on the series so we are again with samus, dark samus, ridley, mother brain and maybe kraid. maybe a chozo warrior, a space pirate or a luminoth, but they tend to be a little generic themselves.

I don't dislike anthony higgs or sylux per se... but if they don't start appearing in great games, their chances will always be nonexistant.

D

Deleted member

I'd make a "Ridley is an evolved Charizard" joke, but we all know Ridley has a different evolutionary line...:smirk:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
childish?

THE INTERNET IS SERIOUS BUSINESS! :hulk:

seriously, though... i have only been on here a few days... and it went from EVERYONE in this topic being so fun and happy and sure that ridley was in... even converting some detractors to our view of things! :grin:

now... well, now i am the ONLY ONE with any hope left. :(

if its one thing i cant stand, it is people who dont have the will to stand by their beliefs. :glare:

like my use of the emotes?
That's the way this thread goes. It has its ups, and it has its downs. After E3, the lack of Ridley made this thread a huge ball of depression. Sometimes, something like that argument comes, and it can make the mood drop because it is a very good argument against Ridley. We cannot refute it, which makes it the first argument I've seen that we can't at least use an example to support our case with.

...That is, unless you count ROB. ROB was shown fully before his reveal as a playable newcomer character. Hidden in plain sight, if you will.

But it doesn't mean people don't have the will to stand by their beliefs. People like Jaidyen and Majora are confident he'll be in. It's just that people that have doubt (which is by no means a bad thing) are just saying that you shouldn't be too certain. Sure, you'll be crushed either way, but running headfirst into it like a train is something that'll make your crushed feeling drag out longer, and will make you all the more spiteful and angry at Sakurai in the event that Ridley is disconfirmed. That's not a good thing. Not to tell you to hold back, but to say that us with doubt aren't doing so because we're swayed easily every time there's a slight breeze.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
I found the most appropriate reaction gif to people walking in on the Ridley thread right after the Direct.

This gif can also be used with threads featuring Chrom, Shulk, Chorus Men, and many other frontpage character support threads when they ultimately get disconfirmed.
ok, that made me laugh.

good on ya.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord

This gif is applicable to most threads honestly!

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
That's the way this thread goes. It has its ups, and it has its downs. After E3, the lack of Ridley made this thread a huge ball of depression. Sometimes, something like that argument comes, and it can make the mood drop because it is a very good argument against Ridley. We cannot refute it, which makes it the first argument I've seen that we can't at least use an example to support our case with.

...That is, unless you count ROB. ROB was shown fully before his reveal as a playable newcomer character. Hidden in plain sight, if you will.

But it doesn't mean people don't have the will to stand by their beliefs. People like Jaidyen and Majora are confident he'll be in. It's just that people that have doubt (which is by no means a bad thing) are just saying that you shouldn't be too certain. Sure, you'll be crushed either way, but running headfirst into it like a train is something that'll make your crushed feeling drag out longer, and will make you all the more spiteful and angry at Sakurai in the event that Ridley is disconfirmed. That's not a good thing. Not to tell you to hold back, but to say that us with doubt aren't doing so because we're swayed easily every time there's a slight breeze.
This is a rare sight indeed, to see Hazama of all people trying to calm everybody down :chuckle:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

More like the backlash to Shokio's rant about Smash Wii U/3DS lacking any real mechanics and not being hardcore enough. I kid you not, he did make such a video after E3.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Remember though, he showed two of Pac - Man's attacks before his reveal.
Attacks aren't the character though.
Attacks aren't the character? They aren't the character per se, but they are part of the character. It's like saying Sonic's final smash (super sonic) isn't sonic.

Here's a better example, try and imagine a pic of fox's reflector by it'self and fox isn't anywhere to be seen, you can either assume it's a new item, or more likely it's Falco's reflector from Brawl (as he can kick it away, but was cut off the screenshot*). Yes most people thought Pac-Man's grab was a item, but it is still part of Pac-Man as his moves are part of who he is and what he represents (even more so in Pac-Man's case)

yes I'm away Fox could get Falco's reflect but it hasn't been confirmed and I didn't want to complicate the matter.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
More like the backlash to Shokio's rant about Smash Wii U/3DS lacking any real mechanics and not being hardcore enough. I kid you not, he did make such a video after E3.
I think it was more like this

On the topic of confidence on Ridleys appearance, im not confident. I know all the speculation and analysis on the shadow, by I'm just going but what sakurai hints directly, which is Ridleys a boss. If in wrong yay! I'm wrong! But without anything else from the source directly, i will remain skeptical.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I find it funny how he says that no matter how hard he tried, he could not find any exploits in the game, and treats it as a bad thing.

When, technically speaking, that's actually a good thing, since it shows that the programmers made sure to make the physics of the game as polished as possible and harder to exploit.

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Has anyone made a list of detractor's reasons about Ridley?

The main types I can think of off the top of my mind is the whole boss characters appear on other stages, opinion based stuff like Ridley can't be made smaller, and trying to debunk the credibility of Ridley supporters, by saying patterns have no credibility. Which I don't understand, makes more sense than betting all your proof one one line, (which can be up for interpretation).

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps Mr. Sakurai will create subtle character interaction animations for this game. Samus vs Ridley/Mario vs Bowser/Link vs Ganondorf. That would be fun. They could have unique clapping animations when one defeats the other, for example.

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663
Perhaps Mr. Sakurai will create subtle character interaction animations for this game. Samus vs Ridley/Mario vs Bowser/Link vs Ganondorf. That would be fun. They could have unique clapping animations when one defeats the other, for example.
Actually this kind of happened in Brawl, for example if Wolf beats Fox he'd give a unique piece of dialogue if it picked a certain win animation on the results screen.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
Oh, yes. Please forgive me for forgetting. Since it has happened already, there is hope that this feature is expanded!

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
001.gif

:3 Just a random idea on the reactions Ridley would have when defeated....

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
What happens if he gets killed by someone humiliating? Like Jigglypuff or even Zero suit samus
He does this:
Give the finger...
SCAN0214 (2).JPG

That....or....murdering everyone....

EDIT: Changed to a more fitting reaction...

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Remember though, he showed two of Pac - Man's attacks before his reveal.
The thing is, is that we still don't know the role of those Galaga ships or the S Flag. So that isn't a valid point unless the roles of those things are further clarified.

With Ridley we legitimitately saw parts of his body and the shadow of his body. We didn't see Pac Man's feet, nose, butt, arms, shadow, etc. Only possible summons from an item or two items from Pac Man's moveset.

Last edited:

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
What happens if he gets killed by someone humiliating? Like Jigglypuff or even Zero suit samus
hey, hey... jigglypuff is DANGEROUS.

you have any idea how many KOs i got in cruel melee/brawl with her?

infact, its thanks to her that i got through several tough challenges.

she's like a pink, puffy, female balloon version of ridley... she'd make a good wife for him, they could rule the cosmos together.

andrea, get to work on that, a ridley+jigglypuff pairing!

or, more seriously... what about some victory poses for ridley?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The thing is, is that we still don't know the role of those Galaga ships or the S Flag. So that isn't a valid point unless the roles of those things are further clarified.

With Ridley we legitimitately saw parts of his body and the shadow of his body. We didn't see Pac Man's feet, nose, butt, arms, shadow, etc.
Yes it was clarified.

Watch the trailer again.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Yes it was clarified.

Watch the trailer again.
It wasn't clarified though, the Galaga ship operated outside of Pac Man's input (or so it seemed), and Pac Man has a grab that works like a Galaga ship, and we only see characters raise the S Flag in the air.

Last edited:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781

Actually, 2 things.
  1. Shulk and the Chorus Men aren't deconfirmed.
  2. The Shulk thread took the absence of #MonadoMonday pretty well actually.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Point still stands that Sakurai has never shown a newcomer before their official reveal.
Didnt he technically show Palutena, be it in the form of a statue? In fact, does that statue have the same model, or is it different? Also, Toon Link, now that I think about it, heh.

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
The statue's model looks identical to Palutena's in-game model sans it being a statue, and it being bigger. It's still part of the background though and not the playable character herself.

As for Toon Link, he's a veteran, and judging by his graphic style there was no way he was going to look like that if he was playable.

With Ridley we saw him in motion, on the stage. We didn't see all of him but we did see his tail and shadow.

Last edited:

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
-Ridley is too big
-Not really, cause Bowser is too big
-Resizes happen
-Sakurai Happens
-Ridley is in Smash bros in some sort of way
-Quadraxis is the hugest boss Metroid boss
-QUADRAXIS CONFIRMED WITH RIDLEY FINAL SMASH
:happysheep::denzel::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::colorful::denzel::happysheep:

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
Seeing detractors bringing up the whole "He's a confirmed boss" or "He's too big" arguments and deciding not to reply out of pure rage like

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Actually, 2 things.
  1. Shulk and the Chorus Men aren't deconfirmed.
  2. The Shulk thread took the absence of #MonadoMonday pretty well actually.
True, but like us, their confidence in their characters aren't quite as guaranteed now. Shulk still has a fightin' chance due to being a fighter, but Chorus Men took it hard.

Top Bottom