• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Given the information that Nintendo actually sent IGN a message stating that Chrom isn't playable to clear up confusion, my percentage went from 90% to 99%. For that to happen, yet still have Ridley ambiguous for this long, is blatantly suspicious.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Sakurai's delivered on anniversaries so far. Little Mac on the Punch Out! anniversary, Robin and Lucina on the anniversary of a couple Fire Emblem games, and Captain Falcon on the F-Zero X anniversary. Since Ridley is widespread controversy with people claiming all things, no-one is sure, so it could technically still be considered a troll move to announce playable Ridley on the August anniversary of Metroid.

And God, do I hope I'm right.
Those were anniversarys? No doubt about Ridley being revealed in August anymore

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Given the information that Nintendo actually sent IGN a message stating that Chrom isn't playable to clear up confusion, my percentage went from 90% to 99%. For that to happen, yet still have Ridley ambiguous for this long, is blatantly suspicious.
GEMATSU, WHATCHU GOT?
WHATCHU GOT?
YOU GOT NOTHIN'!
THAT'S WHATCHU GOT!

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Those were anniversarys? No doubt about Ridley being revealed in August anymore
There, CA isn't a total foreigner to Fire Emblem like I am, and also listed F-Zero X.

The first Punch Out!! was released in February 1984. You get three guesses as to when Little Mac was confirmed.

They skipped the Donkey King anniversary in February for Little Mac, though that was likely because of the overlap and they wanted to reveal Little Mac first, provided DK is getting a third rep. (I've never said before, but I do think K. Rool would be an awesome addition.) If DK isn't getting one... well, that explains for itself why Punch Out! got priority.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
There, CA isn't a total foreigner to Fire Emblem like I am, and also listed F-Zero X.

The first Punch Out!! was released in February 1984. You get three guesses as to when Little Mac was confirmed.

They skipped the Donkey King anniversary in February for Little Mac, though that was likely because of the overlap and they wanted to reveal Little Mac first, provided DK is getting a second rep. (I've never said before, but I do think K. Rool would be an awesome addition.) If DK isn't getting one... well, that explains for itself why Punch Out! got priority.
So then, in terms of August for the NES:

Not that these mean anything, just some anniversaries I was able to pin down. Should I check the list for SNES?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Exactly. This just further cements what we already know. They like to avoid causing unnecessary confusion and giving people false hope. Which means that what they're doing with Ridley (on top of every other possible thing about it being suspicious), is incredibly odd.

Last edited:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781

Not that these mean anything, just some anniversaries I was able to pin down. Should I check the list for SNES?
Zelda, Donkey Kong AND Metroid all have anniversaries in August?
A villain trailer is looking all the more likely. I approve

Nietona

Smash Journeyman

You beat me to it! I was gonna ask whether there were anymore anniversaries in August coinciding with Metroid's. If you're gonna check lists, please do! That'd be greatly appreciated!

But, it looks like we could have challenge from a potential Zelda rep or DK rep? Coinciding anniversaries are the dangerous thing, if you subscribe to the belief that Ridley's gonna be revealed in August as an anniversary thing.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Y'know, that Villians Trailer doesn't seem out of the question now.
All NES Anniversaries in August:
Metroid - Ridley
Mario - Wario
Zelda - Ganondorf
DK - King K. Rool
IT ALL MAKES SENSE.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
You beat me to it! I was gonna ask whether there were anymore anniversaries in August coinciding with Metroid's. If you're gonna check lists, please do! That'd be greatly appreciated!

But, it looks like we could have challenge from a potential Zelda rep or DK rep? Coinciding anniversaries are the dangerous thing, if you subscribe to the belief that Ridley's gonna be revealed in August as an anniversary thing.
Considering that Ridley's competition is a oneshot villain, the alter ego of a Captain Falcon clone, a luigified Diddy Kong clone, and a villain losing relevancy...

Huh, quite a bit of competition actually.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
Zelda, Donkey Kong AND Metroid all have anniversaries in August?
A villain trailer is looking all the more likely. I approve
I would love a villain trailer. We only have 2 villains by now and I'm not so sure to consider King Dedede a villain.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Considering that Ridley's competition is a oneshot villain, the alter ego of a Captain Falcon clone, a luigified Diddy Kong clone, and a villain losing relevancy...

Huh, quite a bit of competition actually.
Well, we can't be sure about Ridley. However, call me crazy, but I think that's way better than it just being the Metroid anniversary. Even if only one character gets confirmed, Ridley's chances are probably more likely with coinciding anniversary dates than with it on its own because if it was only Metroid on its own, think how predictable that'd be? There's no way Sakurai'd do that. I'd be convinced Ridley wasn't showing, if that was the case.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
With Gematsu fake and Lucina making me feel like my 51 character roster might be too small, and all of the circumstances around Ridley? I'd say Ridley has a 100% chance and is as confirmed as a character can possibly be without having a page up on the website.
Honestly, I agree, I'm starting to think 54, and others have mentioned that the roster may be divisible by 9 due to the website. 54 fits it perfectly (although Mii Fighter would have to not be listed on the actual roster for it to work).

EDIT: Actually, no, if we had 11x5 that'd fit 54 with Mii Fighter still taking a slot.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
HELP ME!
In all seriousness(not yet confirmed), I don't know how I keep bringing that up, and no, I don't ship it

I didn't got Rayman to be an apprentice of the Assassins for nothing...

And back to Rids.....I WOULD FREAKING LOVE THE OMEGA ALTERNATE COSTUME (not recolor...)
Untitled.png

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I think everything just adds up. The teasing, the anniversary, the launch date. All of it. At this point I bet Sakurai planned to reveal Ridley last since the beginning, intricately planning how to dangle him right in front of us yet yanking the rod just enough to keep everyone chasing their tails (now that's a strange metaphor).

majora_787

Smash Hero
Honestly, I agree, I'm starting to think 54, and others have mentioned that the roster may be divisible by 9 due to the website. 54 fits it perfectly (although Mii Fighter would have to not be listed on the actual roster for it to work).
Miis would probably end up being on their own mii menu on the roster but not actually a "space" if I had to guess, but I have no idea. Because Sakurai Shenanigans. Sakuranigans.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

Alrighty! Here's your Nintendo Published SNES Games for August:

F-Zero scares me. Falcon is the only one of the O12 without a second rep (I think). Other than that I'm not too worried. How much you want to bet that we get a PilotWings screenshot on August 23?

Now off to N64!

EDIT: The rest of the Nintendo Consoles don't have the game months on them... So nevermind on that N64 part...

EDITEDIT: I found a different list with N64 release months. I'm heading there now!

Last edited:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
It's like every time a reveal come around my hype for Ridley builds. It just has to be real IT HAS TO.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

F-Zero scares me. Falcon is the only one of the O12 without a second rep (I think). Other than that I'm not too worried. How much you want to bet that we get a PilotWings screenshot on August 23?

Now off to N64!

EDIT: The rest of the Nintendo Consoles don't have the game months on them... So nevermind on that N64 part...
Black Shadow/decloned Ganondorf confirmed.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Seems I missed slightly more than I thought I would have.

Any good songs that go with trying to predict Sakurai and this whole Ridley mess?

I feel like it really is warranted now to compile the best posts of Ridley's evidence to the OP. I organize and make it look pretty if you want, and I'll need everyone to tell/send me the best posts proving/supporting his playability in the game. I really want a single location where I can send detractors to argue their arguments. It will also stop the spam in the thread of "Lol Ridley's not playable idiots" and now we would just be able to reply with "Read the OP" instead of a tangent.

@ IsmaR IsmaR If I'm willing to create this add on, will you add it? Oasis said we could do whatever we wanted with the OP. That's permission if you ask me
Very well, I will see what I can do.

nonono it's not about being ABLE to grab him, that's not an issue.

It's that Ridley, the badass enemy who literally DRAGS SAMUS THROUGH THE GROUND is now being held in one hand by her and being smacked comedically. Again, I am PERFECTLY OK with that if it means playing Ridley, but theres something to be said about downgrading an aspect so perfectly awesome about him, the fact that he is very ready and able to overpower Samus. Keep in mind I am of the party that NEEDS RIDLEY IN THIS GAME, I just like to think about all the things that might entail.
Normally I'd be inclined to agree with you, but I feel you aren't giving Samus enough credit here. She's grabbed things as big (if not bigger) than Ridley before:

Not to mention Smash isn't canon by any means. I understand the thought behind it seeming "wrong" that one referred to as the Cunning God of Death can be beaten down/put in ridiculous situations in a game like Smash, but that's something that's been going on longer than any game in the Smash series, not to mention with much more farfetch'd examples (insert Ganondorf's Bunny Hood/Lip's Stick "You will know true fear" pic here). It's a small price to pay (if any, I mean. I don't see it demeaning/belittling to his character whatsoever) to be able to get to actually play as/do awesome things as Ridley yourself vs. making him an ungraspable boss for the sake of adhering to some superfluous "code of honor" Ridley (and only Ridley) seems to have follow. Plus as many have pointed out here, making him a pitiful/glorified stage hazard that's as "threatening" as a piñata boss is much worse in the eyes of most Metroid/Ridley/Smash fans than whatever else they do with him.

I'm gonna like it here!
I should hope so. The likes of you and the other new users like @Meta-Kraid should fit right in.

So, Ridley...
Aaaaaaaaaah the temptation to steal this for my sig.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

But what about the mix of january, february, november, october,

But i doubt a 3 newcomer that would be another 2 newcomer 1 veteran (ridley, king k rool, ganondorf,) and maybe mewtwo would be added too it for such a hype trailer since hes rouge.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman

Now off to N64!

Thank you very much! c:

All things considered, I'd say we have to worry most about Wario, Ganondorf/Zelda newcomer, and DK newcomer in August.

I wouldn't worry too much about F-Zero, myself. While it's possible for it to get a second rep in Smash 4, I wouldn't think they'd reveal it within a month of revealing Captain Falcon.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I got you the Nintendo 64 ones. A lot of "one-off" games that I don't expect to get anything. N64 was slow for August:

I guess it's time for me to go get the Gamecube! :)

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Sakurai's delivered on anniversaries so far. Little Mac on the Punch Out! anniversary, Robin and Lucina on the anniversary of a couple Fire Emblem games, and Captain Falcon on the F-Zero X anniversary. Since Ridley is widespread controversy with people claiming all things, no-one is sure, so it could technically still be considered a troll move to announce playable Ridley on the August anniversary of Metroid.

And God, do I hope I'm right.

Edit: Shoutout to my 100th post.
He didn't deliver the Fire Emblem characters on any anniversary, none of the Fire Emblem games came out at this date regardless of the country. F-Zero maybe, but he didn't highlight it at all compared to Brawl's or any of the release dates.

Plus, remember that Rhythm Heaven, Zelda and other franchisees have an anniversary next month as well, which knowing Japan can easily take precedence *glares at Metroid's ignored 25th*.

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
He didn't deliver the Fire Emblem characters on any anniversary, none of the Fire Emblem games came out at this date regardless of the country. F-Zero maybe, but he didn't highlight it at all compared to Brawl's or any of the release dates.

Plus, remember that Rhythm Heaven, Zelda and other franchisees have an anniversary next month as well, which knowing Japan can easily take precedence *glares at Metroid's ignored 25th*.
I was under the impression that in Japan, the character reveal happened an hour before the 15th, which was a FE anniversary. Not strictly an anniversary, but about as close to one as you can get without being one.

And, Rhythm Heaven, too? Judging by that enemy in Smash Run, I won't count them out yet. So yeah, I'm hopeful for next month but not certain we're gonna see him.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I (would like to) think Sakurai is smart enough to know that a Rhythm Heaven reveal of all things right before the release isn't going to build as much hype as a huge trailer showing all of the most requested characters in the world (which happen to be Ridley, Mewtwo, K. Rool, etc.).

Plus, everyone loves villains.

Last edited:

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
So far from the august releases @ BlueBubbee BlueBubbee has posted it looks like a villains trailer is possible for the direct! We could get Wario, Ganondorf with his new moveset, K. Rool, Mewtwo and Ridley! All in one trailer!

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
According to the new site I had to use, Gamecube only had 3 first party Nintendo games in August:

Nothing notable here. Do you guys want me to go on to the Wii?

domokl

Smash Lord
it just aligns so perfect and makes so much sense, now we have to think of the scenario in the trailer.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
According to the new site I had to use, Gamecube only had 3 first party Nintendo games in August:

Nothing notable here. Do you guys want me to go on to the Wii?
Sure, please! Can't hurt to be as complete as we can, right?

I think it's likely that we're gonna finally see some villains in August, at this point.

Top Bottom