• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Reverse Gravity Grab and The "Extra Joss"

Does a nana only jc grab that dosent separate you sound useful?

• yes

• sounds pretty situational...

• wtf is an extra joss?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ol Jim Grizzigsby

Smash Rookie
So, I was labbing about with ICs and I noticed you could buffer nana dashs, not a new thing it seems but, I started seeing if i could use this to get guaranteed nana grabs for handoffs and other setups because popos gravity causes her to slide back when she stays synced, and because shes in a grab animation, you can buffer an input as she slides back (blizzard, smash charge etc), covering her retreat. But, when you do a dash grab forward it separates nana if you do it too early, limiting its usefulness. I think if you do a frame perfect JC dash grab, she stays synced, but jeez more frame perfect stuff?
Well an aspect of "popo gravity" (or maybe nana physics?) is that it forces her to face the same direction as popo. well, if you dash backwards with nana she does a funky little moonwalk, which, if you do JC dash grabs during it she will stay synced. I wish I had some pictures or gifs or something to show it but I have no capture device unfortunately. An easy way to observe the differences is to break popos shield and try doing jc grabs in front of popo and behind

this is the setup I used to develop the technique;
step 1: get into a nana buffer scenario (roll, spotdodge grab etc) and buffer a jab
step 2: immediately ice shot with popo (nana still in jab)
step 3: dash behind popo with nana (can be buffered)
step 4: Jc grab (you can now buffer something with nana after this grab, as she will stay synced and slide back to you
step 5: if you buffered something in the last step you have nana sliding back to you while popo comes out of ice shot

Now, this method is imo neither the best, nor the fastest way of setting it up. you could theroetically buffer a dash instead of the jab at step one and potentially use that, or any other buffer situation. I think you can also buffer nana dashs after anything actually, just as long as you are desynced, but I need to do further labbing to confirm or deny that. This is also how you get her to do the reverse dash attacks

ICs are so sick.

oh and theres some super funky interaction when you do a desynced b-reversed ice shot. Im naming it after myself because reasons and the only reference I've found on the internet is a gamefaqs thread from 7 years ago with no replys, soo....
Claimed!

Top Bottom