• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The reason why Capcom is not in Brawl!

CZbwoi

Smash Rookie
Coming from Kotaku,

With all the characters in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, there are a few that are missing. Where's Mega-Man? That character certainly wouldn't be out of place. Or what about Chun-Li or Ryu? The SNES controller was designed to suit the Street Fighter II port! Likewise, those characters would be right at home with the Smash Bros. Want to know why? Several insiders tell us that Nintendo was apparently still upset about GameCube exclusive Resident Evil 4 going multi-platform, and thus, decided not to include Capcom characters in Super Smash Bros. Brawl during development. However, with Capcom making a valiant effort at third part Wii developing with Zack & Wiki, do expect better relations between the two companies. Old wounds do heal — even when you are Nintendo! Heck, we would be surprised if Capcom and Nintendo were ironing out a deal for the developer to make more Wii titles.
http://kotaku.com/351377/why-is-there-no-capcom-in-supper-smash-bros-brawl

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Errr....most people had already bought RE4 for Gamecube anyways. Hell, I even bought it again for Wii. That's not something to hold out on Capcom for.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
It's possible but Capcom did kind of backstab Nintendo there since it was supposed to be a GCN exclusive. On top of the game no longer being exclusive, didn't they add additional content to the PS2 version?

And hey it's business. You should expect them to be childish and selfish.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It's possible but Capcom did kind of backstab Nintendo there since it was supposed to be a GCN exclusive. On top of the game no longer being exclusive, didn't they add additional content to the PS2 version?
Which Nintendo got anyways in the Wii version plus it's on exclusives as well.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
wow nice find! ive always thought of that situation but never really saw it harpening capcoms chances. There was an interview a few months back with megaman rep. he said that they had asked Nintendo but ti was too late in development, and that if they were asked they wouldve complied.

Magmar's Wrath

Smash Journeyman
That's nonsense, absolute nonsense. Why should I buy that?

Didn't Resident Evil 4 go to the Wii with more content, after it's PS2 release? Isn't Capcom still making games with Nintendo, like say, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles? And just how does a video game corporation say, "We're mad at them, so don't put them in Brawl!"

Do you really think that they would do something so childish? Heck, if this was about Hudson, Square-Enix, even Blizzard, it'd be ridiculous. Video game companies do not say, "You were mean, we're not putting you in our game!"

S2

Smash Lord
Actually, I don't think Nintendo asked any third parties beyond Sega. That is, Snake is in because Kojima made the initial offer and he's friends with Sakurai.

Sonic is obviously in for publicity (and I think there was a closed deal for him when Sega got the rights to use Mario for their terrible Olympics game).

HOnestly, I don't think they wanted more third parties than that. They could have very easily gotten certain character like Pacman, if they really wanted to.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
wow nice find! ive always thought of that situation but never really saw it harpening capcoms chances. There was an interview a few months back with megaman rep. he said that they had asked Nintendo but ti was too late in development, and that if they were asked they wouldve complied.
If it was the same thing I heard it only said that the creator of Mega Man was interested in having him in Brawl, but Nintendo had not contacted him about it, and at the time it was made there was still enough development time to add him if they were interested. Maybe I heard something different...

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
capcom actually did this with Viewtiful Joe also if i recall correctly.......

Viewtiful Joe won GOTY......then got ported to PS2

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
If it was the same thing I heard it only said that the creator of Mega Man was interested in having him in Brawl, but Nintendo had not contacted him about it, and at the time it was made there was still enough development time to add him if they were interested. Maybe I heard something different...
i think your correct, sounds more viable.

mickomoo

Smash Rookie
this is comming from kotaku. I'd take it with a grain of salt reguardless of where it's comming from, I seriously dobut that...

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
capcom actually did this with Viewtiful Joe also if i recall correctly.......

Viewtiful Joe won GOTY......then got ported to PS2
"Hey guys, get this... our game just got game of the year!"
"Yeah, but the Gamecube is selling like bricks at a bakery..."
"I hear the PS2 is selling well thou-"
"Get to work guys, we can make a huge profit off this!"

Top Bottom