• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The question thread.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
is it correct to use "whose" in reference to an object?

i.e. "the couch, whose cushions were stained with cheeto dust, was comfortable nonetheless"
As far as I know, yes, as it (whose) shows possession; in this case, the cushions belong to the couch. I mean, another way to say it would be "the couch cushions were covered in Cheetos dust, but they were still comfortable nonetheless". One must remember that the English language is needlessly complicated and appear -to this day - to make up and change rules as it goes. Hope this helps.

:phone:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sheep taste better. Goat is a lot more gamey, and tastes kinda like bad beef.

Sheep makes you mouth taste bad afterwards though, and smells horrible while cooking. The same can be said about goat though.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Honestly, the best avatars are the ones you make yourself. See my Vanille avatar? I took a NSFW pic of her in-game render, cropped out the naughty bits, resized it, making sure the ratio fits the 125x125 limit, and there; instant avatar.

I do that for all of my avatars, actually.

:phone:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
What is a moment? I'm seeing "[posted] a moment ago" and was wondering what unit of time that is. Why don't I ever see it say "10 moments ago"?

This new forum software is very confusing!

And yes Tery we all hate this but it's going to be ok. I wish I had a place to dump my laundry list of questions/things that need to be done. Mainly that mistyface.png needs to be added as a smiley.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Why the heck is this no longer a sticky? *sigh*
As a mod of the Pool Room, don't you have the power to resticky this thread?

EDIT: Wait, this thread is still stickied, unless someone has since restickied it after your post, or maybe it was never unstickied at all?

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Why are some people so ungrateful?

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I really wish I knew the answer to that question. I'd like to think selfishness plays a part in being ungrateful.
How do you define selfishness. While reading that I thought I know selfless people who have been quite ungrateful, but I call them selfless because they make efforts to help other individuals and but really they tend to process problems only in terms how they are affected. Despite the kindness it's selfish in the sense that it is extremely self-involved.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Selfless should mean that one expects no return. Acts themselves aren't inherently kind or selfless, but it's the intention backing them that makes them so. You can be like a Hollywood demagogue and publicize your givings, which is nothing more than just that: a publicity investment. Then there're those that do good just because they know it's good to do so. I don't know how many Christians are here, but there's a terrific passage from Matthew where Christ discusses the nature of charity:

"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full."

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I wrote a long counterpoint but while writing it, I realized the holes in concept so nevermind.

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
Sooooo. Kinda noobish at this now haw haw. Could somebody tell me how to change my name because when it says "name" I'm like ohhh I know that and put my real name like a tard. lol If not, I want to just delete this profile and make another one.

Sooooo. Kinda noobish at this now haw haw. Could somebody tell me how to change my name because when it says "name" I'm like ohhh I know that and put my real name like a tard. lol If not, I want to just delete this profile and make another one.
Hi Walter, name changes are normally a privilege given to donators. Last time I checked, the person in charge of premium membership and features was Virgilijus. You should send him a pm and see if there's anything he can do for you. As far as I'm aware there's isn't a feature to delete your account on the user panel and accounts are restricted to one account per ip address. Hope you receive help.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
You must be a premium member to change your name. You can either purchase one via Account Upgrade, or have someone nice enough to gift you their premium. Then, while still a member, send Virgilijus a private message (usually with "Name Change" in the title), and he'll change your name to whatever is desired, provided that name isn't already in use. Keep in mind, it can take as long as a week before Virg answers premium-related messages, as he prefers to do it in bunches.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I would honestly PM an admin explaining the situation. There's no need to pay for a mistake that the site ultimately made you make, especially when you typed your full name into a site.

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
I already messaged Virgilijus and explained what happened. I'll just wait and see if it changes. Thanks guys for the help.

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
Why is the word "idiot" so horribly overused? Example:

Guy 1: I'm stating my opinion and/or saying something that someone might consider a bit stupid.

Guy 2: You're an idiot.

I mean, I see it everywhere. Even in internet debates.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Why is the word "idiot" so horribly overused? Example:

Guy 1: I'm stating my opinion and/or saying something that someone might consider a bit stupid.

Guy 2: You're an idiot.

I mean, I see it everywhere. Even in internet debates.
Probably the same reason "lol" is overused; people (myself included) use it as an arbitrary response, whether we're actually laughing or not.

I tend to never refer to someone as an idiot, because for starters, as an insult, it can spark a needless flame war. Also, I try to be as polite as possible, when possible.

Top Bottom