• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The quest for 480p

Thoams

Smash Rookie
Hey, guys. I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum, and I know this has been discussed, but I'd like to discuss some of what I've "discovered" as of late. I'll try and keep it brief. XP

TV #1
My usual Sony Wega Trinitron:
480i: No lag, as expected.
480p: Not offered with this model.

TV #2
Mammoth 52" RCA with 16:9. The native resolution is 1080i.
480i: Upscaled to 1080i, so ~2 frames of lag were present.
480p: No lag. With testing it had the exact response time as my TV #1.

TV #3
Really nice Sony XBR Trinitron (With all kinds of bells and whistles; HDMI, 480p, 16:9, screen mode (Go back go 4:3 if needed), twin view, etc) we got for a friends house: The native resolution is 1080i, as well.
480i: Upscaled to 1080i so plenty of lag, as expected. (More than TV #2 upscaled)
480p: ~2 frames of lag.

Okay, so I thought. "Maybe all the crazy features causes a couple frames of lag."

TV #4
Simpler Sony XBR Trinitron: 4:3 default, but has screen mode just as TV #3 does, twin-view, etc. Overall, much simpler. The native resolution is 1080i, as well.
480i: Didn't test.
480p: ~2 frames of lag, as well.

I'm a hair confused. The RCA, as far as I know, definitely has some features such as picture-in-picture, so why the lag with the XBRs? I'm thinking, considering XBRs were Sony's big boy version of the trinitron, that they might have had some post processing flashiness? There's another TV I'm considering looking at. Another trinitron that's not and XBR, but it does have 16:9. However, given the RCA's result, shouldn't make a difference.

Also, I'm considering snagging this 15" 480p native resolution LCD TV and seeing what comes up. Recently played dolphin on my buddy's new beast monitor and it seemed really responsive. With some minor testing, it held up to the usual CRT standard.

Anyway, if anyone cares to shed some light on what I've found that'd be great. It's interesting that 1080i and 480p are technically different resolutions, but TV #2 held up just fine. Maybe it's the holy grail of CRTs? Lol

Top Bottom