• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
What really struck me about this was just how similar Layton's results were to supposed heavyweights like Rayman (in particular), Shantae and Shovel Knight overall. That's a pretty good sample size if the internet's anything to go by, and since it's probably not going to be a case of the characters with a simple plurality of votes are made into fighters, all we really need is Layton to be in the devs' eyes as a reasonably popular pick. (The fact that this is split across both genders pretty much evenly and across a somewhat large age range is huge, in my opinion anyway) Maybe the fairly high support for Phoenix Wright might help us out a little too, you never know! Not that I don't like Wright... I just like Layton more :p
I know this poll is in it's early days, that the results are liable to change dramatically and it will never be a perfect reflection of the ballot - and I suspect we'll never get any kind of results table released for that,sadly - but I feel pretty good about this one.

Just out of curiosity more that anything, do we know where Layton stands overall?
Layton has really always been a popular request. He has a huge following over at Tumblr and Twitter and even a number of very popular people in Youtube have given their two cents for Layton in Smash. Even the Official Nintendo Magazine had been pushing for his inclusion for years when they where still around. Some higher ups at Nintendo such as Satoru Shibata even adore the franchise and even Shigeru Miyamoto himself respects it for what it did for the DS and 3DS as well as helping expand the female gaming demographic.

Like I said. Layton having "no demand" or "popularity" is more or less just his detractors burying their heads into the sand. And this poll showing that he's popular enough to keep up with other "big guns" like Rayman and Shantae only shows this even further.

Here's hoping now that whatever Christopher Robin Miller voiced for Layton recently may indeed be intended for Smash 4.....

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
This Layton rumor is holding up pretty well. He definitely seems likely, I shall Iend my support.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Thank you Nintenzilla. I've added you to the supporters list. ^^

Anyway, I'm nearly done with the Mario Maker Sprite sheet that I've been working on. I've already completed Luke and Flora. Now over to Layton....

You know, if Layton got an Amiibo, I think it would be great if they released an update for Mario Maker that allows you to scan in or unlock an 8-bit Layton for the Mystery Mushroom item, would love to make some puzzle-like levels for it too. What other games would you guys like to see his hypothetical Amiibo used for? (Besides Smash 4 of course)

Last edited:

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
I recall Akihiro saying it'd be an amazing opportunity to have Layton featured in MarioKart or Smash. So why not a Mii costume via amiibo in MarioKart? There are some pretty cool ones for third party characters already (I think Pac-Man's costume is animated?), so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch. And a Layton woolen Yoshi would look pretty great too I think, but maybe he wouldn't have his hat featured (blasphemous, I know).

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I recall Akihiro saying it'd be an amazing opportunity to have Layton featured in MarioKart or Smash. So why not a Mii costume via amiibo in MarioKart? There are some pretty cool ones for third party characters already (I think Pac-Man's costume is animated?), so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch. And a Layton woolen Yoshi would look pretty great too I think, but maybe he wouldn't have his hat featured (blasphemous, I know).
I just want to say that I'm very confused, while many say that Layton is in fact third-party, many also say that he is second-party, and that Level-5 is allowed to collaborate with other developers, just like Gamefreak, and share many other provilages with Gamefreak, such as mobile development. So this all begs the question, is Layton third-party?

Edit: Notice how all of his games have been published by Nintendo, except Layton Bros as that isn't even a Layton game in Japan.

Last edited:

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
I just want to say that I'm very confused, while many say that Layton is in fact third-party, many also say that he is second-party, and that Level-5 is allowed to collaborate with other developers, just like Gamefreak, and share many other provilages with Gamefreak, such as mobile development. So this all begs the question, is Layton third-party?

Edit: Notice how all of his games have been published
Definitely third party. Level-5 developed Layton as their first unique project after doing a lot of work for bigger companies. Distribution was a problem though, so they asked Nintendo to help with that, so Nintendo became the publishers of the series globally. With the first game garnering 3.1 million sales, Level-5 then had the power to self-publish their games in Japan, but they're still published by Nintendo in other regions.

As far as I'm aware, though, there is absolutely nothing stopping them from releasing their games on other consoles. Would they? Probably not. Ni No Kuni is the only exception to this, but as an RPG it worked on more than just DS. I think Level-5 is a company inherently associated with Nintendo, though, which works in their favour.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Definitely third party. Level-5 developed Layton as their first unique project after doing a lot of work for bigger companies. Distribution was a problem though, so they asked Nintendo to help with that, so Nintendo became the publishers of the series globally. With the first game garnering 3.1 million sales, Level-5 then had the power to self-publish their games in Japan, but they're still published by Nintendo in other regions.

As far as I'm aware, though, there is absolutely nothing stopping them from releasing their games on other consoles. Would they? Probably not. Ni No Kuni is the only exception to this, but as an RPG it worked on more than just DS. I think Level-5 is a company inherently associated with Nintendo, though, which works in their favour.
Thank you for explaining! :) That certainly explains a whole lot.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
There is indeed nothing stopping them from releasing the games on other consoles if they ever wished to as the series is fully owned by them as they still develop and self publish the games in Japan. They actually released some small demo like game of Curious Village for the IOS (Or mobile devices?) once. Except it was kinda re skinned as a "Luke Triton" game and only had a few of the puzzles from that game if I recall correctly. But overall. They have released a number of spin-off's for the IOS but the main series has been primarily on Nintendo consoles.

Overall, Nintendo does help them with getting their games published outside Japan though. At least that was the case for the main Layton games.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Here ya go!

10. Bayonetta: 2997 (avg 2.964)
9. Simon Belmont: 3155 (avg 3.121)
8. Phoenix Wright: 3168 (avg 3.134)
7. Professor Layton: 3171 (avg 3.136)
6. Rayman: 3190 (avg 3.155)
5. Shantae: 3244 (avg 3.209)
4. Shovel Knight: 3394 (avg 3.358)
3. Bomberman: 3572 (avg 3.533)
2. Banjo Kazooie: 3618 (avg 3.579)
1. Snake: 3830 (avg 3.788)
Hmm.... looking through this list again, I guess I can kinda see why Sakurai would potentially choose Layton if he saw something like this via the actual Ballot.

From a developer's point of view. Out of these characters, the only ones I could personally realistically see happening are Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright and perhaps Rayman, Shantae and Shovel Knight.

Not to bring the others down or anything, but I think that Sakurai would probably have to go through some extra hurdles to get some of them and he might rather go for ones that are a bit easier to get ahold of. Then there is Konami who I'm not really sure what to think for them anymore.... Apparently they are leaving the market and the man who made Snake possible in Brawl had left as well if I recall correctly. So who knows with them..... Not sure if Sakurai would be fine with Bayonetta either if what I've heard about her is true.....

I think the fact that Akihiro Hino having shown interest in seeing Layton in Smash (twice) as well as Nintendo's own fondness of the franchise may help a little too. (I recall Sakurai having troubles getting Snake in Brawl partly because Nintendo wasn't really too keen on the idea at the time. And Miyamoto apparently wasn't too keen on the idea of Shovel Knight getting an Amiibo so if he wants to include a third party, it may help if Nintendo themselves like the idea of seeing that third party in the game....)

I wonder if the general high demand of seeing a Level-5 character in Japan may help a bit too. Out of the three most commonly requested series (Professor Layton, Inazuma Eleven and Yokai Watch) Professor Layton is the only one who is most familiar world wide so that might help him a little too if they want to include a character that the whole world got to know.

That's just speculation on my part though. At this point, we are just in the dark in regards to what will happen and all we can do is wait and see..... I personally feel that Professor Layton, Rayman and Phoenix Wright are probably the most likeliest potential third parties we could probably get from the ballot followed by Shantae and Shovel Knight. At least from this poll that is.

Sorry for the double post by the way....

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Thank you Nintenzilla. I've added you to the supporters list. ^^

Anyway, I'm nearly done with the Mario Maker Sprite sheet that I've been working on. I've already completed Luke and Flora. Now over to Layton....

You know, if Layton got an Amiibo, I think it would be great if they released an update for Mario Maker that allows you to scan in or unlock an 8-bit Layton for the Mystery Mushroom item, would love to make some puzzle-like levels for it too. What other games would you guys like to see his hypothetical Amiibo used for? (Besides Smash 4 of course)
id wanna see top hat wearing miis in mario kart 8 and a finely dressed yarn yoshi

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Anyway, I think I'm probably going to do a little further research.

I'm probably starting to become a little too hopeful now despite that a lot of things seem to be leaning more in his favor from the looks of things. I still want to check if we haven't overlooked anything.....

And to think I used to be more or less the biggest skeptical Layton supporter here initially.....

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Phoenix Wright is a possibility.

Shante, Shovel Knight, and Rayman are popular, but have little to no chance due to overall eastern exposure.

Layton is... Looking better actually... That's probably my bias speaking loud, but I'm actually optimistic for once! :)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Don't worry, its probably my bias speaking as well but then again. Before this whole voice acting tweet fiasco started I more or less gave up on Layton entirely and thought he was nothing more but a pipe dream.

But then

came along as Mr.Wright here lovingly put it. :p

It may be nothing in the end, but it may be good to keep an eye on it for now.

I still might look further into this in case we may have missed something important as I do not wish to get my hopes up in case we overlooked something important or something.

Eitherway, just to get the discussion moving a little further.

How would you guys react if Layton got leaked out of nowhere within the upcoming days much like Ryu and Roy did?
If he is in the game though, I would hope they will be able to hide it until the next Smash Direct or something for his reveal as that would certainly generate more hype I'm sure. But it may be great to be further assured that he is in fact in the game and perhaps see him and his potential stage in action too.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Don't worry, its probably my bias speaking as well but then again. Before this whole voice acting tweet fiasco started I more or less gave up on Layton entirely and thought he was nothing more but a pipe dream.

But then

came along as Mr.Wright here lovingly put it. :p

It may be nothing in the end, but it may be good to keep an eye on it for now.

I still might look further into this in case we may have missed something important as I do not wish to get my hopes up in case we overlooked something important or something.

Eitherway, just to get the discussion moving a little further.

How would you guys react if Layton got leaked out of nowhere within the upcoming days much like Ryu and Roy did?
If he is in the game though, I would hope they will be able to hide it until the next Smash Direct or something for his reveal as that would certainly generate more hype I'm sure. But it may be great to be further assured that he is in fact in the game and perhaps see him and his potential stage in action too.
Nicely put, CV.

I'll try and piece together the whole incident from beginning to end by next week. It may aid in our efforts.

I'd be excited.... But skeptical. I'd rather he be revealed officially than leaked.

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
Yet more waiting I just want the ballot to end already and I don't want to put anyone's hopes down but what if the voice lines for Layton are for the Layton 7 mobile game

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yet more waiting I just want the ballot to end already and I don't want to put anyone's hopes down but what if the voice lines for Layton are for the Layton 7 mobile game
Well apparently Mr. Miller recorded voice lines for two separate games if I understood correctly. One of them is most probably for Layton 7, the other is still in the unknown though....

Last edited:

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
Hm. Now that Chrom, Lucina, Fiora and KOS-MOS were added to Project X Zone 2, it refreshed my thoughts on Layton being included in that game. So, here's an updated possibility list:

1) Two unannounced Layton games
2) Layton 7 + Smash
3) Layton 7 + PXZ2
4) Layton 7 + Unannounced Layton game
5) Smash + Unannounced Layton game
6) Smash + PXZ2
7) PXZ2 + Unnannounced Layton game

However, when taking into account how late in development VAs are required, options start to be ruled out. This all works with the supposed mid-August voice session being taken into account, and two separate projects being recorded for via the "extra pages", as a preface.

Smash could happen anytime, so this one stays, and is most likely because it would give the team around a month to properly implement sounds if we make the hideously dangerous assumption that Layton is arriving on Sep 30th and that the voice session was mid-August-- a reasonable turnaround time for voice implementation for a single character.

Layton 7 is dodgy as we would have to make the assumption that Layton 7 would release this year in Japan and have a turnaround time of early 2016 in English territories if they've recorded the lines already. Layton Brothers Mystery Room had a turnaround time of nine months to be localised, and that was without voiced pieces and was pure translation. Layton 7 seems a lot less effort translation wise, so I could see it turned around sooner even with voices to be implemented. We'd need to see the game in a deeper perspective though-- the one performance in April is all we've had, which was not a deep enough look at the game.

PXZ2 releases in English territories in early 2016, but there's absolutely no indication Monolith Soft nor Namco Bandai would have any interest in including the character in the game. Capcom's inclusion of Wright may have a slight effect on Layton being included in the game, as they have gone hand in hand ever since the crossover game.

Unannounced Layton games would be the major wild cards. With no indications of any unknown games in development in Japan, and Level-5's usual policy of taking at least a year to port it to English territories, this is the unlikely option. The one thing that would work, though, is if the purpose was a remaster of the original triology for WiiU Virtual Console, which would likely happen soon if Layton was to be included in Smash, if Mega Man is anything to judge by.

So, here's that previous list in order of likelihood by my perception if everything we know is true:

1) Smash + Layton 7
2) Smash + Unannounced (Potentially DS Trilogy WiiU VC Remaster)
3) Layton 7 + Unannounced
4) Smash + PXZ2
5) Layton 7 + PXZ2
6) PXZ2 + Unannounced
7) Two Unannounced

Just thinking out loud really.

Last edited:

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
there are certainly plenty of possibilities for what he voiced
The possibilities are technically infinite, but many can be ruled out easily by looking towards Japan.

Second movie wouldn't be recorded for, as the movie has had no known progress past the initial announcement. They wouldn't have English VAs getting involved if they haven't even litmus tested it in Japan.

Cameos in other Level-5 games can be ruled out too. Yô Ôizumi hasn't recorded for any Level-5 game other than the Layton series, and Layton himself has only appeared in Inazuma Eleven as a character, which was not voiced, and a billboard in Little Battlers eXperience, again unvoiced. So it likely wouldn't be that either.

We're overall left with these combinations of four possibilities, and even then, PXZ2 is an outsider possibility as well with no data to suggest it would happen.

As an aside on the Smash potential, Shulk's VA session took place in the middle of May, and by mid-August we knew he was a playable character via the ESRB leak. Given that we know that at least Dark Pit, Lucina and Dr Mario were developed later, it would suggest that Shulk's voice-to-playable rate would be roughly the same as Layton's if he were made playable on the 30th of this month.

Doesn't Project X Zone only have Japanese voice actors in the game?
I don't think Layton is a possibility.
So far I believe only Japanese voice actors, but I'm making the assumption that they'll get English VAs when releasing it abroad. Then again, not every game needs that. I think Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem won't be getting English VAs, but that's a different beast.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Here's a interesting thought : Where do you think Layton would place on a tier list?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Here's a interesting thought : Where do you think Layton would place on a tier list?
High tier.
He'd not be fast with easy comboes, but he'll have tricks and traps of his own without being all too sluggish.
That said, he could rise or lower three tiers by having or not having a Down Throw-kill combo.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah I was thinking about the possibility of Layton (and Luke?) being in Project x Zone 2 as well when we saw that they even added some non Capcom, Sega and Namco characters in. And with the inclusion of Phoenix Wright, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that they may want to include Level-5's Professor Layton too......

I guess its something we should keep an eye on at least....

Its hard to tell where Layton would roughly be if we haven't seen his playstyle yet. Although I would hope he would at least be around mid to high tier....

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Of course it's impossible to know without seeing a moveset, but based on the character's traits, we can make a reasonable guess.

I doubt Layton would be a heavy character, so he won't be combo food.
He'll probably have a large hurtbox, so easier to hit.

And so on, and so forth, etc, etc.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
No, we can't. Even if we knew his moveset, we wouldn't be able to properly speculate a tier placement until players got their hands on the character.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So.... Hypothetical question.

What would you guys do/how would you react if Layton did indeed get revealed on the 30th?

And what would you hope his playstyle would be like?

Last edited:

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
If I had to guess accurately, he'd probably be somewhere around mid-tier, more or less. He'd definitely be a little bit slow (hopefully not too much), but he may have some sort of setup options that make him higher tier. Unless he's really slow, has few combos, and is easily combo'd, I doubt he'd be low tier.

What would you guys do/how would you react if Layton did indeed get revealed on the 30th?

Yay for looking up random images on the internet. :p
As for his moveset, I'd obviously want him to be similar to my moveset idea. But so long as he has some sort of mindgames or thoughtful setups and has a sword, he'll be a-okay in my book. No matter what if he were revealed he'd be my instant co-main.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I guess it may have been a good thing Martingale Martingale made us aware of the voice line session, otherwise my mind would have been shattered out of complete shock if I saw him revealed completely out of nowhere. :p

Eitherway, if he was indeed confirmed to be DLC, I'd probably be as hyped as when my old Brawl main was confirmed to return. :4tlink:
It would feel as if Sakurai gave me another birthday present again. c:

As for his playstyle. I hope his weight is around midweight and that he's at least about as fast as Ness is. His moveset should certainly provide some good mind games too in order to reflect on his character and the series as a whole. I liked the idea someone brought up a while back where he can fool his opponent in regards to which direction he would perform his smash attacks for example.

Eitherway, he would definitely become my new main alongside Toon Link, Ness and Villager.

Last edited:

Laytonite

Smash Cadet

Haha.... I honestly don't know what my reaction would be, but it will certainly be a spectacle. RE his playstyle, I want him to be about setting traps and careful forward planning. If his glider had an extended hitbox after you dismounted it and he had a projectile like the robot which would cover the whole stage on the floor and a move where he hides a hint coin / puzzle like Snake's Down B, he would be a character who would force reactions and keep them out and preventing an approach while making his own and generally keeping control of the stage. I can't really think of another character like that except maybe Pac-Man so he'd definitely be distinct from the rest of the cast in that respect.

This Mario Maker is extremely inspiring.
(Be sure to play Curious Village music while you're watching this.)

I think I want to make more puzzle levels once I get Mario Maker.
This was a really interesting watch! Definitely something I'm going to to use as inspiration if I get my hands on the game.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
This Mario Maker is extremely inspiring.
(Be sure to play Curious Village music while you're watching this.)

I think I want to make more puzzle levels once I get Mario Maker.
Heh, didn't realize I could grow the vine even longer..... I did complete the level though and it did indeed make me think about what actions I should take based on what's available for me.

Thanks, I had a lot of fun playing this level. If you come across any more puzzle levels. Feel free to let us know, Blue. I'll see if I can probably make a few myself as well. ^^

Kinda makes me wish Layton was a Mystery Mushroom character but I guess I'll have to make do with Dr. Mario then....

Last edited:

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
I'm just curious, but... How many of you have a Skype account or would be willing to make one?

If I were to make a Layton Skype group, would you join it? It'd be a really easy way to talk to each other without having to go through the trouble of writing an entire post waiting for responses, and instead have Skype open for receiving instant notifications. And more importantly, we'd be able to casually talk/get to know each other and play games with each other like Smash 4, Mario Kart, etc. I think it'd be a fun idea, since we can pretty much talk about whatever we want and converse in real time.

Would you guys be up to the idea? I'd be willing to invite anybody into the group if you respond to me here or PM me, but I just want to make sure that some of you would be interested before I make it.

GWTCN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GWTCN4
3DS FC
0173-1757-4619
I'm just curious, but... How many of you have a Skype account or would be willing to make one?

If I were to make a Layton Skype group, would you join it? It'd be a really easy way to talk to each other without having to go through the trouble of writing an entire post waiting for responses, and instead have Skype open for receiving instant notifications. And more importantly, we'd be able to casually talk/get to know each other and play games with each other like Smash 4, Mario Kart, etc. I think it'd be a fun idea, since we can pretty much talk about whatever we want and converse in real time.

Would you guys be up to the idea? I'd be willing to invite anybody into the group if you respond to me here or PM me, but I just want to make sure that some of you would be interested before I make it.
That's a nice idea. The only form of Skype I have at the moment is the web version, so once I figure out how to work it, I'll get back to you.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

well i guess my reaction would be along the lines of mind blown gasp of excitement

and i think his play style would be something refined polite and puzzling

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I'd be 50-50 on it. On one hand, I would have a much more excited reaction if Layton was revealed officially revealed for Smash Bros. On the other hand, while a leak wouldn't create that excited of a reaction compared to having Layton officially revealed first, the leak would give me a sense of relief to know Layton is one the way, and it would make hyped for the day Layton was revealed.

To put it in another way, I would still be very excited for Layton's reveal if he was leaked prior similar to what happened with Ryu and Roy. It's just that my excited screams wouldn't be as loud on the day of Layton's official reveal. In fact, the leak situation would be similar to my reaction with Ryu's reveal. I became very excited about Ryu's inclusion when I first learned about the leaks back in April, though my screams and my "aw-snaps" weren't as loud compared to a scenario where Ryu's official reveal happened first.
It depends on how his moveset turns out. If Sakurai decides to turn Layton into a joke character similar to Phoenix Wright's situation in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, then that would put Layton into a low tier unfortunately. I don't see this joke character idea happening though, mainly because Sakurai would likely want to make Layton good enough so that fans would buy him (similar to how people could choose to buy Ryu and Roy since they are both top-high tier characters at the moment and so players might want to buy them to do well on their own).

More realistically, I can see Layton being mid tier at worst. I think Layton has the potential to have one of the best recoveries in the game if his up special turns out to be the Custom Glider from Curious Village, though I could see the Fossil Glider having great recovery potential too. He would likely be around middle weight, though I wouldn't be surprised if he was mid-heavy range. That in mind, his speed would probably be close to Snake's. He could also have some great spacing tools thanks to the Coin Slot Machine Gun, the Stone Catapult, fire matches, toy robots, and the Magnifying Glass (assuming that the way you use it is similar to Greninja's Shadow Sneak), combined with some strong KOing options thanks to his smash attacks and some of his specials (especially if the Stone Catapult becomes one of them). The only major disadvantage I see with Layton would be his large hit box thanks to his hat.

There is also a small part of me that thinks Layton could potentially become the Smash Bros equivalent of Kokonoe from Blazblue (if he ends up joining the roster). Back in the days before Kokomo was revealed to join the playable cast in the console port of Chrono Phantasma, Kokonoe was in a similar boat that Layton is in right now. She was one of those characters that you wouldn't imagine as a fighter right away, mainly because she is a scientist. However, it was possible to come up with a moveset where she could use various scientific tools and weapons she invented on her own, not to mention she had an air of importance (in her case, she had an important role in the Blazblue games).

Then, the console release of Chrono Phantasma comes along, and Kokonoe was included into the game, and guess what? She ended up becoming the most broken character in the game (and she arguably remains high tier as of CP Extend's release). With Layton, I can see something similar happening if he is handled the right way, especially since he parallels Kokonoe with the initial lack of fighter visage (thanks to his appearance and personality) and his importance (being a modern day video game icon and arguably the main icon of the puzzle gaming genre).

Long story short, Professor Layton would probably be around high to mid tier, but I would still main him regardless of what tier he ended up in.

Here's a breakdown how my reaction would look like when I watch his reveal trailer.
  1. Smash Bros logo appears - "Oh snap, new character incoming! Hype, hype, hype! Placing my bets its either K. Rool, Isaac, Wolf, or Bandana Dee (since all four of them are the forerunners on the Smash Ballot)."
  2. First clip of the trailer reveals a setting from the Layton games - "*Humongous gasp, followed with a loud scream* OMG! PROFESSOR LAYTON! PROFESSOR LAYTON IS IN SMASH! PROFESSOR LAYTON IS IN SMASH!"
  3. Subsequent footage shows developing battle, mostly likely drawn in the Layton art style, taking place, with the possibility of some Layton characters appearing - "Aw snap! Layton art style! Layton confirmed! Layton confirmed! Wait, is that *insert a Layton character's name*? That's it, it's Layton, no doubt! Come on, Layton, come out already!"
  4. Professor Layton intervenes in the battle, along with his splash card - "*Gasps* PROFESSOR LAYTON! PROFESSOR LAYTON! Here we go, here we go, here we go! *Splash card appears* *Reads the splash card* Awwww yeah!!! Loving that "insert whatever Layton music is playing in the background at this point*!"
  5. Gameplay footage of Professor Layton is shown - "Look at him go! Wait, is that his Coin Slot Machine Gun! Heck yeah it's in the game! *Insert similar text for whatever move Layton is shown using* Aw man, look at that Final Smash! That's what you get for underestimating the Professor himself!"
  6. Smash Bros title card appears - "I love you Sakurai!" "Thank you, thank you, thank you for including my most wanted character for Smash Bros!" Thank you!"
Of course, if there is any footage revealed of Layton that follows after the trailer similar to Robin's, Palutena's, or Ryu's trailers, I would still maintain that hype as well.

I think my live reaction to Layton's reveal would trump Etika's reaction to Mewtwo's, but that depends if I will manage to record myself watching the reveal trailer and upload it onto Youtube.
I can imagine the actual Layton moveset would emphasize the puzzle side to him. Many of his moves would most likely come from the most iconic puzzles he solved over the course of his adventures (or anything else where you had to think, such as the mini games throughout most of his games). I can even imagine his side special being the magnifying glass, and it would probably work similar to Greninja's Shadow Sneak where you can control how far you want the magnifying glass to go, and if the glass reaches someone, the exclamation mark will follow and deliver damage. The main difference with Greninja's side special is that Layton would stand perfectly still throughout the duration of the attack.

Most of his specials would definitely involve all of the contraption he invented throughout the course of his adventures. You have the Coin Slot Machine Gun, the Stone Catapult, the Flying Contraption from Curious Village, the Fossil Glider, etc. He could also use some weapons he has encountered or used on his own, such as the robot dog, the toy robot from Miracle Mask, the goggles from Unwound Future, matches, etc. He could also use various animal buddies for some of his moves. The two that particularly come to mind are Keats the Cat and the hamster from Diabolical Box. My moveset idea offers the most likely possibility regarding how they would work in Smash Bros. He could also use his rapier or his pipe for some of his fencing style moves, though I think the pipe is more fitting since it fits the element of surprise factor to him a bit more. I also think he could use some Azran gadgets into his moveset, which would be perfect to show his archaeological side. I have one idea in the spoilers tag below, as it may contain some minor spoilers for those that haven't played Azran Legacy.

If any of you remember reading my Descole thread in the Layton social group (which also now has a thread of its own on the main character discussion forum), you would recall that one of my ideas for Descole's smash attacks would involve the Azran Keystone from Azran Legacy. In the Layton games, we see the Keystone a very powerful blast that was strong enough to activate a tightly sealed door.

Unfortunately, Descole's are very slim at the moment, so I was thinking about how I could take some of Descole's Azran inspired elements from his moveset and incorporate them into Layton's moveset since the Professor was the more likely candidate to join Smash. After careful consideration, I feel like Layton could also use the Azran Keystone to his advantage since he was involved in building the object throughout the game.

In Smash Bros, I can see the Azran Keystone working for any of his smash attacks. He could hold the Keystone either in front of him, above his head, or place it on the ground. From there, the Keystone would create a very powerful blast that visually looks similar to how it was used in Azran Legacy to deliver huge damage and knockback.

To sum it up, Layton's play style would likely be similar to Villager's in that he would be one of those "surprise" characters where he would pull out different objects at different times and use it to his advantage. It would confuse the opponent in a way that he/she has to think about how to approach Layton with the wide arsenal of objects he could pull out at his disposal (almost like he/she is being reminded of a puzzle). The way how he would attack/approach his opponents, however, would be in a gentleman manner to reflect his personality.

Last edited:

Martingale

Smash Apprentice

I'm trying to emotionally prepare myself for this, as some of you may know the story behind my emotional connection to Layton and Smash (short version: hella depressed and super aggressive, got Brawl and Curious Village one Christmas, Brawl helped me deal with my anger and Layton changed my perspective on the hopelessness of life as it taught me everything could be overcome, silly I know but this series hit that home). So there'd be a lot of hyperventilating, a lot of crying and a streak of excited cursing over on LaytonSmash to make even a 12-year-old girl on tumblr look rational.

As for his play style, it's almost certain that he would have mixups and misdirection as his character core. Baiting and punishing would be his forté, and many of his attacks would hit shields strongly, but the ungentlemanly acts of grabbing others and finishing them off may be a bit difficult by his code of conduct. So he's a character that would likely depend on winning the psychological battle against your opponents and keeping your distance until you're ready to make a conclusion, and earn those picarats!

Mobility wise, I would say he would be modelled on Link for speed and weight, perhaps a little quicker when running and a little heavier. Also, I don't think they're going to use the canonical height, which'd put him below Little Mac without his hat, but rather have him closer to Captain Falcon's height.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh, now that I think about it. There are indeed a lot of Layton fans who are from Spain (Or at least know Spanish) I can't believe I didn't realize that until now. Especially since I know a lot of Spanish Layton fans. xD

I wonder if most of Layton's support came from The United Kingdom, Spain and Japan since I know the series is most particularly popular in those three places.....

Top Bottom