• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
Who could make for a good assist trophy? I don't know Layton well enough to call it :p

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
...oh yeah. Derp :p

I guess I thought he'd be too obvious, and my lLayton noobery would show :laugh:

D

Deleted member

MaskO'Gears said:
Argh... Chances so.... low..... but the fans love him, including me.

Anyone pumped for The Azran Legacies?
Honestly, I'd say that he has the best chance for a third-party, next to Mega Man. Hino expressing interest and on top of that, being friends with Sakurai are pretty strong things in Layton's favor.
Maffewt said:
I thought 4 would be a nice number. Two in Brawl, two in this one, the perfect amount to have them all in the one match... But like. People are anticipating Megaman and Pacman so much, Prof'd be such a great wildcard. Announce Megaman and Pacman early for hype, then have Layton like a big Dojo announcement later on maybe? Like, I remember when Polimar was announced... there'd been barely two months since a character announcement, they'd already announced a roster's worth, he wasn't the most obvious choice... but it fit so perfectly and was such a surprise at the same time
I know this isn't the Pac-Man thread, but I don't see a ton of anticipation for Pac-Man himself. He has decent support, but a lot of it is artificial.

But onto Layton, while I'm only expecting one if we get new third-parties, two isn't out of the realm of possibility just yet. If both Layton and Mega Man gets in, Layton could work as a surprise E3 reveal while Mega Man could end up being the Sonic-like reveal later OR Mega Man could be the E3 reveal while Layton is saved until the very end.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's quite great to hear that Layton is one of the more likely third parties that could make it into smash. Of course Megaman and a Namco rep would probably have the upper hand but the fact his creator is interested in having him in smash might give him the boost he needs... hopefully.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I'd say that he has the best chance for a third-party, next to Mega Man. Hino expressing interest and on top of that, being friends with Sakurai are pretty strong things in Layton's favor.I know this isn't the Pac-Man thread, but I don't see a ton of anticipation for Pac-Man himself. He has decent support, but a lot of it is artificial.

I didn't realise the stuff about Hino and Sakurai, that's awesome! I'd much rather Layton/Megaman to Pac/Megaman or Pac/Layton - as would most, it seems. But Namco are helping develop, and Pacman is the most recognisable character in games after Mario. More than Mario, according to some polls.

But onto Layton, while I'm only expecting one if we get new third-parties, two isn't out of the realm of possibility just yet. If both Layton and Mega Man gets in, Layton could work as a surprise E3 reveal while Mega Man could end up being the Sonic-like reveal later OR Mega Man could be the E3 reveal while Layton is saved until the very end.
Yup, this exactly! i don't wanna get into meaningless parallels, but Layton would be unexpected, yet fitting, with casual recognisability and hardcore- cred, just like Snake.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
Whoops. I wrote my response into the quote, and the edit button won't work... :nervous:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I still have yet to see a source for that "Sakurai is friends with Hino" statement actually. I've been hearing it here and there but I haven't actually read or seen anything like that yet. I hope it's true though, I think that's partly how Snake got in Brawl right?

If anybody has a source about that, I'd be very happy to see it and maybe even add it to the OP.

D

Deleted member

I still have yet to see a source for that "Sakurai is friends with Hino" statement actually. I've been hearing it here and there but I haven't actually read or seen anything like that yet. I hope it's true though, I think that's partly how Snake got in Brawl right?
I'm part of the SSB4 speculation group (hosted by Toise himself). Toise stated that Hino and Sakurai contact each other via Twitter and are friends. The group is down so I can't provide proof, but if the group comes back and with that content, I'll link to it.

Either way, Sakurai is aware of Hino wanting Layton in Smash, which is noteworthy in itself.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm part of the SSB4 speculation group (hosted by Toise himself). Toise stated that Hino and Sakurai contact each other via Twitter and are friends. The group is down so I can't provide proof, but if the group comes back and with that content, I'll link to it.

Either way, Sakurai is aware of Hino wanting Layton in Smash, which is noteworthy in itself.
Oh I see, then that's great news if they really are friends. That only makes Layton's chances even better if it is true. I'd very much appreciate it if you do give the link once you do have access to it again. Thanks for telling. :)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I have a prediction that Professor Layton will be my most favorite character that I have played in the Smash series.
Well he will definitely be my main if he does show up. Like what happened with Mewtwo in Melee and Toon Link in Brawl as they were my most wanted characters of these respective games too. ^_^

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well he will definitely be my main if he does show up. Like what happened with Mewtwo in Melee and Toon Link in Brawl as they were my most wanted characters of these respective games too. ^_^
Oh yes.... so much potential for a move set. I'd love to see the Slot Machine Gun in the game. I loved that part in UF.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Honestly, I'd say that he has the best chance for a third-party, next to Mega Man. Hino expressing interest and on top of that, being friends with Sakurai are pretty strong things in Layton's favor.I know this isn't the Pac-Man thread, but I don't see a ton of anticipation for Pac-Man himself. He has decent support, but a lot of it is artificial.

Nice Logic. I'd love to see the Blue Bomber and Layton.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Who could make for a good assist trophy? I don't know Layton well enough to call it :p
Don Paolo (Main Antagonist of First Trilogy), Jean Descole (Main Antagonist of Second Trilogy), or Emmy Altava (Layton's Assistant in the Second Trilogy).
I can see Descole and Emmy making nice Assist Trophies, Don Paolo could be a bit tricky to work out.

I can't really see Luke as an Assist Trophy personally, maybe he could appear in Layton's Stage?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Emmy would sort of work more like Little Mac did in Brawl, except she uses more kicks than punches. Descole I suppose gets his sword out and does some sword attacks. Don Paolo could get into his helicopter and take out his ball and chains from Curious Village in order to attack the players. Luke could use some of his animal friends (most notable Lushaa from Last Specters Call) and even Flora could maybe use her robots to help her out in a Porky Minch type fashion. I've put assist trophy ideas in my OP. :)

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
Can't believe I haven't posted in this thread yet. I would absolutely love to see Layton in the next Smash Bros.

I realize a few people can't see him actually fighting, but seeing as how fellow fans are making the possibility seem more likely, I'd say there's always quite a chance.

As for a moveset, if push comes to shove, they can always use more than just his sword skills... There's tons of puzzles in his series, and it would be neat to have at least something from certain puzzles to actually attack with.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
Can't believe I haven't posted in this thread yet. I would absolutely love to see Layton in the next Smash Bros.

I realize a few people can't see him actually fighting, but seeing as how fellow fans are making the possibility seem more likely, I'd say there's always quite a chance.

As for a moveset, if push comes to shove, they can always use more than just his sword skills... There's tons of puzzles in his series, and it would be neat to have at least something from certain puzzles to actually attack with.
yeah, at first I wanted him purely cuz he was deserving and had a distinctive character, but after reading kikwi's moveset I think he has the potential to be one of the most interesting characters. And I agree, the puzzles HAVE to be incorporated.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think the puzzles would fit better for a stage based on the franchise rather than being implemented in the character.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I went ahead and fixed the sprite images in the OP. Some of them were starting to get broken.

Anyway's...

I went ahead and added you to the support list. Welcome on board. ^_^

Yeah, I suppose back around the beginning of the original trilogy days Layton had very little to work with, which caused many people to doubt if he was suitable of being a playable character in smash bros (to the point were people were even laughing at the suggestion of Layton making it into smash when he was mentioned to Masahiro Sakurai and Akihiro Hino during a talkshow). But nowadays Level-5 has shown him in lots of combat skills as well as fleshing out his invention skills all the more. There is definitely much more potential in Layton now than it did about 5 years ago.

And yes, they could indeed always use the many puzzles Layton and his friends have solved over the years in order to incorporate into his moveset like they did for Wario and his WarioWare minigames and Mr.Game & Watch and the many Game & Watch games. But like I mentioned in my moveset idea. They could also always use the many inventions he's made over the years such as the glider, the slotmachine gun and the catapult.

yeah, at first I wanted him purely cuz he was deserving and had a distinctive character, but after reading kikwi's moveset I think he has the potential to be one of the most interesting characters. And I agree, the puzzles HAVE to be incorporated.
I'm happy to hear that my moveset idea interested you. Thanks. ^_^

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I think the puzzles would fit better for a stage based on the franchise rather than being implemented in the character.
For some reason, the puzzle where you have to rotate the stage to get blocks in a position comes to mind.... But, I'd love to see St. Mystere tower as a stage too.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Speaking of St. Mystere, I was meaning to further explain the areas you would visit during the stage. Guess I might as well do it now.

This is one of the stops of the stage. The battle begins with you and your opponents standing right on the rooftops of these houses, the gap between the clock tower and the house at the right is a bottomless pit. So if a character falls in their KO'd.

This is another stop the stage could visit. The battle takes place sideways on this image though. Ramon (the guy with the purple lips in that image) uses the boat (which would be slightly longer in smash) to move left and right and you can basically fight on the boat or on the two shores between the lake. And yes you can also swim on the lake but like in Brawl, you need to be careful not to swim too long or else you will drown.

In this area, you will fight right in front of the Reinhold Manor, there is a lake at the right so again, be sure not to drown.

You fight right in this same spot. You can stand on the roof as well as on the street. Be careful of the manhole though as sometimes someone may open it and you can fall in there and get KO'd. The manhole would be a bit bigger in smash.

This is the area by the Ferris wheel. You will fight on top of the Ferris wheel as it spins a little too. (Don't worry, it wont rampage around the village this time around.)

And finally the top of the tower. You fight at the front door there. (Maybe Flora is there watching the fight for whatever reason)

And there you have it. About 6 areas and it would work like the Delfino Plaza stage from Brawl. I've forgotten how many areas the Delfino Plaza stage had but I think 6 is about enough, right? I think I've gotten all the places down you visit often in that game or are important. Oh and the stage should also have the residents of St. Mystere walking around just to give the village some more life.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I like the idea of flying around and seeing the major stops of the town. Very interesting.

*Imagines smashing to The Professor's theme*

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Yeah. :D

I'm going to include this to the OP. If anybody else has any stage ideas feel free to share. ^_^
Here's one

-Molentary Express- (or the Dibolical Box route)

Like St. Mystere, the Molentary Express has a 'traveling' segment, and a 'stopped' segment. There are three platforms in the traveling, representing three cars on the train. The stops are as follows:

London - Nothing special, other than Stachenscarfen and Granny R. walking in the crowd.

Dropstone - Two new Platforms, representing two roofs.

Folsense - At this point, the Characters exit the top of the train and fight in the area in front of the Hotel in Folsense via flying platform.

Herzen Castle - Finally, the platform moves to Herzen Castle.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Here's one

-Molentary Express- (or the Dibolical Box route)

Like St. Mystere, the Molentary Express has a 'traveling' segment, and a 'stopped' segment. There are three platforms in the traveling, representing three cars on the train. The stops are as follows:

London - Nothing special, other than Stachenscarfen and Granny R. walking in the crowd.

Dropstone - Two new Platforms, representing two roofs.

Folsense - At this point, the Characters exit the top of the train and fight in the area in front of the Hotel in Folsense via flying platform.

Herzen Castle - Finally, the platform moves to Herzen Castle.
Oh cool. Does it then reset after it finishes at Herzen Castle? I'll add this to the OP. :)

EDIT: There, I also added a nice image alongside your stage. ;)

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Kikwi, can you add me to the supporters list, I feel he's are best bet for 3rd party rep with Megaman.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Oh cool. Does it then reset after it finishes at Herzen Castle? I'll add this to the OP. :)

EDIT: There, I also added a nice image alongside your stage. ;)
Ah yes, I nearly forgot to add that the entire stage might travel in reverse. I'll come up with a few based off a few other games.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Could you add me too? Layton is one of my favorite game series and one of my requested 3rd parties.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
So I dunno if this has been mentioned elsewhere ITT buuuuuut, in a major Japanese poll in '08, Layton tied 10th for most popular video game character in Japan :D higher than Sonic. Higher than all Nintendo characters bar Pikachu, Mario, Toad and Yoshi. Tying with Squall and Yuna from FF. and all this was before most of his games and his movie, if memory serves me..?

So that's an awesome boost to his chances!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So I dunno if this has been mentioned elsewhere ITT buuuuuut, in a major Japanese poll in '08, Layton tied 10th for most popular video game character in Japan :D higher than Sonic. Higher than all Nintendo characters bar Pikachu, Mario, Toad and Yoshi. Tying with Squall and Yuna from FF. and all this was before most of his games and his movie, if memory serves me..?

So that's an awesome boost to his chances!
It would be great if you provided a source than I can include it to the OP if you don't mind. :)

Top Bottom