• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I would doubt so. Then again, did Christopher Miller mention that this session was a recent thing? @ Martingale Martingale

I think we can only really deduce that Chris voiced Layton recently as he initially denied it only to come back about a month later saying that he may be voicing Layton for Smash after all....

Edit: Oh hey, we finally reached page 50. (After like, three years but hey.) its nice to see this thread managed to be this active. ^^

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Can someone post a link to something that claims there'll be an update on Monday?
We only know about maintenance, all the talk about an update happening is pure speculation based on the timing. Roughly two months after Ryu and Roy's announcement, the time slot for the maintenance is the same from past DLC updates and it wouldn't be the first time Nintendo announces DLC in August/September. That said, it is better to assume it will be just a regular maintenance.

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
While it wasn't directly mentioned, it seems likely that the recording in question took place within the last month when the timeline of everything is taken into account.

Recordings for PLvAA would have been in late 2013 at the very latest for EU release in early 2014, and since then (and probably around the last recording session too) he's been featured in a number of projects, many of which are live-action films, which are a lot more demanding on both attention and memory than reading lines in a recording studio. Just by examining his involvement in other projects, it's safe to assume that if he remembered a few pages tacked on to a recording session with such physically and mentally demanding projects continuously since, he's superhuman.

Of course, then there is the fact that he flat-out denied it on the 5th, only to respond as though it had been confirmed in the meantime on the 22nd. Either he had in those two weeks been told something he had forgotten (unlikely due to how he responded), or he had a new recording session. And now he is continuously affirming his hopes that what he has recorded is being used in Smash. Personally I'd say if he wasn't at least a little bit sure about the purposes of his recordings, he would never have responded the second time, or worked to have the listing removed as Christina Vee did for Shantae.

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
Is there a link to these recordings

Also had an idea most characters hen added to smash get a cool poster Layton's could be the one from curious village but instead of the villagers it could be smash characters ( I would make it but I not that amazing at photo editing ).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Also had an idea most characters hen added to smash get a cool poster Layton's could be the one from curious village but instead of the villagers it could be smash characters ( I would make it but I not that amazing at photo editing ).
That's Exactly what I had in mind too. It's practically perfect too.

Layton standing in the middle with a similar pose whilst having the cast of Smash Bros (drawn in the style of the Professor Layton series of course) surrounding him with curious expressions and up on the corner (Where Curious Village's logo is) you would have the logo of Smash Bros for 3DS and Wii U.

Sadly there is no footage or anything of the recordings though.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Layton standing in the middle with a similar pose whilst having the cast of Smash Bros (drawn in the style of the Professor Layton series of course) surrounding him with curious expressions and up on the corner (Where Curious Village's logo is) you would have the logo of Smash Bros for 3DS and Wii U.
i might be able to whip something like that up

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

I think that's one good possibility how Layton's Smash Bros poster could like. Another great idea for the Layton poster would be one based around the Layton Royale poster pictured below.

In Smash Bros's case, I don't think Layton's pose in this picture would be carried over to the Smash poster. Rather, he would look more battle ready (probably looking a lot like the pose he makes on the box art for Azran Legacy), and so would all of the characters appearing around him. The background wouldn't be a brick wall, but rather a stage setting like London or St. Mystere (or some other sort of entertaining looking background).

As for who would appear on the poster, here's a list of characters that would fit into this poster quite well.
  • Front Row (from left to right): Captain Falcon, Zero Suit Samus, Professor Layton, Ness, Wario
    • Captain Falcon represents Grosky because both are expert martial artists
    • Zero Suit Samus represents Emmy for being fighting experts and being very nimble
    • Ness represents Luke since both are kids and wear hats
    • Wario represents Inspector Chelmey since both have a mustache and can be rude on certain occasions.
  • Front-Middle Row (from left to right): Lucas, Olimar, Rosalina, Peach, Palutena
    • Lucas represents Arianna since both are kids and have displayed some sort of withdrawn personalities at one point
    • Olimar represents Tyrone the Ringmaster since both command animals
    • Rosalina represents Angela since both experienced tragic events in their life and display a calm demeanor
    • Peach represents Flora since both are damsel-in-distresses in various moments in their series
    • Palutena represents Lady Dahlia since both have some sort of high status to them.
  • Back-Middle Row (from left to right): Fox/Falco, Zelda, Robin, Lucina, Mario
    • Fox/Falco represents Clive since both are weapon experts
    • Zelda represents Claire since both are seen as signifant others to their respective heroes
    • Robin represents Dr. Shrader since both are knowledgable in different fields (Robin being knowledgable about magecraft, and he generally looks like someone who reads a lot of books much like a professor would)
    • Lucina represents Katia since both display a strong attachment to their respective families
    • Mario represents Stachenscarfen due to similar appearances,both wearing mustaches and having short statures).
  • Back-Row (from left to right): Dark Pit, Mewtwo, Bowser, Ganondorf, and King Dedede
    • Here, each of these characters are added to the back row since they are all villains from their respective series, similar to how the Layton Royale poster puts the most iconic Layton villains in the back row, with Bowser being placed in the middle since he's the most iconic of the bunch, though if, in the very small chance, Descole were to be in Smash Bros, no doubt he would be placed in the middle).
Admittedly, I think the Curious Village concept will be the more likely candidate since its much more iconic than the Layton Royale poster, though I'd love to see a Layton Royale style poster for Layton's Smash poster.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think I might draw it out myself someday if I have the time. Some people apparently say that my art style is a little like Layton..... ^^;

I do agree that Curious Village's group theme would probably be more likely look than Layton Royale since it's a more iconic poster. Not to mention that the Layton Royale poster may be a little too similar to Megaman's poster too but that may just be me..... ^^;

I wouldn't mind it though.

Last edited:

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
yeah if there is no link to the recordings then its hard to actually speculate what they were.

and I would agree from what i have seen of your art it is very laytonesque ,although i have only seen you do layton work so that could be why haha.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
yeah if there is no link to the recordings then its hard to actually speculate what they were.

and I would agree from what i have seen of your art it is very laytonesque ,although i have only seen you do layton work so that could be why haha.
Well only Christopher Miller knows what those recordings where (Since he voiced them himself :upsidedown:) But according to him, he thinks (and hopes) that they are meant for Smash.

Oh you have actually seen my art? Well I'm happy to hear you think so. ^^

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

Sadly there is no footage or anything of the recordings though.
I had idea similar to this not too long ago.

It seems that Layton fans think alike.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
oh right now it makes it sound weird that i saw some of it haha
Lol not at all. I just don't really enjoy using DeviantArt anymore so I removed all my work there.

I posted a few of my artworks on Tumblr too but then I kinda decided that I'd rather reserve it for my 3D modelling and game project's etc.

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
okay well keep both forms of your art up they are really good, all I do art wise is make the occasional prop out of cardboard for my layton cosplay.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
okay well keep both forms of your art up they re really good all I do art wise is make the occasional prop out of cardboard for my layton cosplay.
Thanks. I'm happy to hear you think so. I might consider posting more digital art over there in the future. ^^

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah that's more or less all he has in terms of "Smashified" artwork as far as I know.

Unless Artsty Omni where to make a Smashified render himself or I where to actually model one.

I wonder if I would be able to make a more proportionate model for Layton if I where to stretch this design out a little.... Combined with his official art from Curious Village.....

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
I would pay big money for a full-sized, official poster of that. I never even considered the crossover artwork before now, and that's sounding absolutely delicious to me.

GWTCN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GWTCN4
3DS FC
0173-1757-4619
I assume that, similar to Ryu, we'll get an official artwork made by the actual people who do the official artwork for the Layton games themselves.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I assume that, similar to Ryu, we'll get an official artwork made by the actual people who do the official artwork for the Layton games themselves.
That should be the case. Most newcomers have their artworks made by the very artists behind the games themselves.

If Layton does make it, I would love to see some of the Smash Bros cast drawn in the art style of the Layton series.

I would hope Toon Link and Ness would be in it then.... ^^

Last edited:

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
If they did make it would they use characters that look similar to the villagers or just random characters ?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If they did make it would they use characters that look similar to the villagers or just random characters ?
If Ryu and Megaman are anything to go by. It would probably mostly be randomly selected characters that have little in common with the characters its based on. Assuming they would base it off any of the existing artworks of course.

Last edited:

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
I suppose we wait for the update Tomorrow still skeptical as the voice clips could have been for a number of things

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well its just a system maintenance for now so I'm not sure if we would be seeing Layton or anyone leaked tomorrow but then again. If I recall correctly, weren't Ryu and Roy leaked sometime after another maintenance too....?

Though I would expect Nintendo to have learned from their mistake.....

Last edited:

FraserLazer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2122-8914-3316
^ true but I Imagine Nintendo would announce characters they will be considering when the ballot has finished.

Top Bottom