• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The problem with the release dates.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
My only problem with the release dates is that they're too far away.

My 3DS is waiting.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
That's not going to be a problem for me, because the 3DS version is the FASTEST way to get to play the game for me.
I have a few friends with 3DSes with whom I can play online.

And when the Wii U version is out, I'll be looking forward to playing that in gorgeous HD graphics running at silk-smooth 60fps, with no signs of framerate drop.

If they were released the other way around (Wii U first, 3DS second) then I wouldn't have as much drive to play the 3DS one.

Acadian Flycatcher

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who is equally excited for both and see the merit of the 3DS version coming out first?

Smash Bros is a huge franchise, and right now the 3DS is streets ahead of the Wii U in far of successfulness. They cannot miss out on that opportunity to get Smash to as many people as possible.

They are both completely different games, with different modes, different controls and an overall different feel. Yeah of course if you play the 3DS game first some of the "magic" will be gone, but honestly you're going to find out about all the characters and stages before the game releases anyways so whats the point? And you could always not get the 3DS version.

The 3DS needs to come out first. If it were to come out the same time, or after the Wii U, I wouldn't really find the time to play it unless I'm on the bus or in between classes. Having the 3DS first assures that people go out and get it. It is a fully fledge Smash Bros game that has been getting the **** end of the stick every since it was revealed because it's not on a console.

The main complaint is "taking up valuable Wii U development time". So you're thinking if it was only one version they would go all out and include 60+ characters? No they would polish it up more.

Having portable Smash is huge for the franchise, and I for one cannot wait until October 3rd. I will play the **** out of this game so much that I will completely forget about the Wii U version until it is released. Then I will race to the store and play the **** out of that. Then over the months and years I'll be playing Wii U at my friends house with everyone, 3DS when I'm taking a **** on or on a trip. It's literally perfect.

There is absolutely no reason for you to be complaining about the 3DS version. It's not taking away anything from the Wii U version, it's adding extra.

As far as release dates go it is perfect.
Smash was always going to be a holiday release for Wii U. People that thought sooner were delusional. Mario Kart 8 secured the summer, and Smash 4 will secure the holiday rush.
The 3DS comes out before the madness so you have time to play before the Wii U. And it comes out right during school so you can take it there and play with your friends. And new Pokemon come out shortly after to secure the 3DS having blockbuster games for the holiday season.

You need to remember as much as you love the Wii U version, there are people out there that are only going to get the 3DS version, and without it they would have missed out on a generation of Smash.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
So why should I feel excited for a game that I already played trough?
At least in my mind, the differences will be comparable to the differences between Pokemon handheld games and Stadium. Similar enough to feel familiar, different enough to be worth getting.
Besides, what's NOT to be excited for about a new Smash? Heck, I'd be excited to get Smash64 ported to DS with no changes whatsoever. It's Smash. That's what's to be excited for.

SweatshirtSwordsman.

Smash Rookie
I'm actually glad they're putting it out on the 3ds first. Why? Mainly because I own one at this moment, and with the Wii U's version coming out around the Holiday's it'll likely come as some sort of bundle/special edition type thing. In fact, I'd be happy with a Wii U + Gamecube Controller adapter. I hope Nintendo understands this. Big Game Release = Interest = Lower Price/Bundle = More Interest. = More Sales = More Money for Nintendo. Along with the money for them, this time around, it looks like we have a chance at having a competitive game, ALONG with pleasing the beginner/anti-competitive audience.

Last edited:

Portanix

Smash Cadet
Well some people here seem to misunderstand me or maybe I just wrote so that you can misunderstand it.
Anyways, what I wanted to say:
I don't think the 3DS version is bad or that the 3DS version makes the Wii U version suffer. But I do think that the "magic" will be gone when the game is finally out for the Wii U, since I will have played several hours of Smash 3DS.
I believe that this will ultimately lead to a pretty much non-existant hype for the final version.
But I can only speak for me, though. Reading what the people wrote here I can say that some are feeling my way.

SweatshirtSwordsman.

Smash Rookie
Well some people here seem to misunderstand me or maybe I just wrote so that you can misunderstand it.
Anyways, what I wanted to say:
I don't think the 3DS version is bad or that the 3DS version makes the Wii U version suffer. But I do think that the "magic" will be gone when the game is finally out for the Wii U, since I will have played several hours of Smash 3DS.
I believe that this will ultimately lead to a pretty much non-existant hype for the final version.
But I can only speak for me, though. Reading what the people wrote here I can say that some are feeling my way.
I agree, except for me I'll be hyped because of the GC controller since I have large hands + a regular 3ds.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
So I was thinking about the game recently and pretty much came to the conclusion that I am super hyped and just want to play this game on the Wii U. Sadly, there will be a 3DS release of the game and I will also buy this because I can't wait.
The problem that I have with this is that I simply think that I will not be hyped for the Wii U version when it's finally there.
I mean, I will probably have every character unlocked and there is not much difference between the two besided graphics and minor game modes.
So why should I feel excited for a game that I already played trough? I don't know - and that's what makes me a bit afraid.
The feeling of a game when you play it for the first time is amazing. But I fear that this feeling will not be present when I put the CD into my Wii U.
I agree.

This feels like a sneaky, underhanded thing to do. Because, seriously, will I really be able to wait ~2 months for Wii U SSB?

But I'll want it when it comes out so I don't need to deal with the 3DS hand cramping...

SweatshirtSwordsman.

Smash Rookie
I agree.

This feels like a sneaky, underhanded thing to do. Because, seriously, will I really be able to wait ~2 months for Wii U SSB?

But I'll want it when it comes out so I don't need to deal with the 3DS hand cramping...
I'm actually only getting the 3ds version, (not for serious playing) but to find a character that fits my playstyle, and learning some general AT's, learning the engine, and some character specific gimmicks/AT's. I only really want it for the edge it'll give me.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'm sorry, but if releasing a game on a console you don't think it should exist on (which, BTW, plenty of people disagree with you on) two months early is enough to compel you to buy it, that's not a problem with Nintendo. That's a problem with your impulse control.

I mean, if Halo 5 were to release on the Vita two months early (assume for a second it's not an XBOX exclusive franchise), why would people grab it immediately instead of waiting? The Wii U multiplayer community isn't going to exist yet, since the game isn't out yet. The controls are different, the game modes are different. Just wait, people. It's mindless decisions to just "buy buy buy" that are responsible for companies like EA still making billions.

As for myself, I'm going to get the 3DS version because I actually want the game on 3DS. I love my handheld gaming.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
I'm not in it for the "first-time" hype. I'm in it for the long run. Besides, Smash Run looks fun, I'm able to play Smash 4 with people that won't get a Wii U, it's neat to have a portable version, there'll be some minor differences in gameplay, and I'm impatient like everyone else.

For people that are trying to contain their hype to wait for just the Wii U version....good luck to ya, buddy. You'll need it.

EcneBanjo

Smash Rookie
NNID
EcneBanjo
3DS FC
2621-2723-1197
While the portability of Smash 3DS will undoubtedly be very convenient, I agree with some that my hype level will be inevitably reduced by the time the Wii U version comes out. WIth that being said, I will still be hyped for the Wii U version. But knowing the full roster and the way the game plays beforehand does take away from a BIT of the hype. I guess in the grand scheme of things it does't really matter though.

Tshockz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
speed0fsound
3DS FC
1762-3005-1769
Honestly it doesn't bother me with the separate release dates. I still am looking forward to getting both versions having the 3ds version being portable will be nice.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
In my opinion it's a money grab. That's why they focused on 3DS first. They already know that everyone is gonna buy the Wii U version, but to satisfy our hunger for Smash, they give us the 3DS version first so that way we all want to buy it.
I don't know about that.

Maybe for competitive scene "everyone" is going to buy the Wii U version. However, when we talk in more general terms, things are very different. The problem is that the 3DS is a console that "everyone" currently owns, but Wii U is a different case. I know very few people IRL that own one.

My friends that like SSB and have a 3DS are overjoyed for SSB on the 3DS, because that means they get to play it on the system they currently own, and they won't even have to worry about the Wii U. By releasing the 3DS version first they are giving people like my friends even less incentive to buy a Wii U for the game. In fact they pretty much put the nail in the coffin.

Yeah, although I really like the idea of having a portable SSB game, I never liked the idea of them both being developed together in the same way, and having the same roster. I wanted an independent portable SSB game, not one that would directly take away from the console iteration.

EverythingSmash

www.youtube.com/everythingsmash
I'll be hyped for more stages, hopefully more modes, and better online play.& trust me from what I've played both versions actually feel pretty different from each other.

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
I'll be hyped for more stages, hopefully more modes, and better online play.& trust me from what I've played both versions actually feel pretty different from each other.
That's good to know, since I pre-ordered Smash 3DS and am waiting for a Smash Wii U Deluxe Bundle.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Honestly I'm just waiting for both. The 3DS version will satisfy me until the Wii U version but that doesn't mean I'll completely drop the 3DS one. In fact I honestly am pleased I'll be able to take my practice on the go.

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
Last time posting on this thread... The 3DS version can be used to play on the go AND to get used to the mechanics whenvever the Wii U Version comes out. Of course, both will have amazing modes and stages, so it's basically a win-win situation.

Top Bottom