• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The problem is your focusing on the things in Brawl that don't really matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance, is one of those people. She is a truck driver. She has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck (1) ,but you probably do not care about that case either (2). Oh well. I am not one of those people. I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though, you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously (3) that you would say that to someone's face (4). Just my thought.(added a space)What do you think? Oh, I am sorry, you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand (5)will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here to see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.
Yay! Poorly structured! Perfect!

(Added punctuation where necessary. This is underlined only)
(Inserted propper words where necessary. This is both bolded and underlined)

(1) - Irrelevant information.

(2) - 'That case either?' - Poor choice of words. I would suggest leaving out 'case' and using a more appropriate word such as 'condition'.

(3) - 'I doubt very seriously (sic)' should be -> 'I very seriously doubt', or 'I seriously doubt'.

(4) - 'Say that to someone's face'. Too politically correct in regards to the subject at hand.

(5) - 'I on the other hand' going on to say 'will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here'. Nothing was said before about buying any plane ticket. Poor choice of words.

Overall, use more punctuation and use paragraphs, and you're on your way. See what i did there?

B+

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
here's a sad fact: I'm going to a better university than you could ever hope to go in, I'm making more money now in a crappy summer internship than you will make salaried, and the probability is extremely high that my IQ is significantly higher than yours.
Argumentum ad Hominem: Directly attacking a person instead of focusing on the argument.

Did you learn nothing in college?

Iwan

Smash Ace
Personally being a psychology major, i find that this guy is lacking some serious fundamentals in the sense that he talks a bit too much about irrevelent things. I believe a previous poster mentioned that his comment was most likley not recreprical of how he felt, and that is also indicative of his response to you after you told him your breasts were fake. I believe this guy is looking for a good lay, question is what are you looking for? Just remember you always put youself and what you want first, your companion should always be an accessory to an already fulfilling sense of self, not the factor which brings you that value
Im also a Psychology major...

and i can tell you're bored.

TempestFunk

Smash Cadet
haha, another one... someone should make a psych major smash group...

and I agree with Iwan, either boredom or putting off doing a lab or something.

oh... and to typh... I didn't have a problem with you before, but since your last post I can see you're an elitist prick. AND If you were a GOOD psych student you would know that IQ means shoot all! It's just an arbitrary test to measure an abstract concept, but in doing so only measures what the test is testing and NOT that abstract concept itself. Ok, so there may be a slight correlation between school grades and IQ, but that dose not infer causality in the slightest, for all you know IQ just measures test taking ability (as it itself is a test).

Ok, so maybe I'm being a little harsh. perhapses you never learned that yet. If that were the case then you would have to either be first year or second year not having covered it yet. In either case you are in no position to anything, come back in 3rd and 4th year, thats when the courses really start getting tough. and if you are 3rd year or above, perhapses you should go back and repeat 2nd year courses because it seems to me like you missed some things.

Oh, also the 'better university' thing. First of all, that's like... the mating the cry of the elitist prick, it turns you on to hear yourself say that doesn't it? Secondly, some people don't have the money to go to those expensive universities, let alone university at all. and finally, maybe it's just me, but I value more things in life than just marks, grades, and prestige. Yes, I did get into some pretty darn good universities, but I went to MUN instead, I mean, sure, they have one of the best psych courses in all of Canada but thats not why I went. I came here because it's where I grew up, It's always been where I've identified as home. I've always pitied you people who only go to a university because of prestige, kind of feels like you're missing the point of life.

you fail sir, now go back to your lab report... actually I should go back to mine aswell :ohwell:

clace

Smash Journeyman
Best. Thread. Evar.

Dude, this was supposed to be a thread about brawl, but instead you've turned it into a rant about how egotistical you are. Someone should make a new category on smashboards, call it Douchebags, put this thread there and then close the category forever.

Then they got my vote.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Are you aware that some people just like anime? no i don't want to hear any of this "it's a ****ing cartoon " **** because ITS NOT. Anime is a form of art just like any other tv show, videogame, movie, or play. Personally I prefer anime beacuse a lot of the storylines are really good and some of them have good meanings and themes that can be applied to real life. Im tired of myself and any other anime fans being stereotyped as wearing "wolf shirts" or having "neck beards" because a majority of the time that is simply not true. These hateful sterotypes need to stop and you all need to become a little more tolerant. Look at what happened to that Applemilk girl, she was legitimately making helpful youtube videos about learning japanese and then everybody here laughed when she was hacked by anonymous. I'm actually going to japan this summer to study the language and culture so that i can have a better understanding of anime. How is this any different than somebody taking music theory because they like music? or psychology because they want to help people? nothing. Just my though.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain.

Radzilla

Smash Rookie
^Tl ; dr version: "Be tolerant of things I like, else you are moron who is obviously inferior to my intellectual might. But seriously, you need to be more tolerant."

TempestFunk

Smash Cadet
Are you aware that some people just like anime? no i don't want to hear any of this "it's a ****ing cartoon " **** because ITS NOT. Anime is a form of art just like any other tv show, videogame, movie, or play. Personally I prefer anime beacuse a lot of the storylines are really good and some of them have good meanings and themes that can be applied to real life. Im tired of myself and any other anime fans being stereotyped as wearing "wolf shirts" or having "neck beards" because a majority of the time that is simply not true. These hateful sterotypes need to stop and you all need to become a little more tolerant. Look at what happened to that Applemilk girl, she was legitimately making helpful youtube videos about learning japanese and then everybody here laughed when she was hacked by anonymous. I'm actually going to japan this summer to study the language and culture so that i can have a better understanding of anime. How is this any different than somebody taking music theory because they like music? or psychology because they want to help people? nothing. Just my though.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain.
I agree, people can be insensitive and very closed off to the world, not excepting other people for who they are, being immature.. etc. etc.

This is all the more increased on the internet due to the anonymousness the internet grants. We hide behind our avatars and say things to total strangers that we would never say in real life. it's a fact, this anonymousness is disinhibiting socially.

Although, social cometaries aside. I really REALLY don't know where you get off! Do not say you're taking psych to help people and act the way you do! please realize that most of these people on this forum are still just kids (sorry guys, it's true) the last thing they need is some university student telling them they won't amount to anything in life, and that they don't have a brain (really lame insult btw, a touch below the insulting factor of a 'your mother wears army boots' type of insult).

I don't fully understand what your trying to do here, you seem to be all over the place, in a not making sense kind of way. I don't see any posts on this thread that mention anime up until this point. So either you're trying to distract us somehow... this is some kind of weird social psych experiment (if so, I don't see how you managed to get ethical clearance), or you may want to consider seeing a psychologist yourself (even if this isn't how you act in real life, the disinhibiting effect of the anonymousness of the internet might be bringing to the surface a possible latent personality disorder... if this is the case I wish you the best of luck)

Radzilla

Smash Rookie
I agree, people can be insensitive and very closed off to the world, not excepting other people for who they are, being immature.. etc. etc.

This is all the more increased on the internet due to the anonymousness the internet grants. We hide behind our avatars and say things to total strangers that we would never say in real life. it's a fact, this anonymousness is disinhibiting socially.
A very true point I hear brought up often. To me, the anonymity that allows people to fling around insults in a manner they would not dare in person is the same anonymity that allows people to easily ignore such insults if they so choose. It is very easy to ignore internet insults compared to real life harassment. So, to me, it is kind of a wash. What do you think about it? I will venture a guess that you think this behavior is a bad thing, but I could be wrong. Might as well use this thread for useful discussion (if forum posts can be called that) since this thread was derailed from the very beginning due to the TC's lack of coherent posting ability.

Matsuyama

Smash Cadet
I still say his dad can beat yours up.

xxhyosukexx

Smash Apprentice
this thread is win.endlessly entertaining,especially seeing as I'm reading it on campus.being a sociology major,i gleaned massive amounts of lulz from the previous unecessary bickering.

anyone that threatens another or puts another down in online form is a sadddddd panda indeed.although the grammar wars was good stuff.
me fail english?thats unpossible!
have fun with that kids.I'm done with classes for the day so I'm gonna go play smash and be entertained.
:0

Flarefox

Smash Ace
I started typing paragraphs, but I'll just use a sentence to sum this up. This thread is pointless, and pride is stupid.

Radzilla

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't call pride inherently stupid; it is when it is so excessive that it oozes from every pore in your body, much like the TC has displayed, that it becomes a problem.

TempestFunk

Smash Cadet
A very true point I hear brought up often. To me, the anonymity that allows people to fling around insults in a manner they would not dare in person is the same anonymity that allows people to easily ignore such insults if they so choose. It is very easy to ignore internet insults compared to real life harassment. So, to me, it is kind of a wash. What do you think about it? I will venture a guess that you think this behavior is a bad thing, but I could be wrong. Might as well use this thread for useful discussion (if forum posts can be called that) since this thread was derailed from the very beginning due to the TC's lack of coherent posting ability.
I'm not sure if internet insults are harder to shrug off. An insult is an insult regardless of where it came from. In fact, an anonymous insult may be worse as the insultee may not have a chance to respond to the insulter and thus not get that degree of closure he/she would get otherwise. thankfully on a web-forum we all maintain a certain degree of recognizability due to screen names etc.
But yeah, I'd much rather have someone call me a loser to my face than send me a letter anonymously saying it.

I guess this phenomenon isn't all bad though. Look at all the people who met on the internet and got happily married and such. They could attribute their flirting and attraction to this disinhabitation. And happiness = good thing as far as I'm concerned.

So yeah, I don't think you can classify it as being good or bad. Things are never black and white afterall.

Flarefox

Smash Ace
I wouldn't call pride inherently stupid; it is when it is so excessive that it oozes from every pore in your body, much like the TC has displayed, that it becomes a problem.
I would. Although pride is almost definitely bad when it "oozes" all over the place, it does influence societies in positive ways. That doesn't mean that it isn't stupid, however. Stupid things can have positive affects in certain situations by coincidence, just as the notion of free will and religious beliefs sometimes do. Just to be clear, by "stupid," I am describing ideas or things that we have no empirical reason to believe in. Illusions are everywhere. :D

Rather than having pride, people should be thankful for their successes or favorable attributes (whether they be physical or not). In reality, there is no part of you, not even a decision that you make, that you can be proud of without being inconsiderate (regardless of whether or not you are aware of it). Being thankful is always a good thing.

TempestFunk

Smash Cadet
Just to be clear, by "stupid," I am describing ideas or things that we have no empirical reason to believe in. Illusions are everywhere. :D
ooo, I'd be careful with that. Ever hear of Plato's Allegory of the cave?

Basically we can never be sure of anything, no matter what level of truth we posses they may always be a higher level of truth we are not even aware of. "Things we have no empirical reason to believe in" is inclusive to pretty much all things in the world.

But regardless, I personally think pride is a good thing in moderation, the same is true for all things. It's only in excess and deprivation that things become harmful

Flarefox

Smash Ace
ooo, I'd be careful with that. Ever hear of Plato's Allegory of the cave?

Basically we can never be sure of anything, no matter what level of truth we posses they may always be a higher level of truth we are not even aware of. "Things we have no empirical reason to believe in" is inclusive to pretty much all things in the world.

But regardless, I personally think pride is a good thing in moderation, the same is true for all things. It's only in excess and deprivation that things become harmful
I think that the most fundamental truth is scientific truth because of the observational nature of science, and I said "I think" because that is merely an opinion. At least, it's the closest that I can see human beings getting to truth (and that really was the basis for my last post).

I don't even know if "fundamental truth" is a meaningful phrase at all. Things just are. Things happen. Nevertheless, it's probably best that phrases like "fundamental truth" remain so ambiguous, because if we ever came close to reaching it, most common people would probably be very disappointed and lots of bad things like war and death would result.

TempestFunk

Smash Cadet
It's probably best that phrases like "fundamental truth" remain so ambiguous, because if we ever came close to reaching it, most common people would probably be very disappointed and lots of bad things like war and death would result.
Hah, human nature, it's true. That kind of thing can be seen everywhere: Final roster for brawl reviled (fundamental truth) "omg, ridley, geno, and krystal are not playable characters!" (disappointment) About 100000 threads about how much Sakurai sucks springs up (war and death)

same trend, smaller scale :laugh:

hahahahaaaaa.... we're all doomed :urg:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
When I was a kid I had hopes and dreams. We all did. But over time, the daily grind gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now. Good luck
Your attempted point is "make the best of a bad situation", which is understandable and even laudable.

However, this is THE place to go to complain about the issues in Brawl (of which I haven't done, I might add). Hate to break it to you, but the people complaining about Brawl belong here more than those offering generalist advice which doesn't directly even apply to Brawl.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
im still trying to figure out who the OP was talking to in the original post, but around page 4 you guys really steped this up to a really influential, really intellectual conversation. kudos to you guys

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
psycholgy major = someone who wants to study human interactions and behavior and make money off of it by helping other people. but if u truly understood human psycology then u wouldnt need to take classes on it, the only point in studying it, is using it to make money. having a high i.q doesnt make u a better person, using ur knowledge to help other people without making money off of it would actually make u somebody...

Helping people is one thing but bringing it into smashbards is truly pathetic, im pathetic for posting in this thread...

Pvt. Falcon

Smash Apprentice
I have a hard time believing anyone on this board is tough in real life.

I really, really do.
I have no need for brawn, nor will I ever. I've never gotten in any fights at school, although it is still possible... so I guess you're right about me, lulz

Flarefox

Smash Ace
psycholgy major = someone who wants to study human interactions and behavior and make money off of it by helping other people. but if u truly understood human psycology then u wouldnt need to take classes on it, the only point in studying it, is using it to make money. having a high i.q doesnt make u a better person, using ur knowledge to help other people without making money off of it would actually make u somebody...

Helping people is one thing but bringing it into smashbards is truly pathetic, im pathetic for posting in this thread...
Very true; I would be so much happier if I were a little stupider than I already am, and I mean that sincerely.

celltech

Smash Rookie
@Typh

no big deal? are you aware i'm driving 800 miles a day and its NO BIG DEAL.. dude, maybe you've never had a ****ing gun pointed at your head or even been put in cuffs but i'm running like a mother****er yesterday i had a goddammned county sheriff run the plates on my rental and had to ditch him in some swamp in a state i wont even mention and youre talking about RISK? website my *** this is my ****ing life here so maybe you should just call your college and fess up and maybe you wont get YOUR *** pounded in a federal lockup for the next 3-5

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Argumentum ad Hominem: Directly attacking a person instead of focusing on the argument.

Did you learn nothing in college?

I'm starting at MIT in the fall, I have a government job where I make 35,000 a year, and my IQ falls somewhere around 155. If you really want to start a **** measuring contest, there's the ruler.

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
I'm starting at MIT in the fall, I have a government job where I make 35,000 a year, and my IQ falls somewhere around 155. If you really want to start a **** measuring contest, there's the ruler.
And people have a tendency to overcompensate for their lack of certain...traits. We just found out how you're overcompensating. If you're done being and egocentric fallacy-driven individual you can focus on people who are trying to actually spark a debate with you instead of trying to show off against troll bait.

xl Lan lx

Smash Apprentice
No offense, but MIT isn't like the best school ever or anything.

And I know a girl who makes like $100,000 as an engineer and she's only around 23. Quite interesting hm?

Fugue

Smash Apprentice
This is a very interesting thread. There's some words from Typh, then a wave of insults and responses, then there's another comment by Type, and so on. The thing is, none of Typh's posts have anything to do with any other posts in the thread, except every once in a while it'll reference one of his own. It's like someone took two completely different discussions and merged them together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom