• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Possibility of Banning Marth

Status
Not open for further replies.

xS A M U R A Ix

Smash Ace
Alright I know this is going to get flamed a lot but I wanted to ask something about this and bring up some points, so bare with me.

I know the game has barely been out for but a month or so now, but all over the place, in videos and in discussions, I hear talks of how better Marth is than the rest of the cast. He has amazing kill power, speed, range, safety, he's the only character as of now that is KNOWN to have invincibility on one of his moves (sakurai wanted to turn marth into a shoto from street fighter, up B has 5 frames of invincibility sort of like a shoryuken). Everything he has seems better than everything else any other character has.

All I see is extreme unbalance. I'm in no rush to run off and ban the character now, but in the future if the game develops and pans out and we find out that Marth towers above the rest of the cast in every way possible, and tournaments degenerate into Marth vs. Marth, I feel like it might actually be a warranted course of action. If a character is truly so good that he waters down the gameplay and completely outclasses every other character in the game, I seriously feel like it should be done. If the rest of the cast turns out to be balanced and there's no other character that completely just dominates, it should be an easy choice. That way there could be character diversity and more even tiers.

But like I said things need to play out a bit and we need to see how the meta game evolves. How does everyone else feel about this?

ExplosiveDuck

Smash Rookie
I personally don't think the Brawl team would have put as much time into Brawl as they did without being absolutely sure that the game wouldn't be broken by a character being way powerful.

I have faith that Marth isn't as good as people make him out to be.
Not that I want him to be bad, but he's gotta be in his right place.

--

BUT, if it became broken, I don't see anything wrong with banning him.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Marth is actually beatable this time around...Unless I'm missing something.

Yes he's probably top tier. He was still really good in Melee, yet that didn't stop really amazing people from beating him with all sorts of bottom tier **** (although it happens rarely I admit). Many characters are much better than they were in Melee, so even though Marth is still too good, many characters have closed the competitive gap significantly, even if they're not better than him. Look at characters like Zelda, Bowser, G&W, the like.

Bli33ard

Smash Journeyman
Marth's probably reached his potential already. Other characters will soon surpass that biatch ;)

Weed

Smash Lord
Banning a character entirely would be hilarious

edit: also his recovery sucks from what ive seen

ExplosiveDuck

Smash Rookie
I'm really happy about G&W getting to be so good so far.

I'm just digging Brawl's NEW top tier, even if the tiers come out and there is a distinct tournament "character list" like in Melee, I'll be happy to see a hell of a lot more Olimar's and Bowser's and G&W's.. I'm sick of watching Marth VS Falco 500 times in a year.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I know the game has barely been out for but a month or so now, but all over the place, in videos and in discussions, I hear talks of how better Marth is than the rest of the cast. He has amazing kill power, speed, range, safety, he's the only character as of now that is KNOWN to have invincibility on one of his moves (sakurai wanted to turn marth into a shoto from street fighter, up B has 5 frames of invincibility sort of like a shoryuken). Everything he has seems better than everything else any other character has.
No he isn't. A lot of Up Bs have invincinbility frames. Ike's even got Super Armor.

5 invincibility frames on Up B does not a broken character make. Marth is Top Tier, hands down. But he's not bannable because then you'd have to ban other characters too.

All I see is extreme unbalance. I'm in no rush to run off and ban the character now, but in the future if the game develops and pans out and we find out that Marth towers above the rest of the cast in every way possible, and tournaments degenerate into Marth vs. Marth, I feel like it might actually be a warranted course of action. If a character is truly so good that he waters down the gameplay and completely outclasses every other character in the game, I seriously feel like it should be done. If the rest of the cast turns out to be balanced and there's no other character that completely just dominates, it should be an easy choice. That way there could be character diversity and more even tiers.
It's not that bad... yet.

xS A M U R A Ix

Smash Ace
No he isn't. A lot of Up Bs have invincinbility frames. Ike's even got Super Armor.
Yeah I knew about Ike's but his up B doesn't KO or have that an awesome hit box right off the bat like Marth's.

Who else has invincibility on up B though out of curiosity?

And like I said, it's not that bad YET, but if it does get that bad, would people be willing to take the step to make it a better game competitively?

orintemple

Smash Lord
Marth is probably just really easy to learn so the people playing Brawl regularly already have probably gotten him a lot closer to max potential than anyone else. He is probably going to end up the "Shiek" of Brawl, super easy to learn but dangerously good at the same time.

Many characters I bet still need time but in a few years Marth probably won't be as overpowered as he seems now.

2L84U

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I knew about Ike's but his up B doesn't KO or have that an awesome hit box right off the bat like Marth's.

Who else has invincibility on up B though out of curiosity?

And like I said, it's not that bad YET, but if it does get that bad, would people be willing to take the step to make it a better game competitively?
I don't see Marth's N-B kills better than Ike's.

Its just Marth's moves are so deeply developed for gameplay you know how to be good using him. The others will catch up after a while. I look foward for Lucario.

Arias

Smash Rookie
If you were to ban Marth, then you'd have people whining to ban other characters for whatever reasons.

Sure, we don't want it to be Marth vs Marth all the time - but letting it fall to the point where it's Yoshi vs Yoshi all the time because that's just about all that's left would be pretty sad too.

In any case, I doubt the game is quite that broken. It's been out a month, and only in Japan.

In all likelynes, the reports of Marth being godly are a result of a couple of things;
1) Yes, he's a good character
2) There were a lot of people that mained Marth in Melee; thus, a lot of people with experience at handling Marth already. So naturally, with so many competitive Marth players around, he's going to seemingly outshadow the competition until people can formulate strategies with newer characters.

Ced The Lad

Smash Apprentice
His overall game made a smooth transition to brawl and this is probably why many are so good with him. Others have also had smooth transitions but not many of them were as popular as Marth. I have to agree with those who have said that we should wait a while to see when the other characters hit meta-game status and then do the comparison.

On a related note, I'm impressed with the lack of flaming so far. This had a lot of potential to get out of hand since discussions on banning tends to do that.

Hope I didn't jinx it.

JoeyOnly

Smash Apprentice
preach on brotha! as I've said before when asked why Marth should be banned:

disjointed hit box. everybody else has to fight with their hands, what makes him so special? invincibility frames, everybody else has to take damage, what makes him so special? IASA frames, everybody else has to see their moves through, what makes him so special? Japanese voice, everybody else has to speak English, what makes him so special? Tiara, everybody else is a hard working hero/villian/damsel in distress, what makes him so special?

In conclusion, ban Marth.

Q.E.D.

let's make it happen people!

orintemple

Smash Lord

disjointed hit box. everybody else has to fight with their hands, what makes him so special? invincibility frames, everybody else has to take damage, what makes him so special? IASA frames, everybody else has to see their moves through, what makes him so special? Japanese voice, everybody else has to speak English, what makes him so special? Tiara, everybody else is a hard working hero/villian/damsel in distress, what makes him so special?

Q.E.D.

I hope this was a joke...

How about we play the game first and make a tier list before we start banning characters.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
if you visit the Samus forums at all you can see that Marth isn't as unbalanced as people make him out to be. Samus is quite capable of stoping Marth's approach and KO'ing him, even if thats only becase of her grapple. No, shes not quite a counter but she can take him and I'm sure others will find (if they haven't already) ways to take him down with the other characters.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427

Q.E.D.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Best post in this topic.

Ken34

Smash Journeyman

Q.E.D.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL. this post was great.

Again.

What

The

****?!
lol, agreed. marth is nowhere near bannable, donkey kong can handle his ***....

rtmcs1017

Smash Cadet
lol banning a char. This is madness...
nope..

THIS...

IS...

Nevermind, not gonna say it.

..SPARTAAAA

f%@#.

anyway, don't ban Marth. Whiners make playing this game hard enough already, allowing them to win is TEH BADSAUCE (by the way, not calling the original poster a whiner, but I know countless people who DO whine about Marth that main Sheik. roffel).

Nasanieru

Smash Journeyman
I mained Marth in Melee, and I'd say he did have an edge (no pun intended) on the other characters. But then again so did Fox with his broken as hell waveshine/other shine-techs. In Brawl if he turns out to be ridiculously stronger than everyone else later on then I might take it into consideration.

EDIT: scrap that thought. After thinking about it I don't think banning him would be the solution

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
For the record I made a thread in the Marth forums about how to deal with Zair.

KernelColonel

Smash Journeyman
No Marths, no Foxes, all items, 75m, 3 player, 4 minute KO-fest, you and me, right the **** now.

It might just be me but I find the OP has raised a stupid question in a reasonable voice. In regards to an answer, character banning simply won't happen. Unless they made Giga Bowser with Sonic-speed, Jigglypuff-size, and Marth-range as a selectable character...which I'm sure they didn't....all characters will stay free game.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
This is a horrible idea, and the fact that someone's discussing it SO EARLY in te game's life is horrendous. A tier list won't be out for a year, there's no way a character is going to be banned unless there was a HUGE advantage, like having a final Smash as a regular move.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
The only way Marth could be banned was if he had SNK syndrome. (think Gill, Night Terror, or Rugal) He clearly does not as it is quite possible to beat him consistently.

180OP

Smash Journeyman
His point is that IF and only IF Marth is ridiculously better than all the other characters...and this will be determined by pro tourney results....then the only solution to stopping the game degrading into Marth vs Marths is to ban him.

In Melee it was different because he didn''t have a monopoly in dominance although probably 40% market share? Falco, Fox, Sheik were there too.

Xgamer245

Smash Cadet
as I main Marth for non tier related reasons....
NO NO NO NO NO >.>
His range is lower this time around and down air has lower hit chance...if anything if your talking about banning....well he was better in melee I heard....so NO.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
His point is that IF and only IF Marth is ridiculously better than all the other characters...and this will be determined by pro tourney results....then the only solution to stopping the game degrading into Marth vs Marths is to ban him.

In Melee it was different because he didn''t have a monopoly in dominance although probably 40% market share? Falco, Fox, Sheik were there too.
And he's basing it on, what? The fact that Marth's considered a shoe-in for Top Tier at the moment? So are other characters. I guess we should be considering a ban on them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom