• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Pond - Greninja General Discussion

Crudele

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xbulsajawnx
*COUGH*

ANYWAY

Anyone going to any big tournaments that are coming up? Love to see some more Greninja rep.
I'm going to be repping gekkouga tomorrow at Smash Haven #3, I think shofu is streaming it and some decently big names (EE, seagull joe, nakat, etc) will be there. Please wish me luck froggie folk!

Also, I've sort of been lurking for the past week or so for greninja tips and advice in these forums. Hi.

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
I play Greeninja most since green's my favorite color, though I play black/semi-shiny pretty often as well as default and silver.
I'm planning on going to SKTAR. Really trying to grind up my skill before then.
My mom's not letting me go. Considering that I start college in September, my potential tournament life is pretty much dead. :/

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
I have no idea what the inspiration for any of the colors are. They aren't references to other frog/ toad Pokemon, they aren't references to the other Gen 6 starters, they aren't references to previous Water starters. What even are they other than default and (not-quite-accurate) shiny?

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
I have no idea what the inspiration for any of the colors are. They aren't references to other frog/ toad Pokemon, they aren't references to the other Gen 6 starters, they aren't references to previous Water starters. What even are they other than default and (not-quite-accurate) shiny?
I think the other palette swaps are just there to be there. Mewtwo and Lucario are similar cases where the colors aren't supposed to be references to anything.

Last edited:

Crudele

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xbulsajawnx
I think pink is supposed to be Lickitounge? *shrug*

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
I play Greeninja most since green's my favorite color, though I play black/semi-shiny pretty often as well as default and silver.

My mom's not letting me go. Considering that I start college in September, my potential tournament life is pretty much dead. :/
Awww, man. I was looking forward to meeting you. :c

Ah well, that's some important stuff. Good luck in the future!

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
When I use purple, I use the dark purple.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
i use whatever color matches my mood that day

Space thing

Smash Apprentice
So I Substitute spiked a Pikachu who was using jolts to cover is recovery today. I've done something similar against Villager. Seems situationally useful. Also looks super pro.

Kace Mono

Smash Cadet
Redninja all the way. My favourite colour XD

The Substitute works really well for ranged situations like that.

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Hi Greninja mains im not really the social type of person but I just wanted to introduce myself hope to get a chance to play you all in the future!

Last edited:

Marilink

Smash Journeyman
Greyninja is clearly the superior color.

Also, I have fallen behind in the Greninja metagame. I need to get back into the swing of things if I hope to make the Wisconsin PR now.

Spirst

If the pink alt was to be patched out of the game next update, I don't even think I would notice.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Standard Greninja would work for Standard MK.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Tournament this Saturday and its almost here. This time, intend to go Greninja for the majority of it instead of Mega Man unless I feel I really need 2 as a last resort. It probably might get me into losers early and decrease how far I get in the tournament, but I intend to use this as an oppurtunity to actually get good with Greninja. Gotta get my Greninja to be equally good with my Mega Man and show those foos whose the best Greninja in AZ, people have slept on it long enough.

Haven't played since last Saturday tho, wonder how that'll affect me.

Viewtiful Rain

Smash Cadet
NNID
RainAensland
3DS FC
4253-4551-9145
Hey guys, I'm actually learning Greninja so any tips I will take gladly because honestly I feel like my Greninja needs work.

TheRealDonquavious

Smash Cadet
Patience. Patience in learning the character and patience in playing him. Wait for your opportunity before punishing, you can't just press buttons with this character. Know the character inside and out, you have to know timing and spacing on nairs, fairs, up smashes, and combos. Always be moving. Greninjas greatest strength is his incredible mobility, you must use this to your absolute advantage and very rarely sit in shield. Practice a lot as well, just keep practicing

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I'm actually learning Greninja so any tips I will take gladly because honestly I feel like my Greninja needs work.
Punish with jab if you have to shield, grab is way too slow. Ideally don't get caught in shield though.
Practice forward air spacing.
Don't forget about Shuriken.
Don't use Shadow Sneak in neutral. Eventually you'll get a feel for when to use it as a punish or a read.
Don't forget about Hydro Pump either. It can really annoy people in the air and on the ground and help you land safely.
You always need to be tricky. Greninja is overall not that safe, but has a number of moves that put the opponent into position for a dash grab, a crossup neutral air, dash under up smash and so on.

Viewtiful Rain

Smash Cadet
NNID
RainAensland
3DS FC
4253-4551-9145
Punish with jab if you have to shield, grab is way too slow. Ideally don't get caught in shield though.
Practice forward air spacing.
Don't forget about Shuriken.
Don't use Shadow Sneak in neutral. Eventually you'll get a feel for when to use it as a punish or a read.
Don't forget about Hydro Pump either. It can really annoy people in the air and on the ground and help you land safely.
You always need to be tricky. Greninja is overall not that safe, but has a number of moves that put the opponent into position for a dash grab, a crossup neutral air, dash under up smash and so on.
have you tried water shuriken after Down air, it reduces the end lag. I love using Hydro pump, I use to get around the stage and to gimp so great minds think alike :)

Viewtiful Rain

Smash Cadet
NNID
RainAensland
3DS FC
4253-4551-9145
Where are you getting this from?
I saw someone on youtube do it and i tried it out in training mode. If I said something wrong then my fault, I'm still trying to see why it was done in mid combo. I mean it keeps him in the air for a bit so maybe canceling is a poor choice of words on my part. Here's the video

Spirst

I saw someone on youtube do it and i tried it out in training mode. If I said something wrong then my fault, I'm still trying to see why it was done in mid combo. I mean it keeps him in the air for a bit so maybe canceling is a poor choice of words on my part. Here's the video
Oh, you're talking about the footstool combos.

Yeah, it's not cancelling the endlag frames from the dair. Aerial shuriken has the property of stalling a bit in the air. It's done so that the second falling nair can connect. If you do nair/dtilt>footstool and don't water shuriken, you can't really followup with a falling nair since you'll be hitting too soon.

Last edited:

Viewtiful Rain

Smash Cadet
NNID
RainAensland
3DS FC
4253-4551-9145
Oh, you're talking about the footstool combos.

Yeah, it's not cancelling the endlag frames from the dair. Aerial shuriken has the property of stalling a bit in the air. It's done so that the second falling nair can connect. If you do nair/dtilt>footstool and don't water shuriken, you can't really followup with a falling nair since you'll be hitting too soon.
Can't get the footstool timing yet but down air with air water shuriken seems to throw people off from my experience.

Spirst

Can't get the footstool timing yet but down air with air water shuriken seems to throw people off from my experience.
It takes a good amount of grinding. I'm able to do it semi-consistently now after having practiced it on different characters for hours on training mode and then trying it in high pressure scenarios during actual games. Good things to keep in mind is the overlap of Greninja's hurtbox with the other character. It's easier to do it from a nair>dtilt when you're more 'inside' the other character during the hit. Try experimenting with it and eying when it's most effective. Also, it's good to know general percents when the footstool links are easier to do. Fastfallers like Fox are harder to nair>footstool at low percents while you shouldn't have the same difficulty with a character like, say, Mewtwo.

Dtilt, I believe, also extends into footstool at later percents than nair does. At Mega Man, you can still walk dtilt>footstool>Dair while the nair setup doesn't seem to work anymore. Just some stuff to keep note of.

Last edited:

Viewtiful Rain

Smash Cadet
NNID
RainAensland
3DS FC
4253-4551-9145
It takes a good amount of grinding. I'm able to do it semi-consistently now after having practiced it on different characters for hours on training mode and then trying it in high pressure scenarios during actual games. Good things to keep in mind is the overlap of Greninja's hurtbox with the other character. It's easier to do it from a nair>dtilt when you're more 'inside' the other character during the hit. Try experimenting with it and eying when it's most effective. Also, it's good to know general percents when the footstool links are easier to do. Fastfallers like Fox are harder to nair>footstool at low percents while you shouldn't have the same difficulty with a character like, say, Mewtwo.

Dtilt, I believe, also extends into footstool at later percents than nair does. At Mega Man, you can still walk dtilt>footstool>Dair while the nair setup doesn't seem to work anymore. Just some stuff to keep note of.
I'll keep that in mind when I'm practicing.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
Hey fellow Ninjas, I'm curious as to how Greninja is placed on the tier list. I've seen a few saying A/B tier, I moreso agree with A than B, but nonetheless. Another thing is, I'm tempted to drop from 4(ish) mains down to 2. Right now I play: Lucina, Meta Knight, Mewtwo, and Lucario/Greninja. (and I STILL cannot decide between Lucario and Greninja) Lucina is likely going to stay, but I must think of another to cover her weaknesses. That's why I specifically wanted to ask, I want to see if you guys think Greninja would fit the bill for that character...if I truly decide drop down to 2 mains. Before someone brings up the "just stick to 1 main" idea, but I need a little more variety than that.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Greninja loses to Fox, Sheik and Sonic. If Lucina struggles with those two then you might want to look for someone else, otherwise Greninja is a solid pick.

Top Bottom