• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Pikmin Distant Planet Stage Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Percon

Smash Lord
Well, the stage LOOKS great, though it'll be tough to comment on it's features without actually playing it. The bouncy platform look like it'll either be really cool or really annoying - same goes for the rain.

It's hard to tell what the boundries are like. Is that hill a walk-off ledge? Is the stage buigger than it looks? Looks like we'll have to wait to see.

I'm a bit disappointed with this stage really, and not just because it came with a delay. And not because it's a bad looking stage either; in fact it seems quite fun to play (huge Red Bulborb!). It just seems that Sakurai could have been much more creative with a Pikmin stage, and I was kind of hoping there would be at least some aspect regarding the caves. But all will be well if the good stuff is being saved for the Subspace Emissary.

But on another sad note, it seems there will not be any more stages from the Pikmin series. I feel that Sakurai would have made the name of this one more specific if there were other areas to be used in Brawl. 'Distant Planet' sort of generalizes the whole place.

Smash Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Peacehaven, East Sussex, Good ol' England
Confusing, to say the least, but one of the stages im more interested in, methinks...

I like the way Sakurai balanced out both the walk-off edges by adding hazards... genious!

I also find it quite funny how you can generate our own items in this stage, as in my own stage idea ("Forest of Hope"... its in stage discussion.), one of the guys came up with an additional idea (the one in the first edit) that basically is like a guaranteed item when you hit a flying thing that comes down, very much like the onion...

Im not too sure about the bouncy part though... could be awesome... but has the same chance of being incedibly annoying... we need to see it in action.

Overall: 8.9/10
Very nice look, true to the series, and interesting. There will always be a lot going on, which is mainly a good thing, but could occasionally be bad. There are a lot of "gimmicks", BUT they are they for good reason (balancing walk-offs), AND they look a lot more fun than most hazards on other stages. The level design itself is also very unique, and is a welcome variation, with steep slopes, a tree, and a bouncy platform. The latter MAY be a not-so-good addition, however. Basically, one of the best "party stages" and could be a good place to practice techniques, as it keeps you on your toes and does sem like a bit of an assault course (lol), just like the original Pikmin games. Unfortunately, pros wont se much of this, as it WILL be tourney-banned. I LOVE IT :D

TheLastHero

Smash Apprentice
I love this stage! =D It's a fairly decent size, one of the more unique stages shown so far, looks good and it's PIKMIN XD

The springy platform is a new idea, as is the water hazard, and the MASSIVE Bulborb is interesting too. I'm wondering if it will be like a Venus Flytrap, where if ou land on it it "eats"you, or you can stand on it for a while but eventually it flips you. :p All I know it that it looks fun, and I'll be using it a fair bit. The item spawning from the Onions looks interesting too.

stepmaniers13

Smash Cadet
But on another sad note, it seems there will not be any more stages from the Pikmin series. I feel that Sakurai would have made the name of this one more specific if there were other areas to be used in Brawl. 'Distant Planet' sort of generalizes the whole place.
I may not have played much Pikmin but didn't Pikmin 2 have a dungeon-like area as well while also taking place on a new planet?
You never know. There could be multiple Pikmin stages or it could just be the one. Won't know until release.

As for the stage itself, another stage for me to battle on. I like it.

Smash Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Peacehaven, East Sussex, Good ol' England
I may not have played much Pikmin but didn't Pikmin 2 have a dungeon-like area as well while also taking place on a new planet?
You never know. There could be multiple Pikmin stages or it could just be the one. Won't know until release.

As for the stage itself, another stage for me to battle on. I like it.
Dungeon-like areas: Yes. :)
New planet: No. :ohwell:
Multiple Pikmin stages: I want to say yes, but it has to be a "maybe" :(
Wont know until release: D*mn straight... ;)
You like it: So do I :)

SUPER-SMILEY-REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mambo

Smash Journeyman
The stage is looking very nice. It has a very detailed feel. Gameplay wise, it's hard to say. I think it'll fun but maybe not competative.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
This stage is the kind of stage I've been wanting to see in the game. It's not some boring platform floating in the middle of no where.

Good job Sakurai. ^_^

OhCripe119

Smash Apprentice
But when Mario's standing on the leaf, it doesn't look like tall people (maybe even short people) can get under it without doing the new crawl thing (which I imagine is not the quickest way of travel). So I'm not sure about that aspect. And the far left leaf looks pretty low to start with. Also, when Olimar is tether-recovering the Pikmin have hold of the tree, but that branch looks very steep, so can you actually fight there or is it just a way for people with tether-recovery to survive even more easily?

Edit: Actually, at second glance, I'm not even sure the Pikmin in the tether-recovery picture actually have a hold of the branch. Alos, to those who are complaining that the Bulborb in the background doesn't move, if you look at it's eyes, it looks like it's sleeping. So at the very least you may be able to see it breathing. Perhaps it'll even wake up sometimes.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
Captain Olimar and Samus have such an advantage on this level!

Three seconds into the match and everyone else dies of the toxins in the air!
Hate to tell you this, but the poisonous toxin on the Distant Planet... is OXYGEN!!!

Captain Olimar breathes Methane, don't you know!

G-X

Smash Apprentice
The first thing I noticed was the really detailed background which looked like it was from the actual game level and the creature was moving in the background. Though upon further inspection the creature does NOT move. In each picture you'll notice it's in the same position, even when the one comes and tries to eat you it's still in the same position....
Of course it is.

It's dead.

Anyway, Sakurai did say "let’s just call it the Distant Planet for now." That means there could be more stages, and Distant Planet might be called by its true name. Maybe this stage will be renamed:

Post-Apocalyptic Earth: Bulborb's Lair

...but not likely.

lavamage

Smash Ace
Wisconsin...yay that place no one has ever heard o

ahh it makes me want to swim...

anyway, I hate that this is a wlk off edge, but I like that its on a sorta angle, I suppose its comparable to yoshi's island (story?) with the yellow blocks (twitch twitch). I like this stage, seems really cool, as well as good representation of the Pikmin Series.

Of course it is.

It's dead.
No, it's just sleeping... They are nocturnal after all, and all they do while sleeping is breathe, so you wouldn't notice movement in a screenshot. Who knows, it might get up and bumble around during the course of the fight.

G-XAnyway said:
Sakurai did say "let’s just call it the Distant Planet for now." That means there could be more stages, and Distant Planet might be called by its true name. Maybe this stage will be renamed:

Post-Apocalyptic Earth: Bulborb's Lair
The planet is Earth, they just like to keep that as something assumed so they don't name it. But how does that quote mean there will be more Pikmin stages. If anything, as I explained before, it proves that there will not be any others. And lastly, stages don't get renamed. Sakurai doesn't think of a name on the spot while posting an update. How lame would the name 'Earth' be for a stage anyway?

M.K

Level 55
It's IRONIC!

It's called "Distant Planet", but it turns out that the Pikmin games took place on EARTH! LAWL.

I love this stage, it's brilliantly lit, gorgeous, and the Bulborb looks amazing!

TheMirrorTwin

Smash Cadet
I think this stage is awesome!

Though I do agree that it was hard to see in the picture. Also, I think that Bulborb will do damage and spit you out. Though in pikman, he ate them and you saw the little ghosts come out......

How sad.... the little pikman ghosts :_(

db777

Smash Cadet
i used to have pikmen the game. This stage looks really good to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom