• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The Picto Box - Toon Link Video & Critique Thread

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Welcome to the the Picto box!

Post your Toon Link videos here and have them critiqued by other users! However, please don't embed videos, as they will cause the page to lag a lot, so just post the link.

Thank you and have fun!

Last edited:

Jtails

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I was a decent TL in Brawl, was wondering if you had any tips on my TL play! He's completely different from what he was in Brawl, but here's a match, let me know what you guys think!

http://youtu.be/2ymBPZhkjAw

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunai KazeKun

Smash Apprentice
Well its difficult to give repsonse to your playstyle, if we didnt have the chance to play the game xD

But if you are going to zair, dont jump with zair into your opponent, just use the range you got!

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
@ Jtails Jtails

You're projectile game is really nice. You do a good job disrupting bombs and boomerang and following them up. You also mix them up nicely. You also had good use of bairs. You should try double jumping to string a couple more together since he can't do two in a short hop anymore. On that note, you do a lot of full hops and needlessly keep yourself in the air so be wary of that. Also, you went for a fair often when you approached by air. Fair has a lot of start up so I'd suggest going for more nairs instead. Finally, Zair is a great tool that you should take better advantage of. You used it a few times there but not nealy as much as you could have. It has great range and autocancels so definitely try to use it more.

Kunai KazeKun

Smash Apprentice
Just as advice,

Zair doesnt autocancel anymore. You will have landing lag, but its not that much if you would land with an airdodge.

Yackabean

"He's shooting arrows out his butt" ~ Scotland
NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
Have a bunch of stuff to upload here including new Toon link AT's along with returning brawl mechanics for Toon Link. I see people losing faith in him already but fear not. Bomb cancelling has taken over our beloved quickdraw :p

Last edited:

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
Chaining zair is a lot more difficult in this game. Zair > Nair is still quite hard to get as well since nairs hit box is actually tiny this time. Zair > grab still seems to be quite viable.

Also noticed grabbing out of arrows, bombs and rangs is quite good now since our grab now connects in the air!

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
@ Yackabean Yackabean I like your video. So far the BLC i have learned pretty well, i find myself using the BFO dair lag cancel which works quite well. I liked what you did at the end to recover (zair > fsmash). Im trying to learn that since ive been really bad at recovering from a ledge so far

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
Thanks! The zair > F-smash was an interesting mix up for getting back on. Unfortunately air dodge zairing back on has been nerfed and the only way to make airdodge zair work now is with BLC. Meaning no F-smash lol. You might be able to follow up the bomb though with a fair? :p

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
Hey guys i got a video of some Toon Link For Glory gameplay. Hope i can get some nice constructive criticism on it.

Summary: Toon Link vs. Bowser Jr.; tried doing some boomerangs > fair combos quite a bit; had a nice BFO > BLC > Fair kill; tried to do a Zair > BLC for the last stock

Enjoy :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsaUQlX9SLw#t=25

Last edited:

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
Needs moar Bombs!
Lol ofc I would say that I'm a maniac when it comes to bombs. Some pretty solid stuff there. Just keep investing BLC more in to your playstyle and you'll get there! :p

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
Needs moar Bombs!
Lol ofc I would say that I'm a maniac when it comes to bombs. Some pretty solid stuff there. Just keep investing BLC more in to your playstyle and you'll get there! :p
Lol thx! I realized that I was a bit slow also. Luckily, I just finished playing this INSANE Luigi for about an hour straight that was all up in my grill. I learned to be a lot quicker and more bomb reliant thanks to him. I will be putting another one showing (hopefully) improvements lol

The one tech i haven't been using is Zair > BLC, which I actually don't know when to use? Do i use it when im falling towards an opponent? Or just when an opponent gets close to create spacing?

But thanks for the reply :)

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
Zair feels weirder in this game especially cause it has stronger knockback making zair > nair harder. But BLC'ing after zair makes nair easier to run in and connect!

Its cool seeing lunchables have almost the exact same playstyle as my toon link! Never actually watched him yet. His bomb play is very good, just how it should be. lunchable is showing how good and important BLC is to our metagame now.

Legend28469

Smash Cadet
NNID
Legend28469
Here is another Toon Link from some tourney. www. youtube .com/watch?v=r_fCDeuYAsY

sorry for seperation < 10 posts

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
@ L Legend28469 Wow i like your TLink a lot. Especially your bomb usage. I have a tendency to use more arrows instead of bombs, but i might convert now lol I also like your Grabs. I never seem to know when to grab, but your video taught me that bomb throw > Grab can work vaibly. WIll def re watch to learn more.

As far as improvements, i have no idea lol since im nowhere near as good as you yet

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
That attempt at SHDA in the beginning lol. Seems like he's not long converted from brawl :p he should move around a bit more when throwing projectiles instead of sitting in one spot

D

Deleted member

I don't know how I feel about tink or smash 4. Tink feels mid tier, just like brawl and pm

posting to say hi and so I'm subbed to this thread

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I don't know how I feel about tink or smash 4. Tink feels mid tier, just like brawl and pm

posting to say hi and so I'm subbed to this thread
Hey Lunchables, thanks for the great TL videos at Shockwave.

I have to agree with you, Toon Link feels very...balanced.
Against people who aren't in his face, and don't know how to shield, Toon Link destroys. But at the higher levels with sheik, greninja, and sonic for example who can get in fast, it's definitely going to be tough.

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
I had a tough match against a Robin on NintendoDojo's ladder last night. He / She is a prime example of a character who can just sit on the otherside shielding and blasting thorons and arc fires. This has kind of shocked me because I'm beginning to realise Toon Link isn't really that heavily annoying campy character now. He's more manageable to some characters unlike in brawl where you had to camp 24/7 and it practically worked. This game (or at least Toon Link in general) seems to reward going in after a projectile connects. I always kind of played that kind of way in brawl anyway. And I prefer the mixed camping / projectile combo game anyway!

I'd say this Toon Link fits me the best out of all 3 and I did lose interest in PM as of recent. But in general, full out camping just doesn't seem as effective as it was before which to be truthfully honest. I kind of expected it. With the loss of quickdraw which was a huge spacing tool. Also our bair is much slower. It's still a good get away option though like Zair.

D

Deleted member

From what I've noticed in this game, toonlink has some obvious problems that clearly make him not top tier

1. In this game, jumping isn't always a great option due to landing lag from air dodges and aerials. Well, toonlink has to constantly be jumping because if he pulls projectiles while standing, he's toast. He also doesn't have the greatest fast fall... so landing is even worse

2. shielding. Characters with great ground mobility (which is a lot of the higher tier characters) can run up and shield vs toonlinks projectiles and drop shield punish because toonlink has a lot of startup/end lag on his projectiles. This makes it so that you lose neutral vs a LOT of characters

3. Rosalina vs tink is pretty much cancer

D

Deleted member

From what I've noticed in this game, toonlink has some obvious problems that clearly make him not top tier

1. In this game, jumping isn't always a great option due to landing lag from air dodges and aerials. Well, toonlink has to constantly be jumping because if he pulls projectiles while standing, he's toast. He also doesn't have the greatest fast fall... so landing is even worse

2. shielding. Characters with great ground mobility (which is a lot of the higher tier characters) can run up and shield vs toonlinks projectiles and drop shield punish because toonlink has a lot of startup/end lag on his projectiles. This makes it so that you lose neutral vs a LOT of characters

YEEEEEEEEEEEP

You really have to outplay your opponent. I always bait out the run up shield and risk everything to get a grab. Sadly it works against actual players. However thats just a read if anything. TL vs sonic is impossible cause he has too much mobility for us to catch.

I've actually done pretty well in the Rosa MU, but I'd like to hear what problems you have with it it so I can put additional input. I'm not saying by any means its close to being good for us LOL

The only MUs I think we can do good or fine with are Megaman, Ness, ROB, and BJR. We do alright vs Diddy which is a plus.

PRGN

Smash Cadet
NNID
パラゴン
3DS FC
1891-1272-1580
Rosalina can be a real pain. I haven't seen many great rosaluma's yet. But sometimes it worked for me
if I tried to stay in between them, and try to bait rosa by faking attacks on luma.

D

Deleted member

rosalina vs toonlink

rosalina presses down B

F*CK
You have to bait this out and then either dash grab bthrow real quick, nair, fair, or zair->___. Literally the only way. Once you got the momentum it gets better, trust me.

Also, uploaded this earlier today but heres game 3 of me vs Xzax's robin from a socal tourney a few weeks back. I got 7/60 going all TL. Any advice, questions, or comments please I welcome it :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhT959VW5mA

also, heres a tourney match vs FS Zex (Lucario) I just uploaded today. He ended up getting 4th to outplace me even though I beat him in WB2 :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdL4yp3a82o&feature=youtu.be

Yackabean

NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
You have to bait this out and then either dash grab bthrow real quick, nair, fair, or zair->___. Literally the only way. Once you got the momentum it gets better, trust me.

Also, uploaded this earlier today but heres game 3 of me vs Xzax's robin from a socal tourney a few weeks back. I got 7/60 going all TL. Any advice, questions, or comments please I welcome it :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhT959VW5mA

also, heres a tourney match vs FS Zex (Lucario) I just uploaded today. He ended up getting 4th to outplace me even though I beat him in WB2 :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdL4yp3a82o&feature=youtu.be
Looking at your first video I'm seeing the first problem. Not enough spacing or ariel mix ups. Nair is so underated this time and RAR bair but people aren't used to using it yet.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Hey Lunchables, thanks for the great TL videos at Shockwave.

I have to agree with you, Toon Link feels very...balanced.
Against people who aren't in his face, and don't know how to shield, Toon Link destroys. But at the higher levels with sheik, greninja, and sonic for example who can get in fast, it's definitely going to be tough.
Pretty confident that fire arrows will turn that on its head.

Conda

Characters without projectiles feel this way. Fast melee characters feel this way. Heavies feel this way. Lightweights feel this way. Everyone feels this way.

Adjusting your approach and weighted options is important in very polarizing matchups. This isn't a 'toon link' issue, it's a player issue. Just because you have to adjust to defeat a certain character doesn't mean your character has a bad matchup against them, it means you can't fight them the same way you'd fight most other characters.

It's like saying reflector characters counter Toon Link - no, they don't. TLink's reflected stuff won't really make it back to him aside from Boomerang and Arrows, and fire arrows won't be very effective once reflected. Boomerangs suck when they get reflected, but if you NEED to use the boomerang and cannot adjust to not using it as much vs reflector characters, then that's an issue with how a player is playing TLink. It's like Lucario feeling reflectors counter him because aura sphere can be reflected - just don't rely on aura sphere in that matchup.

Challenge yourself to try different things in matches, rather than depend on projectiles. The 'sit back and arrows+boomerang+bomb' strategy is a good one and a fun one to get skilled at, but it cannot be the only way you know to use Toon Link. If it is, then many players will know how to deal with you, counterpick stages, and choose different characters against you.

I'm talking to all toon link players here - try some matches without using projectiles at all, and figure out ways to use the rest of TLink's kit until you don't feel disadvantaged against certain characters anymore.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I appreciate you guys shedding some light on stuff, but I don't think I'll be playing s4 competitively, and if I do I'll probably ***** it out and pick a good/top tier character. Sorry :(

Conda

I appreciate you guys shedding some light on stuff, but I don't think I'll be playing s4 competitively, and if I do I'll probably ***** it out and pick a good/top tier character. Sorry :(
That's cool and all, but I don't really see what this has to do with the thread.

D

Deleted member

As in like, I appreciate you guys talking to me about tink advice but I'm likely not going to even play this game/the character. I'm mostly here to just throw out my opinions and then leave, not get advice lol

Conda

As in like, I appreciate you guys talking to me about tink advice but I'm likely not going to even play this game/the character. I'm mostly here to just throw out my opinions and then leave, not get advice lol
But this isn't your thread, so it doesn't really matter. Normally when you lose interest in a thread, you simply stop posting; you don't let people know. It's not like we have anything to say in return, it just derails the thread awkwardly.

Last edited:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Please don't get involved in any more threads that you don't care about, its annoying to the thread participants.

Last edited:

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
I usually have problems with Toon Links forward smash, I miss his second slash most of the time.

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
I usually have problems with Toon Links forward smash, I miss his second slash most of the time.
I have the solution for you! You just have to delay the second slash a little.

I was in the same situation. I would finally get a punish and fsmash my opponent. But the second slash always missed! Well, if you've noticed, your opponent is usually a bit too high for your second slash to hit him once you hit him with the first. Therefore, after your first slash connects, pause a little, then send out your second slash. It will definitely hit your opponent.

Top Bottom