• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Pichu Matchup Thread

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
it's about as slow as his thunder(down-smash), NOT pika's thunder, pichu's is much faster so if you use it at low percents ,you sir are an idiot ,it could send marth just perfect length for a tipper , but at high percents it will Fu[k him up bad and down smash's side to side range is beaten by thunder's range , so it isn't really good for anything other than edge guard set up and people who don't know it can stage spike fox like }{ell

oh yeah pichu can NEARLY chain throw marth with down throw (if you try you may get a fair,but that's the only air that works for that maybe side B) ,but you can get a quick smash or up tilt and then grab again and then marth gets scared , because dude you are getting chained by pichu and your not fox and

you have a better shield and grab than pikachu and lower duck think mind-games on youtube (but he could grab you still)

better or is it bblfsvbsoba still

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
LOL.

Marth vs Pichu is NOT an easier matchup than Marth vs Pikachu.

Why are we discussing Thunder? It's a situational move that shouldn't be used offensively in almost any case.

Pichu's jolts can be knocked away by Marth's sword and you'll be doing nothing but damaging yourself by attempting to camp, so they should only be used to open up an approach.

If the Marth you're playing doesn't suck, you will NEVER shield grab him. Every move in his set will outrange your grab, and his own grab will go through your shield, most likely even outranging tactics like usmash OOS.

Really, your only hope is to abuse his mistakes and spotdodge aggresively, like spotdodge -> dsmash. Or, you could hit him with a jolt and hope you can follow it up with a nair or something.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
i was saying thunder has less cool-down than down smash and pichu has way better smashes than down smash and the backwards range of his up smash is about the same (range wise) and for pichu grabbing marth you should say you have a decent chance , because pichu has a {rap load of ways to get the grab here

a list :up tilt ,fair ,nair, B,up B, dair, bair at about 10% or 0% and if you l cancel and keep in mind 2 more things pichu's grab range is better than pika's and there are more ways to get a grab but these work on marth bair and dair are hard to get right so really pichu needs a gameplan for the throws (and it's a good thing I main the ice climbers)

i think pichu could down throw , up tilt grab. oh $hit :psycho:i'm being chain throwed by pichu then go fthrow to grab to switch it up

Monkey Wrench

Smash Apprentice
I wrote up a Marth summary, then the browser crashed >_<(Note to self: use notepad when writing summaries)

Bottom line, Marth is near impossible to approach and you need insane spotdodge, shielding, and prediction ability to do so. And IDK any way to CG Marth consistently, at best you have d-throw-u-tilt-u-tilt-nair? at low %s.

20-80.

Next character is up to you all, vote for this week's character discussion.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
ice climbers Ice climbers Ice climbers yeah (ic main) pichu is very very very hard to chain throw in any shape or form maybe d throw to dthrow but no IC does that unless its just popo and pichu can grab them before they grab him and that means b throw= NANA **** and when popo comes back throw nana at him lol pichu is faster and if popo DIs f smash then nana dies fast and they are floaty so up smash = quick death and their dair IS the worst (unless you are being chained). and there is 1 thing they can really do to hurt pichu smash like a madman it takes about 3 or 4 to kill pichu not even dash attack to upair to death works to pichu's up B if fact pichu would have the safe place

so avoid smashes and fair l-canceled to grab to b throw to **** or what ever you want to do

Monkey Wrench

Smash Apprentice
So... Ice Climbers it is then?

ICs: 2 big things to focus on here. Don't get grabbed, and separate them. This fight is all about the air. Keep them there. You'll be doing little, if any grabbing(or close combat) yourself; Pichu is tougher to grab and tougher to CG than most, but it's still not worth the risk. Jolts now and then can help set up an approach, but desynched blizzards are tough for Pichu to breach. Bait a smash or grab, then switch gears to offense. Quickly punish with a nair/uair, then follow up. Uair juggles, nair rush, etc. Overall, it's a battle for positioning. ICs want the fight to stay firmly on the ground, and Pichu wants an aerial fight.

35-65 or worse, simply because ICs can take and hold control of the match more easily.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
they will try chain throw you but they will fail(pichu then gets his chance). i main them and if you d throw dair chained him then you would have to basically dair before the throw and pichu can use nair or fair to up-smash or grab and you will have control over the whole thing and their dair sucks and just hope they don't smash (slower than a grab) because you will pay a huge price and that the biggest thing to worry about when you are grabbed

i think it's 40-60 pichu and the ice climbers and both people who just need one move to mess you up

BunBun

Smash Master
Also, if you somehow manage a grab, backthrow and go for the separation.

ICG, if you live in IN why don't you come to our tournaments. I want to see how good you are for all the smack you talk.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Um. IC dsmash is a frame faster than their grab, so I dunno where you're getting your info from.

Also, did you know that even a perfect jump cancel grab from Ice Climbers is a frame slower than their dash grab in terms of start up? Crazy.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
sorry i was thinking of f smash and up smash and a frame faster well i was wrong you are right and bunbun i am trying to go to the one at purdue on the 28th(something happened so i may not go) and for pichu yes i can talk, Ic vs pichu, pichu has alot of tools against them and keep in mind pichu's nair is LIKE the knee to knee to maybe another knee combo, but not as much knock-back and it's faster and harder to do and it gas a better chance to get a grab or up-smash

hey i have a theme song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA4_Or0IpBs

BunBun

Smash Master
sorry i was thinking of f smash and up smash and a frame faster well i was wrong you are right and bun bun i am trying to go to the one at purdue on the 28th(something happened so i may not go) and for pichu yes i can talk, Ic vs pichu, pichu has alot of tools against them and keep in mind pichu's nair is LIKE the knee to knee to maybe another knee combo, but not as much knock-back and it's faster and harder to do and it gas a better chance to get a grab or up-smash

There is no space in my name.

Also, none of what you said makes sense...

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
sorry let me rephrase that. 1. i want to go to the purdue tournament ,but may not due to the fact I have no ride

2.i can talk like that for pichu

3.pichu has many tools against the ice climbers and nair is like the knee but least knockback and it can give you a up smash

and it turns out i have a theme song

i just cover everything and add something new and just wondering if you ever play pichu

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
you can chain it LIKE the knee but harder to master and if you don't believe me go to training as pichu and mewtwo get him up to 20% and put in 1/4 speed because I doubt you have mastered it and SHFFL nair and if you do it right it ***** petty good and remember just because he's on the ground that doesn't mean he has his invainable frames yet

and trust me i try to find every little thing about pichu and nair to nair to nair to maybe another nair does work but not for pikachu because his goes to high in knockback as on it hits them up more than side to side

sorry for bad spelling

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
lol you don't chain the Knee like you chain the Nair at all.
People using the Knee aren't aiming to chain it, they want to kill with it.
Maybe they chain like 2, or epicly, 3.
lol SHFFLing the nair is easy business.
Basically in regards to the match up though, Pichu has like one or two tools against IC's.
Down Smash sort of separates them, kind of.
His throws can get them apart, to chase one away, and once it's down to one, it's not so bad.

Ratio wise, I'd say this is like...75:25.
IC's **** Pichu when together.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
dude their grab game only has wobbling and a charged smash on pichu so you can not chain throw him its like chain throwing j- puff .

tools : all of his smashes 1up easy kill 2 down works at high percents 3. forward ,popo may di but nana will not ,fair and = grab or up smash and even pichus shock when he holds them (it can hit other people) uair to juggle
its like 40-60 or 35-65 i the ICs flavor you are saying they hard as marth and there is nothing i repeat nothing pichu has on marth and pichu has alot of stuff against for pichu

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Grab, grab attack, blizzard, three grab attacks during blizzard then dthrow usmash is like thirty damage. Pichu can't take many of those.

Also, Pichu against Marth is like... 0-100. So 75-25 ICs is pretty reasonable.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
what if he jumped over them and used thunder and they could do that for a min. or 2 but in theory how each move has different timing and they go at the same rate they should rescynche. good idea

BunBun

Smash Master
Theoretically couldn't the IC's just spam desynched Dsmash and Fsmash and basically stop anything Pichu could ever hope to do since it can't ever hope to approach?
I'm sure you could somehow sneak a thunderjolt or a down air in there....maybe

And technically you could just jump thunder over them, but if the IC player is even half decent he'd just move...
The problem IC's would have spamming desynched dsmash fsmash is if they have to turn around. Good luck keeping the desynch well enough.

But seriously, this discussion is over. If the Pichu and IC players are anywhere near equal in skill, IC's probably have 80:20 on Pichu.

Next matchup I propose is the Samus matchup, because I can't do it. I can tell you what NOT to do...

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
hey why don't we put how to fight in this thread? it's pointless to play pichu and say why he sucks but not what he has, so we should have a what to do and what they will do.

samus =spam and very hard to combo and she has good range in the air and that hurts your air game combos and pichus nair , bair, upair, dair, 3/4 charged side B, up smash, down smash, up tilt, ftilt , B ,dtilt all cancel out her fully charged B ,but i don't know about side b but should work all i know is i would rather take on the ice climbers, just me

BunBun

Smash Master
A sucky bit of note on the missiles: If your Nair stales, you get hit T-T

You have no approach, really. Anything you can hit her with, she can crouch cancel and downsmash. That's if you space it correctly. If not, you eat a wd back fsmash. The only thing that I've found that even SORT of works, is fair to grab (risky) or dair at mid percents to buffered shield.

You could try and bait an opening or just push for a lucky hit by short hopping thunderjolt, but that damages you and doesn't really work. If you do manage to get the hit, jc grab fthrow and avoid her nair/fair her again. There's really not much else you can do.

UpB from shield ***** Pichu, especially on stages where the upB lines up with a platform.

For a final number... I'd say 80:20 wouldn't be unreasonable. Possibly more. I find this almost as hard to deal with as the Marth matchup

EDIT: Oh, also, wavedash out of shield is your friend here. It's like second nature, so I forgot to mention it, but more often than not, this is probably how you'll get inside Samus. Her moves are strong, have good range and come out relatively fast, but her smashes have enough lag for you to abuse. Do it.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Samus is impossible.

Anything you do to her shield can be UpBed and any move she does beats yours. Any approach can be beaten by her broken WD back (often out of shield) and she ***** you in a camping war.

There's no way in.

Like many of Pichu's matchups.

For practical advice, get close and try to like make her kill herself. Or space something on her (I don't know how you'd even do that or even what move you'd use) and block immediately afterwards because she can't grab or she can be punished (yay for exploitable weaknesses). Shield a ton.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Ah, how could I forget? The amazing pressure of spaced flying thunder.

Truly this is the tech of kings.

Does thunder stop missiles? I don't think it does but I can hope.

BunBun

Smash Master
Haha, all thunder jokes aside, I think we've covered the match completely.
80-20 or 85-15?

And the Samus week has lasted over a month XD
I propose we move on....to Peach!

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I never really understood the percentages for matchups... like... I feel like if Samus spams nairs/Screw Attack out of shield, Pichu has pretty much NOTHING he can do. But it still doesn't seem to sit well with people to put it at 100-0...

BunBun

Smash Master
I guess 10-0 is fine, but people are usually hesitant to say that because it implies that the Pichu would NEVER win.

Which, I guess, is probably true, but whatever.

Top Bottom