• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The People's Tournament

Guzzler Guzzler

Melee Elitist
Before I recount my experience from yesterday I just want to thank everyone who came out, this was a pretty sweet turnout and despite a few minor hiccups I think the tournament went very well.

In an effort to maintain full transparency I'd like to just take this space to write about my perspective of how things happened yesterday since there seems to be some confusion about what exactly happened yesterday.

Anyway so it all started when Tyler and I met with Keidrick (the manager of Quarters) about 1-2 months ago, it was our first time there and we were really impressed with the larger room they had there. This room was not the one we used but instead the much larger one in the front, I'm not sure if everyone got a chance to see it but it was easily a few times larger than the room we ended up in and it even had a bar and a stage. Anyway, Keidrick was unfamiliar with the smash scene but he was very intrigued by the idea of having a smash tournament, he even wanted to team up with gamestop in order to advertise but unfortunately we never got the ball rolling on that. Regardless the turnout was more then what we could have hoped for.

Tyler and I made the agreement with Keidrick to host the tournament at Quarters on the 20th with a $5 venue fee (all going to Quarters) and he said in exchange for the venue fee people would also be entitled to playing Laser Tag.

Fast forward to the date of the tournament, on my way to the venue I get a call from Logan (one of the TO's) who tells me that him and Tyler have arrived at the venue and had begun to setup but they had moved us to the back three rooms, apparently H&R Block paid Quarters $3,000 to rent the bigger room that we had been promised. Compare that to the ~$250 Keidrick would have made off of us I really have no qualms with his decision since he still gave us a room to play in and waived the venue fee. Unfortunately the room we ended up in smelled like feet so we had to grab some febreze and lysol to take care of the smell and then move a bunch of tables and setups in there afterwards. It was a bit of tight fit but it was a FREE venue with plenty of accommodations so I can't complain.

In regards to laser tag I didn't even bother asking Keidrick about it once he waived the venue fee since we all came to play Smashbros. I remember only one person who took the time to ask me about the laser tag situation and he didn't even enter any of the four tournaments.

In the future I plan to have a scale for payout next tournament, basically this means the more entrants we have the more spread out the pot is. I had this idea last minute and didn't want to change the payout so late because I thought that would be unfair. However since most turnouts are around 20 I think 60/30/10 is fine for those. But once you get to ~50 it should definitely change, especially with a $10 entry fee. Also it is more than likely the next PM tournament I host will be 3 stock. Aside from that I can't think of anything else to mention. Thanks again to everyone who showed up, hope we can get even more people to come next time.

Also shout outs to everyone who helped me TO, Sean, Steven, Logan, Ben, Matthew, and Taylor you guys rock

Results:

All events had a $10 entry fee ($5 per person for teams)

Project M Singles
- http://smashboards.com/rankings/the-peoples-tournament-project-m-singles.1618/event

48 Entrants

Top 8:
1. Drinking Food :rob:
2. Lee Martin :fox::ivysaur::mewtwopm:
3. TaylorHJ :fox:
4. Magi_ :link2:
5. V :metaknight:
5. Dope :dedede:
7. TRC_Arcadian | Owl :ivysaur:
7. Chkn :mewtwopm:

Project M Doubles

14 Entrants

1: Lee & V (Lee & V)
2: Team 2nd Place (Taylor HJ & Dope)
3: Water Temple (Magi & Hunter)
4: Drinking Causey (TC & DF)
5: Team 13 (Ram & Eric)
5: Henessy (Moiy & Bloo)
7: New Shroom Special (Trey and Tferg)
7: **** (Iceman & File)
9: Team MAgma (Leo & Satan)
9: Green for Shrek (Cats & M7)
9: Project Death (Lu1Dent Dan & Sean)
9: Risky Business (Risk & JDiz)
13: Captain Workout (Jman & Ooks)
13: Team Action Force (M & Stink)

Melee Singles - http://smashboards.com/rankings/the-peoples-tournament-melee-singles.1619/event

28 Entrants

Top 8:
1. TaylorHJ :marthmelee::foxmelee:
2. Lee Martin :foxmelee::sheikmelee:
3. Dope :falcomelee:
4. TRC_Arcadian | Owl :foxmelee::falcomelee:
5. Eet :peachmelee:
5. Brizz :marthmelee::samusmelee:
7. Citrus :jigglypuffmelee:
7. Shu:foxmelee:

Melee Doubles

10 Teams

1: Lee + Taylor (Lee & TaylorHJ)
2: Owl + Dope (Owl & Dope)
3: OG Princesses (Eet & V)
4: Mandarin (Citrus & Xin)
5: The Birds and The Beams (Risk & VVB)
5: Scorpadorp Corp
7: TBD
7: Pika Wobble
9: Jam & Jelly
9: Peach Fuzz

BulkyRobo

Smash Rookie
Before TPT, I had never won a match in tournament format (double 0-2's at an OpenWorld monthly in Mandeville a while back and then at Golden Chariot a few weeks ago) - yesterday, I placed within top 10 (9th, tied with VVB, Arcadia, and Hunter) in a tournament with 48 entries. So obviously, I had to finally hop on the Smashboards bandwagon to commemorate the occasion. :D

I couldn't be more psyched about how my Bowser has progressed and I thank all of you who hyped me up as the tourney went along! I had so had so many great matches yesterday (except against you, V - good spacies seem to bring out the worst in me, haha). GG's to all, had a great time and learned a ton!

Last edited:

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Before TPT, I had never won a match in tournament format (double 0-2's at an OpenWorld monthly in Mandeville a while back and then at Golden Chariot a few weeks ago) - yesterday, I placed within top 10 (9th, tied with VVB, Arcadia, and Hunter) in a tournament with 48 entries. So obviously, I had to finally hop on the Smashboards bandwagon to commemorate the occasion. :D

I couldn't be more psyched about how my Bowser has progressed and I thank all of you who hyped me up as the tourney went along! I had so had so many great matches yesterday (except against you, V - good spacies seem to bring out the worst in me, haha). GG's to all, had a great time and learned a ton!
Play olimar against spacies. You can up smash them like 12 times in a row.

BulkyRobo

Smash Rookie
Play olimar against spacies. You can up smash them like 12 times in a row.
I actually do have a pocket Olimar (kinda). At the very least, he's a character I play fairly frequently in friendlies that I could probably bring up to tourney level with some practice. And I also have a DK secondary that I should've pulled out - DK has so many shenanigans he can pull out against spacies and fast fallers in general. I dunno, I was just in Bowser mode yesterday. Haha.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Olimar is never tourney ready. Any time you put into olimar is better spent on learning literally any other character.

BulkyRobo

Smash Rookie
Olimar is never tourney ready. Any time you put into olimar is better spent on learning literally any other character.
Eh, you forget that you're talking to a Bowser main... Haha. Also, as a former Melee Jiggs main, I enjoy watching HBox's Olimar. Definitely not a character to sleep on, he's got really satisfying aerials and deceptively strong smashes. Tether grab and recovery is a plus, too.

Anyhow, didn't mean to derail the discussion away from the tourney. Just wanted to add my two cents on the character.

Edit: Words words words.

Last edited:

TFerg

Smash Apprentice
I really really enjoyed it, thanks for the fun games :]
Sad that I had to face Vaughn round 3, but it has to happen to someone.
Also shoutouts to the Ganon player who made me realize I need to work on that matchup.

@Robo I enjoyed watching your games dude. Don't underestimate that bowser doe man, Deff proves that he can be a beast. A lot of times just his armor mechanics can catch people off guard. Your down-B cancel kills were great, lol.

And shoutouts to Magi for the hypest thing all tourney (for PM anyways!)

Last edited:

BulkyRobo

Smash Rookie
@Robo I enjoyed watching your games dude. Don't underestimate that bowser doe man, Deff proves that he can be a beast. A lot of times just his armor mechanics can catch people off guard. Your down-B cancel kills were great, lol.
Bit of a delayed response, but dang, did I just get my first shoutout? Haha, thanks, man! I'm bummed I didn't get to play you at TPT, I haven't gotten to play your Roy since Golden Chariot (though I heard you went to the dark side - the Mario dunks were too hard to resist, I suppose...). Anyhow, thanks again dude!

Also, don't know if he's around, but major props to Noge. The crowd was hyping me up like crazy for that set and he was super cool about it.

Lastly, is there a thread that keeps track of upcoming LA tournaments? I won't be around here much longer (college in Texas), but I'd like to catch at least one more before I head back.

TFerg

Smash Apprentice
Bit of a delayed response, but dang, did I just get my first shoutout? Haha, thanks, man! I'm bummed I didn't get to play you at TPT, I haven't gotten to play your Roy since Golden Chariot (though I heard you went to the dark side - the Mario dunks were too hard to resist, I suppose...). Anyhow, thanks again dude!

Also, don't know if he's around, but major props to Noge. The crowd was hyping me up like crazy for that set and he was super cool about it.

Lastly, is there a thread that keeps track of upcoming LA tournaments? I won't be around here much longer (college in Texas), but I'd like to catch at least one more before I head back.
LOL the mario pickup was just a temporary thing out of my bad recovery salt. I mainly just play Roy/ some Falco now haha. We gud

Top Bottom