• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
You mean hardware characters. DK jr. isn't really a hardware character.
Unless you count the arcade amchine itself but now we're just arguing schematics.

I voted for Dixie on the poll above.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
You know what I love? Gals that know how to ROCK! Dixie, Mona, and Barbara have that in common. They're perhaps the coolest Nintendo girls who know how to jam with a guitar! I mean, check them out!

Awesome right?

Krayon Kaphonie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaphonie
thankyounintendobykaphoniekrystal4smashxD.jpg
I drew a thank you pic of some of my favorite characters to Nintendo for fixing my gamepad. I taped it to the back of a important sheet of paper they needed xD I spreaded Dixie word to the Nintendo repair department! :D

DixieJiggly

Smash Cadet
NNID
ZATCH BELL
3DS FC
0903-2824-3011
View attachment 72600I drew a thank you pic of some of my favorite characters to Nintendo for fixing my gamepad. I taped it to the back of a important sheet of paper they needed xD I spreaded Dixie word to the Nintendo repair department! :D
I love your style of drawing, draw Dixie really nice, I like your image Miiverse Dixie and Krystal signature you have, what is your Miiverse?I want to follow and see the rest of your drawings on Dixie

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I think that Dixie may have a good chance of getting in if not K. Rool, because of that, I shall lend my support.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
View attachment 72600I drew a thank you pic of some of my favorite characters to Nintendo for fixing my gamepad. I taped it to the back of a important sheet of paper they needed xD I spreaded Dixie word to the Nintendo repair department! :D
You should get this in the OP man! It's really well done, did you upload it to deviantart?

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
You should get this in the OP man! It's really well done, did you upload it to deviantart?
I could add in a "fanart" section for pictures like this. I'm keeping the drawings by VT and N3ON in their respective spots because I feel that they fit with introducing each subsection of the post. Kaphonie's drawing is beautiful and they did a wonderful job on it, but since the main focus is on other characters like Wolf and Krystal, I don't think it would quite fit as a featured illustration in the OP of the Dixie thread. However, if you still want the pic posted in the OP, @ Krayon Kaphonie Krayon Kaphonie , I could put it in a smaller separate section and start collecting other pieces of fanart that people submit here.

I want to know from you all if that sounds like a good idea.

Anyway, in other news, there is a rumor going around GameFAQs that involves Dixie. I thought I would post it here in case people haven't seen it, and to revive discussion a bit since the information pool has been bone dry in the last few months. As always, it is a 4chan rumor, so it should be taken with a grain of salt (maybe more):

It's the classic "My friend works at Nintendo" scenario. The leaker claims that their source is afraid of getting fired, so they are being careful. They then post screenshots of a Saffron City stage.

http://imgur.com/6PKTTpg
http://imgur.com/i6FE2jD

Then the leaker goes gives some insight on who is coming next as DLC. According to their source, Wolf is next, and the rest are going to be influenced by the ballot. Apparently, the source is not too high on the information chain, as they don't have a definite answer as to who the next character is after Wolf, but they say rumors are floating about the office that it is Dixie.

http://imgur.com/TLXbgjY
http://imgur.com/pac00TQ

The source claims that some higherup at Nintendo gave them an example on how the ballot works. According to the higherup, the ballot does not directly decide characters, but gives a general indicator of what the fans want. They state in a hypothetical scenario that since both K. Rool and Krystal are popular, then Sakurai decides that the fans want both a female character and a DK character, so he decides on Dixie as a compromise. Keep in mind that this scenario is framed as an example, so even if what the leaker's source says is 100% legit, it doesn't guarantee that Dixie will be added. But, it also could increase her chances, given that she was the character who was chosen for the example.

Personally, I question the reasoning behind Dixie being decided in this scenario (why not just directly add the popular characters, instead of proxy characters based on arbitrary factors related to who the fans want), but my gut reaction tells me that it sounds like such a Sakurai thing to do. Since the ballot is a suggestion box and not a formal poll, Sakurai still has the final say as to who gets added, and could very well decide not to add more popular characters in favor of fighters that he wants to put into the game (and he has considered Dixie before), and he could be using those factors to justify his reasoning.

However, the leak also gives a lot of safe information that is very likely to happen. Wolf is arguably the most likely candidate for DLC, and Saffron City is a very safe guess with all of the N64 stages that have been released lately. Additionally, they posted screenshots of the 3DS version, which are much easier to fake than screenshots of the Wii U version.

All in all, I'm skeptical, but there is currently no information that disproves it as far as I know, so I'm not completely dismissing it. I'd be happy about Dixie's chances, but I'd be pretty bummed about Krystal's chances if it does turn out to be true.

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
PushDustIn also says that online polling will only result in measuring the loudest fanbases, which may not reflect what is actually happening. Even with that though, Dixie's still in the top 15 out of all of the potential characters. In my eyes, that's still got to count for something.

These results may accurately reflect what's going on in the ballot, or it could be drastically different. Either way, we won't know unless Nintendo releases the results to the public. I'm not going to let this information dwindle my support for Dixie.

EDIT: This response was not intended as attacking you; you are just relaying information. I apologize if my tone comes off that way.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Not quite sure what to make of this
Aaaaaaaaand the next clue posted today is a dead giveaway for Kumatora. It would have been nice to see what they could do with Dixie, but I would be completely OK with the idea of the team working with the PSI princess.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

@ SethTheMage SethTheMage I understand your feelings, but its still stinks to see Dixie so low.

Either her support is just really silent or something else is going on.

Anyway, we will know our fate once the Ballot ends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if her popularity is a bit low she will always be in the public mind. She will never be a Geno or a Ridley *cires* who has their popularity fade. Based on how important she is to the franchise she will always be a top contender. If K rool gets in her support will go up even more from people jumping over to her. She will absolutely be in smash bros one day whether it is soon or in smash 6. That is a lot more than most characters can say.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Yeah, Dixie isn't going anywhere. Worst-case scenario, we wait a few more years.

She's of fundamental importance to her own series. Come what may, Dixie support remains.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Aaaaaaaaand the next clue posted today is a dead giveaway for Kumatora. It would have been nice to see what they could do with Dixie, but I would be completely OK with the idea of the team working with the PSI princess.
I'm not so sure given this
and this

Plus on the site when referencing the hair tweet they specifically say "hairy"
http://smashifiedart.com/whos-next

They're really trying to throw us off

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm not so sure given this
and this

Plus on the site when referencing the hair tweet they specifically say "hairy"
http://smashifiedart.com/whos-next

They're really trying to throw us off
Of course, we are dealing with the types that like to confuse or mess with their fans' minds. It would make our heads hurts to even think about which one of the two could be getting that video. I would be fine with them handling both characters, especially Dixie since her following is much bigger.

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
I seriously think the next Smashified is Dixie.
https://twitter.com/smashified/status/634390363629821952
I feel there is no other reason to specifically assign Sean Hicks do it. If it was Kumatora why would they get Sean to do it when everyone else on the team is perfectly capable of human like characters. Alot of people said Hicks' Banjo render blew Omni's out the water. Omni's was often criticized for the fur looking "off" or "fake" while Hicks' Banjo render was often praised for looking "realistic" and "well textured". Just my thought. I could very well be wrong but I would be beyond surprised if that were the case.

DixieJiggly

Smash Cadet
NNID
ZATCH BELL
3DS FC
0903-2824-3011

I could add in a "fanart" section for pictures like this. I'm keeping the drawings by VT and N3ON in their respective spots because I feel that they fit with introducing each subsection of the post. Kaphonie's drawing is beautiful and they did a wonderful job on it, but since the main focus is on other characters like Wolf and Krystal, I don't think it would quite fit as a featured illustration in the OP of the Dixie thread. However, if you still want the pic posted in the OP, @ Krayon Kaphonie Krayon Kaphonie , I could put it in a smaller separate section and start collecting other pieces of fanart that people submit here.

I want to know from you all if that sounds like a good idea.

Anyway, in other news, there is a rumor going around GameFAQs that involves Dixie. I thought I would post it here in case people haven't seen it, and to revive discussion a bit since the information pool has been bone dry in the last few months. As always, it is a 4chan rumor, so it should be taken with a grain of salt (maybe more):

It's the classic "My friend works at Nintendo" scenario. The leaker claims that their source is afraid of getting fired, so they are being careful. They then post screenshots of a Saffron City stage.

http://imgur.com/6PKTTpg
http://imgur.com/i6FE2jD

Then the leaker goes gives some insight on who is coming next as DLC. According to their source, Wolf is next, and the rest are going to be influenced by the ballot. Apparently, the source is not too high on the information chain, as they don't have a definite answer as to who the next character is after Wolf, but they say rumors are floating about the office that it is Dixie.

http://imgur.com/TLXbgjY
http://imgur.com/pac00TQ

The source claims that some higherup at Nintendo gave them an example on how the ballot works. According to the higherup, the ballot does not directly decide characters, but gives a general indicator of what the fans want. They state in a hypothetical scenario that since both K. Rool and Krystal are popular, then Sakurai decides that the fans want both a female character and a DK character, so he decides on Dixie as a compromise. Keep in mind that this scenario is framed as an example, so even if what the leaker's source says is 100% legit, it doesn't guarantee that Dixie will be added. But, it also could increase her chances, given that she was the character who was chosen for the example.

Personally, I question the reasoning behind Dixie being decided in this scenario (why not just directly add the popular characters, instead of proxy characters based on arbitrary factors related to who the fans want), but my gut reaction tells me that it sounds like such a Sakurai thing to do. Since the ballot is a suggestion box and not a formal poll, Sakurai still has the final say as to who gets added, and could very well decide not to add more popular characters in favor of fighters that he wants to put into the game (and he has considered Dixie before), and he could be using those factors to justify his reasoning.

However, the leak also gives a lot of safe information that is very likely to happen. Wolf is arguably the most likely candidate for DLC, and Saffron City is a very safe guess with all of the N64 stages that have been released lately. Additionally, they posted screenshots of the 3DS version, which are much easier to fake than screenshots of the Wii U version.

All in all, I'm skeptical, but there is currently no information that disproves it as far as I know, so I'm not completely dismissing it. I'd be happy about Dixie's chances, but I'd be pretty bummed about Krystal's chances if it does turn out to be true.
Hopefully that's true and Dixie finally playable in this Smash, and there is little to finish the ballot least, know whether all our efforts will have been worthwhile or not

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I don't care about Smashified anymore. Adding Travis ruined it for me. If he's going to add fan characters he might as well add anything like Shrek or Ronald McDonald!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I don't care about Smashified anymore. Adding Travis ruined it for me. If he's going to add fan characters he might as well add anything like Shrek or Ronald McDonald!
I never cared about it and I honestly do not understand why others are or were so excited about this smashfied thing. I mean, nothing against it, but what I want is Dixie Kong in Smash, not some random fanart.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
@ SethTheMage SethTheMage
You make a good point regarding the possibility of fanart and the drawing above. I'm fine either way but I'll admit it is a little late to be adding that section and I'm not sure how many contributions it'll get. Personally I just wanna finish my moveset drawings; I doubt I'll have any fanart or "Vote Dixie" illustrations of my own and now that I think about it, the OP is fine as is.

About the rumor, I'm certainly skeptical of the whole thing and I'm willing to just sit back and see how things pan out.

@ VeemonTamer VeemonTamer
Sean Hicks is part of Smashified? I thought he was separate from them and doing his own thing. I gotta admit I LOVED his Banjo & Kazooie when I saw it in the BK thread so I'm kinda surprised he's joined that team.

@ Reila Reila
I think part of the craze comes from the publicity a character can get from it. That Rayman stunt gave the character a huge boost in popularity, and while Ray's probably the one ho benefited most from it, perhaps fans of other characters are trying to get a surge in popularity/support for their dream fighters.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I never cared about it and I honestly do not understand why others are or were so excited about this smashfied thing.
Art is a beautiful thing, and when it resembles something of which we desire it connects with on an emotional level.
God, that was pretentious.

Krayon Kaphonie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaphonie
I love your style of drawing, draw Dixie really nice, I like your image Miiverse Dixie and Krystal signature you have, what is your Miiverse?I want to follow and see the rest of your drawings on Dixie
Its "Kaphonie" but my Mii is my OC "Krayon". :D I haven't drawn much dixie stuff recently but I planned to do so. :) I find her and diddy kong really hard to draw xD

@ BirthNote BirthNote Yeah Its There :) I'm Kaphonie on everything social media except miiverse xD I don't have lots I'd dixie pics drawn tho .-. But I'm working in it :)

@SagetheMage do what you want ^o^

Spatman

Smash Ace
I will be very disappointed if Dixie won't be in...
That "leak"... I don't believe it at all. But according to a neogaf user, probably we will have another stage with mario maker (and i think it will be another old stage coming back). Saffron City is possible

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Man I don't wanna believe that leak considering it's too good to be true.

Wolf, Dixie and a new retro stage.

Most leaks I saw had stuff that I wasn't too fond of but I love this one because it has stuff I'll love and enjoy.

Please be real. Oh God, please be real

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Here's a link to a elimination game that I made. It has Dixie Kong: http://smashboards.com/threads/ssb4-dlc-candidate-elimination-game.417254/page-3

I'm posting this to prevent Wolf getting an unfair advantage after one member posted it to Wolf's support thread.
So Bandana Dee wound up winning. Glad K. Rool, Rayman and Dixie were in the top 5, but whoever posted the link in Wolf's thread really helped him out.

Onto more moveset ideas. I'm not sure how much these posts will affect her chances with the ballot with just 12 days left, but I want to finish these ideas since I'm so close. I have a few concepts here in the hope that at least one appeals to people's imagination if the other(s) don't. Another massive post is here, brace yourselves, if the post is annoyingly long I'll wrap spoiler tags on it.

Down Smash: Quick Split

As she charges her Down Smash, Dixie strikes a pose. Her hand seems poised to shoot up while her hair curls too. With each passing second she becomes more determined to unleash the attack. And then...

ssSSWOOOM!! She performs a split! This Smash attack is a quick maneuver in which Dixie uses her feet to do damage. The attack is the fastest of her smashes, but also the weakest. While her Forward Smash has huge KO potential--the most actually--and her Up Smash isn't bad at killing either, her Down Smash isn't reliable for KO's off the bat. Higher percentages notwithstanding. Her hair deals no damage, but it does smack foes while it unravels just before she splits. The chance of getting hit by it is remote and just disrupts you in that split second before she splits.

And that's the default idea for a down smash. It fits the dynamic I have with the other 2; while the Forward Smash has her rely strictly on her hair, and her Up allows her to use her hair and feet, her Down Smash has no real reliance on it and instead the damage comes from her feet. There's barely any ending lag and almost none on the startup side. It's a simple yet practical attack, one that many fighters can do, and because of that I feel the need to show ideas that could be more unique and specialized:

Alternate Down Smash 1: Sit Spin Sweep

The cute Kong wraps her hair around her and crouches while doing so, letting her hair wrap tightly but still maintaining her balance. Sound familiar? Well it is but--

sSSSSHHHoooWOOOMSSH! She unleashes the attack and performs a figure skating move called a Sit Spin, and in the process uncurls her hair to smack foes while she spins! It's essentially her Forward Smash at a lower height, the only differences here is that you control how much she spins. Do a quick Smash and she'll spin once, charge it halfway and she'll spin twice, but charge it fully and you'll get three spins! The hair smacks foes away throughout either spin, and the one before the last is the strongest (ie: 2 spins means the first will be the strongest and 3 spins means the 2nd will be the strongest) as Dixie will be winding down momentum to finish the attack.

And here's the finisher. No matter how long the Smash is charged, the final spin will end with her making this pose. Anyone hit by the hair will be knocked away, but what's most important about this part is that the amount of spins determine how much ending lag you'll get. She'll be holding that pose for a bit to regain balance; how long exactly is up to you, so keep that in mind when charging the attack.

Like the Whiplash Smash the Sit Spin Sweep is powerful; not AS powerful but can be slightly stronger than the Up Smash, if we're talking about the strongest spin in the set when fully charged. A graceful and strong spin, and a good idea IMO, but as it is her Whiplash Smash re-purposed--which isn't necessarily bad, I have yet another idea:

Alternate Down Smash 2: Spinning Kong

Dixie balances on one hand while the rest of her limbs and her hair seem poised to strike. What could she be getting ready to do while keeping most of herself in the air?

SWOOOM-SWOOOM-SWOOOM-SWOOOM!!!!
A Spinning Kong of course! Like DK, Dixie can pull off that Kong tornado move, but she uses it differently. She performs the attack while upside-down and stays in one place, and spins twice, but if you charge it longer she'll spin three times and four if fully charged. Like the 1st alternate Down Smash the ending lag depends on how much you charge the move, but it's not exactly powerful, and the final spin is the strongest. While the other spins rack up damage and keep you in the cyclone like Peach's Down Smash, the final spin knocks you away with good knockback if fully charged, and decent if not. It's a wild attack that highlights her savage side.

Those are the Down Smash ideas. While I'm going with the first one, I can't deny the other two are cooler and more unique. I felt the need to have her use a quick and reliable attack at the cost of raw power, and complete the dynamic I have with the Up and Forward as well as show that she's not 100% hair. Each of the three smashes in this post have their strengths and flaws, so it's best to pick your favorite of the bunch.

All that's left are the Specials and her "Glide". Stay tuned for it.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So Bandana Dee wound up winning. Glad K. Rool, Rayman and Dixie were in the top 5, but whoever posted the link in Wolf's thread really helped him out.

Onto more moveset ideas. I'm not sure how much these posts will affect her chances with the ballot with just 12 days left, but I want to finish these ideas since I'm so close. I have a few concepts here in the hope that at least one appeals to people's imagination if the other(s) don't. Another massive post is here, brace yourselves, if the post is annoyingly long I'll wrap spoiler tags on it.

Down Smash: Quick Split

As she charges her Down Smash, Dixie strikes a pose. Her hand seems poised to shoot up while her hair curls too. With each passing second she becomes more determined to unleash the attack. And then...

ssSSWOOOM!! She performs a split! This Smash attack is a quick maneuver in which Dixie uses her feet to do damage. The attack is the fastest of her smashes, but also the weakest. While her Forward Smash has huge KO potential--the most actually--and her Up Smash isn't bad at killing either, her Down Smash isn't reliable for KO's off the bat. Higher percentages notwithstanding. Her hair deals no damage, but it does smack foes while it unravels just before she splits. The chance of getting hit by it is remote and just disrupts you in that split second before she splits.

And that's the default idea for a down smash. It fits the dynamic I have with the other 2; while the Forward Smash has her rely strictly on her hair, and her Up allows her to use her hair and feet, her Down Smash has no real reliance on it and instead the damage comes from her feet. There's barely any ending lag and almost none on the startup side. It's a simple yet practical attack, one that many fighters can do, and because of that I feel the need to show ideas that could be more unique and specialized:

Alternate Down Smash 1: Sit Spin Sweep

The cute Kong wraps her hair around her and crouches while doing so, letting her hair wrap tightly but still maintaining her balance. Sound familiar? Well it is but--

sSSSSHHHoooWOOOMSSH! She unleashes the attack and performs a figureskating move called a Sit Spin, and in the process uncurls her hair to smack foes while she spins! It's essentially her Forward Smash at a lower height, the only differences here is that you control how much she spins. Do a quick Smash and she'll spin once, charge it halfway and she'll spin twice, but charge it fully and you'll get three spins! The hair smacks foes away throughout either spin, and the one before the last is the strongest (ie: 2 spins means the first will be the strongest and 3 spins means the 2nd will be the strongest) as Dixie will be winding down momentum to finish the attack.

And here's the finisher. No matter how long the Smash is charged, the final spin will end with her making this pose. Anyone hit by the hair will be knocked away, but what's most important about this part is that the amount of spins determine how much ending lag you'll get. She'll be holding that pose for a bit to regain balance; how long exactly is up to you, so keep that in mind when charging the attack.

Like the Whiplash Smash the Sit Spin Sweep is powerful; not AS powerful but can be slightly stronger than the Up Smash, if we're talking about the strongest spin in the set when fully charged. A graceful and strong spin, and a good idea IMO, but as it is her Whiplash Smash re-purposed--which isn't necessarily bad, I have yet another idea:

Alternate Down Smash 2: Spinning Kong

Dixie balances on one hand while the rest of her limbs and her hair seem poised to strike. What could she be getting ready to do while keeping most of herself in the air?

SWOOOM-SWOOOM-SWOOOM-SWOOOM!!!!
A Spinning Kong of course! Like DK, Dixie can pull off that Kong tornado move, but she uses it differently. She performs the attack while upside-down and stays in one place, and spins twice, but if you charge it longer she'll spin three times and four if fully charged. Like the 1st alternate Down Smash the ending lag depends on how much you charge the move, but it's not exactly powerful, and the final spin is the strongest. While the other spins rack up damage and keep you in the cyclone like Peach's Down Smash, the final spin knocks you away with good knockback if fully charged, and decent if not. It's a wild attack that highlights her savage side.

Those are the Down Smash ideas. While I'm going with the first one, I can't deny the other two are cooler and more unique. I felt the need to have her use a quick and reliable attack at the cost of raw power, and complete the dynamic I have with the Up and Forward as well as show that she's not 100% hair. Each of the three smashes in this post have their strengths and flaws, so it's best to pick your favorite of the bunch.

All that's left are the Specials and her "Glide". Stay tuned for it.
If only Sakurai could see all of the hard work you are putting into this.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
If only Sakurai could see all of the hard work you are putting into this.
I'd be honored if he saw it. I know he'd have his own spin on how Dixie would play and it's probably nothing like mine, but I'd be going through the roof with joy if he did have a look at these.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
OP is now fixed! When the site updated, it changed the coding around spoiler tags a little bit, so it messed up the formatting I was using. I went back in and edited it, and now it functions properly. I have also updated it with BirthNote BirthNote 's DSmash ideas.

Top Bottom