• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

Koopaul

Smash Champion
That might be hard to get in its original form since its always changing. However, a remix would be great.

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
I would definitely want a Dixie DLC to come with a older DKC inspired stage. Lake Orangatanga would be pretty awesome. Maybe that big barrel boss could drop down sometimes and smash fighters.

Maybe Gangplank Galleon from DKC2 would be good too. That is Dixie's original appearance after all.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Whatever we get, the DKC series needs more in Smash than the slap in the face we just got.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Sup everyone, been offline for a bit but it's crazy to see so much has happened lately.

@ VeemonTamer VeemonTamer glad to hear you're doing better! Like Seth said, your health's more important than these games and we hope you stay well. You're a big hype motivator in this thread but being healthy is what matters most.

@ Arcadenik Arcadenik nice Dixie/Kiddy ideas! I don't like Kiddy in the slightest but I can't lie about your ideas being very interesting. You should get it to be featured in the OP.

About K. Rool's costume, IDK what it means for the Kroc and the Kong but at this point I've stopped trying to read Sakurai since he's confusing. I don't agree with people using Link and Samus costumes to say he's not deconfirmed since those 2 are vets, and were in Smash long before the costumes showed up. However the way Sakurai throws curveballs, K.Rool's costumes could mean anything, so I'm 50/50.

Now onto a moveset idea.

Up Throw: Bubblegun Blast

Dixie whips out her Bubblegum Popgun, modified by Funky for Smash, to blast foes away. Instead of firing a gumball, Dixie's gun inflates a wad of gum until it's ready to pop, and it's helped along by her victim. The gum's explosion is strong, and sounds a lot like when you lose a life in the original DKC. The sound of those balloons popping back in the day was painful for a kid y'know...but MUCH more for whoever's receiving this.

Dixie starts the move by crouching and pulling her foe's face with her, as you can see at Point 2. If you look closely you'll see a wicked grin on her face; perhaps she knows what kind of pain her victim will receive? Anyway, at Point 3 Dixie springs up and tosses her enemy above with standard force. She keeps her hands up, and while transitioning to Point 4 her gun appears in a puff of smoke, like most hammerspace items in the original trilogy. At P4 the gun's out and she charges it while the gum inflates; at the same time, the foe's falling down with no choice but to land on the sphere of gum. Once they make contact, the pressurized gum combined with the weight of the victim and the speed of their fall result in the explosion, blasting them away as you can see at Point 5.

The knockback behind the blast makes her Up Throw the strongest of her traditional throws, and it works slightly better on heavier characters. They make the pop stronger, but since they fall faster to begin with the transition from P4 to P5 will be quicker, compared to lighter characters who don't impact the gum bubble as strongly as heavyweights. Also, this is the only time she uses the gun in my moveset--a shame too, since this could make a good Alternate Up Smash. Ah well, maybe it'll inspire someone else to imagine some uses for it in their moveset.

With her Up, Down and Back throws out the way, looks like the Sandbag has to endure one more demonstration before it can finally call it quits. That is, unless Dixie's Forward Throw works a lot like DK's...

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Sup everyone, been offline for a bit but it's crazy to see so much has happened lately.

@ VeemonTamer VeemonTamer glad to hear you're doing better! Like Seth said, your health's more important than these games and we hope you stay well. You're a big hype motivator in this thread but being healthy is what matters most.

@ Arcadenik Arcadenik nice Dixie/Kiddy ideas! I don't like Kiddy in the slightest but I can't lie about your ideas being very interesting. You should get it to be featured in the OP.

About K. Rool's costume, IDK what it means for the Kroc and the Kong but at this point I've stopped trying to read Sakurai since he's confusing. I don't agree with people using Link and Samus costumes to say he's not deconfirmed since those 2 are vets, and were in Smash long before the costumes showed up. However the way Sakurai throws curveballs, K.Rool's costumes could mean anything, so I'm 50/50.

Now onto a moveset idea.

Up Throw: Bubblegun Blast

Dixie whips out her Bubblegum Popgun, modified by Funky for Smash, to blast foes away. Instead of firing a gumball, Dixie's gun inflates a wad of gum until it's ready to pop, and it's helped along by her victim. The gum's explosion is strong, and sounds a lot like when you lose a life in the original DKC. The sound of those balloons popping back in the day was painful for a kid y'know...but MUCH more for whoever's receiving this.

Dixie starts the move by crouching and pulling her foe's face with her, as you can see at Point 2. If you look closely you'll see a wicked grin on her face; perhaps she knows what kind of pain her victim will receive? Anyway, at Point 3 Dixie springs up and tosses her enemy above with standard force. She keeps her hands up, and while transitioning to Point 4 her gun appears in a puff of smoke, like most hammerspace items in the original trilogy. At P4 the gun's out and she charges it while the gum inflates; at the same time, the foe's falling down with no choice but to land on the sphere of gum. Once they make contact, the pressurized gum combined with the weight of the victim and the speed of their fall result in the explosion, blasting them away as you can see at Point 5.

The knockback behind the blast makes her Up Throw the strongest of her traditional throws, and it works slightly better on heavier characters. They make the pop stronger, but since they fall faster to begin with the transition from P4 to P5 will be quicker, compared to lighter characters who don't impact the gum bubble as strongly as heavyweights. Also, this is the only time she uses the gun in my moveset--a shame too, since this could make a good Alternate Up Smash. Ah well, maybe it'll inspire someone else to imagine some uses for it in their moveset.

With her Up, Down and Back throws out the way, looks like the Sandbag has to endure one more demonstration before it can finally call it quits. That is, unless Dixie's Forward Throw works a lot like DK's...
Yay! Another one! It is now in the OP. I love how you portray Dixie as having a mischievous side in this move. And the Sandbag expressions are just perfect. Poor thing. Also, I have to once again appreciate the creativity in this moveset. I never even thought of using her Bubblegum Popgun like this. But, it totally works because it's perfect for Dixie's character, and it's super original on top of that.

EDIT: That remark that you made about the balloon popping sound totally reminds me of the many, many, Game Overs I got as a kid while trying to find the bonus levels in Web Woods in DKC2. That makes the impact of this move feel much more powerful.

EDIT 2: You totally reminded me to put @ Arcadenik Arcadenik 's Dixie and Kiddy moveset in the OP. It's in there now.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Yay! Another one! It is now in the OP. I love how you portray Dixie as having a mischievous side in this move. And the Sandbag expressions are just perfect. Poor thing. Also, I have to once again appreciate the creativity in this moveset. I never even thought of using her Bubblegum Popgun like this. But, it totally works because it's perfect for Dixie's character, and it's super original on top of that.

EDIT: That remark that you made about the balloon popping sound totally reminds me of the many, many, Game Overs I got as a kid while trying to find the bonus levels in Web Woods in DKC2. That makes the impact of this move feel much more powerful.

EDIT 2: You totally reminded me to put @ Arcadenik Arcadenik 's Dixie and Kiddy moveset in the OP. It's in there now.
LOL you know the struggle! I dreaded losing lives and those pops were nerve-wracking. It was such a simple occurrence but it went a long way in making me tense up with each life lost. Good times...

Thanks for the feedback as well! I took inspiration from Fox's Up Throw but I wanted to make it feel like something Dixie could do, and after I thought of her idle animation in DKC2 everything started to come together and I'm glad I succeeded.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If Dixie's hair twirl is her double jump what should her Up-B err... be?

There's a lot of places to take inspiration from in the DK series so let's see.

Cannon Barrel: Pretty iconic to the DK series but already used as stage hazards
Extra Life Balloon: The Returns series showed that they're somehow strong enough to lift a Gorrila and a Monkey/Chimp/old shrunken Gorrila so it's possible, though may be aping (pun unintended) the villager
Animal Buddies: Rattly the Rattlesnake, Squitter the Spider, Squawks the Parrot, there's a long list.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Maybe Dixie could be like Yoshi where she doesn't need an up special recovery... she could double jump really high with her hair... and she could float like Peach with her hair if you held down the jump button after the first jump or the second jump...

And her up special move could be for something else...?

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Heh good news! I was able to accidentally squeeze some more votes in for Dixie! I was invited out to Smash conference 36 in Gainesville by MVG League to commentate for the singles and dbls tourneys. They are trying to get more females involved in the competitive scene and apparently a lot of people liked me including the head boss of MVG so I might get employed. Oh and what caught me even more off guard is that even M2K said I was doing an awesome job commentating the stream. O.O
But yeah I was just being silly and dropped "vote Dixie for smash DLC we have yet to have any female dlc newcomers" over the stream and sure enough the facebook page had a spike in views. Also some people at the conference voted as well.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Heh good news! I was able to accidentally squeeze some more votes in for Dixie! I was invited out to Smash conference 36 in Gainesville by MVG League to commentate for the singles and dbls tourneys. They are trying to get more females involved in the competitive scene and apparently a lot of people liked me including the head boss of MVG so I might get employed. Oh and what caught me even more off guard is that even M2K said I was doing an awesome job commentating the stream. O.O
But yeah I was just being silly and dropped "vote Dixie for smash DLC we have yet to have any female dlc newcomers" over the stream and sure enough the facebook page had a spike in views. Also some people at the conference voted as well.
Awesome work, VT! That's definitely going to help us out. I feel that if Dixie does make it in, you deserve at least some credit for making that happen with all of the work that you have done. Also, congrats on the possible employment and the compliment from M2K! That had to have felt amazing.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
If Dixie's hair twirl is her double jump what should her Up-B err... be?

There's a lot of places to take inspiration from in the DK series so let's see.

Cannon Barrel: Pretty iconic to the DK series but already used as stage hazards
Extra Life Balloon: The Returns series showed that they're somehow strong enough to lift a Gorrila and a Monkey/Chimp/old shrunken Gorrila so it's possible, though may be aping (pun unintended) the villager
Animal Buddies: Rattly the Rattlesnake, Squitter the Spider, Squawks the Parrot, there's a long list.
I'd go with Squawks personally, but it'd be cool to see ideas for Squitter. Maybe he could web-sling a way back onto the stage or something, or create a platform or a type of zip-line for Dixie to traverse.

DixieJiggly

Smash Cadet
NNID
ZATCH BELL
3DS FC
0903-2824-3011
Maybe Dixie could be like Yoshi where she doesn't need an up special recovery... she could double jump really high with her hair... and she could float like Peach with her hair if you held down the jump button after the first jump or the second jump...

And her up special move could be for something else...?
It is a good idea, I vote for Squawks as a movement of recovery, and -> + B should definitely be Rambi style bike Wario, one that can be loaded by pressing the button for a faster and stronger (as in DKC2) onslaught but not be able to change direction unlike Wario bike
---
PS: Great news @ VeemonTamer VeemonTamer , I every time I meet new people I'm always telling them to vote for Dixie Kong, any vote is little, in fact I think I'm helping a lot in this matter, unless you lie I will have told them at least 30 people to vote him grab such codes for Charizard Pokemon Shiny in X / Y and told them, I give you in exchange for a vote and did so delighted Dixie

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Dixie having an animal buddy summoning moveset could work. Zelda can summon Phantoms so the memory issue shouldn't be too great.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I think Dixie having an animal buddy summoning moveset could work. Zelda can summon Phantoms so the memory issue shouldn't be too great.
This would work pretty well like having Rambi show up for her Side-B like Wario's bike

Crabman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pipopolus
I think Rambi would make an awesome final smash, it would like so cool to see dixie riding around on Rambi, horn attacking the crap out of people and jumping super high. Pulse we need more final smashes that aren't just a super strong hit or blast of energy.

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
I think Rambi would make an awesome final smash, it would like so cool to see dixie riding around on Rambi, horn attacking the crap out of people and jumping super high. Pulse we need more final smashes that aren't just a super strong hit or blast of energy.
I like that idea. Some characters have transformation final smashes (e.g., Wario, Sonic, and the mega evolving Pokemon) or ones that involve a quick team up with another character (e.g., Shulk and Robin), but I don't think anybody has a final smash that has a ally joining you for a bit. Since the animal buddies do just that in the DKC games, I think it would both be true to them and be a pretty unique final smash for Dixie to have. I'd also be up for a final smash involving Dixie rocking out on her electric guitar.

By the way, could I be added to the supporters' list, please? Dixie is definitely one of my top picks for ballot DLC and I think she has the potential to be a pretty cool fighter.

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
By the way, could I be added to the supporters' list, please? Dixie is definitely one of my top picks for ballot DLC and I think she has the potential to be a pretty cool fighter.
No problem. You are now on the list.

On the subject of Animal Buddies, I am totally in favor of this idea. Squawks could be used in Dixie's recovery, while her helicopter spin could be incorporated in a float ability like Peach, or as the alternative to special fall after her recovery, like Game & Watch's parachute. Rambi could work as a charge attack and recovery option like Wario's bike, or he could be used in a Final Smash. There was a Final Smash idea earlier in the speculation period where Dixie could summon a stampede of Animal Buddies to trample opponents, and I think that could work here. She could call in the likes of Rambi, Expresso, Winky, Rattly, Squitter, and Ellie to trample opponents on the ground while Squawks flies around shooting eggs.

Last edited:

CormyCat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
QueenC
3DS FC
1289-8200-0643
I think that's a great idea. It would of course make no sense to have say Rambi as a special move AND her final smash, but if he was incorporated into a large stampede of all the animal buddies it wouldn't matter! Also I think the stampede is just an awesome idea for a final smash...

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
I would definitely prefer the animal friends in a Final Smash than in special moves. I kinda want to see Dixie fighting on her own most of the time and utilizing her signature ponytail.

Mary H.

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1676-4537-1982
I wouldn't mind a few of the animal buddies being incorporated into her moves. Dixie being characterized as a "friend to all animals nature child" type would be pretty cool, and it'd further differentiate her from Diddy. And I love the final smash being her leading a stampede idea.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Animal Buddies involved in Dixie's moveset might make me play her as much as Diddy in this game. And in literally no game ever has that ever happened!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Animal Buddies involved in Dixie's moveset might make me play her as much as Diddy in this game. And in literally no game ever has that ever happened!
Just Smash or across all games where both are playable?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I would definitely want a Dixie DLC to come with a older DKC inspired stage. Lake Orangatanga would be pretty awesome. Maybe that big barrel boss could drop down sometimes and smash fighters.

Maybe Gangplank Galleon from DKC2 would be good too. That is Dixie's original appearance after all.
Lake Orangatanga would be cool, but I think it would be interesting if we got a DK stage that isn't the usual nature/forest/green stuff. Like:

Or if forest/trees have to be incorporated, then Ripsaw Rage would be an interesting banned stage:

The Novice Sword

Smash Apprentice
Lake Orangatanga would be cool, but I think it would be interesting if we got a DK stage that isn't the usual nature/forest/green stuff. Like:

Or if forest/trees have to be incorporated, then Ripsaw Rage would be an interesting banned stage:

I do love that roller coaster level. It would make either a good pokefloats/big blue style stage where the skull cars move ever forward on a track and you fight on top of them or a static stage where the carts with Kremlins in them come through as a hazard occasionally

Skorm Snow-Strider

Smash Rookie
What, no Bramble Scramble? You'd think that one would nearly be a shoo-in as a stage as is. Or anything pirate themed. The DK series seems to have a thing for nautical invaders, Returns and DKC3 aside.

Reila

A Bramble level would be great in Smash indeed, though I stand by my belief that a non-nature themed stage would be a nice change of pace for the DK series in Smash. Kinda like Metroid getting a non-lava/acid filled stage was rather nice in Brawl (the Frigate Orpheon stage). So a factory level or the creepy Hornet Hole level would be my first picks for a new DK stage.

On the subject, if King K. Rool were to be playable, I would like him to come with a stage based on "The Flying Krock" from DKC2.

Reds94

Smash Cadet
I still think a Gangplank Galleon stage is way overdue. Just picture the Wind Waker Pirate Ship stage from brawl but bigger with cannon balls flying in.

Reila

Gangplank Galleon would be more fit for King K. Rool than Dixie, though. Plus, it's a stage from a game Dixie wasn't part of.

Reds94

Smash Cadet
Yeah but it's easily one of the most recognizable locations of DKC outside of the DK Jungle.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Um Mines? I'd say mines are way more iconic to the DKC series than Gangplank Galleon.

Reds94

Smash Cadet
I mean the simple fact that Gangplank has a name that most people know kind of shows how it's more iconic than the "mines" which don't have a specific name that people are familiar with. Gangplank was the entire leadup in DKC 1 since you could see it from the world map and while it isn't the same ship DKC2 was built around ships in the first world, leading off from the end of DKC1 in a unique way, ending and beginning with the same theme.

But that's just my opinion.

Reila

I think people are definitely familiar with the mines, mine carts and even the song "Mining Melancholy" from the DK series.

And again, I stand by my statement: Gangplank Galleon would make absolutely no sense as a stage for Dixie Kong, regardless of how iconic it is.

It would be like introducing Mega Man to Smash with Sigma's Palace as his stage.

Last edited:

Reds94

Smash Cadet
I'm not saying it's for Dixie, it's more for DK in general. Really I wanted it with a K.Rool + Dixie reveal.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Funny, in the Brawl times (after Diddy's reveal) the fans were indiffernt about either K. Rool or Dixie being in as another DK rep while going at each other's throats over Krystal vs Wolf. Now it's nearly the opposite.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Gangplank Galleon may be well known to us fans but I don't think that's the case with everyone. As the casual audience what things they think of when they hear "Donkey Kong Country".

They'll probably say: Jungles, Barrel Cannons, Riding Animals, and minecarts.

Just face it, minecarts are just a bigger part of the series than pirate ships.

At this point I think regular people might associate a pirate ship with Zelda than DK.

Reds94

Smash Cadet
That's your opinion. I can ask all my friends and family who are the casual audience and they'd all put the ship before minecarts.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'm sure its because they know you and have watched you play the game and talk about it.

I think you are overestimating how iconic this area is. I'm sure the majority of people haven't even gotten to the end of DKC to see it. When I talk casual, I mean casual. I the mean people who'd call Dixie "That girl monkey". That's what I mean by casual.

The only reason why you think it's so iconic and important to the series is because of K. Rool and his connection to it. Without K. Rool, Gangplank Galleon is meaningless.

Last edited:

Reds94

Smash Cadet
These people haven't watched me play, they live in the United States and I live in Canada. These are people who don't play DKC or any games at all really, but if they've played DKC at least once they remember the ship. Other people would be like my sister who is as casual as it gets, the only games she knows are DKC and Miss Pacman on SNES because we played them when we were 5 and 7 and we never even beat the game together. You get to see K.Rool's ship at the start of the game, right at the world map, foreshadowing the entire game. And even on top of all that why would it matter if a casual doesn't know where a stage is from? I've never played Kid Icarus and a lot of other people haven't either, but there is still the Reset Bomb and Palutan's Temple, I have no idea what these are in their game but people who did play KI probably think they're quite fitting.

I'll give you the Barrels obviously, they are in every stage but the mine carts are only in 2 level which aren't on the first or last world which people always remember, the start and the end, just like a movie, book or presentation. If you're talking about just Mine levels even without carts then you may as well say water levels are more iconic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom