• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The One Winged Angel~ Sephiroth Social Thread

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
While I beat Final Fantasy 7 for the first time earlier this year, I'm not overly familiar with specific songs in that game, so I'm interested to see what music we get beyond some form of One Winged Angel (whether it's the original version, the Advent Children version, or something else). ...Unless it winds up being like Cloud in Smash 4, and we just get One-Winged Angel and One-Winged Angel (Advent Children Edition).

Hopefully we get songs from other Final Fantasy games beyond 7 as well, even if they're just added through Mii costumes. Dancing Mad, or at least one of the four phases, would be amazing, and while I haven't played Final Fantasy V, Battle on the Big Bridge gets talked about a lot, and it sounds like it'd make for a great addition.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Here's my theory: To balance out Sephiroth's reach, he's going to be one of if not THE slowest character in the roster. If you watch his trailer, take notice about how you NEVER see Sephiroth actually move. The times we DO see him move he's just walking or jumping.

I feel like his playstyle is going to mirror the idea of fighting against a "Final Boss" who is toying with his opponent by not putting forth much effort. But when the One Wing comes out, that's his second "boss phase" and it gives him a burst of speed, as if NOW he's starting to get serious about the fight. I'm reminded of KH2 when after Sora finishes wailing on him he just lightly dusts himself off and tells him to go get Cloud so he can have a REAL fight.

You see it in the trailer with how he doesn't even entertain Bayo and Greninja trying to sneak attack him and he just swats them away, or how he doesn't even see Mario as worth killing and just dangles him by his overalls. He doesn't take any of these opponents seriously but Cloud, and I think his playstyle will reflect that.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Here's my theory: To balance out Sephiroth's reach, he's going to be one of if not THE slowest character in the roster. If you watch his trailer, take notice about how you NEVER see Sephiroth actually move. The times we DO see him move he's just walking or jumping.

I feel like his playstyle is going to mirror the idea of fighting against a "Final Boss" who is toying with his opponent by not putting forth much effort. But when the One Wing comes out, that's his second "boss phase" and it gives him a burst of speed, as if NOW he's starting to get serious about the fight. I'm reminded of KH2 when after Sora finishes wailing on him he just lightly dusts himself off and tells him to go get Cloud so he can have a REAL fight.

You see it in the trailer with how he doesn't even entertain Bayo and Greninja trying to sneak attack him and he just swats them away, or how he doesn't even see Mario as worth killing and just dangles him by his overalls. He doesn't take any of these opponents seriously but Cloud, and I think his playstyle will reflect that.
Incineroar but with range.
Boy.

Kokiden

Smash Ace

I feel the same and came to the same conclusion.

If this turns out to be the case, I'd be disappointed, personally speaking, since it sucks having mains who can't move for **** lol.

amageish

Smash Master
Sephiroph's reveal has gotten me going back to Theatryhthm Curtain Call, which is a good reminder of how many fantastic tracks he could come with... Still trying to keep my expectations down, but there is a tonne of potential in this. I do find it interesting TGA trailer had him be "X Final Fantasy" and the website one being "X Final Fantasy VII"...

also I know the team just did Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory, which I also love, but I'd take a Switch Theatrhythm if they have the time...

Trevenant

Smash Lord
First time ive posted here but feel as though it should be a tradition as the only reason i and im sure many others checked out the ARMS thread as an EG due to its confirmation even if it was a bit tail spinny until it was actually confirmed. Dunno if its been pointed out yet or if its even right (i think it is though) but just before Sephiroth uses a one sided down smash his wing actually appears partway through the gameplay clip. I got this from Delzethin and haven't seen it mentioned so idk. There is also how we see him being beaten up or dodging attacks before cutting to CG to show the wing form. Shadow Flare presumably acts similar to blue shell with it actually needing to hit before it can explode after some time. I hope Octoslash or on the off chance its Teluric Fury are his side b. Pretty amazing he got his shirtless alt too. Stage looks interesting but we'll have to see how that turns out. Hope FF finally gets fixed in the music department. Some remixes, stuff pulled from FF7 and FF7R, hopefully stuff pulled from other FF games. Total pie in the sky but maybe even some stuff from Bravely Default. Hopefully it will amount to more than 2. A remix of Bombing Mission is my main hope. Spirits are probably just stuff like the obvious Tifa and Barret with the rest of the direction imo depending on whether that is made exclusively of stuff from remake or anything is fair game. At least within the general FF7 continuity. I hope for a bit but am not expecting much. Cameos could spark some discussion even if the lack of them with Cloud but prescence of them with Sephiroth would be peculiar.

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
I really hope we get some cameos on Sephiroth`s stage. I`d love to see Aerith (may not make canonical sense but hey it`s smash) and Barret because they`re my favourites from the original game.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
While I beat Final Fantasy 7 for the first time earlier this year, I'm not overly familiar with specific songs in that game, so I'm interested to see what music we get beyond some form of One Winged Angel (whether it's the original version, the Advent Children version, or something else). ...Unless it winds up being like Cloud in Smash 4, and we just get One-Winged Angel and One-Winged Angel (Advent Children Edition).

Hopefully we get songs from other Final Fantasy games beyond 7 as well, even if they're just added through Mii costumes. Dancing Mad, or at least one of the four phases, would be amazing, and while I haven't played Final Fantasy V, Battle on the Big Bridge gets talked about a lot, and it sounds like it'd make for a great addition.
If you want to know songs i have a List in the spoiler
J-e-n-o-v-a (Bossbattle theme of the first and third jenova Bosses and Hojo plays in the place of the stgae)
Judgement Day (final Dungeon Theme makes sense for the stage)
Birth of a God(Sephiroth first phase battle music)
Those chosen by the planet(Sephiroths encounter Theme)
FF7 Main Theme(plays in the Overworld)
Highwind(do i need to explain)
Aeris theme(self explanatory)
Dungeon medly?(just some dungeon themes)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So do you guys think we are just getting FF7 costumes with Sephiroth or other FF costumes as well? I'm at least expecting a Tifa costume and the Chocobo costume to return.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So do you guys think we are just getting FF7 costumes with Sephiroth or other FF costumes as well? I'm at least expecting a Tifa costume and the Chocobo costume to return.
I'm expecting the Chocobo hat, Tifa, Barrett, and Aeris, though I'm hoping for costumes from other Final Fantasy games like Black Mage/Vivi, Terra, Kain, or Gilgamesh. A Moogle would make a lot of sense as well, whether it's a hat or a big fluffy-looking mascot costume.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533

That's so edgy, i love it. I sure hope you're right because it fits the character so damn perfectly.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
We'll get Tifa don't you worry.............she's gonna be a Mii Brawler Skin, with Barret as Mii Gunner

amageish

Smash Master
It's hard to say, honestly. I imagine FF7 costumes would sell well and it is easy to fill a Mii Costume pack with just those, given how they usually range from 4-6 costumes...

Chocobo as mii hat, Moogle as mii hat, Tifa as Mii Brawler, Barret as Mii Gunner, Aerith as Mii Swordfighter, and then we only have one spot left.

I imagine a Terra swordfighter and Warrior of Light armor swordfighter would be the two most likely of non-FF7 stuff? Noctus or Tidus or Yuna or Y'shtola could work too; Mii Costumes just often seem to go retro...

Oracle Link

Smash Master
here for everyone that wants to see it Iconic and important Sephiroth stuff
if you have Questions ask!

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I just had a thought:

The explosion attack Sephiroth uses in the trailer no doubt seems to be Firaga to me. And should you check Sephiroth when he's a party member in FF7 Classic, you'll see that he has Fire, Earth, Ice and Lightning, ALL mastered. Something tells me that Firaga is just one part of what is possibly his Neutral B, and we can choose between that, Quaga, Blizzaga and Thundaga as well. So to sum up my prediction:

Neutral B: Magic Materia
Side B: Shadow Flare
Up B: Octaslash
Down B: Scintilla
Final Smash: Supernova

Last edited:

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
So I just had a thought:

The explosion attack Sephiroth uses in the trailer no doubt seems to be Firaga to me. And should you check Sephiroth when he's a party member in FF7 Classic, you'll see that he has Fire, Earth, Ice and Lightning, ALL mastered. Something tells me that Firaga is just one part of what is possibly his Neutral B, and we can choose between that, Quaga, Blizzaga and Thundaga as well. So to sum up my prediction:

That would be a great way to represent FF magic, but I think the projectiles might the same special and it changes when the wing is out, or it's only a Kafrizz/Kaboom hybrid that coincidentally was only shown on OWA mode.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I have a feeling that unless Kirby gets a toy Masamune a la Kazooie, then Sephiroth's B attack won't use his sword. It will probably be a spell move.

Wait, how about a charged move that uses the Contain materia, where the longer its charged, the higher the spell available where Flare is the highest?

Otoad64

Smash Lord
It's hard to say, honestly. I imagine FF7 costumes would sell well and it is easy to fill a Mii Costume pack with just those, given how they usually range from 4-6 costumes...

Chocobo as mii hat, Moogle as mii hat, Tifa as Mii Brawler, Barret as Mii Gunner, Aerith as Mii Swordfighter, and then we only have one spot left.

I imagine a Terra swordfighter and Warrior of Light armor swordfighter would be the two most likely of non-FF7 stuff? Noctus or Tidus or Yuna or Y'shtola could work too; Mii Costumes just often seem to go retro...
or the geno costume could come back

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Or they go for an Onion Knight.

or the geno costume could come back
This is basically the main reason why I want to see the presentation so badly. Is it there or not there? How would I even feel if it isn't? I want to make sure I have the full picture about Geno's chances. It already skipped :ulthero:'s batch.

You might have a point. Hopefully, Sephiroth isn't the only time we get a secondary non Echo 3rd party rep.
It most likely won't, at least for next game's run. Just gotta let the moment sink in for the other companies.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Or they go for an Onion Knight.

This is basically the main reason why I want to see the presentation so badly. Is it there or not there? How would I even feel if it isn't? I want to make sure I have the full picture about Geno's chances. It already skipped :ulthero:'s batch.
His fate is determined by Thursday. If he's there, he's there. If not, that just raises more questions and confuses every side of the debate. Because if he's not there, then that's either confirming he's playable in some form down the road (which is then pointlessly treated as a secret, like how they didn't reveal Cloud in Dissidia until right before release but already showed Sephiroth right at the launch which made withholding Cloud as some sort of surprise dumb and silly) or he's excluded even as a costume which is more bizarre.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
His fate is determined by Thursday. If he's there, he's there. If not, that just raises more questions and confuses every side of the debate. Because if he's not there, then that's either confirming he's playable in some form down the road (which is then pointlessly treated as a secret, like how they didn't reveal Cloud in Dissidia until right before release but already showed Sephiroth right at the launch which made withholding Cloud as some sort of surprise dumb and silly) or he's excluded even as a costume which is more bizarre.
At that point, he'd effectively become Schrodinger's Mii. I doubt they'd leave out the costume entirely, seeing as even niche ones like Gilgamesh were brought back. Especially in the context of :ultmario:'s anniversary year celebration.

Granted, it'd be no different than the exact situation FF7's content was before Seph got in; the glaring absence of it conspicuously confirming it'd come later.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
So I just had a thought:

So he'd be similar to Hero in a way, where he's got a load of abilities that can be accessible via a menu?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So he'd be similar to Hero in a way, where he's got a load of abilities that can be accessible via a menu?
Kind of? I think I get what you're getting at, but I'm imagining the Magic Materia to be an ability similar to Shulk's Monado Wheel, while making it sort of similar to Hero's Command Selection.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Kind of? I think I get what you're getting at, but I'm imagining the Magic Materia to be an ability similar to Shulk's Monado Wheel, while making it sort of similar to Hero's Command Selection.
Oh I see what you're trying to say.

I'd be down with him having access to a lot of abilities. It'd make him quite unique to use.

That being said, I still don't want him to be overly slow lol.

There's something about Sephiroth tossing a huge ass fireball in Smash that makes me go wow, but I'm guessing that's only when he's got the wing, which I think will be similar to Joker's Arsene mechanic.

Speaking of comeback mechanic, how do you guys feel about that?

I'm hoping it'll be like Terry's GO ability, and not like Cloud's where it disappears in little to no time...

Last edited:
Top Bottom