• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Okay, fine. I'll get Fire Emblem, jeez" thread.

Spartiatis

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yerakitis
Just finished my second Fire Emblem game (the first was Sacred Stone, years ago): Path of Radiance. I finished it with 25 hours clocked and...goddamn this game is great. Ike is amazing, isn't he? Elincia, Ena, Titania, Lethe, Marcia. Hell, even Sore are such likable characters. The plot with various small plot points being revealed here and there was kinda nice. That scene with Ena and you know who in the end was so heartwarming, by the way. This game is giving Sacred Stones a run for its money as my favorite game in the series (yes, I know people hate Sacred Stones, but I loved it :'D).

So did you play it in Hard mode or Normal. Because in Hard mode there is a little of a surprise after beating him.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
So did you play it in Hard mode or Normal. Because in Hard mode there is a little of a surprise after beating him.
I played in Normal. I have no patience to play games on Hard. What would this surprise be?

PlayR489

Smash Cadet
NNID
PlayR489
I've always had the mind to get into Fire Emblem, but never the time or motivation. And just in general, other games have also been taking my interest. There are a lot of games I want to get into, and it's hard to find time to get around to them. Robin and Lucina have not really amplified this interest, though, but the return of Ike and his redesign makes me intrigued for his games in particular.

I played the demo of Awakening a long while ago, and I enjoyed it. However, I admittedly had more fun with the two Project X Zone demos, and that game is the other strategy RPG game that I am interested in as far as 3DS games go. I won't be getting to either game for a while though, because I'm being conservative with my money until I have both versions of Smash. Then after that, Hyrule Warriors and the Sonic Boom games take priority for me. And there are a bunch of games I have started, really enjoyed, but never finished yet.

Back to Fire Emblem, Awakening is the only one I will actually go out and buy. Since I can't really get any of the other games new anyway, I will just download those.

Just so I know, what's the average length of a Fire Emblem game (just to get to it's ending)?
By what method that is Non-illegal will you do this???

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
By what method that is Non-illegal will you do this???
I never specified the legality of it! :troll:

But honestly, there is no point worrying about that when Nintendo can't earn any money from me for most FE games anyway.

Last edited:

PlayR489

Smash Cadet
NNID
PlayR489
I never specified the legality of it! :troll:

But honestly, there is no point worrying about that when Nintendo can't earn any money from me for most FE games anyway.
That's a fairly good point because Gamestop/EB games/ whatever the heck would only make 30-20 Dollars Off you.:251:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
More like paying some random guy on ebay 70$+ for a copy of an old Fire Emblem game that probably isn't even mint condition.

Niala

Smash Ace
>12 year old me, playing Melee 'cause got it over the summer
>unlocks Marth for the first time
>****yeah.jpg who is this awesome swordey-dude?
>looks up info on the interweb
>discovers Fire Emblem series, awesome title so does research
>tactics game like Final Fantasy Tactics?
>Cool swordey-dudes?
>more ****yeah.jpg
>asks for new fire emblem game for Christmas
>immediately hooked for life

This post brought to you by Kellogg's Frosted Flakes in the style of 4Chan

but yeah, I basically started playing Fire Emblem the second I realized it was a thing and never looked back. Best decision I ever made.

Spartiatis

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yerakitis
I played in Normal. I have no patience to play games on Hard. What would this surprise be?

Well on Hard mode, after you beat him once, he then touches Lehran's Medallion and goes insane just like what happened to Ike's father. Which means that you must beat him again. But this time, his stats are increase by a lot. And that my friend is where you face the real Mad King.

Before touching Lehran's Medallion:

After touching Lehran's Medallion:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Well on Hard mode, after you beat him once, he then touches Lehran's Medallion and goes insane just like what happened to Ike's father. Which means that you must beat him again. But this time, his stats are increase by a lot. And that my friend is where you face the real Mad King.

Before touching Lehran's Medallion:

After touching Lehran's Medallion:
That is pretty cool. He was already hard on Normal mode... I don't want to imagine how hard he is in Hard mode.

Welcome to Smashboards, by the way!

Last edited:

Stalwartguardian

Smash Rookie
NNID
Alarith
3DS FC
0963-0545-3127
Seeing as this also seems to be a "how did you get into fire emblem" thread...
I wanted to play Fire Emblem ever since I saw an ad for Shadow Dragon with some other DS game. I never got one of them and a few years passed. Then a couple of years ago I got brawl, and I saw it had Marth and Ike in it. While that was cool it still didn't get me to buy a game. Then Awakening came out and I thought it looked pretty cool, a bunch of my friends had it but I didn't have the money to get it myself. Then a few weeks ago I finally got it for my birthday. It's been great fun. To sum up my story, no the reveal didn't cause me to get the game, but if I didn't have Awakening now I would want it even more after seeing the reveal.

MindlessFire

Smash Apprentice
I after the Robin reveal trailer, there's going to be an influx of new Fire Emblem: Awakening players with many players keeping the Avatar's default name as "Robin" along with using only the default Male or Female look. I Streetpassed two of them already.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I after the Robin reveal trailer, there's going to be an influx of new Fire Emblem: Awakening players with many players keeping the Avatar's default name as "Robin" along with using only the default Male or Female look. I Streetpassed two of them already.
I've already done my part for this. Leant my copy of Awakening to an FE newcomer. Although, I think he may have gone with "loli, eyepatch Robin with purple hair."

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Like many, I got into Fire Emblem because of Melee. Got FE7, loved it, have been and gotten every English release since, as well as playing a few of the Japan-only ones. I got the Awakening 3DS bundle when it came out (it was my only 3DS game until Pokemon X/Y) and it made me really want to see Lucina in SSB4. Lo and behold, my wish was granted. Along the way, the possibility of Robin being added also seemed like it would be a great idea, so I was pretty ecstatic while watching the trailer. I'm pretty happy to see that the trailer even got non-fans hyped enough to try the series out.

While it tends to be an unpopular opinion, Radiant Dawn is easily my favorite. I liked Path of Radiance, and then RD basically took all the good stuff from PoR and made it better, as well as getting rid of the bad stuff. What's funny is that I really loved PoR at first, but after RD it's really hard to go back to PoR, even though I can go back to the GBA FEs just fine.

And kind of on the same idea as the current topic, SSB (specifically, SSB64) also is what got me to play Zelda and Metroid, both of which I've also stuck with over the years. This series is both Nintendo's best seller and best commercial.

Novaka

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4613-8213-0086
Already was a big fan of SRPG's before I ever heard of Fire Emblem (Shining Force, FFT) and my friend had FE7 for GBA. I eventually put two and two together and realised that "Hey, this is where Marth is from" borrowed it, played it, and now it's up there with the other two for one of my more favourite SRPG's. Thanks Melee

Doesn't touch or come close to FFT, though.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
While it tends to be an unpopular opinion, Radiant Dawn is easily my favorite. I liked Path of Radiance, and then RD basically took all the good stuff from PoR and made it better, as well as getting rid of the bad stuff. What's funny is that I really loved PoR at first, but after RD it's really hard to go back to PoR, even though I can go back to the GBA FEs just fine.
RD is easily my favorite title as well. The one downside was the lame support system in RD. It was just awful.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
RD is easily my favorite title as well. The one downside was the lame support system in RD. It was just awful.
The second downside is the ridiculous chapter organization that kept switching your team up in annoying ways.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
The second downside is the ridiculous chapter organization that kept switching your team up in annoying ways.
I did like that somewhat. Not every time it happened, mind you. But I thought it was cool to switch between the groups. I was annoyed by the huge gap between Dawn Brigade control segments. The whole beginning part of the game and then just randomly in the middle of the Greil Mercenary section. Seemed odd.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
They totally retained RD's support system in Awakening. It was during the sparkly tiles and in the barracks :D

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Smash Bros.: making people buy games from Nintendo series they didn't know about since 1999.

That's the greatness of crossovers.

Hell, the Fire Emblem series owes its existence in the West to Smash Bros.
True... and Kid Icarus owes its revival to Smash Bros. as well.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
The support conversations were awful. The one true downside to the game for me, since I really do love FE's support conversations.

The support system was the best we'd seen to that point, and by that I refer to the ability to build and use support bonuses.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
Believe it or not, my first experience with Fire Emblem may never have happened.

I was in gameshop shopping for my one game that I could get every three to four months. At the time I had a DS, but none of the games for it had appealed to me so far, so I was looking at the game boy advance games. This was before gamestop but all the games in those glass cases without the boxes, so I saw the box art of the Fire Emblem game. It looked really good, but it was still too expensive for me. Thankfully, there was a used copy I was able to purchase for cheap.

I fell in love with the idea of the Tactician in FE7. A character that is essentially you directly involved in the conflict appealed to me more than I can say. I also fell in love with every single character I met, going through amazing lengths to keep everyone alive in every mission, restarting up to 20 times once just to see it through.

I was saddened beyond words when the tactician was not improved upon in Sacred Stones, but removed entirely. However, I still fell in love with the cast of colorful characters, and the branching path got me to play the game three or four times through easily before I grew tired of it.

Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn lost me. I may be one of the few fire emblem fans that doesn't particularly care for this entry, for entirely biased reasons I am willing to admit. First, they are on Gamecube and Wii respectively, neither system I had and I felt like Fire emblem had been perfect on the handheld and didn't NEED to be on the console. I couldn't take the game with me and play, and that killed my enthusiasm especially when I spent so long keeping characters alive (We're talking three or four house to beat one mission sometimes, and sitting in front of a TV for that length of time is not my thing). That's the only reason.

Shadow Dragon was okay, but felt like a step back from 8's open map with random encounters which you could use to level outside of missions. That was the major upgrade from 7, and the absence of support conversations confused me to no end.

Fire Emblem Light and Shadow was so close to the game I wanted, but never made it over here. You could finally create your own character, and you could choose your own class which was even better. You even had supports with other units, though S ranks were missing as I suppose they did not want to mess with the canon of the game they were remaking (Such as Marth and Caeda getting married).

Awakening did everything right. A player character you could customize, and could be any class with a few very passable exceptions). Could have supports with every single unit, including special recruits from late game and even the second generation, even if the romancing them part is a little odd. I hope their next title can live up to awakening, even if there won't be children characters next time.

So that's my story. apologies it's such a ramble.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
Haha, this thread is funny.

I'm guilty!

Got FE Awakening this week. It's my first fire emblem. Really enjoying it. Playing Classic Mode. Sad when my people die. On chapter 13 right now.

Using Default 1 Robin. :4robinm: Might main him in Smash 4!

UnownLegend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
UnownLegend
I feel so bad for everybody who is just now going to play through awakening and have pretty much been spoiled on the concept behind the game thanks to the robin and lucina trailer

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Robin over Chrom makes a lot of sense to me now. Although Chrom was my no. 2 most wanted, I doubt he would have spurred as much interest as Robin did, because people not familiar with FE would see him as another Blu-Haired Swordsman, and think that FE is just a convoluted series revolving around Marth and his look-alike friends. Fire Emblem is a beautiful series, and I think that it is severely underrated. But, with Awakening and Robin/Lucina's reveals, I hope that people can come to realize that Fire Emblem is one of Nintendo's best franchises, and deserves the love that Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda get. I think that Awakening is a fantastic foray into the series, and it is the best 3DS game on the market. My favorite game is Radiant Dawn though, because Ike.

Last edited:

MindlessFire

Smash Apprentice
Do you guys think that Operation Rainfall may have persuaded to Nintendo to give Fire emblem Awakening a chance and release it in the west? Seeing how New Mystery of the Emblem was never released in the west, many Fire Emblem fans thought that Shadow Dragon would be the last Fire Emblem to grace the west.

Last edited:

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
Lol, I would NOT recommend Radiant Dawn for a first-timer, one of the hardest games in the series even on Easy. At least play Path of Radiance first.
That's my case. C'mon is not that hard in easy.

And I love RD, is my favorite FE game, it gives me 800 hours of fun. But I really love Awakening too, my play time doubles RD, sometimes I have a hard time deciding for one of them as my favorite.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
That's my case. C'mon is not that hard in easy.

And I love RD, is my favorite FE game, it gives me 800 hours of fun. But I really love Awakening too, my play time doubles RD, sometimes I have a hard time deciding for one of them as my favorite.
Its not that hard for veterans of the series, but for newcomers? Yeah, yeah it is. Radiant Dawn IS my favorite game in the series, though, I'd recommend it to anyone. Just not for a newcomer to the franchise. :p

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
Its not that hard for veterans of the series, but for newcomers? Yeah, yeah it is. Radiant Dawn IS my favorite game in the series, though, I'd recommend it to anyone. Just not for a newcomer to the franchise. :p
A friend of mine is already in Part 3 and he is a newcomer. Well, I help him a bit but for the most part he manage to go that far on his own.

PlayR489

Smash Cadet
NNID
PlayR489
Robin over Chrom makes a lot of sense to me now. Although Chrom was my no. 2 most wanted, I doubt he would have spurred as much interest as Robin did, because people not familiar with FE would see him as another Blu-Haired Swordsman, and think that FE is just a convoluted series revolving around Marth and his look-alike friends.
To add onto this... I once asked some of my friends who don't know much about FE and what it was about... both answered Marth and Ike's Adventures. Neither knew about the actual game they only knew there were dudes with blue hair and swords in smash. But to be clear... Lucina is just another Blue Haired Sword-person to a non FE fan. :4lucina::4myfriends::4marth:

MindlessFire

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of Fire Emblem characters, have the die hard melee fans who want Roy back in SSB4 ever even played Fire Emblem: Binding Blade?

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
Speaking of Fire Emblem characters, have the die hard melee fans who want Roy back in SSB4 ever even played Fire Emblem: Binding Blade?
Most of them haven't, which is why I posted my argument above. It's more because they met the character in melee, and only associate him with smash instead of his respective game from his respective franchise. If they had played Binding Blade (Which you can't without an emulated translation due to 6 never making it overseas) They would understand that Lyn fro FE7 is tons better :grin:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, I see some of us are talking about how we got into the Fire Emblem series. Like many others, I got into it due to Smash, but not exactly for the same reasons most people did.

Ever since Brawl, me and my friends really enjoyed speculating about what characters would be in the next game. We'd do research, watch speculation videos, talk about why certain characters would be awesome and make move sets for them, and we'd even put together our own rosters. At that time, we had Micaiah on our roster, and to get a better idea of what she was capable of, I decided to look up some gameplay videos of Radiant Dawn. As it turned out, the Fire Emblem series looked a lot more interesting and fun than I had previously imagined (Melee and Brawl's rosters didn't leave a good impression). Eventually I ended up getting Radiant Dawn myself, and I quickly fell in love with it. I love RPGs in general, and this one was just so fun and addicting. It was enough to get into the series as a whole. One of the best gaming decisions I've ever made.

Senario

Smash Ace
Since we are on the topic of favorite fire emblem games. Of the ones I've played.

Awakening > Path of Radiance (Not by much, very close) > FE7(plain Fire Emblem) > Sacred Stones > Radiant Dawn(not a big fan of throwing away all unique supports instead going for generic ones) > Shadow Dragon(sorry Marth, you can tell that this remake feels dated compared to games like PoR or even FE7).

MindlessFire

Smash Apprentice
Prior to Robin's reveal trailer, I asked a bunch of Smash Bros players about Chrom and all they told me was they heard the he was the main character from that 3DS Fire Emblem and that he's probably gonna be put into SSB4 because Awakening was now Fire Emblem's newest iteration. Aside from that, they knew next to nothing about Awakening.

I was thinking Sakurai might have put in Robin over Chrom because he/she was virtually a unknown character to anyone who hasn't played Awakening. This might encourage some smash players who are curious about Robin to do a little research and maybe even give Awakening a try. If Chrom had been announced instead, people probably already he's from Awakening and probably wouldn't bother checking him out because people just expected him to be there in the first place.

Let me give an example on how a random person might react seeing Robin instead of Chrom:

Random Person Watches Robin's reveal trailer

1. "Huh Robin? I thought Chrom was the main character of that 3DS Fire Emblem game? Wait Robin can also be a girl?!"

2. "Wait Robin is actually the default name and appearance of the customizable Avatar from Fire Emblem: Awakening? FE: Awakening has a player character creator just like in western RPGs like Mass Effect and Skyrim? Maybe I should try out the demo at the E-Shop."

3. "I really enjoyed the Awakening demo and want to find out more about this story. Maybe I really should buy Awakening. Besides, Super Smash Bros. For 3DS won't be out for another two months so I got plenty of time."

4. "Man that was a great game! I can't wait to main Robin !"

I'm not saying that's how everyone reacted, but that above was example from one my friends.

Spartiatis

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yerakitis
In my case, it started back in 2005 where I received Path of Radiance as a gift. Someone mentioned that it had just released about a week ago. Which got me a little excited. When I saw the title of Fire Emblem, my mind linked it with Marth and Roy from Melee. After completing the game, I was addicted to it. Especially when Sephiran ends up saying a few important phrases at the end, if you know what I mean. So I researched the series and eventually came across Blazing Sword. I never owned a GBA. So I borrowed the system and FE7 from a friend. When I finished it, I felt that the series where a part of my life. Since then, I've completed every single Fire Emblem including the ones from Japan more than once via emulators on PC, except for Awakening. I will soon be buying a 3DS, but for now, I'm fine with what I have.

Below is a list of what I would recommend to newcomers and veterans according to my experience:

1 - Blazing Sword (For newcomers and veterans)
2 - Holy War / Thracia 776 (For veterans)
3 - Path of Radiance / Radiant Dawn (For newcomers and veterans)

Check my profile to see what else I play. Do not hesitate to ask me any questions.

Exate

Smash Journeyman
In response to the OP, my own situation was very similar.

I knew of FE:A's three main characters through this site and a couple of friends preemptive to the reveal trailer. As a person who was coming to terms that the Gematsu leak was probably true to the extent of every character it listed, I was wholly expecting Chrom as the rep for FE:A. With the confusion stirred by the retweet by Xenoblade's director, and the Rayman PotD, I was not expecting a FE trailer... ...that not only revealed two newcomers in the form of Lucina and Robin, but the return of Captain Falcon and total disconfirmation of Chrom as playable. I knew very little about FE at this point (and in a broader sense, this still holds true), but it still hyped me to no end.

My excitement influenced me to pick up FE:A some few days later, when I dropped by the electronics section with my roommates at our local Wal-Mart. I beat the game a couple of days ago, and I have to say I was pretty satisfied with my purchase. I'll be giving a go at future installments, and any past games I can manage to get my hands on.

CharleeAlex

Smash Rookie
Believe me, you want to train that guy up. He's bad at first, but his potential is incredible.
Wait are you serious? You're talking about Donnel right? I immediately made an account after I saw this comment haha!

I always did Donnels side quest for completion's sake, I never thought he could be useful so i just left him to rot in the barracks, does he really have potentional? If so how do I unlock it?

Top Bottom