• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official 'Xenoblade Chronicles X' Thread: Spoilers will not be tolerated!

Are you planning on getting Xenoblade Chronicles X?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

I think a better poll subject should be which BLADE division we have chosen between Curator, Harrier, Interceptor, Mediator, Outfitter, Pathfinder, Prospector and Reclaimer.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I'm a little late to the party, but I picked this beast of a game up after my final exam, and love it.

I personally went with the Reclaimers Division. The mob drops are always welcome, particularly weaponry since the ones at the shop really aren't that great from what I can tell (even with maxed AMs so I hear, there are better alternatives in the wild), so I'd rather find the better versions with better bonuses from mobs. Finding rare weapons for my team mates is always welcome, too.

My favourite class is definitely the Galactic Knight, and I knew it even before I got the game. I was stubborn and chose to start out as an Enforcer, and it was pretty tough (the game even indicates it'll be a rough time), but it is so worth it later now that I have constant melee combos and maxed Fast Forward wrecking whatever moves even 10 levels higher than me. I've maxed out a few other classes and tried them, but they really aren't my cup of tea. Of course, I'll max them all out for the skills they unlock, but I'll probably stick to the Photon Sabre and Psycho Launchers while doing so.

It's a shame that the game doesn't seem to have been received well by the majority of the public... Lots of negativity, bad reviews and the like, but personally, I welcome having a game with no hand-holding for the first time in what feels like ages. There's just so much to learn, explore and see, and there is very little punishment (arguably more rewards) for stepping into the unknown and going the extra mile to learn something new about the game on your own. Want to challenge that monster? Go try, dying won't do anything (just get out of your Skell first, lol). Want to fiddle with Probes and Augments? Go ahead, you can just swap them later if you don't like it. Don't like your class? Go change to something you think you'd like more.

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Despite the fact that I've had the game for a week now, I just started playing it today after I finally beat the original and since I'm still a bit confused by it, I must ask: How exactly do the data probes work? (or anything new in this game for that matter) :p
Probes are pretty technical (I'm still learning about them as well), but are unfortunately a pretty massive part of the game, especially later on. There's way too much for any one person to explain about them here, but my biggest tip for Probes is to not always pay attention to the Probe's "grade". As strange as that may sound, there are other factors that make a much bigger difference. A few examples of this would be:

- You Probe a new location, and check its stats, and see:

FN Site 302 (just a random number)
Production: A
Revenue: A
Combat Support: B
Sightseeing Spots: --

Mine Resources:

Or...

FN Site 302
Production: D
Revenue: C
Combat Support: D
Sightseeing Spots: 0 / 2

Mine Resources:

The second one may look worse, but it's actually exponentially better than the first one. Why? Sightseeing Spots increase Revenue income by a laughably higher amount than any grade could ever accomplish. If you discover both SS (it will say 1 / 1 or 2 / 2 if you do) in the Probe's lair, then one would always want to put a Research Probe down on this site, no matter how bad the grade on Revenue says it is. If this said Probe is in the middle of a "chain", then it would be wise to build Duplicators and Boosters around it to form a chain (won't get into that because there's a lot to it, but I'd suggest reading on it).

The exact same is true in this situation:

FN Site 302
Production: C
Revenue: B
Combat Support: F
Sightseeing Spots: --

Mine Resources: (lists off 3-5 different materials that can be mined here).

If there are multiple mining resources found on the site, even with a poor Production rating, it'd be wise for one to put a Mining Probe here, and again, if this particular Probe is at the centre of a chain, to build around it accordingly with other Probes to maximise your Miranium capacity vastly. In fact, if you build up the right Probe Chains, it is very possible to have well over 130k Credits and 100k Miranium rolling in per tick even quite early in the game.

- Note: In order to create a Probe chain, you will need Probes surrounding it to all be the same Grade (ex: Mining Probe G1, G2, G3, etc). So attempting to link a bunch of Probes with different grades will not work.
- Another important thing to remember is that Probes can be lifted back out of the ground and installed elsewhere with a fee depending on the grade, so don't be afraid of "wasting" them, because you'll always be able to get them back.

EDIT: For even more info, this thread has been pretty helpful, it even has pictures - http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/701151-xenoblade-chronicles-x/72969200

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Has anyone here done the "A Day in the Life" affinity mission yet? Where exactly in Primordia do I find some placid duoguills at so I get whatever it is I need from them?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I hate all of you because I don't have it.

Weedy Spyze

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone here done the "A Day in the Life" affinity mission yet? Where exactly in Primordia do I find some placid duoguills at so I get whatever it is I need from them?
Silent Mire, but it's much easier to buy the material you need at the Blade Barracks with the ticket things.

Anyway, I really enjoy this game, but sadly I've decided it's inferior to its predecessor. I don't find the characters as interesting as the ones from the first game--for example, I like Elma a lot, but I don't find her as endearing as the main character as I did Shulk. The story also doesn't pull me into the "world" of the game as the first one did, if that makes sense. What I dislike most however is having to grind in order to continue the story. This morning, I spent about 2 hours scouring the overworld for no damn reason other than surveying a certain percentage being a requirement for the next story mission. And now, I'm having to grind levels to unlock the next one. The first Xenoblade never made me do crap like that.

On the positive side, the battle mechanics/gameplay I find much more enjoyable in this game. I got my Skell today and it's awesome driving around in it, best mode of transportation ever.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
That's the main complaint I have about the game, having to do certain requirements to continue with the story mission, which is bull****. Like at the moment, I gotta install a data probe at the entrance to Oblivia and do the "Renewed Wild" or whatever it's called affinity mission in order to start on Chapter 5. It's gonna be a long ass ride for me to beat the game at that rate.

Weedy Spyze

Smash Apprentice
That's the main complaint I have about the game, having to do certain requirements to continue with the story mission, which is bull****. Like at the moment, I gotta install a data probe at the entrance to Oblivia and do the "Renewed Wild" or whatever it's called affinity mission in order to start on Chapter 5. It's gonna be a long *** ride for me to beat the game at that rate.
Right? Installing a data probe at Oblivia's entrance was the first instance that blocked me from continuing, and it was pointless because I just ended up going there again once I started the story mission. Encouraging exploration is great and all, but one of the best things about Xenoblade imo is exploring the vast world at your leisure. There were never any requirements to continue the story in the first game--if you were good enough to get to where you needed to go, you were good. Surveying 25% of Oblivia to continue with the story isn't me exploring at my leisure. It's me exploring because I'm forced to. Ugh.

The affinity mission requirements I don't have many qualms with, though. I actually think they're a nice addition and enjoy doing them. Plus when it comes to grinding affinity in this game, I'm glad I only have to worry about my avatar's relationship with each character, rather than each character's individual affinity. Poor Stormy Balagon, damn ******* met his fate very many times in the original Xenoblade in order for me to grind affinity...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
'Explore 20% of Noctilum' I only had 3% because of what you gave me...On the other hand, I really like that region visually. Also, Overdrive made me kill an enemy that usually takes a few minutes in a mere 7-ish seconds. Halp. I also found an exploit! When Overdrive is ending, use an art like Hundred Shells, lots of damage and long animation, the boosts Overdrive give you still stay on the whole attack!

Chrono.

I've been loving the game a whole lot.

I was immediately sorta turned off when I heard you had to level grind for quests but I've been finding myself having lots of fun. Especially because I've been able to **** around and explore when I want.

As a result I've been able to complete a lot of fetch quests without even trying.

I did hit a roadblock recently in Chapter 9, but once I grind a little more I should be able to handle it.

Quite frankly the worst thing about the game for me are the obnoxious amount of "SURPRISE *****!" moments. Noctilum and Oblivia in particular are bad about it, with indigens popping outta nowhere and whatnot. This isn't even getting into the ones hidden in plain sight (that usually turn out to be Tyrants too)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
My only problems are that I feel like some sidequests are made available too early 'The Repair Job' comes to mind, and I have to get a drop from a level 50 enemy and explore 30% of Oblivia for some regular sidequests. If this game had a more linear structure, I'd like it more. Want the players to explore? Don't force them to explore, but encourage them! Such as some stronger enemies, hoardes of treasures, useful items, etc. Not say 'nuh uh you can't go further unless you saw this'

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I personally don't mind the characters in X. The Affinity Missions do a pretty decent job of fleshing out the characters. The flaw here of course is that the average player will never complete any of them unless they're forced to, leading to a pretty half-assed feel when they finish the story and throw the game on the shelf (something that the vast majority of reviewers were forced to do due to time constraints I'm sure). This fact is known just by the sheer volume of threads popping up on every single game site with people complaining that "ahmagawd i need 1 heart with Gwin (or insert char name here) in da story? Oh noes 2 hard not phair!". The average player will probably not learn very much about anyone aside from Elma, Lin, Lao, and a select few others if they do the bare minimum, which is a shame, but it's the reality.

From a completionist standpoint though? It definitely works, and it really gives those who want to take the story slower and enjoy themselves while Probing, exploring and the like something else to look forward to even after the main story is completed. Of course, this isn't for everyone, and that's fine, but I really wish that these reviewers would stop blaming the game for this, when the issue is on them.

My main complaint about the game however is that the Gathering quests don't tell you the region of the continent that the items can be found. I think it would be helpful if the map of each continent were at least split into additional segments representing the northern, southern, eastern and western portion of it. So that instead of telling us that there are 5 Rings to be found somewhere in Primordia, it could at least state if it's in Western Primordia, Eastern Primordia, etc, to narrow it down just a bit. I'm assuming that this issue gets better later on, but for the time being, I'd rather fill up my quest logs with Tyrant / enemy challenges and skip out on the Gathering ones.

There are a few other minor things of course, such as the odd choice in text size / style, and the lack of a music volume slider, but aside from that, it's a brilliant game in its own way, albeit quite different from the first game.

Last edited:

Weedy Spyze

Smash Apprentice
I personally don't mind the characters in X. The Affinity Missions do a pretty decent job of fleshing out the characters. The flaw here of course is that the average player will never complete any of them unless they're forced to, leading to a pretty half-***** feel when they finish the story and throw the game on the shelf (something that the vast majority of reviewers were forced to do due to time constraints I'm sure). This fact is known just by the sheer volume of threads popping up on every single game site with people complaining that "ahmagawd i need 1 heart with Gwin (or insert char name here) in da story? Oh noes 2 hard not phair!". The average player will probably not learn very much about anyone aside from Elma, Lin, Lao, and a select few others if they do the bare minimum, which is a shame, but it's the reality.
I didn't say I disliked any of the characters--I just don't find them as good/memorable as the characters in the first game. Elma isn't as interesting as Shulk, Tatsu isn't as entertaining as Riki (you can't even play as him), etc. Xenoblade had 7 different party members with a handful of other important characters, and they all had a story to tell. As you said, in this game, the story basically revolves around two or three. Granted, I don't really want to judge the story's merits until I complete it--but I'm having trouble doing that because of the mission requirements. It's just a worse choice in the game design compared to how it was last time in my opinion.

Speaking of characters, what's everyone's opinion on the recruitable ones? I found most of them to be asscaves that I want nothing to do with (oh yeah, I'd love to team up with the crazy woman who tried to kill me...) and I'm just wondering if it's worth it to add them to the mix of party members I'm gonna level up. I like Phog the best thus far, because he's a blonde twink I can make shirtless, but I digress. Alexa was really enjoyable for her mission as well.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
**** Lao

His tragic backstory (especially consdering the story's circumstances, he definitely wouldn't be the only one who suffered) doesn't justify him constantly leaving his subordinates to fend for themselves or not show up for missions that you think are beneath you. You would think a military organization like BLADE would had given him an dishonorable discharge by now

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I didn't say I disliked any of the characters--I just don't find them as good/memorable as the characters in the first game. Elma isn't as interesting as Shulk, Tatsu isn't as entertaining as Riki (you can't even play as him), etc. Xenoblade had 7 different party members with a handful of other important characters, and they all had a story to tell. As you said, in this game, the story basically revolves around two or three. Granted, I don't really want to judge the story's merits until I complete it--but I'm having trouble doing that because of the mission requirements. It's just a worse choice in the game design compared to how it was last time in my opinion.

Speaking of characters, what's everyone's opinion on the recruitable ones? I found most of them to be asscaves that I want nothing to do with (oh yeah, I'd love to team up with the crazy woman who tried to kill me...) and I'm just wondering if it's worth it to add them to the mix of party members I'm gonna level up. I like Phog the best thus far, because he's a blonde twink I can make shirtless, but I digress. Alexa was really enjoyable for her mission as well.
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Tatsu, personally. He does have his moments, but the "eating Tatsu" joke has been bulldozed horribly.

I personally like L. His quotes in the heat of battle kill me every time.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
The characters are alright, in my opinion. I do like Elma a lot really. Sure she may not be Shulk but she certainly has her own moments to share. Lin can be a little ****** sometimes. Tatsu makes me wanna eat some potato chips. L's terrible English can be hilarious but at the same time, pretty stale. I don't have an opinion on the recruitable ones because I haven't been using them much at the moment, besides Irina.

Chrono.

So, what Class is everyone using?

I mastered the Longsword/Rifle path (Duelist) and now I'm working towards the Psycho Launcher/Photon Saber path (Rank 3 Galactic Knight atm)

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
I finally find the time to post my thoughts on the game... right after beating it.

To sum up my thoughts of this game...it is great. It was more than I expected and I hope everyone feels the same feelings I did while playing the game. There might be some weak points to the game but otherwise, the game is well worth over the price tag as I'm pretty sure all of you who own it know.
It is a really time consuming game if you allow it to be...otherwise it is very much possible to raze through the story once you get your Skell. The story was great, but it isn't revolutionary so to speak. It has its moments but there are some points in time where you just scratch your head and shrug it off.

For as my current plans right now...I'm looking to maximize my damage output and finishing off the last two branch classes I have left, namely Psycorruptor and Shield Trooper.
I was initially a Harrier, but I switched to Curator and never looked back-- It's just more fun focusing on exploring than just fighting.
My main weapons at the moment are Dual Guns and Longsword, although I'm looking to replace Longsword with either Javelin or Photon Blade. I'm probably gonna go with Photon Blade because lolStarWars.
I'm also working to build the end-game stuff...there are so many things to do end game it's going to take a while.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
I love this game but damn is it a timesink. Currently I am at the start of Chapter 6, and I am only grinding and looking all over the overworld.

I can't wait for skells!

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
I love this game but damn is it a timesink. Currently I am at the start of Chapter 6, and I am only grinding and looking all over the overworld.

I can't wait for skells!
It's a huuuuge time sink.
Like, I am borderline 90 hours in. (Granted, 30 of those are probably from AFKing since Miranium/Credit ticks)

Burruni

Smash Hero
Stuck...
"A Present for Hope"
It's one of those "run around this area with no direction and try to find the ranodm npc with relevant news."
Except 3 of those all in upper administrative...
Anyone got a know-how on that? Nobody's got a video up from what I can tell.

Edit: FIRST ONE IS NIGHT ONLY infront of Blade Tower.
Thanks, Xeno.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I have not played the game since the day before the Smash presentation, which was unfortunate. I plan to revisit the game over the weekend.

D

Deleted member

I have not played the game since the day before the Smash presentation, which was unfortunate. I plan to revisit the game over the weekend.
Same, I've been having too much fun with playing with Cloud in Smash but I'm going to play XCX again maybe today or Sunday.

Once I get my skell, I'm gonna model it after this:

Now I really wish I made my avatar look like Inaho or Slaine.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
I've been seldom playing the game because to get this one specific party member I want is like, the most gruesomely long tasks and it's been a real demotivator.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Nope.
Miss Fluffy Ears was actually easy to get to because I grinded quickly to get her...so I could steal her outfit.
I thought she was the last character, level wise, to recruit.
Can't think of any of the one's I've ottne being too difficult beyond levels to fight things.

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
If you spoil yourself and Google the list of ALL recruitable members you're going to know who exactly I'm talking about.
She's an absolute cutie but man is she the hardest to frikking get.

Last edited:

KingPinGamez

Smash Apprentice
For those who don't want to play it you can always watch the game on my channel! me and my bro playing and hopefully entertaining all of yasss

Weedy Spyze

Smash Apprentice
I know I complained about requirements to keep you from completing the story before, but honestly at this point I'm enjoying doing the sidequests more. They do a much better job at the world building I was talking about before. Plus, the story kind of took a nosedive in quality after chapter 6 or so imo. For the record, if you want to view every character's heart to heart, make sure you do it for the story characters before chapter 9.

Last edited:

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
I know I complained about requirements to keep you from completing the story before, but honestly at this point I'm enjoying doing the sidequests more. They do a much better job at the world building I was talking about before. Plus, the story kind of took a nosedive in quality after chapter 6 or so imo. For the record, if you want to view every character's heart to heart, make sure you do it for the story characters before chapter 9. You lose one of them for good once you start that chapter.
The story is somewhat decent so far (just started Chapter 11), but it is rather disappointing compared to the more story-driven XC. But you are indeed correct, I find myself really enjoying the sidequests. In that way, the game is kinda similar to Majora's Mask while XC is similar to Ocarina of Time because of how story-driven they are.

Thankfully, Takahashi stated he would like to create another story-driven game similar to XC for his next project. He also said that his next project will have a different "feel and look" to it compared to XCX, whatever that means.

Weedy Spyze

Smash Apprentice
The story is somewhat decent so far (just started Chapter 11), but it is rather disappointing compared to the more story-driven XC. But you are indeed correct, I find myself really enjoying the sidequests. In that way, the game is kinda similar to Majora's Mask while XC is similar to Ocarina of Time because of how story-driven they are.

Thankfully, Takahashi stated he would like to create another story-driven game similar to XC for his next project. He also said that his next project will have a different "feel and look" to it compared to XCX, whatever that means.
How the **** did you beat the chapter 10 boss? That thing is the definition of bull.

And that's a good comparison. But the first Xenoblade had great sidequests in addition to an amazing story.

Shog

Smash Ace
So I got my Skell, and as everyone else, I jumped of the cliff in the desert/canyon like area (Oblivia or however its called) to get to the Level 5 Probe, and died with the Skell.

Than I got it back...

and now i am struggling understand how to combat. Like for real, I saw people killing Level 90 Tyrants with Level 60 characters with "Overdrive", and I still have no clue how Overdrive works :/

Top Bottom