• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Thread For the Sal Romano/Gematsu Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
What I find funny is how the leaker says they are still not sure whether they want to cut Ness or Lucas. This decision should have been made 1-2 years ago.
Yeah the roster was already stated to have been completely decided before they started. Don't think "character DLC" will alter the roster.

Whatever you do, Sakurai, just please let me have my Dry Bowser costume in these games!
Yes, I need my Outset Link costume.

That character DLC is being considered and that the leaker feels that they are being greedy.
I don't think Nintendo would let the image of greed negatively be stamped on a franchise that is going to be huge for their image as a company and the image of the Wii U and 3DS. I think the "character DLC" was misinterpreted between the tipper and leaker and is, as I've stated, something more cosmetic or more centered on changing play for "for fun" mode.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
What characters, Lucas and who else?
The leaker never said Lucas would be character DLC. It didn't say WHO would be character DLC. The only thing in regards to Lucas is that they weren't sure if Lucas or Ness would be cut, but Lucas was likely getting the cut.

...and based on the way the line was worded, it could mean Lucas was "making" the cut, AKA, Lucas was the one getting in instead of Ness. Of course, most people believe it to be the opposite.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
What characters, Lucas and who else?
That's all that was stated, they didn't give details as to what they meant by "character DLC" or who might be available as said DLC if it is indeed referring to additional playable characters. Lucas was mentioned in a different part of the message, where he said they are probably going to cut him, but no reference to whether he might become DLC or not was made. The general consensus is that he would basically be the #1 candidate for such post-release content, for what it's worth.

Dracometeor

Smash Apprentice
IMO DLC characters would kill the selling potential of future smash titles. I mean, what is the greatest selling point of every new smash game? it's the character roster. Why have DLC characters when you can save those characters for the next smash game? (which would probably drive sales of future consoles but that's besides the point)

If Megaman, Pacman, Lilmac, and Greninja isn't enough to satisfy your needs then I don't know what to tell you. Even games like Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Street Fighter doesn't do DLC characters because they understand the selling point of every iteration of the game. It's the characters. (They had Jill and Shuma Gorath but those were day-one-on-disc-dlc)
The problem is they make smash games in an 7 year span give or take.
That is a lot of time spent developing nothing for a game series for 7 years. Almost no other fighting games have gaps that large. Where it makes sense to be just developing the next game and not doing dlc.

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
The problem is they make smash games in an 7 year span give or take.
That is a lot of time spent developing nothing for a game series for 7 years. Almost no other fighting games have gaps that large. Where it makes sense to be just developing the next game and not doing dlc.
But Sakurai turns his attention to other games that he develops, we'll most likely be getting a Kid Icarus after Smash. The core team could focus on patches and stages, but something like new characters would be something that Sakurai himself would probably be in charge of. We'll see though, just something to keep in mind that even though Smash is quiet for 7 year, the game developer isn't.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
The games are essentially finished by now, so now would be the time they would be deciding what they want to do as far as post-release support goes. What I find funny is how the leaker says they are still not sure whether they want to cut Ness or Lucas. This decision should have been made 1-2 years ago. Either his information is quite outdated or they are in fact cutting characters so they can release them as DLC. I'm leaning toward the first of those two possibilities being the case, especially looking at "Pokemon from X/Y."

I don't think they would add more custom moves (or an entirely new Mii Fighter option, which would essentially be a new character), but costumes do seem rather likely. As for the amiibo manufacturing, I don't think they'd mind releasing more money-making merchandise such as that. But yeah, I could see them releasing either costume packs or maybe even packs with new characters and costumes. Whatever you do, Sakurai, just please let me have my Dry Bowser costume in these games!
I would argue that the 3DS version is done, but if the Wii U version was done, we would have a release date. Also I find it fishy that the leaker would wait as long as he did to "leak" the information.

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
IMO DLC characters would kill the selling potential of future smash titles. I mean, what is the greatest selling point of every new smash game? it's the character roster. Why have DLC characters when you can save those characters for the next smash game? (which would probably drive sales of future consoles but that's besides the point)

If Megaman, Pacman, Lilmac, and Greninja isn't enough to satisfy your needs then I don't know what to tell you. Even games like Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Street Fighter doesn't do DLC characters because they understand the selling point of every iteration of the game. It's the characters. (They had Jill and Shuma Gorath but those were day-one-on-disc-dlc)
Really? I feel DLC would bolster future titles' rosters. I don't see the big N doing more than 4-6 DLC characters, and that would raise us up to 53-56 characters in the Sm4sh roster. I also couldn't see Nintendo NOT including these characters day 1 in the next smash title, thus essentially guaranteeing that titles' roster to be larger and more diverse. This also gives more people a chance to have their character included.
I really just don't understand how DLC would hurt either this roster or the next at all.

Last edited:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Costume DLC would be really nice in my opinion. My experience with League of Legends tells me that having paid for a skin for your favourite character makes that character feel ever more awesome to play as.

I do hope that this third Gematsu leak is wrong. None of it personally interests me at all.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
But Sakurai turns his attention to other games that he develops, we'll most likely be getting a Kid Icarus after Smash. The core team could focus on patches and stages, but something like new characters would be something that Sakurai himself would probably be in charge of. We'll see though, just something to keep in mind that even though Smash is quiet for 7 year, the game developer isn't.
Sakurai has said he doesn't plan on making a sequel to Kid Icarus: Uprising. The guy generally hates making sequels, which is why he has never made one aside from the Smash series.

I do think Namco themselves can be tasked with general balancing patches though, I'm fairly certain Sakurai will take some sort of break once development wraps up to make his arms recover. Even then DLC development isn't as pressing as launch development, so he can afford taking a backseat regardless.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
The problem limiting DLC for Smash, even though it seems like we're getting it, is that Namco is making the game. Meaning that Namco people would have to make the DLC and Namco probably wants their people back ASAP.

D

Deleted member

The problem limiting DLC for Smash, even though it seems like we're getting it, is that Namco is making the game. Meaning that Namco people would have to make the DLC and Namco probably wants their people back ASAP.
Getting people back quickly?

Roy confirmed as DLC.

D

Deleted member

Roy is not coming back, guys. Not even the Fire Emblem fans care about him anymore.

I don't even really want Roy back. Sure I used him in Melee, but there really is no need for him to be back, and I can always just play Melee if I want to be Roy. It's not gonna stop me from joking about him whenever time constraints and/or clones are brought up though.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
So I'm hoping that I don't get too much flak for posting this, but it is related to the Sal Romano leak so...

I recently saw a rather intriguing post on a popular Smashbros Facebook group. Supposedly the final roster had been leaked, and the person told us what characters there were, but refused to provide a link because it wasn't "safe" enough to put on FB. Because of this I figured what he was saying was total ****, but after awhile I had to admit that the characters he revealed made sense and, most of all, they were appealing to me. :)

Needless to say, the post got buried and I was unable to find it again after I reflected upon it's possibilities, but I was interested in seeing if anyone else had possibly come across this leak.

The following was said to be the final roster of the Smashbros games:

Cut: Ivysaur, Squirtle, Snake, Lucas, and Jigglypuff

All other veterans will be returning (minus Pichu, Young Link, Roy, and Dr. Mario)

Remaining newcomers: Chrom, Shulk, Chorus Men, Mewtwo (although I believe it said he would be presented as a veteran), Sceptile, Bowser Jr. (supposedly a secret character), Cranky Kong (I know right?), and Ridley (THIS would make a lot of people happy)

I'm not going to go into too deeply why I think each of these newcomers make sense, but it was mentioned that Cranky Kong was put in because the team felt the roster needed an elderly character as there had been none so far. Plus, it is canon that he was the original "DK" that went up against Jumpman.

Oh and King K. Rool was supposedly a boss character. (DON'T SHOOT ME!)

Please, let's not get too chatty about the prospect of these particular characters making it in. I just wish to know if someone else has seen or heard anything about this particular leak.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rikobomo

Smash Apprentice
So I'm hoping that I don't get too much flak for posting this, but it is related to the Sal Romano leak so...

I recently saw a rather intriguing post on a popular Smashbros Facebook group. Supposedly the final roster had been leaked, and the person told us what characters there were, but refused to provide a link because it wasn't "safe" enough to put on FB. Because of this I figured what he was saying was total ****, but after awhile I had to admit that the characters he revealed made sense and, most of all, they were appealing to me. :)

Needless to say, the post got buried and I was unable to find it again after I reflected upon it's possibilities, but I was interested in seeing if anyone else had possibly come across this leak.

All other veterans will be returning (minus Pichu, Young Link, Roy, and Dr. Mario)

Remaining newcomers: Chrom, Shulk, Chorus Men, Mewtwo (although I believe it said he would be presented as a veteran), Sceptile, Bowser Jr. (supposedly a secret character), Cranky Kong (I know right?), and Ridley (THIS would make a lot of people happy)

I'm not going to go into too deeply why I think each of these newcomers make sense, but it was mentioned that Cranky Kong was put in because the team felt the roster needed an elderly character as there had been none so far. Plus, it is canon that he was the original "DK" that went up against Jumpman.

Please, let's not get too chatty about the prospect of these particular characters making it in. I just wish to know if someone else has seen or heard anything about this particular leak.
Sounds like bull.

D

Deleted member

>text leak
>no pictures or evidence whatsoever
>Cranky Kong
>can't provide a link

Move on, nothing to see here!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Cranky's already been disconfirmed as someone was able to collect a trophy of him in Smash Run. Stop posting fake leaks, please.

D

Deleted member

Cranky's already been disconfirmed as someone was able to collect a trophy of him in Smash Run. Stop posting fake leaks, please.
Not to mention he's in the background of Jungle Japes, and seeing as how that's a past stage, Alfonzo-ing makes no sense.

TylerBlackRunIt

I'm from YouTube
3DS FC
2509-3601-8302

Another fake leaked saying King K. Rool is a boss character.
resized_grandma-finds-the-internet-meme-generator-oh-gee-here-we-go-bff324.jpg

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Frankly, no leak is even worth bringing up anymore if it isn't from Sal. Over the two years since we saw the game, he is the only person who has any credibility. Maybe around September we might have some other legitimate leaks, but until then, it's just people looking for attention at this point.

Plus if you can't check your facts on what is and isn't confirmed, you shouldn't even bother trying to fake a leak. Still not as bad as the person who said Metal Mario was playable and the metal box was gone....a day or two after the metal box was shown in the Direct lmao.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Frankly, no leak is even worth bringing up anymore if it isn't from Sal. Over the two years since we saw the game, he is the only person who has any credibility. Maybe around September we might have some other legitimate leaks, but until then, it's just people looking for attention at this point.

Plus if you can't check your facts on what is and isn't confirmed, you shouldn't even bother trying to fake a leak. Still not as bad as the person who said Metal Mario was playable and the metal box was gone....a day or two after the metal box was shown in the Direct lmao.
I mentioned earlier in this thread that we could very well see a legitimate leak of the final overall roster next month. The one we just saw here in this page ain't one of them. That is a real stinker.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
In July? What happens in July that would show us the final roster?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Nothing. Just a theory of mine. Didn't the legitimate Brawl leaks start a few months before the Japanese release of Brawl?
Nah, actual picture proof only started popping up 1-2 weeks before the JP release. Other than that it was just a few text leaks, none which stated everything at once, people had to stitch all the legitimate leaks together to figure out what the final roster was, so we did technically already know the entire roster ~a month before release, just without any conclusive evidence.

Last edited:

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Apparently Serebii was privy to the Pokemon related information in the game before any of the legitimate leaks, and if I recall correctly was pretty good about deconfirming things if he could for a while, though I may be remembering that last part wrong. The full roster was leaked I believe sometime in either the late fall or early winter of 2007, but it wasn't immediately apparent to most that it was legitimate. Nintendo made a few slip ups prior to Brawl's Japanese release which revealed Ness (and maybe Lucario. I can't quite remember) by showing off those little head icons in a commercial. That happened like only a few weeks before Brawl actually came out though.

Of course I don't think we ever learned what the relation of the Brawl leaker had to Nintendo, so there's no way to say if we'll get a similar leak at a similar time frame.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Look people, I was pretty sure that the leak was illegitimate although, of course, I wasn’t certain, and I was wondering if others may have been aware of it or perhaps that I missed something because the character choices were appealing to me. Worth a shot… You never know after all. :)

I meant no harm.

I wasn’t sure that finding a trophy of a character was necessarily a dis-confirmation, but I suppose if it’s being acquired through 1 player without playing as the actual character… Would you mind giving me a link of Cranky being collected? Suddenly the idea of an elderly character being in smash sounds great to me.

Not to mention he's in the background of Jungle Japes, and seeing as how that's a past stage, Alfonzo-ing makes no sense.
I’m not sure what being a past stage has to do with it. They altered the water did they not? Plus, he was only a shadow, so I don’t think that would be difficult to remove.

Last edited by a moderator:

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
Or a veteran?
Seeing as how everyone lined up on the bottom is a newcomer/"guest" I doubt it's a vet.

But ehn it's just looks like another "WHO WE HAVE SO FAR" list while hinting that there will be more.

Which was a given...

Also the characters are ordered weird in general, usually same series characters are next to each other, so definitely not a character select screen hint.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Reading it over, it's basically another preview list. It does not state anything that we don't already know let alone this potential leak.

Time to get back on topic.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Nintendo made a few slip ups prior to Brawl's Japanese release which revealed Ness (and maybe Lucario. I can't quite remember) by showing off those little head icons in a commercial. That happened like only a few weeks before Brawl actually came out though.
Yeah, I remember. It was a video previewing the game that showcased stickers and how they power up characters for SSE. Jigglypuff, Lucario and Ness were shown where at the time, they were not announced. Then, shortly after, that video was removed and they had an edited version removing those characters (the icons/character heads that details what characters are able to use these stickers). People seriously argued that Ness was Pokemon Trainer because they did not want to believe. I see the same thing with this leak- people don't want to believe the leak even though at this point it is seemingly 100% real.

Anyhow, that picture of that magazine/flyer- that last slot has to be a new character just as @ NoiseHERO NoiseHERO predicts. Shulk or Chrom...

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
Reading it over, it's basically another preview list. It does not state anything that we don't already know let alone this potential leak.

Time to get back on topic.
I can MAKE IT on topic!

People have said the silhouette looks like Shulk's sword.

I dunno.

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521
Shulk reveal...? What now...? I don't see a silhouette...
I believe he was joking, judging by the img of the cross-eyed cat.

But in regards of this image, can someone translates the text that is next to the ??? slot box, to see if it says something relevant?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom