• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Official Technical Issues Q&A thread (TV's, Controllers, gamecubes, etc)

Kadano

Magical Express
@ Stride Stride Use a metal saw to cut a flathead notch into the screw’s head, then use a flathead screwdriver to get it out. That’s what I would do, at least.

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
Is there any way to tighten a loose thumbstick or do I have to get a new controller all together.

Kadano

Magical Express
Is there any way to tighten a loose thumbstick or do I have to get a new controller all together.
There is, see the second link in my sig (just above your post). It’s unlikely the amount of work and precision necessary will be something you’ll want to put up with, though. (At least I think so.)

Last edited:

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Quick question. Is there any method, homebrew or otherwise, to launch a Gamecube disk on a Wii without a Wii remote? I know how to work with backups but I have no means to right now, and I'd to be able to boot right into either melee or pm without the remote.

Kadano

Magical Express
Quick question. Is there any method, homebrew or otherwise, to launch a Gamecube disk on a Wii without a Wii remote? I know how to work with backups but I have no means to right now, and I'd to be able to boot right into either melee or pm without the remote.
Not sure about Gamecube discs, but I start a Melee .iso from an SD card using only a Gamecube controller. (BootMii + DIOS MIOS Lite + USB Loader GX)

I don’t fancy the Wii console in general, I prefer using Gamecubes whenever possible. So I’m no expert with Wiis.

Last edited:

NFreak

Smash Journeyman
Not sure about Gamecube discs, but I start a Melee .iso from an SD card using only a Gamecube controller. (BootMii + DIOS MIOS Lite + USB Loader GX)

I don’t fancy the Wii console in general, I prefer using Gamecubes whenever possible. So I’m no expert with Wiis.
Yeah, I was considering that. Only thing is I have 20XX on the SD card for my own practice, and it gets annoying switching it over every time I want to play the real thing (not enough room on the card for both, and my external hard drive is about to crap out any day now). I might just go with that though.

Kadano

Magical Express
Yeah, I was considering that. Only thing is I have 20XX on the SD card for my own practice, and it gets annoying switching it over every time I want to play the real thing (not enough room on the card for both, and my external hard drive is about to crap out any day now). I might just go with that though.
Buy a larger SD card, then? I use a 16 GB one and it works perfectly fine. I have three Melee .isos on it.

Paranoiax

Smash Rookie
Can someone recommend me a decent capture card? I'm not a very good player (working on that), but I do organize tournaments for the little community we're slowly building and we'd love to stream.

Thanks!

Y-L

Smash Champion
Is it fine to use 3rd party power/composite cables for my gc? I lost my official ones and am in need of some new ones. I see this 12 dollar bundle for both on eBay, is there any reason I SHOULDNT get these third party ones?

Kadano

Magical Express
Can someone recommend me a decent capture card? I'm not a very good player (working on that), but I do organize tournaments for the little community we're slowly building and we'd love to stream.

Thanks!
There is no one single capture card that can be recommended to everyone. (Well, actually, there is, but I don’t think you want to spend 300$ on a Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI.)

Depending on what monitors and consoles you use / want to use, how much money you are willing to spend and what kind of expectations you have concerning recording quality, video quality on the monitor and input lag, there are different cards that I would recommend. But you did not provide any of that information, so all I can state is the all-around best card available.

AnFun

Smash Rookie
A question may have been posed similar to this, but I didn't see it.
I have two screens I can use to play melee on, a visio lcd tv and a 23 inch acer monitor (yeah, bad ik)
I did some research on the lcd and they say that it runs with 8ms of lag.
My monitor says that it runs with 5ms of lag but I would need a component cable to vga adapter to play on it

So here's my question, would my tv with 8ms of lag connected to a component input have more lag then my monitor with an adapter? If so, what component to vga adapters would you recommend for optimum performance?

Moogled

Smash Cadet
question: I have 2 controllers, one black and one platinum, where if I press/hold X or Y, then press R, the R button doesn't have any effect if I press it (so if I'm in a match, pause, zoom in and try to change characters it zooms but doesn't change). This makes the controllers impossible to wavedash with using my preferred method. How can I fix these controllers?? before anyone asks I have another platinum controller which works fine when trying the same thing

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Last edited by a moderator:

Kadano

Magical Express
Someone did measure Nintendont to add lag. I don’t remember who it was though, sadly. I’ll edit the link in if I find it.

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Lorenzo The Comic

Smash Journeyman
some place pronounced like a Pokémon Website
NNID
OutboundKid
Dios Mios was "written specifically for the wii's hardware", so it doesn't support Classic Controllers or HID devices. Devolution requires you to verify your Gamecube disc on a Wii before you can use it to run Gamecube games. Therefore, I recommend Nintendont.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
My Z button is not working very well. It will sometimes grab but sometimes it does a power shield kinda thing this only happens in melee. How do I fix this?

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
My Z button is not working very well. It will sometimes grab but sometimes it does a power shield kinda thing this only happens in melee. How do I fix this?
Your Z button isn't damaged; you're simply pressing Z when you are unable to grab (because you're in lag of some sort), which causes you to buffer a shield for as long as you hold it down.

This happens because the Z button isn't really a grab button as such; it just inputs shield+A. Therefore, if you press the Z button when you are unable to act, the A input will get eaten but the shield input will still take effect if you keep holding the button down once you can act again.

To stop this from happening, just don't grab when you're in lag; wait for a little bit. Personally, if I'm going to grab immediately after lag (such as following landing from a SHFFL, or after being hit), I will often input the grab with L+A (keeping L held down until I confirm the grab animation) rather than Z; that way, if I try to grab too early then I'll just keep holding shield instead of quickly bringing up a light shield and then releasing it. It also allows me to input the grab again immediately rather than having to wait for the shield release animation to finish (you can easily mash grab like this).

This isn't really a problem in Smash 4 or Brawl because they have a universal 10 frame input buffer, whereas Melee does not (only a select few inputs can be buffered). If you're playing Melee you have to get used to timing your inputs more precisely than you have to in Brawl or Smash 4.

Last edited:

Shamunt

Smash Rookie
hi, I recently started having control stick issues where I would push it either down, or try to run and my controller just does not seem to be reading it as accurately anymore. I would have to push the stick mutiple time or push it harder for it to read. I recently replaced the stick because the rubber on the previous one was coming off and after my friend screwed it back on, the controller felt a bit different. I found out screw placement (I only had 5) actually does matter so I tried to replicate what I had before but if anyone has any more info regarding the feel then please share. Anyway, for my control stick issue, should I try replacing the stick box, or just getting a new motherboard because I really do not want to change controllers at this point. This is definitely my favorite controller and the one I am comfortable with.

Kadano

Magical Express
Might be the stickbox, might be the electronics / motherboard. If you have a PC that supports Dolphin and a GCC-USB adapter, you can try fiddling with the pots to find out which of these is the problem.

If it’s the stickbox, try to exchange it for your C-stickbox. That’s sometimes enough to make it work fine.

If it’s the electronics, put all of your hardware parts you like (stickboxes and back plate probably) from your current controller to your new one.

Smog

Smash Journeyman
I am having issues with my Wii and CRT aspect ratio's. Currently I am using LC-20E1U Sharp TV. It doesn't have much input lag, but I want to use a CRT. When I plug my Wii into my CRT the aspect ratio is set 4:3 but the top and bottom is obviously cut off a little bit. Is it my TV or my Wii, and what can I do to fix it?

I am having issues with my Wii and CRT aspect ratio's. Currently I am using LC-20E1U Sharp TV. It doesn't have much input lag, but I want to use a CRT. When I plug my Wii into my CRT the aspect ratio is set 4:3 but the top and bottom is obviously cut off a little bit. Is it my TV or my Wii, and what can I do to fix it?
Try a different CRT? If the CRT has a curved front then there might be some slight cutoff. If you have an 'advanced' (more modern) CRT then you might accidentally have it set to "zoom" or one of the "panel" options, possibly. Your Sharp LCD tv has a native res of 720, so you're getting the full top and bottom pixels there.

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
Every time I start melee on my wii it instantly restarts it, I did put homebrew on it if that answers any question about modding wii's

Smog

Smash Journeyman
Try a different CRT? If the CRT has a curved front then there might be some slight cutoff. If you have an 'advanced' (more modern) CRT then you might accidentally have it set to "zoom" or one of the "panel" options, possibly. Your Sharp LCD tv has a native res of 720, so you're getting the full top and bottom pixels there.
I tried it on 2 different TVs, both of which did the exact same thing.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Is there any reliable way to test input lag (adapter? monitor? both?) on dolphin?

Smog

Smash Journeyman
K I'm just gonna stick with my regular tv. Would component cables have more or less input lag than AV cables?

looking guy

Smash Cadet
Hey guys!! I have an issue with the stick of one of my controllers. When playing as fox or falco and I shine facing to the left and then tap up at the rigth angle, to turn around and jump just with that input and it does it just fine, but when I try to do it in the opposite direction (shine facing to the rigth and tap up at the left angle) many times it would just not work, I just turn around in the shine but do not jump, does anyone have an idea of what the problem could be and how could it be solved?, please guys I really need your help.

Last edited:

TeeDiddyDizzle

Smash Rookie
Someone did measure Nintendont to add lag. I don’t remember who it was though, sadly. I’ll edit the link in if I find it.
Is this Nintendont for the Wii? or WiiU? I have been using it for the Wii and if it really does have input lag, what is the best way to run melee through an iso for the Wii?

Top Bottom