• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Snake Video Critique Thread!

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Video 1:

40 seconds in, I think "Why is he so scared of Ivysaur. Running around like a damn fool!"

1 minute in, I realize that you are giving Ivysaur a lot of power that could be taken by simply staying calm and walking up near him and waiting. Perhaps lob a nade? But don't just pull a nade and drop it for no reason. It's only pressuring you.

1:14. At this point you've planted a dsmash at a place too far from the edge to be effective at limiting the Ivysaur (he can just get up from the ledge, and side-B/powershield it away). Also you plant riskily because he was close enough to hurt you when you planted it.

1:42. By this point you've actually successfully blown up Ivysaur. Also, Ivysaur handed you an Fsmash opportunity (bullet seed miss) and you decided to ftilt him. You should probably stop using C4's if you're going to explode them for no reason when your opponent is clearly aware of them. That's just an opening to take advantage of.

1:58. Okay I see you like dash attack. But you should learn to connect DACUS. Then you should work on connecting DACUS in both its hits. Dash attack, and upsmash. If both hits land on the opponent, it does a lot of damage, and pops them up in bad position you can take advantage of. Also, being that you dash attack more than once in 10 seconds, you should probably try being smarter. Don't do something your opponent can expect. Deceive them, always.

2:12. By now this is the second time you've fallen onto the ledge because you stood next to it and shielded. That is not a solution to any problem, and you shouldn't treat it that way.

I have to say I love your cooked grenade use. If you start using grenades for zoning correctly you'll be golden on the grenade game. Zoning is basically leaving a grenade where it'll make the opponent go "ah crap I have to shield or dodge" and then being around to punish them after they do that.

2:43. You've just nair'd three times in the past couple seconds. Brawl is not a game of "hey I think I'll start doing this". It's a game of "my opponent thinks I'll.....so I'll....instead"

By now I've realized it's 6AM and even my computer processor is tired.

Eggo

Smash Rookie
Hey I was wondering if I could get some critique. And before anyone watches these and starts bashing me or whatever for losing to Chibo, it was my first time playing offline. And on stream. And I was nervous as hell because I didn't want to play on the stream. But yeah. Help would be appreciated so I could improve! thanks a bunch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6j4ghfsXOs

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Hey I was wondering if I could get some critique. And before anyone watches these and starts bashing me or whatever for losing to Chibo, it was my first time playing offline. And on stream. And I was nervous as hell because I didn't want to play on the stream. But yeah. Help would be appreciated so I could improve! thanks a bunch

I won't be doing "you made this mistake here and here" this time. I realized how useful just general commentary goes if you refer to the whole game the other day when I was teaching my friends.

Anyway here goes:

Based on match 1, as your opponent, I would start reading that you ALWAYS drop from cypher with a grenade or grenade throw. Simply tapping down on the control stick will drop you from the cypher without a grenade and just as early. That can be just as useful.
Now watching match 2: don't go for empty grenade tricks next to the ledge if they won't blow up your opponent. Also, don't drop from a platform predictably. Stand there and shield a hit once in a while so they think they have to attack. Or drop with a backair if you think it will land or save you damage.

When you feel pressured against Rob, throw less grenades. The grenades are only good when your head is clear, otherwise they're just more to worry about. Never treat a nair that won't hit or a grenade pull that won't save you as a solution to your problem. It just shows vulnerability and gets yourself down as well as screwing you.

Your fundamental matchup assumption with not approaching Rob unless it's a DACUS seemed to hurt you. I personally think it's all about Snake's body in this matchup, the projectiles are a losing fight.

By third game you were nonsensical. Just focus on the basics and doing them right. Realize what is the main reason you are doing bad and deal with it.

I'm not sure, but I think you can footstool Rob to avoid his Nair. Either you have to time this right so he doesn't see it coming or you don't even need to do that because the nair doesn't hit a footstool midair. I'm not sure right now.

I'm also not sure but I think low recoveries hurt you every time you did them, more so than a high recovery would have. Sometimes you got to take a well DI'd hit to get some height. Better than being reset in a bad position.

I do hope it is obvious to you that sometimes your B-reversal grenades (especially near the ledge) were poor decisions. I'm assuming that you either just learned B-reversal recently or had a conversation/friendly that made you overvalue them. Either that or it's always been a nervous habit.

Overall I was very impressed! For a first tournament, until the last match you held your cool like a cucumber! If you 2-0'd him he would have been shattered! I think Chibo, like most decent ROB mains, probably prides himself on beating Snakes in tournament. As such, you did well for putting up with such experience and confidence.

lightvash

Smash Cadet

you did really good. although I don't agree with playing so aggressively that matchup, I don't think that was your downfall. you just choked and let your nerves get to you. I'm positive you would have won if you were more relaxed. besides that, I think u should slow down and react more so that you're not doing things out of habit and can choose the best option in any situation. great first tourney performance tho!!

:phone:

BloodyBoom

Smash Cadet
NNID
davidianyo
I already posted this vid in the Q&A for another reason, but I'd like people to critique it if they have the time.

http://youtu.be/SRSFC3fPWpE

It's a good match vs wario. Thanks in advance!
I don't know if I have a place to speak given that I'm not the strongest Snake but I can say a couple things.

I think you did really good and you knew what you were doing in that matchup. Honestly I'm quite impressed. As for the downsides, you should never chase Wario offstage. I don't know if that random C4 detonation was supposed to be a sticky, but it's not much of a reason to potentially risk your stock.

Don't jump after Wario. He can truly juggle you for ~60% if he doesn't have you offstage by then. Wario rules the air, and Snake rules the ground. Don't challenge his territory unless you're going for a hard read of some sort.

I noticed that even when Wario was vulnerable, you refused to take punishes while you were at high percent. Don't be afraid to go in for a tech chase, there were a couple missed opportunities. If you hide in your shield at his approach he can bite, grab, or try a mindgame.

Other than that you were really good.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Overall I was very impressed! For a first tournament, until the last match you held your cool like a cucumber! If you 2-0'd him he would have been shattered! I think Chibo, like most decent ROB mains, probably prides himself on beating Snakes in tournament. As such, you did well for putting up with such experience and confidence.
Not that much, Snake is one of my least favorite matchups, and I think it's more in Snake's favor than most other ROB mains.

etecoon

Smash Hero
Not that much, Snake is one of my least favorite matchups, and I think it's more in Snake's favor than most other ROB mains.
who doesn't think this is way in snake's favor? I don't give snake a lot of credit in general but he has to be one of ROBs worst MUs, I main MK(ROBs official worst MU) and I don't find snake much more difficult against ROB(and it depends on the ROB, if they aren't extremely proficient at edge guarding and juggling, snake slaughters ROB if he can stay grounded a lot)

How do you critique teams at all?
Anyway, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9dEO3zv3yc&feature=plcp

0:04 should have powershield -> ftilt or grab.
0:21 why nair?
0:23 not sure the purpose to b-reversal while under rob.
0:28 2nd jump c4 stick -> b-reversal attempt... not sure what purpose this serveswhen rob is offstage firing projectiles at you from the air
0:35 why pick nade -> run away -> b-reversal back to ledge? when nade is not even facing towards rob.
0:37 I guess a mistake to fall off and nair?
0:49 is a pivot boost grab attempt (?)
0:53 rob is below the stage you have a semi-cooked nade. I think walk to ledge turn-around nade pull might have been worth attempt. You'd have dropped one nade below the stage at him.
0:58 out of all options rob has from the ledge, 2nd jump -> uair covers the least.
1:01 run at rob while only having a fresh nade in hand. You won't have any retaliation options for the next three seconds.
1:04 2nd jump after getting hit by a nade in the air ugh. Rob wasn't even close to you or even a threat. You wasted one of your options for landing. jump is useful near an opponent, save it for those times.
1:11 you are doing a lot of those pivot boost grabs no where even close to your opponent. rob isn't a character with a super fast options tocover that much distance. You it as a read when you are closer to him.
1:14 again^
1:21 good spot to 2nd jump unlike at 1:04
1:22 uair drop on rob when he gets to the ground first umm... i dunno
1:45 this is like the 2nd time you did that edgeguard. drop two nades near ledge and roll away to nikita. No idea what the nades do other than waste time I guess o.0
I just think nikita against rob is bad since he can easily just laser you from the ledge. Its free damage on you for him.
2:29 just toss the nade up there against rob. it takes longer to get a nade up there if you pluck -> shield -> pick -> jump -> throw

Overall, I just think you, like me, and really any other snake I seem to watch just needs to work on better decision making for scenarios and depending upon the position. I feel like if we do this, we avoid a lot of unnecessary movements 2:29 is an example. By doing that, we have more time to set-up, give ourselves more options (like recovery), and give the opponent less time to **** snake up when he is doing something. It just better optimizes the game for us.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Peace, Sonic is the match up I probably know best.

You can pretty much shut down Sonic's spin dash game by merely holding a. There is a very small gap where sonic can go through the repetitive jab, but most of the time you end up jabbing him out of it or sometimes just clanking with it. Just watch out for sonic hopping right over you and bairing you out of it, but you should be able to react to that easily enough. Also, leaving a grenade on the ground in front of you forces him to jump out of it early and you can react accordingly. (It's usually hard to punish him out of his spin dash options, so I would try to predict his landing or just reset in a better position).

You can DI his dthrow down and tech>jab before he's out of the throwing lag.

Other random things I didn't necessarily see in your video, but are helpful. You should be able to PS sonic's last jab. If you grab sonic out of his up-b (don't pummel or throw) sonic is dead. One of sonic's favorite ways to kill is to predict landings with a stutter step fsmash, so watch out for those when you're in kill percent.
Here's part of a quote from a previous sonic match critique that I think is helpful vs sonic.

Then some things I noticed about your match specifically. That sonic is super super aggressive, which should make punishing him really easy. You take advantage of it at times, but I feel that it almost overwhelms you because it looks like you start trying to match his playstyle. You go super aggro most of the match, putting yourself in the same situations to get easily punished. His playstyle seems to be to try and stay as close on you as possible, to force you into predicting his actions by dodging or whatever, and he punishes your lag.

Sonic is a pain to understand everything he's doing at first, but you should be able to react to most everything he does. He spin dashes at you, throw up your rapid jab. If he straight up runs at you, retreat with a timed reverse grab. He jumps in the air near you, just shield and wait for him to either land, or jump away, or attack your shield and react accordingly. Basically with sonic, you just need to try and slow the match down to snake's speed, and not sonic's speed. That doesn't mean camping hard core, but just realizing that besides his speed and ambiguity of what he's doing, Sonic doesn't have much going for him. Also, grabs and dthrow tech chases are very effective in this matchup.

You seem to have a solid snake, just focus on staying in control. With that, and more matchup experience you'll destroy that sonic. That was an unfortunate suicide at the end, you had him.

I'll check the diddy video out when I'm not so tired. Hopefully that all made sense, I have a tendency of not making sense when I'm exhausted lol. Had nine hours of school and four hours of hw today...

Dekillsage

Smash Lord
Your play is very sloppy and mashy. You don't really have any sense of grenade placement and you throw out moves just to throw them out. You don't let up, you're too aggressive and because of it you take unnecessary damage and put yourself in spots to die or take damage. Stop jumping at random times or when you're under pressure. Snakes jump is too slow for that option.

When you recovered high you would always do C4 or nair to get off your cypher. C4 is fine but learn how to breversal to land better and stop doing nair.

Learn how to use your grenades and c4. Don't just put them anywhere and throw nades just to throw them. Remember that you can cook your grenades and drop them from your opponents hands if they pick it up. You didn't control any space or force your opponent into respecting your zone. Build your own wall! Also remember that hard tossed nades to like 4% on hit fresh(I think...)so you can kinda use em like a falco lazer if you need that little bit of chip damage.

If you jab1 and miss because your opponent rolled behind you don't spotdodge. You have to react with turn around grab or turn around jab/ftilt1. There's no advantage from spotdodging after you whiff a move.

Pay attention to how many times you used a move. Game 1 you couldn't take off the first stock because you kept doing ftilt and it was beyond stale. If you jab1 someone in the air utilt. Grab them and go for the kill off a dthrow. Punish a whiffed attack with utilt, or if you predict they're going to press a button utilt. Dash attack is 5 frames, punish landings with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWQ6l7rSWPc&feature=player_detailpage#t=326s
This was really good. You did upsmash and jabbed his side b. It's simple but the option coverage was good.

Just take your time and pick your moves better. If you want to play aggressive that's fine, but just doing attacks without any thought or placement isn't being aggressive. It's being dangerous ;)

May shout out some nonsense (in an attempt to offer suggestion) to these latest few videos later depending upon day.

Dekillsage

Smash Lord
Late reply. Just a few things.
Try not to jump at metaknight as much. A lot of positioning was lost and damage was taken whenever you jumped at him.

@http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=52Dpc5HB-_M#t=240s
You should have gone for a grab punish instead of jab ftilt. Pummel ->Dthrow would have given you the damage and a chance at killing him. Hm, but maybe the grenade would have been in the way :(

Don't get impatient and take your time. You take too much damage and get put in situations where you can die because you would try to go in and force a kill.

Also change the timing on your grenades. Your placement is good but you don't change the timing on their explosions. You could even just got for bits of damage by dropping them and hard tossing them at metaknight.

Other than that really solid play :shades:. Hope there's more videos in the future to watch :)

Wilmenz

Smash Journeyman
Thank you dude, whenever i jumped at him i was just trying to upair him out of his dair camping, but the Uair didn't come out for inputting it so fast. I'll take into account what you said about the nade timing though, again thanks for your help and i'll also try to get more matches uploaded.

lightvash

Smash Cadet
Thank you dude, whenever i jumped at him i was just trying to upair him out of his dair camping, but the Uair didn't come out for inputting it so fast. I'll take into account what you said about the nade timing though, again thanks for your help and i'll also try to get more matches uploaded.
up air is pretty hard to time to punish dair camping. what u could do is take a grenade out, pick it up and then hard throw it down. that or up smash, which also works well against nado. but overall you did really well against m2k. use up smash!!

:phone:

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
Im a german smash player and i main Fox,Snake,Samus and Marth. Here is my snake against a Wario http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUtR99_BdD0
Here against ramin's marth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEODvoCcG-k&feature=relmfu (Third match)
your Punish game against Ramin was really good! Keep that up.
just a few little mistakes like that sticky C4. Don't let that thing explode right away but wait with that a bit longer. He will get scared and tries to get it off where you can make a great read out of. Other then that great job.

Sodrek

Smash Cadet
Thx GOofyGV, i was very excited playing against Ramin a mm, i NEVER explode myself x) But Thx :D

RvlvRBobcat

Smash Apprentice
Hello there.
A friend of mine, who happens to be the best of our region asked me to post some videos here to see what you guys think. He doesn't know English, so I do it for him.

Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YibovqStLJc (vs. :bowser:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V6mGcYHozw (vs. :falco:)
Your friend has great pressure game, great reaction time and DI capability. Not only that, but his game doesnt start until he is above 100%.
Your friend also knows how to capitalize well on people's little errors, and then proceeds to make them bigger.

Overall opinion: he's got a solid snake :awesome:

D

Deleted member 189823

Glad you think so. Personally I have it really tough getting punished by the slighest mistake.

Top Bottom