• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Should/Will Metaknight be banned?" Thread (LISTEN TO THE SBR PODCAST!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
You completely misunderstood me.

I never ONCE said Marth was as good as MK, I was just saying that he has no bad matchups, so OS's argument that everyone else can be counterpicked isn't true.

EDIT: You people need to read my posts. I never once said that Marth was as good as MK!

But, 45 - 55 matchups ARE bad matchups...

Why do you think it isnt 50 - 50?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
No.

I'm not.

Yoshi is weak.

So is Marth.

If you can't win a tournament consistently...YOU ARE WEAK!!!!

Mmac

Smash Lord
Then why are you part of this discussion Emblem Lord if you have nothing more to say other than common bashing. It's not like we haven't been told our character sucks a thousand times before >_>

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Then why are you part of this discussion Emblem Lord if you have nothing more to say other than common bashing. It's not like we haven't been told our character sucks a thousand times before >_>
HEY, SAME HERE. Never would've guessed huh? >_>

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Because seeing people delude themselves is annoying.

And it's also hilarious to think that someone will think that a bad character is actually worth a d*mn just because they don't get beaten as badly in the match-up as most of the cast.

Feel free to hate me now.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
And it's also hilarious to think that someone will think that a bad character is actually worth a d*mn just because they don't get beaten as badly in the match-up as most of the cast.
*Shrug* I don't see Hugo users complaining about it. :laugh:

IC3MAN11

Smash Cadet
The Yankees my friend, are not going to the World Series, and as far as the Mk topic is concerned, I believe that regardless of this thread or string or rope or whatever you wish to call it, Mk does deserve to be used as a character in any tournament or situation. Reason being, all the people in my estimation who vote him out are just trying to take the easy way out and are too scared to take on this challenge in the joy of competition. And you call yourselves competitors. A true competitor proves the "facts" wrong and finds a way, no matter what, Just as the Ic3man has done many times. You don't like Mk? Then find a way to beat him, practice against him, play him every night, every day, every hour, until you find a way and finally call yourself a COMPETITOR...

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Because seeing people delude themselves is annoying.

Feel free to hate me now.
I hate you cuz you never answer my questions in the chat with emblem lord thread. :(

*high fives sir_0rion/charmander dude*

Dojo

Smash Champion
I'll say it even plainer. You're wrong.
No... he's not.

Yoshi is 60:40 at best against MK. In MK's favor of course....

All MK's have to do is learn the matchup. Stay in the air and space sh dairs/fairs to stay away from grabs. If you have platforms this makes it even easier.

The CG isn't enough to throw this into an even matchup. MK STILL has more options. He's STILL faster.

After playing Bwett's Yoshi for a bit I've learned you can still gimp him. Avoiding eggs is easy business. Learning to stay away from grabs isn't hard. He can't grab release to anything offstage. Yoshi can only do so much.

He win's possibly 2 out of the 10 friendlies we play.
Furthermore I 3 stocked him in tourney at HOBO 11. Then 2 stocked him the next match. He's a very strong yoshi player and ***** most MK's that he plays (Not to mention places very well for a yoshi main), but once you learn the matchup MK still takes it over....

darkspatan117

Smash Journeyman
No.

I'm not.

Yoshi is weak.

So is Marth.

If you can't win a tournament consistently...YOU ARE WEAK!!!!
Exactly so MK,Snake and maybe G&W are strong all other char are weak compared to those 3

Edit: forget that G&W has a bad matchup against Marth so in reality only MK ,Snake are worthwhile in tournament setting

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
This thread is about to reach 500 pages of what is not going to happen. =/

Meta Knight is not super broken and that's that.... as long as he don't have the Mach Tornado from KSSU that is.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
This thread is about to reach 500 pages of what is not going to happen. =/

Meta Knight is not super broken and that's that.... as long as he don't have the Mach Tornado from KSSU that is.

Thank you for evolving your idea through many illustrious points so it's easy for all of us to determine where you are coming from. You have truly, truly, changed all of our opinions on this matter. thank you for guiding us, you sir are a Smash Jesus.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Thank you for evolving your idea through many illustrious points so it's easy for all of us to determine where you are coming from. You have truly, truly, changed all of our opinions on this matter. thank you for guiding us, you sir are a Smash Jesus.
Best post so far in this thread, barely beating OS's earlier posts by a hair.

Exactly so MK,Snake and maybe G&W are strong all other char are weak compared to those 3
lol.

fallenangemon0

Smash Journeyman
Either way... Isn't it best to just collaborate with the tourney hosts to decide a ban before the tourney? My town is having a major tourney so Ill talk to the host and see if we can ban him and post the reasults.

kupo15

Smash Hero
About the Marth having no bad matchups, next best character, like MK thingy.

Differences between MK and Marth
Marth does not have as good a gimping game as MK
Marth is easier to gimp
Marth has noticeable lag
Marth is worse dealing with projectiles
Marth has some worse stages

Master Raven

Smash Master
Um I'm pretty sure no one is delusional into thinking Marth is almost as good as MK. They are talking about matchups numbers, and matchup numbers ONLY.

darkspatan117

Smash Journeyman
If Mk get banned then Marth will be much more viable in tourney

Raven: If your talking about matchup than Marth is the 2nd best in the game, He' s only disadvantaged against Snake and DDD and that's 45:55 for both but for the character Snake>>>Marth

darkspatan117

Smash Journeyman
For the record only G&W and DDD are better than Marth and always remember that

Marth>Falco and R.O.B I have no idea why sbr tier list is saying they're better than Marth

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Were you pro-ban anti-ban or neutral before you played in this tournament?
Don't even ask him that, he's already biased enough as it is...

Those tournament results looked great, and I read alot of positive feedback from the people in the thread these tournament results came from.

There's always ONE person who goes against the current. It's annoying.

AdamSakuru

Smash Cadet
Well, I'm a n00b at smash (when it comes to knowing stengths and weaknesses of characters etc...)

I don't really see what the big deal about metaknight is?

The first rumour I ever heard was that if you combined your melee skills and used him he was the cheapest character in the entire game.

The only good MK players I've seen have been 100% cheap, they'll usually tornado attack/counter attack the entire match and draw you into traps to perform varios attacks on you.

But, seriously, it's just the player being cheap, am I right?

I main mario, he's not a character you can be cheap with as I figured...but my friend told me one time I was being pretty cheap since I was abusing throws one match.

My point is, any character can be cheap, if the player is being cheap, am I right?

darkspatan117

Smash Journeyman
In plus of having no bad matchups(Taked from EL thread): He excels at all the fundamentals of this game.

Spacing, poking, being safe, having the options to deal with bad situations, safe kill moves, having a spammable move that the majority of the cast can't deal with, insane recovery, can't be edge guarded.

He is just...on a whole different level.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Well, I'm a n00b at smash (when it comes to knowing stengths and weaknesses of characters etc...)

I don't really see what the big deal about metaknight is?

The first rumour I ever heard was that if you combined your melee skills and used him he was the cheapest character in the entire game.

The only good MK players I've seen have been 100% cheap, they'll usually tornado attack/counter attack the entire match and draw you into traps to perform varios attacks on you.

But, seriously, it's just the player being cheap, am I right?

I main mario, he's not a character you can be cheap with as I figured...but my friend told me one time I was being pretty cheap since I was abusing throws one match.

My point is, any character can be cheap, if the player is being cheap, am I right?
Your conception of 'cheap' is different from the majority's conception of it. And if throws are cheap to your friend, then he has to get better at the game, because grabs are easily avoidable.

AlexX

Smash Ace
Yeah, but your using the no bad match up as a justification for either Marth to be banned next. We're saying that won't happen because Marth isn't as good as MK.
No, I didn't say that, either.

Again: READ MY POST. I was saying we need specific ban criteria so that Marth WON'T be at risk of getting banned since it's obvious he's not as broken, despite also having no disadvantaged matchups.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
No, I didn't say that, either.

Again: READ MY POST. I was saying we need specific ban criteria so that Marth WON'T be at risk of getting banned since it's obvious he's not as broken, despite also having no disadvantaged matchups.
The ban criteria is that Meta is ridiculously overpowered and is greatly affecting the tourney scene in a dominating fashion.

AlexX

Smash Ace
The ban criteria is that Meta is ridiculously overpowered and is greatly affecting the tourney scene in a dominating fashion.
But the problem is he's beatable by other characters. You can select someone at a 6-4 with him and still win, which is why this whole debate is going on. If he was truly incapable of losing to anyone but another MK like people keep acting, we wouldn't be having this debate.

darkspatan117

Smash Journeyman
In plus of having no bad matchups(Taked from EL thread): He excels at all the fundamentals of this game.

Spacing, poking, being safe, having the options to deal with bad situations, safe kill moves, having a spammable move that the majority of the cast can't deal with, insane recovery, can't be edge guarded.

He is just...on a whole different level.
Here the reason

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
people need to realise that having no disadvantageous matches is not the same as having no even matchups.

yes other games have had characters with no disadvantageous matches

no other games have NOT had LEGAL tourney character that had an advantage against every other character on every stage in the game.

the two are not the same. so people need to stop arguing a moot point.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
But the problem is he's beatable by other characters. You can select someone at a 6-4 with him and still win, which is why this whole debate is going on. If he was truly incapable of losing to anyone but another MK like people keep acting, we wouldn't be having this debate.
But how often are you going to win this 6:4 match? If we are talking about two top, evenly skilled players the Meta Knight is going to win much more often.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
MK isn't unbeatable, then he'd be banned by now, but with no bad matchups and no real CP stages that hurt him, plus having a great recovery, priority, speed, disjointed hitboxes, spammable kill moves, the list goes on, he is amazing, he is overpowered, no one's saying he is unbeatable.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I say instead of banning MK, just ban Mach Tornado. Granted MK would still clearly be the best, but then at least some of the characters that could actually compete with him(DK,DDD), wouldn't be losing simply because of one move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom