• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR-B Brawl Tier List v3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott!

Smash Lord
It is true that PT is gonna continue to rise. He's a pretty decent character...
They've been saying since Brawl first got going that PT was full of potential and that it was just a matter of time before he really got going. It seems like he's finally getting somewhere. Good for him, too. With three different characters, there's so much room for potential that I'm glad he isn't a lost cause.

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
I'm a Sonic fanboy.

I hated his style of play when I first got the game, realized then that he didn't feel right.

Moved on to Ike, I'll tell you I didn't know one thing about him except he was apparently going to be in Brawl.

Yeah, fanboys affect the silly tier list.

Also FMOI, maybe you got turned down because you were wrong? :)

I'm also going to lol @ people who suggest that he is now higher more people will pick him up... at least what is true is that once people start figuring him out, it will be harder... but certainly nobody is going to want to bother with him or progressing his metagame oh no sir he is much too complicated of a character for that.
There's not a lot left for sonic's metagame. Unless some new AT found, which seems very very unlikely.

Tbh though, I'd like to see his footstool combo being incorporated at higher percents, or maybe other ways of trying to start it.

Shark Week

Smash Apprentice
i still think it's funny that i was saying pt was mid tier since the ****ing beginning and everybody slapped my nuts for it, and now look where we are - pt is low mid, and everybody thinks he actually deserves a little higher.

just let me know if you guys want to know how next year's super bowl game turns out, i'll be more than happy to share my power of always being right with the rest of you.

EDIT: looking back over my old posts, i was wrong about wario. i thought he was low high tier at best... woops.

Paranormalsin

Smash Ace
i still think it's funny that i was saying pt was mid tier since the ****ing beginning and everybody slapped my nuts for it, and now look where we are - pt is low mid, and everybody thinks he actually deserves a little higher.

just let me know if you guys want to know how next year's super bowl game turns out, i'll be more than happy to share my power of always being right with the rest of you.
please do give me the results, full with the game score and two teams with their records, wins-losses please.

more on topic, people can guess where the characters will go, regardless of what one thinks, it may be right, it may be wrong.
just because you called one thing doesnt mean brag. in my opinion, i think PT is right where he needs to be. 3 diff characters, 3 different ways to play, many MANY options for each match up

Shark Week

Smash Apprentice
please do give me the results, full with the game score and two teams with their records, wins-losses please.

more on topic, people can guess where the characters will go, regardless of what one thinks, it may be right, it may be wrong.
just because you called one thing doesnt mean brag. in my opinion, i think PT is right where he needs to be. 3 diff characters, 3 different ways to play, many MANY options for each match up
it's less about the fact that i was right, and more about the fact that so many people thought i was wrong, when i was, in fact, right.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
You seem too conceited to be a likable person.

What you said was a wild guess and you got lucky. Good ****.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
He's just now getting somewhere because all the loyal people who played him from the start, have stuck around and got him to this point steak today. The Sonic community is just strong as a whole, and we're dedicated, and determined. The only low tier to truley step it up.
Sonic is not the only low tier to "step it up" in recent times.

I'd say that Yoshi, Bowser, and Pokemon Trainer have all improved a fair deal in recent times. I expect them to really show their worth as soon as more players decide to try their hand at using them.

Sonic's always had potential. It was easy to see. It's just that no one could use it well. Now that Sonic has a few excellent players, it's been showcased, and people understand that he's a decent character at the very least. There is a clear gap between the few good Sonics and the large multitude of bad ones (because there are a lot of bad ones), and the bad ones don't do a lot of showcasing his potential, although more players inevitably raises the chance of having more excellent ones.

It's just like Pokemon Trainer. Pokemon Trainer appears to have a fair amount of depth; I'm always finding new uses for various moves, and it's exciting to see how many options are actually available. If you mess around with PT for a little while, it's easy to see. The problem is, there are very few PT players with a great amount of skill, so the only reason he is even in D Tier is because of the few good players that exist. If a character hasn't proven themselves, they won't get far in the tier list.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
I'm a Sonic fanboy.

I hated his style of play when I first got the game, realized then that he didn't feel right.

Moved on to Ike, I'll tell you I didn't know one thing about him except he was apparently going to be in Brawl.

Yeah, fanboys affect the silly tier list.
Yeah they mess it up because they don't care about competition, just about having fun ONLY.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
That's just to bad, cause he is.
1.) Captain Falcon's mobility is actually more important when we talk about Ganondorf and Captain Falcon only.
2.) Ganondorf doesn't have as much priority, and can be combo'd easier.
3.) Ganondorf's heaviness combined with a horrible recovery is crucial to a character's gameplay.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Can we just agree that an amount of people playing a character won't do jack-@#$% if those people have no idea what they're doing?

It is so easy to say that Sonic has lotsa fanboys and/or players representing him, but how many out of them are good enough to place with Sonic, or any character since fanboyism doesn't necessarily apply to just him?

@#$%ing Las Vegas has 4-5 Sonic players here... I have been in this community since December and I am the only one to have placed... THE ONLY ONE GDI!

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yeah they will, only when we're talking about them being the only type of player for that character. If's there's more of them and less competitive players.... you know.
....then they'll only show us how bad the character is. You're not gonna convince the SBR by flooding the population with a single character if that single character is played badly and gets wrecked by **** near everyone. Fact of the matter is, more people playing a character makes more people aware of that character, but it's not always for the better.

If tons of people out there played Ganondorf it would've just helped us determine faster exactly how bad of a character he is.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
....then they'll only show us how bad the character is. You're not gonna convince the SBR by flooding the population with a single character if that single character is played badly and gets wrecked by **** near everyone. Fact of the matter is, more people playing a character makes more people aware of that character, but it's not always for the better.

If tons of people out there played Ganondorf it would've just helped us determine faster exactly how bad of a character he is.
Oh...I kept in my mind that the character's metagame will stay lower too, but even that affects the tier list. lol I'm stupid for forgetting it goes both ways for a character to affect the tier list when there's more sucky people with the character...

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Sonic is not the only low tier to "step it up" in recent times.

I'd say that Yoshi, Bowser, and Pokemon Trainer have all improved a fair deal in recent times. I expect them to really show their worth as soon as more players decide to try their hand at using them.
What I meant by Sonic being the only one to really step it up is because we're the only community to repeatedly place well as a whole for a year straight. Bowser and Yoshi could only dream of having results like that. Sure someone could be finding great things for these characters, but if no one is using them and placing high with them, how would we know? Sure there are a couple of Bowser and Yoshi players, but compared to how many Sonics there are and how well he places...yeah. People claim it's because of "fanboys" but I know plenty of people who are obsessed with Sonic but don't use him simply because he's bad. The people who are ranking with him now are the ones who have been here since the beginning and took the time to learn him. Like you said here...

Sonic's always had potential. It was easy to see. It's just that no one could use it well. Now that Sonic has a few excellent players, it's been showcased, and people understand that he's a decent character at the very least. There is a clear gap between the few good Sonics and the large multitude of bad ones (because there are a lot of bad ones), and the bad ones don't do a lot of showcasing his potential, although more players inevitably raises the chance of having more excellent ones.
That pretty much sums it up. The hardcore fanboys are the ones who became the excellent ones, and I don't think we'll be getting any more any time soon just because of his new placing for the reasons I said in my last post. Now let's get to PT.

It's just like Pokemon Trainer. Pokemon Trainer appears to have a fair amount of depth; I'm always finding new uses for various moves, and it's exciting to see how many options are actually available. If you mess around with PT for a little while, it's easy to see. The problem is, there are very few PT players with a great amount of skill, so the only reason he is even in D Tier is because of the few good players that exist. If a character hasn't proven themselves, they won't get far in the tier list.
That's my point exactly. PT could be a GREAT character (with an extremely high learning curve that's probably higher than that of Sonic's >___>) but if we only have ONE person representing this character (you lol) how do we know if PT himself is really that good, or if you're just amazing with him? When people hear "PT" they all think "Reflex". When "Sonic" is said, "Espy, Malcolm, Wes, Blue" all those names come up, maybe even a few others depending on what region you go to.

With PT, he's universal to Reflex.

:093:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546

I seriously wished that you guys knew how bad Ganondorf was compared to Captain Falcon (Link's better than both, imo), since the first tier list..

Really, when I picked up Ganon, by the moment I realized that I couldn't get away without getting punished for everything I did, even with Ganon's jab, then his recovery + size, and grab range, I knew that Ganon was the worse in the game, right away. It's that simple.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Sonic doesn't deserve to go up THAT many spots, maybe like 1-3, but not 8. His only advantage is that people don't know how to play against him. People will learn, and Sonic will die.

Shark Week

Smash Apprentice
That doesn't make you Stephen Hawking.
if it were just this one time, no. but that's basically how it's been my entire life: i argue with someone, they tell me with much volume and emotion that i am wrong, and then it turns out i'm right. again. and they always get indignant when i point out how they yelled and puffed out their chests and ganged up on me, and i was still right. again.

You seem too conceited to be a likable person.

What you said was a wild guess and you got lucky. Good ****.
it wasn't a wild guess... i used to play pt heavily back before i quit this garbage game. i knew exactly what kind of capability he had compared to the rest of the cast. and when i tried explaining it to the rest of you, all i got back was "lol ivysaur has tether and no combos so he's bottom" and "pt has fatigue so he's low at best."

at any rate, all glory to reflex, he's better than i ever was :lick:

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
I seriously wished that you guys knew how bad Ganondorf was compared to Captain Falcon (Link's better than both, imo), since the first tier list..
Why? Really, Ray, why? Can't people just think that Ganon has things going for him without you bashing them and making them aware that Ganon is absolutely worthless? Does it really bother you that much when people say Ganondorf is better than Captain Falcon (which is my honest opinion)?

The sheer awesomeness of playing as Ganon far outweighs the myriad of weaknesses he has. When we advance our metagame to get around some of these problems, he just gets that much better while retaining the awesomeness.

He's always used Ivysaur a lot, but he's been using the other ones more. We got 2nd in low tier doubles with Ike/PT, but we lost to the good PT/Jiggs team since I kept getting gimped and it's too hard for me to avoid hitting my partner. It's way easier to use Ike in singles, which is strange for me, since I'm probably like one of the best (top 10 probably) doubles players in the nation, but not so hot in singles...
So I've heard Ganon's pretty good in doubles... maybe he can help you in doubles better than Ike can.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Why? Really, Ray, why? Can't people just think that Ganon has things going for him without you bashing them and making them aware that Ganon is absolutely worthless? Does it really bother you that much when people say Ganondorf is better than Captain Falcon (which is my honest opinion)?

The sheer awesomeness of playing as Ganon far outweighs the myriad of weaknesses he has. When we advance our metagame to get around some of these problems, he just gets that much better while retaining the awesomeness.

So I've heard Ganon's pretty good in doubles... maybe he can help you in doubles better than Ike can.
Get around which problems? Oh wait, could we make his crappy grab range as large as Dedede's? and what about his Utilt, could we make that better? Oh even better, let's figure out how to make his moves faster and less laggier, than all our problems will be solved.

Um, yeah, I do get annoyed by people like you, who come out of nowhere only to talk complete nonsense.

It is awesome playing as Ganon, but he'll always be the worst. Others will surpass him no matter what we come up with.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
That's my point exactly. PT could be a GREAT character (with an extremely high learning curve that's probably higher than that of Sonic's >___>) but if we only have ONE person representing this character (you lol) how do we know if PT himself is really that good, or if you're just amazing with him? When people hear "PT" they all think "Reflex". When "Sonic" is said, "Espy, Malcolm, Wes, Blue" all those names come up, maybe even a few others depending on what region you go to.

With PT, he's universal to Reflex.

:093:
At the same time, if, say, Typh was dominating his area with Pokemon Trainer (where other big names such as DSF and such exist), it shouldn't matter too much whether or not anyone else plays PT.

The tier list isn't a question of how well the general population is doing with each character; it's about what people think of the character at the highest level of play. If I was the only good Pokemon Trainer player in existence (FOR THE SAKE OF EXAMPLE, JEEZ), then that should be what people look to in order to judge PT's potential.

If I were to go to a national-level tournament and beat Ally with Pokemon Trainer, that speaks volumes about PT's viability, right?

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Sonic doesn't deserve to go up THAT many spots, maybe like 1-3, but not 8. His only advantage is that people don't know how to play against him. People will learn, and Sonic will die.
This may have been true before, but it definitely isn't now. There are a good number of good Sonics*, spread out across America, that have all been placing consistently well for a large number of months now. Plenty of regions have been exposed to him. Many top players have fought him. Yet he is still ranking in consistently at at least 20th in Ankoku's Character Rankings List.

Why hasn't he dropped? Attempts by Sonic mains have been made to educate people on the weaknesses of Sonic, strategies on how to beat him and ways to screw him over. There have even been discoveries made that significantly weakened Sonics game.** Yet he is still able to place in tourneys.

If Sonic's only advantage was an unknown matchup, all this would not be true. Players such as Espy, MalcomM (now quitting Sonic, unfortunately), Mr. 3000, __X__, djbrowny, Shugo, ITT, Goggles and Blue are all from different regions and still place well with Sonic (except Goggles, he's scrub tier. :p). djbrowny, in particular, has placed first consistently in his region (Australia) with Sonic and some secondaries. If an unknown matchup was all Sonic had, why are players who KNOW they're going to have to face a Sonic and have played against him for months still losing? Is it because an entire region is full of scrubs who refuse to learn a matchup and think they can plow through a character simply because they're low tier***? Or is it because dj is a good player and a good Sonic player, and is able to do well with Sonic despite the inherent flaws in his character and the knowledge his opponents have of his character? I think the latter is true.

I do agree with your opinion that Sonic is placed higher than he should be, but your reasoning for this and the placing you suggest for him are definite fallacies and I can agree with neither.

If ANYTHING, the quoted statement can really only apply PT. PT's increase in tourney representation has come quite recently and originated from one sole main: Reflex (oh look he's posting above me...and below me). PT has been, as of yet, a very underrepresented character and has not had the chance to be exposed to the top players and regions as Sonic has, since it only has one medium through which to do so. Time will tell whether or not PT will be able to maintain his position despite people learning the matchup(s), but until then, he's in the exact same place Sonic was with the release of tier list v2, represented by a single question: "He's placing well, but for how long?"

*-Note the term "good Sonics", because bad or scrubby Sonics are not accurate representations of what tourney-level Sonics are like, and fighting against them will not give you an accurate representation of the matchup and how to fight a "good Sonic". If you (not you personally) fight a Sonic that constantly spindashes as an approach (or spindashes as an approach at all) and repeatedly uses the spring>dair, you've got yourself a bad Sonic.

**-Some of the things in the OP aren't true or accurate. I just used it as a thread that showed the negative change to Sonics game.

***-Not anymore.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
This may have been true before, but it definitely isn't now. There are a good number of good Sonics*, spread out across America, that have all been placing consistently well for a large number of months now. Plenty of regions have been exposed to him. Many top players have fought him. Yet he is still ranking in consistently at at least 20th in Ankoku's Character Rankings List.

Time will tell whether or not PT will be able to maintain his position despite people learning the matchup(s), but until then, he's in the exact same place Sonic was with the release of tier list v2, represented by a single question: "He's placing well, but for how long?"
Note that Pokemon Trainer has only been increasing on that list. He's six places higher than Sonic right now.

And that's more-or-less coming from only a couple of players, as compared to the multitude of good Sonics. I live in an area that isn't very populated, as well. It doesn't speak well of those Sonic players (although I suppose one could make the case of "Reflex has few good players to compete with, so he's running a monopoly").

"Come on, step it up!"

EDIT:

@reflex: The color of your name is amazing. How did you come by it? And can I have it too? ^W^
You sign up to be a Pokemon Researcher, which requires you to contribute movesets and the like to the Strategy Pokedex in the Pokecenter subforum.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm considering picking up PT, seeing as to how he's really starting to show as a viable character.
That's something. He's quite varied, so if you like learning a load of new things, it's a good idea on paper.

He doesn't have a particularly-sharp learning curve (it's all pretty simple stuff); it's just that the curve is really, really long. I've never felt like I have been at a skill plateau with Pokemon Trainer in the time I have been playing.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
Get around which problems? Oh wait, could we make his crappy grab range as large as Dedede's? and what about his Utilt, could we make that better? Oh even better, let's figure out how to make his moves faster and less laggier, than all our problems will be solved.
I think there's something out there that does that, I think it's called Brawl+. Maybe you should start playing that so you wouldn't have to whine all the time about how bad Ganon is. I've accepted that Ganon has bad traits. I've accepted that his grab range sucks and thus I won't be able to incorporate much of a grab game with him. I've accepted that Utilt and Warlock punch are practically unusable, but that doesn't stop me from using them, if I get punished, that's my fault and I accept that. Most people complain that Ganon's slow and immobile, so I play him as fast and fluid as I possibly can. As unviable as he is, I've put too much work into him to ever stop using him seriously, so I'll take whatever I can.

Um, yeah, I do get annoyed by people like you, who come out of nowhere only to talk complete nonsense.
I just responded to the fact that every post you put in here is some type of bash on Ganon because I don't think you'll be satisfied until every person on the planet thinks the way you do. I'm supporting Ganon's metagame, suggesting that we still have ways to go to play him smarter and you're thinking that I believe that Ganon's oging to suddenly transform and have an amazing moveset. Who's the one talking nonsense again?

It is awesome playing as Ganon, but he'll always be the worst. Others will surpass him no matter what we come up with.
That's your personal opinion, and while I disagree, I can't do anything about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom