• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The official "RATE MY KIRBY" and "HELP WITH A MATCHUP" thread!

Is this thread useful?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Yeah, I've done that before. What's even more interesting is the modified thing I discovered a while ago (but was impractical). Since I discovered this with Kirby (though it can be done by the entire cast), I'll explain while using him.

1. Go to training mode, selecting Kirby on Final D.

2. Set the speed to 1/4th

3. Get bunny ears

4. Start running

5. While in the initial dash, shove the control stick in the opposite direction (pivot)

6. As soon as you see Kirby take a "step", let go of the control stick

7. Depending on your timing, you should slide either a short distance, a medium distance, or about half the length of FD.

Once you get used to it, you can do it basically anywhere at any speed, though it doesn't do much, espescially because, if you have bunny ears, you shouldn't be wasting your time with this.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
And that bunny ears are items, which aren't allowed in most tournies... Unless you've been able to do it without them, that's somewhat pointless other than in an allbrawl match.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Every time I see the word "bunny" I think people are talking about me. <<;

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Cant it be both?
Nope. Not allowed. That's the way it works, sorry. It's in THE book *pulls out THE Book*

Hey A1, I was messing with what you said about the bunny ears *sharpens knives and mutters something about harvesting Bunny's ears*, and yeah, that's kind of useless even with the ears since you can't actually do anything while you slide. It's basically just one long dash animation.
(*Sigh* Here I'd secretly hoped you'd found a way to super step with Kirby...)

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I just picked up Kirby a couple weeks ago. I need help beating heavyweights (any of them, really), and any projectile spammer whose spam I can't just duck under. People really do not get bored of the b button, even if I powershield or otherwise avoid everything, they still never approach me. :( And the heavyweights just need to hit me 3-5 times and I die..

Anyway I have videos (click my sig, there's a ton on my Youtube page which are fairly recent).

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
well if you people dont like watching me pwn a yoshi, i got other vids...search up my name, although some of my vids are old...but w/e
You son of a *****, the Yoshi species is basically extinct. Thats like saying you enjoy beating up Pandas.

B@$tard....... I'll watch some of your videos later, but dont count on it. I'm pretty lazy.

:)

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I just picked up Kirby a couple weeks ago. I need help beating heavyweights (any of them, really), and any projectile spammer whose spam I can't just duck under. People really do not get bored of the b button, even if I powershield or otherwise avoid everything, they still never approach me. :( And the heavyweights just need to hit me 3-5 times and I die..

Anyway I have videos (click my sig, there's a ton on my Youtube page which are fairly recent).
Emmy! I don't know you but that name/avatar look familiar from awlizbrawl.

Anywho I looked, what caught my eye first is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf8vXX3ka10
Because Phoenix Dark's Sonic pwns me EVERY TIME I FIGHT HIM
but he's using Pokemon Trainer so yeah.

Anyway here I go!
- Don't approach directly from below on stages like Halberd and get spiked under the stage. Approaching at an angle and using Uair is better, and then using Final Cutter at a distance...try to leave them guessing as to which direction you'll go to get back onstage. I'm guessing after getting spiked once, you learned from that, so you really don't need me to tell you to watch out for it again XD
- I dunno, it seems strange to me. I've never had even slight problems with a Pokemon Trainer, but I don't have a ton of experience against them...the only advice I can give you is put a ton of pressure on Charizard, don't give him time to attack. His Rock Smash has (I think) superamor, so yeah, don't give him time to use it, because it's really freaking good >_>
-at 0:49 you took way too much damage from Flamethrower, you should have used Final Cutter to get out
-Against heavyweights in general, Grab is your friend. You did it a number of times on Charizard, and you seem to know the basic throw combos. Just grab them, pummel a bit, throw them, and then juggle them around as much as possible. Then repeat.
-you used Fsmash a little too much against Squirtle, which is bad because 1. it's pretty easy to punish when blocked, and 2. it becomes stale, and can't ko as well at higher %
-spaced Bairs...you did a good job when he was a bit offstage and trying to get back on. Use Bair quite often, and out of shield too. Great move

Judging from that match, you have a pretty good Kirby. I have played Phoenix Dark many times, so I know he's a tough opponent. I feel like in your place, I could have beaten his Pokemon Trainer, but maybe that's just that ... what's it called, hindsight bias :D
I don't think I've ever beaten his Sonic in a ladder match though :/

ok I'ma watch another match...oh, duh that was match 2. I'll watch match 1 now.

-you got spiked again :( it's ok, it happens...Inhaling offstage is always risky, so be careful.
-Charizard's power is godlike with Kirby, so definitely try to get it...but only if he uses a laggy move that you can punish with Inhale, or if you think you can definitely mindgame him into ..getting Inhaled. >_> You probably already know this, but Inhale is extremely punishable sometimes if you miss, and some people (I know I have) get into the mindset of "must copy power!" and therefore take a ton of damage getting punished for it.
-He was spamming Rock Smash predictably, be a little more patient and punish it, instead of running into it
-Basically refer to my previous advice for this match too...part of it just has to do with experience, it will come with time..I've been playing Kirby in all three Smash games and I'm .. well I'll find out tomorrow how good I am :D

last of all I watched you vs Cheese 7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj0SO0xaGA0
-You got owned first two stocks. Try using your "get-up attack" every so often after the Snake dthrows you, you took WAY more damage than you should have from dthrow chains.
-What you did to his second stock was perfect.
-Watch out, a better Snake would pull a grenade and blow you both up during your fthrow->uair combos. Just a warning.

This is getting way too long.... summary:
-pummel when you grab, grabs into juggling are great against heavyweights. You have to be sometimes aggressive when comboing heavyweights, but then you have to be wary when they have a bit of breathing room and can pull out their strong attacks.
-don't fsmash too much
-try utilt some more
-I'll add more later if you want @_@
-oh yeah, I realize that wifi sucks. I would know, I haven't played anyone offline since Sept. 13th...and I'm going to an offline tourney tomorrow lol

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I don't have time to watch these today and comment, since this is a public library computer, but let me explain my frustration really fast:

You know how I told you guys I'd post matches to have critiqued... well... I recorded them, and even though I think I lost every single one that got recorded, they were pretty cool. Since my roommate has an SD card reader built into his computer, I return his camera and ask him to copy the videos to my flash drive.

What he did:
Saw the SD card had little memory left, and cleared every video, THEN copied the contents of the camera to my flash drive, which was basically nothing...

So yeah, I HAD videos of me getting tossed around by Scribble's Zelda/ROB and Digm's Samus. The match with Digm's Samus was the coolest IMO, as it included the amazing stone kill I just won't shut up about (Dair spike in the water to stone as they come up), an amazing combo in the beginning of the match (Dthrow>Utilt>Utilt>do nothing as he dodges>Ftilt>Grounded hammer, or something of the sort. I pretty much started the match at 0 against a 70% Samus (And still lost!)) and a stone edge guard against Digm (On Pirate Ship), as well as getting Fsmashed for a missed inhale. Also, Samus isn't quite as gay to fight as ROB...

I also managed an aerial hammer kill against Scribble's ROB (As well as generally running into every single one of his neutral airs, generally neglecting my tilts since he's used to my usage of them, then randomly remembering them in the middle of the match and getting about 70% on him without getting hit, then running into the **** again), and, well, Zelda... The only cool thing I can remember in this match was when he tried to hit me with his Bup as he recovered and finding out Bair outprioritizes it.

All 3 we were down to our last stocks.

Other matches not recorded, though it doesn't matter since the recorded ones were deleted anyway...: A bunch of Mario matches, most of which I won because Cape > ROB (seriously, every time I do a Mario vs ROB, at least 2 of my kills come from reflected gyros), a bunch of team matches (Including a match that ended in 2v1 where my wolf managed to beat them both off, thanks to some lucky spikes), and Ganon ****.

I've never had even slight problems with a Pokemon Trainer, but I don't have a ton of experience against them...the only advice I can give you is put a ton of pressure on Charizard, don't give him time to attack. His Rock Smash has (I think) superamor, so yeah, don't give him time to use it, because it's really freaking good >_>
I dunno, Squirtle is ironically the one I've always had the most trouble with. Charizard's RS also only gets Super Armor, if it has any at all, after the rock is shattered. Hit him before that and he drops the rock. His Bup is better IMO.

Yeah... I'm really mad those videos got erased...

Corruption.

Smash Rookie
I dunno, Squirtle is ironically the one I've always had the most trouble with. Charizard's RS also only gets Super Armor, if it has any at all, after the rock is shattered. Hit him before that and he drops the rock. His Bup is better IMO.
wow i finally hear of another person who has trouble against that **** turtle (sometimes call him ninja turtle). everywhere i go i read about how ivy is the character that everyone has troube with and how rock shatter is broken, but say how squirtle is the easiest one to beat and it pisses me off.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Oh hey emmy.
Hi.

wow i finally hear of another person who has trouble against that **** turtle (sometimes call him ninja turtle). everywhere i go i read about how ivy is the character that everyone has troube with and how rock shatter is broken, but say how squirtle is the easiest one to beat and it pisses me off.
It pisses me off that everyone has such a huge problem with MK that they think he's banworthy, but I'd rather fight MK than anyone else in the top tier.

Equus

Smash Cadet
Okay, I'm seriously having trouble against Olimars, specifically spammy and grab-happy ones. I can't find any good way to approach, yet they can force me to approach easily. The grabs are hard to avoid because of their range, and it's hard to tell them apart from some of his other attacks. Since the matchup thread hasn't covered Olimar yet, what's the best way to fight him?

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
I have two Olimars to deal with.

To approach, just SHFFLE around to avoid pikmin, spam Up-B a few times and then start walking, if they run at you, good, jump the moment you see them start the run and Dair(anything works actually, but Dair is probably what to do as you'll likely above them after they fail to grab you)

I personally think it's a good idea.

Edit: Course, if realize this they'll up-smash for ****.
They start this then you probably want to get ledge and experiment with Kirbycide/ Ledge Camp and anything else, that's also an alternative. Oh! And if you want, just face away from him, if he tries to smash or use a pikmin you respone with Bair or Utilt since they are the best at over prioritizing anything he could throw (I think).

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Hi.

It pisses me off that everyone has such a huge problem with MK that they think he's banworthy, but I'd rather fight MK than anyone else in the top tier.
Trust me, he is.

I have more trouble against Snake though, lolz

No critique response? D:

Okay, I'm seriously having trouble against Olimars, specifically spammy and grab-happy ones. I can't find any good way to approach, yet they can force me to approach easily. The grabs are hard to avoid because of their range, and it's hard to tell them apart from some of his other attacks. Since the matchup thread hasn't covered Olimar yet, what's the best way to fight him?
that's all of them :laugh:

I have two Olimars to deal with.

To approach, just SHFFLE around to avoid pikmin, spam Up-B a few times and then start walking, if they run at you, good, jump the moment you see them start the run and Dair(anything works actually, but Dair is probably what to do as you'll likely above them after they fail to grab you)

I personally think it's a good idea.

Edit: Course, if realize this they'll up-smash for ****.
They start this then you probably want to get ledge and experiment with Kirbycide/ Ledge Camp and anything else, that's also an alternative. Oh! And if you want, just face away from him, if he tries to smash or use a pikmin you respone with Bair or Utilt since they are the best at over prioritizing anything he could throw (I think).
I don't have a lot of experience against good Olimars (god, I don't have a lot of experience against a good [insert most of the characters of the cast here] especially offline...)

BUT this sounds like pretty solid advice. I have heard that Final Cutter owns Pikmin. It's just that the landing lag for this move is

SO

BAD

that a good player of any character will just 1. start approaching during Final Cutter's starting lag
2. powershield the wave
3. punish the landing lag.

But anyway, try to space Final Cutters as far from Olimar as possible, because it should cut right through any Pikmin that he throws.

The most important thing to do in this matchup is get him offstage as quickly as possible. It terrifies me how fast Olimar can rack up damage and how easily he can kill sometimes, I just don't understand this character. Too many Pikmin around him make it so confusing, especially since we non-Olimar mains are expected to memorize what each Pikmin color does/is used for :'[

But yeah, get him offstage so that he needs to grab the edge with his tether to recover, and then just hang on the edge. His up B will damage you if you just hang there, but he won't grab on, and he'll just fall helplessly. It makes me feel guilty when I do it, but then I remember how his insane his ground game is so I don't feel too bad.

Back Air wall of pains are an extremely effective way to knock him far enough offstage.

If he stands in one spot, and you're trying to approach, he can hit you in front with fsmash/throwing pikmin, he can hit you from above with upsmash, and he can hit you from a 45 degree angle with up B. If you find that he shields your aerial approaches every time, try to find an opening and then approach with Inhale, and preferably Starshot him closer to the edge. Get him in the air. Use your multiple jumps to bait attacks, but make sure you avoid them and have time to punish.

Fabian the Fastman

Smash Cadet
So, I went up against my first human opponents today. The one who beat me was a Wolf who kept spamming Blaster, forcing me to approach, and fsmashing/upsmashing me.

How do I deal with him?

fsdfsdgsgdf

Smash Champion
So, I went up against my first human opponents today. The one who beat me was a Wolf who kept spamming Blaster, forcing me to approach, and fsmashing/upsmashing me.

How do I deal with him?
ROFL i guess all wolfs do play the same. Anyone else also notice that people who main wolf also use pit or vice versa? lol

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman

How do I deal with him?
I got one like this, I normally use Marth on him but here's some Kirby Advice

If anyone is ever spammy, I recommend spacing with Final Cutter, on Wolf, not as often because his laser unlike Pikmin will hurt you if you land right into it during cutter.

I would suggest a ledge camp to force his approach or to walk and shield, it's epic, especially for F-Smash happy Wolves, you grab, Gonzo combo and you won there as you're close enough to own him. If he pushes you back, start flying, Wolf does have good aerials but if you bair him you're good.

Doubt this is any good for advice since most of my matches up I just do it, not really think much, especially ones I normally win (like Camper Wolf)

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
I uploaded more videos to my youtube account, if any of you is interested in watching/giving critique, here's the link to my channel. http://br.youtube.com/user/ShaoSMASH
I watched the video that's right in front of you (vs luigi). First off, good job, I hate luigis, they piss me off to play. As I think you learned, rolling behind someone and then doing an attack isn't very effective, and usually results in you taking damage. The main reason you lost that one was because you were using juggle moves when luigi was at high % (i.e. tilts and uair), instead of KO moves, like smashes, bair, and the like. About that Kirbycide at the end... if you were playing on Final Destination, that might've worked, but Battlefield is too small. Since I have to leave pretty soon, that's all I'll write for now. Don't worry; Fromundaman will have more...

~Shao~

Smash Ace
Since I were recording the matches directly in the DVD recorder, I don't know why, there was some button delay, so some things shouldn't have happened, lots of missed ground techs, airdodging and shielding. From both of us. That kirbycide, he was supposed to be spit earlier into a b-air stage-spike. But because of the delay, I was to low to do that.

And about the tilts, I missed some opportunities, however, some of them if I had used a smash attack I would have been punished. Thanks again for the advice.

Fabian the Fastman

Smash Cadet
I got one like this, I normally use Marth on him but here's some Kirby Advice

If anyone is ever spammy, I recommend spacing with Final Cutter, on Wolf, not as often because his laser unlike Pikmin will hurt you if you land right into it during cutter.

I would suggest a ledge camp to force his approach or to walk and shield, it's epic, especially for F-Smash happy Wolves, you grab, Gonzo combo and you won there as you're close enough to own him. If he pushes you back, start flying, Wolf does have good aerials but if you bair him you're good.

Doubt this is any good for advice since most of my matches up I just do it, not really think much, especially ones I normally win (like Camper Wolf)
I would space with FC, but he just reflects the shockwaves back at me.

I'll try and work on the Gonzo Combo, then... ****, is it tricky >_> I really have issues landing the uair on them after I fthrow...

Asdioh

Not Asidoh

How do I deal with him?
I would space with FC, but he just reflects the shockwaves back at me.

I'll try and work on the Gonzo Combo, then... ****, is it tricky >_> I really have issues landing the uair on them after I fthrow...
The Gonzo Combo is really easy to do. If you're using a gamecube controller, just hit up on the C-stick after fthrowing.

The thing is, Wolf and Fox can use Reflector to break the chain after they land from the first fthrow->uair. You can get around this by shielding it for a second and then grabbing again. However, it all comes down to mindgames after that, because if Wolf expects you to expect reflector, he will just grab you when you shield. So it gets tricky.

If your opponent sucks, he won't know to use reflector, so you can combo him as much as you'd like.

Anyway, I played a Wolf Saturday, and I was better than him, but I played pretty suckily and came WAY TOO CLOSE to losing.

Blaster spam is annoying, take his power if you can.
You generally don't want to use Final Cutter...if you space it well, it won't hit you when he reflects it, but you'll generally just trade hits (blaster for cutter beam) so it's not really worth it.

What you generally want to do is approach from the air. Bait him into thinking you're attacking by fastfalling, and then use one of your jumps right before you're on top of him. If he tries an attack, fastfall a DAir or well-spaced back air. He doesn't really have an answer to your DAir. After that, just follow him. Get him in the air; he has good aerials, but yours are better. Except for maybe bair, his back air is awesome, so watch out for it. Get him offstage and gimp him (beware of his side B recovery, it's nearly impossible to gimp, and can own you sometimes). Kill him with FSmash if you can't get him offstage, the best way to do this is juggling him around in the air, and then acting like you're going to continue juggling him in the air, but land on the ground and fsmash him right before he lands. Or if you see a better opportunity to fsmash him, go for it. If he uses his own fsmash predictably, stay just barely out of range (act like you're going to walk into it, and then pull back at the last second) and punish him with your fsmash.

Wolf's a pretty easy matchup, but spammy Wolf players are ******** online.

Oh yeah...you can juggle wolf at low percents with uptilt for a long time. Just beware of him using reflector to hit you in the middle of it....once he gets around 30% or so from uptilts, be prepared for a reflector.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I don't see why anyone would use a non-Gamecube controller if they have access to a GCC. Seriously @_@

Unless they're noobs to Smash, and never played Smash 64 or Melee, then I suppose it's understandable. But Gamecube is seriously the way to go :/ it just gives you more options. Like you can do an back air while moving forward, or a forward air while moving backward, etc.

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
Problems:

- I feel pretty chanceless against Long-Range Fighters like Marth, Ike or DK on Battlefield. Once they control the middle, its really hard for me to approach them.

- I often play against a Falco who uses a lot of rolls into jabs. The priority of it is crazy, and the DSmash leaves me too open for punishment.

Any hints here? :)

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Problems:

- I feel pretty chanceless against Long-Range Fighters like Marth, Ike or DK on Battlefield. Once they control the middle, its really hard for me to approach them.

- I often play against a Falco who uses a lot of rolls into jabs. The priority of it is crazy, and the DSmash leaves me too open for punishment.

Marth/DK/Etc-

Best off accepting they'll **** you forever lolz
Srly, best chance is use a lot of dodging in side-stepping, of course, on Ike if he jabs it won't work and same with DK, but most sword/long range guys don't have multiple hit attacks or hit boxs that sidestep normally would have trouble with. I'm assuming Final Cutter is a good move here as these guys lack projectiles, but remember lag hurts.

If you want them out of the middle of stage you probably want to hmm...move back and forward Fairing, they'll be very tempted to run at you lol. If you see them remotely looking like wanting to attack run and dash attack them instead of Fair, that'll show them.

Falco-

Never had trouble with his jabs..just DI out i say. Don't Dsmash, just FTilt him if he doesn't reflector you. Also can just Fair air him. Just remember in this match up to use fast moves and to let him do his attacks, if he starts jab in, wait for him to stop and shield(reflector). If he wants to Fsmash, do a barrel roll and grab by the butt lol. Most of the time you just have to wait and see which of the three responses he'll do after a jab, Reflector, Fsmash, or grab.

T-nuts

Smash Ace
Problems:

use utilt instead of downsmash.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
yes use utilt like t-nuts said

Also, you can up-air Falco when he's doing his full jab attack on you. I only tried doing it once, and I was a little slow to the punch (or kick lolz) but it really does seem to work. DI towards them/upwards, and do upair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom