• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official P:M Edmonton Thread!

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
Ron, what do you use to dual record audio from game and mic when recording? Or do you do them seperately? I think I've asked this before.

But my god, my Sony Vegas hasn't been working so I've been recording with VirtualDub and Audacity and it's like... not cool trying to sync that ****.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
The program dazzle came with (I'm switching to vdub next tournament) and a movie camera.

It's separate so I have to sync each video.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=14992500#post14992500

So guys.

Tournament thread.

I know it doesn't say Project M, but it's because of time constraints and interest, if you guys post there and say you want it, they can increase the time, and allow the game. Right now we're just limited monetarily and can't plan too big as money is always an issue (time can be extended if we can afford it I'm pretty certain, and I am willing to do this if people show interest)

Crusayer

Smash Lord
>Falco spawns @ kill %.

Will apply to entire cast in final build. /o\. That shell-shift thing is pretty cool.

Stevo

Smash Champion
I guess we should use this thread for Project M talk.

So who is actually good in this game?

Everyone has all these good moves, so it is hard to tell if they are actually good, or if they just seem that way cause all their moves are good.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Lots of characters are good, but the most over hyped are zelda and ike. Ike's startup on all his aerials are gonna **** him up really bad really soon.

Stevo

Smash Champion
yeah I have to agree with you on those 2. (I think Ike is pretty balanced though, not terrible)
I think Wario, G&W, Luigi, Ness, Link, DDD, and Charizard are also bad in 2.1
maybe toon link too, I don't play him though

and I mean bad in a relative sense. Bowser and Ganon are not bad, but I still don't think they are good lol

k something like

Bad
Luigi, Link, Zelda, G&W, Ness, Wario, DDD, Toon Link, Rob, Charizard

Fraudulent
Bowser, Ganon, Ike

Good
the rest

IMO

Stevo

Smash Champion
so...

regardless of what stage selection rules we use, I would like to propose no bans.

Why do we need bans anyway? You pick your character AFTER stage is selected. If the stage is legal, then why not play on it?

Bans in Project M are going to get so complicated in order to actually ahve an effect on things because of how many stages there are.... so why even bother?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I dunno stevo

for those who have actually played tournament sets, whether in tourney or in friendlies, I think the bans and everything have worked really well.

Most of us I feel are really comfortable with all the stages and it really isn't too complicated.

But once again, if you and your opponent could careless about bans, then you don't have to. The bans are there for people who know there match ups etc.

KlTHKlN

Smash Journeyman
I definitely like the idea of no bans, but as a melee player from Calgary. **** you falco and Final Destination.

tl;dr a ban is necessary for some players

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
It doesn't take away anything for players who don't want it because they can opt out of the rule.

But yeah for some players and some match ups, it's absolutely necessary.

Stevo

Smash Champion
well, let's say peach get's wrecked on metal cavern.

metal cavern is picked.

guess what, you can NOT PICK PEACH and NEVER have to play peach on metal cavern.

EVER

even without bans

Edit: for the record, I am not angry or anything lol, just using caps for emphasis

Crusayer

Smash Lord
I'm sorry I suck with every other char other than falco cuz I put all my time into him instead of a secondary.

:phone:

Stevo

Smash Champion
what if I spend 1000 hours practicing on metal cavern.

at least you can always pick falco.

let's add character bans while we are at it.

winner bans stages

loser picks stage

winner bans characters

winner picks character

loser picks character

ultra balance

There should at least be an argument FOR having bans besides just "so my favourite character always has a decent chance to win"

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
The characters are the main point of the game. We are attached to the characters we play, not the stages.

The stages impact and influence the characters we play and their respective match ups. In order to create the fairest competitive situation between the skills of two players, we have bans that allow for matchups that are flat out broke, while still giving a slight advantage to the losing player.

The legal stages are legal because they have no gamebreak hazards and/or exploitations. That is not to say that certain stages are severely imba for certain matchups. This is why 3 bans are more than enough to remove these matchup-based imba stages to create fairness.

Stevo

Smash Champion
examples of imba matchups?

is that massive map legal?

nevermind got it here

Legal Stages for Doubles and Singles
Battlefield
Dracula's Castle
Dream Land 64
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams
Green Hill Zone (singles only)
Halberd
Kongo Jungle 64
Lylat Cruise
Metal Cavern (singles only)
Pokemon Stadium 1
Pokemon Stadium 2
Rumble Falls
SSE: Jungle (doubles only)
SkyWorld
Smashville
Temple/SkyLoft (singles only)
Wario Ware Inc.
Yoshi's Island Brawl
Yoshi's Story Melee

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Falco vs Wario on FD

Anyone vs Spacies on Halberd

Ike vs Anyone on Castlevania

from the top of my head

and plus it's a new game and i'm sure we'll discover imba matchups on certain stages in the future. That is not to say that people may feel that certain matchups are broke on certain stages based on their own preferences.

Stevo

Smash Champion
falco vs wario anywhere :awesome:

alright well, I'm not so certain that those matchups are as hard as people think.

I would say no johns learn the stage with your character, but that's just me

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
lmao true, tbh

yeah but I dunno, it's not hurting anyone. I feel like stages really make or break match ups in PM. It's not like Melee where the top tiers can play each other where ever the **** they want since low tiers dont really matter.

But the diversity of PM comes with a price.

Stevo

Smash Champion
hmm...

well I understand I am in the minority here, so having bans is not actually hurting anyone just like you said.

take 2 characters, A and B

A:B matchup is 60:40 on stage 1

how different does the matchup have to be on stage 2 for it to be illegal?

how different does it have to be for banning to be relevant

to be required?

I guess that would require us to have extensive knowledge of the matchups on those stages. Which who cares, cause we can ban them.

I guess I'll shut up now since nobody really cares lol.

so maybe pit can arrow camp wario on big stages. Firstly, how do we know until it happens and people try to beat it. and second, how many bans does wario need to be able to avoid that? what if he needs one more ban then we allow? What if Wario has a great counter pick for this strategy (like, metal cavern) but now he can't go there on his counterpick because of the bans?

it goes both ways.

I remember when Falco was supposedly good on FD. That was before chaingrabs and powershielding.

Stevo

Smash Champion
"play to win! No Johns!"

"It's to hard for my character to beat this other character on this stage."

smash bros

I remember the mute city days. I still usually beat peaches on that stage, it was just more difficult. I am also legitimately curious as to what is good about Halberd for spacies. Someone care to enlighten me?

Top Bottom