• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Michigan Brawl Power Rankings: Season 11 Images Up!

FF WuvS

Smash Ace
NNID
Lostmagic103
THE NEW :088: PR

#1: :088:
#2: HotArms (Only we he :088: out of MMs)
#3: Ori (Glotes about winning sets for years to come)
#4: LOW1 (Takes Wifi seriously)
#5: Coco (Diabete Plants)
:088: HM: Sauc3 (Has to claw to make others feel like they're good in Melee)
:088: HM2: BDTopix (For having a babyd***)

Xatic

Smash Lord
THE NEW :088: PR

#1: :088:
#2: HotArms (Only we he :088: out of MMs)
#3: Ori (Glotes about winning sets for years to come)
#4: LOW1 (Takes Wifi seriously)
#5: Coco (Diabete Plants)
:088: HM: Sauc3 (Has to claw to make others feel like they're good in Melee)
:088: HM2: BDTopix (For having a babyd***)
Greatest PR EVER made. Argue with our logic *****es. :yeahboi:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I started to post a giant paragraph on why I said what said but forget it. If this comes up again during the actual discussion, then I'll have to say a few things. For now, going to keep things civil here. I will admit using the term "bad losses" is harsh. But don't worry, I have logic for everything I say (sober). We'll see what how the rest of the season holds.

I know now exactly Tutu does what he does. It's infuriating.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
The Grime PR already exists, fools. And I agree more Brawl people should be on it, I witnessed some true acts of grime this past weekend.

This. I'm almost positive that this is how we have been basing it for the past seasons. I mean with this season our average player pool should allow us to do Top 8 with 2 HMs
I don't think 10 is an accurate representation of our states current ability, we already have a drop off in skill after the top 5, but then there's another drop off in skill after the last 3. Which I'm fine with being honorable mentions, I guess, but 8 man PR still accurately displays that a scene is doing well and accurately portrays our skill.

Also drdn the only way I'd advocate a 2 man PR is If I was either the best player in Michigan or the 3rd best player in MI, and thus an honorable mention.

Sparta Kick

Smash Ace
I don't think 10 is an accurate representation of our states current ability, we already have a drop off in skill after the top 5, but then there's another drop off in skill after the last 3. Which I'm fine with being honorable mentions, I guess, but 8 man PR still accurately displays that a scene is doing well and accurately portrays our skill.

Also drdn the only way I'd advocate a 2 man PR is If I was either the best player in Michigan or the 3rd best player in MI, and thus an honorable mention.
What about being the second best player in Michigan? http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=317416

If I'm the second best player in MI on a 2man pr it;s liek saying, yo out of teh two people in MI that matter, I'm the bad one xD!

Not to give off the impression that people who aren't on the PR don't matter, I'm just too lazy to think of a better word.

Like if I'm second I need a bunch of people below to show how good I am.

zyth

Smash Lord
honestly this is pretty true. after tech and the inactives, the only other ppl who would normally be considered for the pr that we already have out, are L_cancel and Rage. and rage got quite a bit recognition this season so far, and L_cancel is L_cancel. the skill level of most ppl after the top 8 and HM are all around the same level and can beat each other dependin on what match up it is. if we do top 10 there wont be hardly anyone worth doin HM, and if we stay with 8 then the 9 and 10 from the 10 pr would probly be the only HM. but this is just my speculation and opinion so dont get mad-black-woman over it

I'm saying do 5 with 3 HM

or 6 with 2 HM

i don't think we have more than 8 people who have put shown themselves to be up on that level yet. I meant that i was fine with the 3 drop off's after the first top 5 being HM's not the people after that, sorry for poor grammar.

Roller

Smash Legend
This is not directed at DRDN, but a response to the widespread mentality present in this post.

You guys change it every time just make it 10 and stick with it. The motivation is to get on there, whether it's: be better then all the other randoms in MI or be as good as the players before the skill drop. The motivations there but the first choice seems more feasible to most of MI

Yeah, the first option is feasible. It's also easy as **** to accomplish and more or less meaningless. Congrats, you're better than the worst players in an average-at-best state!

I had never been close to making the PR prior to last season. I decided to put in the effort and improve. I went from not being worthy of an HM by my own admission, to #4 in MI in a single semester. A SEMESTER.

If you can't do anything worthy of note after having played for years, or even just a few months then you fall into at least one (but probably 3 or more) of these categories:

a) You aren't putting in enough effort compared to the rest of the state.
b) You aren't recognizing what facets of your game need to get worked on; and just keep practicing the same, suboptimal strategies, expecting better results and recognition for them.
c) You choose to play a bad character for the MI metagame (or in general)
d) You just don't have the heat of the moment, split second analytical skills required to do well at this game.
e) You don't care about the game.

If you meet ANY of the above criteria (compared to the rest of the state), you should NOT be on the PR. And should change your mentality/behavior accordingly if you hope to be in the future.

I have improved quite a bit in a pretty short time. Is it because I had some inherent quality about me which allowed me to? No. I put in the time. Believe me, I had to work at it just as hard as any of you would to get to the level of the PRd players. I know how daunting the challenge seems. I watched hours of videos. Practiced ATs until my hands were sore. Play vs other opponents as often as possible; whether they be power ranked, or randoms from my dorm (<- most of my pvp practice comes from these people). Traveled to smashfests and tourneys whenever possible; whether they be right here in Ann Arbor, half an hour away in Plymouth, an hour away in West Bloomfield, 5 hours away on the other side of the state, another state in the midwest, the east coast, the west coast, anywhere I could find people to play and help me improve. Just before September I flew out to California for Genesis. I flew back to MI from NJ after winter break on a Monday; 3 days later I caught a ride all the way back just to enter a tournament. During school I organize smashfests 4-5 days a week, with as few, or as many people as I can find. At home I'm not in with the scene as much, but invite kids I knew from high school, friends that live near home, the few smashers I know in the area, etc to big 30+ man smashfests every time I'm around. Are they PR'd? No, they're no better than any random friend you might ask to play. But when I play them I get to focus on what people's natural instincts cause them to do in any given situation. This is when my reading ability improves the most. When I'm playing with casual friends. It also allows me to practice my ATs during actual games, and work them more fluidly into my playstyle. It's practice vs opponents like this that got me to where I am with my desynching, my platform canceling, my bdacus'ing, etc.

I'm not anomalous in this effort. When Lain was actually trying his best, when Anther was active, there are few of you who know exactly how much time and effort they put in. And it wasn't just this pansy work of watching what other people do, and working to emulate those techniques as well as possible. They sat down in their basements, bedrooms, etc, and played around with their characters for hours until they stumbled upon useful ideas. They INVENTED their characters. People had to work their ***** off just to achieve feeble attempts to emulate THEM. They traveled across the midwest and country as a whole as well. Far more than I ever have. They had a passion for the game, and they did all they could to be the best they could be. And they are known as 2 of the best players in the history of smash.

There is nothing preventing anyone in Michigan from being the next Lain. Any one of you could surpass Judge. As one of a kind as Anther may be, he's still only human; and there is no reason you can't get your game as unpredictable, creative, and strangely brilliant as his.

Sparta Kick did not just start out as one of the top players in MI. The guy has put an absurd amount of time in. Did he start out in a city with lots of other top players around him? No. He put as much time into wifi as I'm sure he could bear. He inspired some friends around his home to start playing, and together they helped one another improve. Just last season SK and Oblivion were both on the PR. They put the time in together, and came out on top. They are willing to drive 4-5 hours just to come to "locals." and SK even doubled that to get to an OH tourney.

All these people got to where they did because they put their all into the game. Not just on 2 or 3 Saturdays a week. Every day they were able. If you're not willing to do that, to push yourself as hard as you can, and give the required amount of time, effort, and analysis. Then don't expect to be on the PR.

Pretty much anyone has the potential to make it. Few of them have the drive to do so.

I'm sure some of you have seen this video before. But it definitely helped inspire me to get better and work to achieve success.

Don't expect a participation trophy. If you want to be on the list of top players, kick some of them off of it.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
This is not directed at DRDN, but a response to the widespread mentality present in this post.

Yeah, the first option is feasible. It's also easy as **** to accomplish and more or less meaningless. Congrats, you're better than the worst players in an average-at-best state!

I had never been close to making the PR prior to last season. I decided to put in the effort and improve. I went from not being worthy of an HM by my own admission, to #4 in MI in a single semester. A SEMESTER.

If you can't do anything worthy of note after having played for years, or even just a few months then you fall into at least one (but probably 3 or more) of these categories:

b) You aren't recognizing what facets of your game need to get worked on; and just keep practicing the same, suboptimal strategies, expecting better results and recognition for them.
d) You just don't have the heat of the moment, split second analytical skills required to do well at this game.

If you meet ANY of the above criteria (compared to the rest of the state), you should NOT be on the PR. And should change your mentality/behavior accordingly if you hope to be in the future.

I have improved quite a bit in a pretty short time. Is it because I had some inherent quality about me which allowed me to? No. I put in the time. Believe me, I had to work at it just as hard as any of you would to get to the level of the PRd players. I know how daunting the challenge seems. I watched hours of videos. Practiced ATs until my hands were sore. Play vs other opponents as often as possible; whether they be power ranked, or randoms from my dorm (<- most of my pvp practice comes from these people). Traveled to smashfests and tourneys whenever possible; whether they be right here in Ann Arbor, half an hour away in Plymouth, an hour away in West Bloomfield, 5 hours away on the other side of the state, another state in the midwest, the east coast, the west coast, anywhere I could find people to play and help me improve. Just before September I flew out to California for Genesis. I flew back to MI from NJ after winter break on a Monday; 3 days later I caught a ride all the way back just to enter a tournament. During school I organize smashfests 4-5 days a week, with as few, or as many people as I can find. At home I'm not in with the scene as much, but invite kids I knew from high school, friends that live near home, the few smashers I know in the area, etc to big 30+ man smashfests every time I'm around. Are they PR'd? No, they're no better than any random friend you might ask to play. But when I play them I get to focus on what people's natural instincts cause them to do in any given situation. This is when my reading ability improves the most. When I'm playing with casual friends. It also allows me to practice my ATs during actual games, and work them more fluidly into my playstyle. It's practice vs opponents like this that got me to where I am with my desynching, my platform canceling, my bdacus'ing, etc.

I'm not anomalous in this effort. When Lain was actually trying his best, when Anther was active, there are few of you who know exactly how much time and effort they put in. And it wasn't just this pansy work of watching what other people do, and working to emulate those techniques as well as possible. They sat down in their basements, bedrooms, etc, and played around with their characters for hours until they stumbled upon useful ideas. They INVENTED their characters. People had to work their ***** off just to achieve feeble attempts to emulate THEM. They traveled across the midwest and country as a whole as well. Far more than I ever have. They had a passion for the game, and they did all they could to be the best they could be. And they are known as 2 of the best players in the history of smash.

There is nothing preventing anyone in Michigan from being the next Lain. Any one of you could surpass Judge. As one of a kind as Anther may be, he's still only human; and there is no reason you can't get your game as unpredictable, creative, and strangely brilliant as his.

Sparta Kick did not just start out as one of the top players in MI. The guy has put an absurd amount of time in. Did he start out in a city with lots of other top players around him? No. He put as much time into wifi as I'm sure he could bear. He inspired some friends around his home to start playing, and together they helped one another improve. Just last season SK and Oblivion were both on the PR. They put the time in together, and came out on top. They are willing to drive 4-5 hours just to come to "locals." and SK even doubled that to get to an OH tourney.

All these people got to where they did because they put their all into the game. Not just on 2 or 3 Saturdays a week. Every day they were able. If you're not willing to do that, to push yourself as hard as you can, and give the required amount of time, effort, and analysis. Then don't expect to be on the PR.

Pretty much anyone has the potential to make it. Few of them have the drive to do so.

I'm sure some of you have seen this video before. But it definitely helped inspire me to get better and work to achieve success.

Don't expect a participation trophy. If you want to be on the list of top players, kick some of them off of it.
Legendary, guys people need to read this.

a) You aren't putting in enough effort compared to the rest of the state. I put it very little effort
b) You aren't recognizing what facets of your game need to get worked on; and just keep practicing the same, suboptimal strategies, expecting better results and recognition for them. I don;t try to get better
c) You choose to play a bad character for the MI metagame (or in general) I main a bad character
d) You just don't have the heat of the moment, split second analytical skills required to do well at this game. I'm not good at this either
e) You don't care about the game. me as well

you forgot:
f. suck at smash but be on the panel and be somewhat liked/respected, thats how i get on the PR every season

TOPIX

Smash Apprentice

MeekSpeedy

Smash Ace

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11469406&postcount=60194

Reminded me of this.

I honestly think you're on your way to the top, Roller. Now, I'm by no means a top player yet either, but I've come a longggg way, and with a "bad character" to boot. But at the end of the day...once you get to a certain level of play, the character won't even matter, it all comes down to whoever is the smarter player. Whoever has put in more work, time, and effort. And it's not easy. I've seen too many people complain about how hard it is to get good, even though they haven't gone through the trials of tribulations as say a player like Vinnie, who's literally been at rock bottom, and now he's right near the top / @ the top.

zyth

Smash Lord
this was pretty informational and inspiring, im seeing a little of wat it takes to get up tothat milestone.

but not gonna lie, when i saw this part,
i was hopin it was gonna be this video

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
Yo that basically made me want to play so screw this im getting off Smashboards and going to practice **** Muskegon's da bes

Top Bottom