• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Genodisk

Smash Apprentice
Well it's not a matter of Geno then is it? It's his fans that they hate. Geno's too small to be really hated for himself, and any real Geno hate comes from spite of you guys. >_>
Thats really true its like the fact that I completly 100% hate krystal with every inch of my life and most of the hate is because people hype krystal to be like shes a super godess or something and i don't see anything interesting or special about her, she was in the newer, not nearly as good as the old starfox games. Thats probably why people hate geno.

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
Quoted so you can see.
yes but some of your points (mostly about legal issues) are assumptions. Hell my points about the legal issues are assumptions as well. You believe that it will be easy to get geno, i do not. That is that. As far as my other points i dont exactly remember your responses so ill voice my opinion again:

Why i dont think geno will be in brawl:

1. he was only in one game
-yes i know, so were ic and ness. But they were the title characters and the main protagonists no matter how you spin it. Geno on the other hand was not the TITLE character. Yes he was a big part of the plot but not the title character.

2. He's from an old game
-yes so were ic, ness, pit, and g&w. But yet again they were the title characters and the faces of their games.

3. He's mostly forgotten
-thats right forgotten. I probably still would have no idea who geno is if i hadnt joined this website, and i had a snes. The fact of the matter is that super mario rpg was greatly overshadowed by the release of n64. I wouldnt question his popularity if more people outside of the fourms knew who he was. Plus outside of his cameo he has had no other appearence since rpg.

4. He's a partner.
- Here's an example for ya: In many batman shows robin had a big role in the plot of a specific episode. But do people say that he was overall more important the batman? No, because robin was and is the sidekick, or partner whichever you prefer. Now back to geno yes he was a major part of the plot but only for one game, or episode as per my example. The fact of the matter is Mario was not Geno's partner. It was geno who was mario's partner.

5. He's third party
-yes you have thrown all your legal jargon at me many times. But as far as i can see he is owned by square-enix which is not nintendo, and not owned by nintendo. So he is thrid party. Sakuri may consider him 1st party, but he is still third party.

so there you have it. Once again there are my reasons why i dont think geno will be in brawl.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
There's more proof that Sakurai is interested in the character than there is proof against Geno's inclusion. Nothing you can say can discredit Geno's chances and as of right now, Geno has more PROOF that he's going to be in than otherwise.

The journal is not actual proof that Geno is in. ''Proof'' would be an update on the Dojo. Some signs point out to his inclusion, but they can be interpreted in different ways. Some of the journal mentions only refer to Geno because of to the ''Favorite character'' question. For example, someone requested music for a particular game (not SMRPG, and answered the question ''favorite character'' with Geno. It is possible that Sakurai was interested in that entry because of the music, not Geno.

Unless you can find me some physical proof that he won't be included. I'd like to see it. And I realize that the poll doesn't mean everyone on there is confirmed but it certainly raises Geno's chances significantly. So significantly in fact (because of his very, very high score) that you would need hefty evidence to go against his inclusion probability.

Once again, there is no physical proof he's in either. See above for explaination of the survey.

I've yet to see that in you. Third party doesn't matter and Geno isn't even third party COMPLETELY any way. Stop throwing that argument at us because it isn't a good one. It's just old and repetitive now. Re-read the things they've said about his party status. Then make sure you make an unbiased evaluation of his party status (which is not PURELY third party meaning he isn't third party).

Geno is a third-party character, as evidenced by the copyright used in Mario and Luigi. He is, however, a more accessible thir-party character than others. That's because of his status as a Nintendo character and developpement circumstanced. Whether this affects his chances is debatable, and Sakurai's word is the most important in the end.

Look at it this way. Geno is not third party but may have been during SMRPG's creation. Now that the creator works for AlphaDream, he is a second party. But he hasn't been used in a game (outside of M&L:SS) since then. So he's like a second party that hasn't been dusted off and used yet. But he can be used.

Legally, Geno is third-party. But if your statement is true, it changes his situation a bit, making him somehow easier to obtain. But think of it another way. If he's easy to get, why wouldn't they use him as an AT? Everytime I say Geno for AT, people say ''Why would they go through the legal trouble of getting him just for an AT?'' And yet sometimes you guys make a statement just like you made, that Geno is easy to obtain. I am assuming your statement is closer to the truth, because you give substancial proof. Therefore, Geno fot AT might be a reasonable possibility (considering how easy it is to get him).

Stop saying he's too old or unrecognized because this thread is proof in and of itself that he isn't forgotten. Unless 16,000 posts means you aren't remembered, in which case, I didn't know that tibid. Plus, he was mentioned five times on the polls. Sakurai is interested and that IS a good argument because the creator himself is interested in a potential character.

I understand that Geno has dedicated fans on this forum, and many other forums. But most of those fans have either completely forgot all about him before Brawl and the poll, or jumped in the bandwagon without having played the game. I am saying this because in all my years as a forumgoer, I've witnessed polls where people voted for their favorite characters, and I never encountered any sign of Geno. Weird.

About Sakurai's interest, well, I explained it earlier. Some entries weren't about Geno, but simply mentionned him. Maybe Sakurai was more interested in the music (it's an example).

And being a side character doesn't matter either. Sakurai never once said that side characters are omitted from Brawl. And he surely hasn't said that being a side character diminishes their chances of appearing. Did you know that SMRPG Legacy actually held a huge project to promote Geno in Brawl by sending Sakurai several e-mails?

You can't say if being a side character matters. We don't know. Maybe it does. But what is important is that no matter how you put it, Geno wasn't the main focus in SMRPG. The game wasn't about him, even though he problably was the most important member.

He isn't forgotten or small news in the eyes of his fans. Sakurai can see a call for this character to return to stardom. He can see that people want him revived. Hell, he revived Pit himself so I'm sure he's going to revive more series/characters. If he doesn't see the fanbase and call for revival then he isn't truly paying attention then and his polls are in vein because he would have completely ignored them.

Pit being revived has nothing to do with Geno. Pit is the ''retro newcomer'', and he possibly took a spot Geno could have taken. I'm not stating this as fact though. We have to wait and see.

But that isn't the case. I'm sure Sakurai is well aware what kind of character Geno is by this point. And I'll make this promise right here and right now: If Geno is NOT playable in this game, I'll request a perma-ban from this site. And I've been here for a long time and wouldn't want to leave either so that's how confident I am in Geno's appearence in Brawl.
This last paragraph doesn't present any argument I can respond to.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
yes but some of your points (mostly about legal issues) are assumptions. Hell my points about the legal issues are assumptions as well. You believe that it will be easy to get geno, i do not. That is that. As far as my other points i dont exactly remember your responses so ill voice my opinion again:

-yes i know, so were ic and ness. But they were the title characters and the main protagonists no matter how you spin it. Geno on the other hand was not the TITLE character. Yes he was a big part of the plot but not the title character.

2. He's from an old game
-yes so were ic, ness, pit, and g&w. But yet again they were the title characters and the faces of their games.

3. He's mostly forgotten
-thats right forgotten. I probably still would have no idea who geno is if i hadnt joined this website, and i had a snes. The fact of the matter is that super mario rpg was greatly overshadowed by the release of n64. I wouldnt question his popularity if more people outside of the fourms knew who he was. Plus outside of his cameo he has had no other appearence since rpg.

4. He's a partner.
- Here's an example for ya: In many batman shows robin had a big role in the plot of a specific episode. But do people say that he was overall more important the batman? No, because robin was and is the sidekick, or partner whichever you prefer. Now back to geno yes he was a major part of the plot but only for one game, or episode as per my example. The fact of the matter is Mario was not Geno's partner. It was geno who was mario's partner.

5. He's third party
-yes you have thrown all your legal jargon at me many times. But as far as i can see he is owned by square-enix which is not nintendo, and not owned by nintendo. So he is thrid party. Sakuri may consider him 1st party, but he is still third party.

so there you have it. Once again there are my reasons why i dont think geno will be in brawl.

Apparently not everyone has forgotten about him if he did well on sakurai's poll. Plus some side kicks are more popular than the main characters sometimes..

What do you care anyway, just let Geno fans have their fun eh

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Whatever man, let them hate all they want. Geno's my favorite character, as well as others, we've made our points to why we think he'll be in. That's all I need to know.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?

Being the title character is irrelevant and Roy didn't even have a game of his own when Melee was released. Title character or no, he had ZERO games out at the time and that didn't stop him one bit at all. Plus, this isn't Melee and neither you nor I know how Sakurai looks at things. For all we know, he doesn't give a crap if he's the title character or not. Simply being interested in him as much as he is, is enough.

2. He's from an old game
Almost every single character in that game is from an old game. Actually, scratch that. Every single character excluding Olimar is from an old game. Games that even predate SMRPG.

3. He's mostly forgotten
No he isn't. He was widely requested and demanded for Brawl. Just because you didn't know who he was doesn't mean he's forgotten. And besides, forgotten characters are sometimes better anyway. It's a brand new experience for younger players. They've never gotten a chance to use these characters before but now they can and to them it's brand spanking new. Better than drawing inspiration from new games solely, eh?

4. He's a partner.
Irrelevant. There are several partner characters in this game. Hell, if some characters can appear twice with a different look then a partner sure as hell can. I'd choose an original partner over a second version of another character any day.

5. He's third party
If Sakurai considers him 1st party then that's what matters overall and would get him in Brawl. The game is made by Sakurai so who cares for technical stuff? And he is joint-owned by both of them. He isn't solely owned by Square at all.

If Geno gets in then I believe it will be because he's original, would have a great moveset, and it would be a revival. It would be kind of screwed up if Sakurai placed all of his interest into this character just to turn around and say, "Oh? He's a side character? Then nevermind then..."

He's looking at these characters as individuals not by significance. And the game he appeared in had enough significance itself to give Geno the push he needs to make it in. And since he appeared so many times on the polls, he wouldn't be made a simple AT. He's up there with Ridley, Olimar, Dededed, Sonic, etc. etc. The big leagues. If he was doomed to be an AT then Sakurai wouldn't go through the trouble of five entries.

I'll find the translation of the entries. Just hang on a cool second.

pcamtz

Smash Apprentice
This last paragraph doesn't present any argument I can respond to.
So now you are completly sctratching the journal mentions? Please!, You saying that the 5 mentions weren't all about Geno is wrong in so many levels. Here is a piece of educations regarding the polls to you mister:

-The entries for Sakurai's journal were the result of him picking the ones that ineterested him

-There were three sections (I think), regarding characters, regarding music and regarding stages

-Geno had 5 entries 4 of them were under the characters section, I think I recall some of them: 1. Talked about SMRPG being his fav game and he wanted Geno in Brawl 2. Asked for Geno and Mallow as PCs cause SMRPG was his favorite, 3. another one simply asked Geno in Brawl and then talked about his favorite drink (due to the minimun characters restriction, I believe) and 4. Also requested Geno (I don't specificly recall another one but you get the point)

-The fifth entry was under the Music section, this one asked for the "Beware of the Mushrooms" theme, and said he should also include Geno since it wouldn't make sense to have just the music

*Fatmanonice has the complete entries you should ask*

There you have it, you trying to rule out Geno's entries is completely ilogical and =FAIL

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
Pointing this outta the blue, But this also could point out to Muddy mole.

Remember his roster entry? Sakurai liked him so much he said and quoted
"He could be in the game already!"

Guess who was just confirmed as an Assist trophy? The one game, old, dusted off Muddy mole =p. I have no doubts for Geno being in Brawl whatsoever.

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
You know... I don't really understand why you think he would be difficult to obtain. He was created for a Mario game, I mean he would be somewhat serving his purpose of creation if he makes it into Brawl. Besides, whats wrong with the fans wanting him? If you don't want him just because you don't like him, thats fine. Your opinion however, isn't exactly making things easier for the people that do want him in. I mean, I've said this before and I'll say it again, the legal situation for Geno is severely messed up. By the way, the copyright for Geno could simply mean that Square Enix is responsible for Geno's creation and nothing more. Nintendo may have full rights to use Geno as long as they credit/ask for permission from Square Enix. Now thats just a guess, I could be wrong, but I think that the legal situation is far less bothersome than a lot of people are making it.

He was in TWO games. Maybe not as a playable character in the second game, but it is enough to show that Nintendo does listen to their fans sometimes. It would seem unlikely that Geno was just randomly added as an Easter Egg.. This is what happens when you're a third party company that creates a character with second party intentions.. don't you understand why it wasn't legally possible to bring Geno back? I also have a theory which states that Geno, along with many other Square Enix characters, was a one time deal. Remember, there is no direct sequel to Final Fantasy II for example.. things are a bit different now though.

2. He's from an old game
I think you're missing the point on this one. The older characters, at least in my opinion, were added to showcase Nintendo's history. It isn't about how important they were to their series, I mean, Ice Climbers and Kid Icarus (which oddly enough stars a character named Pit)
aren't THAT interesting in my opinion. What was so cool about them before they were in Brawl? You can't honestly say that they're "cooler" or "better" than Geno based off of their NES appearances.. that would be... odd.

3. He's mostly forgotten
The point is that now you do know who Geno is. This is the most popular he's been in a while, I'm glad that people are researching who he is even if they hate him. That only makes him more a celebrity you know...

So why not bring him back into Brawl? Is it really going to hurt? I mean, you may not think he'll be in, but say he is.. I mean are you going to bash your head against a wall or something? It isn't the end of the world you know, maybe you might like him if you had a chance to play as him in Brawl.

4. He's a partner.
But what about Falco, Jigglypuff, Pichu and Mewtwo? Ok, so they're mainly all first party, fair enough, but they are still "partners". Of course Geno wouldn't be the star of a "Mario" game. Maybe Square Enix was planning on building up his popularity in Super Mario RPG, but how far out of context can you actually take Geno in regards to Mario RPG? I mean, he has full blown story which is pretty deeply rooted into the Mario universe. I guess he COULD appear in Kingdom Hearts, but how can that legally be possible without Nintendo's involvement? Ultimately Nintendo is in control of all events that occur in a Mario game.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Love the nee regulars as of recent, nice to know you don't need to rely on older members

Anyways I don't get why the haters don't get what fan service is and if its a coincidence that those on the poll, a few, are now playable, we got 2 from 2 votes, 2 from 4 votes and Dedede

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
I'll just say this:

"One instance does not imply another."

Just because something applies to one character, that doesn't mean it applies to a different one.

Geno is a vastly popular choice to be playable. Sakurai knows this. I don't know whether or not he WILL be playable, but a the very least, I can guarantee you that the people in charge are aware of the demand for him to get in.

Machspeed

Smash Lord

2. He's from an old game

3. He's mostly forgotten

4. He's a partner.

5. He's third party

1) Geno was not the title character, but once again, he COULD NOT be if Nintendo had a hand in it. Do you really think Nintendo would let Mario be a side character, especially to that of a 3rd party company? Definently not ever going to happen; and even though Geno was not the title character, he was the closest to Mario's importance. Hell, he was even more important than Mario plot wise, the story couldn't have been carried out with Geno, yet Mario was just used as a rallying point/vantage point for your team mates.

2) Who cares if he's from an old game? You do realize virtually every character in a Smash series has it's roots, correct? Mario, even if popular today, has been around since NES days, and Sonic has been around since Sega Genesis days. Sakurai has YET to add a popular new-time character (excluding Mewtwo last SSB, and Lucas and a possible Lucario SSBB). Explained in answer # 1 that Geno couldn't be the main character if Nintendo was involving Mario, even if Square wanted him to be.

3) Here you completely contradict yourself and your argument. He is forgotten, yet one argument ago, you were saying how he was from an old game, along with Pit and the ICs. Had it not been for the Smash series, the Ice Climbers I can bet you wouldn't know, same goes for Mr. Game & Watch. The Smash series revives those nostalgic characters, and your ignorance of playing a game has nothing to do with him making the roster. Quite frankly, alot of older gamers can recognize Geno and have played the game.

4) I have one example for you: Luigi. Aside from Luigi's one little game, Luigi's Mansion, which frankly wasn't as big of a hit as Nintendo wanted it to be, Luigi's ALWAYS been a side character to Mario, yet we expect him to make a return in the Smash series. Once again, and I'll say it one more time, Geno was Mario's partner simply because he had to be, Nintendo would not allow it to go any other way.

5) Your correct, his trademark and rights do belong to Square-Enix, but does that really matter? Poll-wise, Geno is the 3rd party Sakurai is most interested in, whether you like it or not. The facts are there staring you in your face. His party situation is rarely a problem to overcome, in the long run, and pretty much the only strike again Geno.

And there you have it. My counter arguments for yours.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
It is legendary Uncle Kenny, BTW not to get off topic, but does anyone have a good guage how Geno's jumping abilities would be like? That's all I forget.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Probably not that good. Slightly worse than Mario since Mario's jumps are supposed to be superior. Plus, he's a doll so he probably wouldn't be too good at jumping. He would be fast and would have great combo-ability though and with several long-ranged attacks but at the expense of being light and easilly smashed.

paralasalud

Smash Ace
Could someone put up Geno's stats please? And maybe a moveset. Im too tired to right now.
everyone's moveset is different but i guess i'll make what i really think it should be.
some of the moves are unorthodox. i'm totally making this up now.

up B- Geno Flash
-when used in air he aims the cannon downward and shoots to boost himself up.
-when used on ground you can shoot a fixed-arch fireball that explodes on contact with multiple hits, or explodes after a certain distance. not a huge eruption though, small knockback.

side B- Geno Beam
-shoots a horizontal beam that can be charged (to a certain extent).
-fires very quickly and dissapates after a medium-long distance.
-knockback isn't great since it goes pretty far, but has pretty good damange.

down B- Geno Boost
-crouches down quickly as the "boost arrows" arise.
-if geno gets hit he'll take a reduced damage
-if geno doesn't get hit his next attack will do some extra knockback.

neutral B- Star Gun
-fires a burst of low-range stars

FINAL SMASH- Geno Whirl
-throws the geno whirl quickly across the screen, cuts through anything in its path and breaks platforms if it hits one.
-deals about 50-60% or whatever, i guess percents can't really be counted yet.
-very good knockback
-on a random occasion the whirl comes flying back across the screen like a boomerang, surprising other characters.
-DRAWBACK after this, geno turns back into a doll that can be picked up and thrown.
-the player has to tap A or B and he's glow as fast as the buttons are being pressed.
-after a certain amount of presses he returns.
-not as disabling as it might seem, fast pressers can probably get back after like 5 seconds, enough to recover again.

i also had other implementations of his rocket punch:
F-smash: a 2-parter like link's in melee. first is a quick punch, second is a strong rocket punch.

i also came up with the idea that geno's specials can't be spammed. there would be a certain percentage it'll overload and geno will take some damage instead of the special working. after, he is WOOD using GUNS/fireballs/starbursts. i assume there would be some damage on himself.

okay. that's all. totally made that up on the fly. lol.
i forgot what other peoples' movesets looked like.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
everyone's moveset is different but i guess i'll make what i really think it should be.
some of the moves are unorthodox. i'm totally making this up now.

up B- Geno Flash
-when used in air he aims the cannon downward and shoots to boost himself up.
-when used on ground you can shoot a fixed-arch fireball that explodes on contact with multiple hits, or explodes after a certain distance. not a huge eruption though, small knockback.

side B- Geno Beam
-shoots a horizontal beam that can be charged (to a certain extent).
-fires very quickly and dissapates after a medium-long distance.
-knockback isn't great since it goes pretty far, but has pretty good damange.

down B- Geno Boost
-crouches down quickly as the "boost arrows" arise.
-if geno gets hit he'll take a reduced damage
-if geno doesn't get hit his next attack will do some extra knockback.

neutral B- Star Gun
-fires a burst of low-range stars

FINAL SMASH- Geno Whirl
-throws the geno whirl quickly across the screen, cuts through anything in its path and breaks platforms if it hits one.
-deals about 50-60% or whatever, i guess percents can't really be counted yet.
-very good knockback
-on a random occasion the whirl comes flying back across the screen like a boomerang, surprising other characters.
-DRAWBACK after this, geno turns back into a doll that can be picked up and thrown.
-the player has to tap A or B and he's glow as fast as the buttons are being pressed.
-after a certain amount of presses he returns.
-not as disabling as it might seem, fast pressers can probably get back after like 5 seconds, enough to recover again.

i also had other implementations of his rocket punch:
F-smash: a 2-parter like link's in melee. first is a quick punch, second is a strong rocket punch.

i also came up with the idea that geno's specials can't be spammed. there would be a certain percentage it'll overload and geno will take some damage instead of the special working. after, he is WOOD using GUNS/fireballs/starbursts. i assume there would be some damage on himself.

okay. that's all. totally made that up on the fly. lol.
i forgot what other peoples' movesets looked like.
Geno Whirl should be his Side B, not his Final Smash...

It's like the second attack he learns...

TheMastermind

Smash Ace
Sakuri mentioned alot of characters. Includeing assist trophy characters.
He was never going to include him as anything more than an assist trophy!
Thats why he put him on the poll. Thats why he put lot of those characters on the poll.

Obviously some characters are more popular than others. He didnt need a poll to determine that.
He wanted to see if some characters could make the assist trophy slot. Geno was one of those characters.

Going off the creaters remarks. He said 2 things
-there will be 2 or 3 3rd party characters.
-Geno is not Supersmash matierial.

Geno IS a 3rd party character by defination.
Sakuri NEVER said he wasnt going to count him as 1.

Is this proof? I dont know?
Is the creator a lier?

Over 50 characters are more well know and were in better selling games than geno.
And since Geno is 3rd party, I think I can name 20 or 30, 3rd party characters that would get in over Geno.

paralasalud

Smash Ace
Geno Whirl should be his Side B, not his Final Smash...

It's like the second attack he learns...
doesn't have to be accurate to the game, since mario doesn't always have fireballs.
i just thought it was more practical for it to be geno beam because it can fizzle out. i feel like if geno whirl was a special it'd go across the whole stage until it leaves the stage, and that'd be weird. i think so at least.

i'm just torn between geno flash being his FS.

i suppose someone normal would have put geno whirl as his side b, geno beam as his neutral, and geno flash as his FS. :urg:

EDIT:

no one reads what you write anymore.
the game comes out in a couple of weeks.
we'll all see whether or not he makes it.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
doesn't have to be accurate to the game, since mario doesn't always have fireballs.
i just thought it was more practical for it to be geno beam because it can fizzle out. i feel like if geno whirl was a special it'd go across the whole stage until it leaves the stage, and that'd be weird. i think so at least.

i'm just torn between geno flash being his FS.

i suppose someone normal would have put geno whirl as his side b, geno beam as his neutral, and geno flash as his FS. :urg:
Well, I think Geno Flash would work much better as a Final Smash and Geno Whirl as a Side B...

SPP Kirby

Smash Apprentice
Going off the creaters remarks. He said 2 things
-there will be 2 or 3 3rd party characters.
-Geno is not Supersmash matierial..
This is the third time I've asked you for a source or evidence for Sakurai stating Geno is not smash material.

Please provide a source, or I'll just deem you a liar.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This is the third time I've asked you for a source or evidence for Sakurai stating Geno is not smash material.

Please provide a source, or I'll just deem you a liar.
He's not even trying anymore...he's just making **** up...

Just ignore him if he'sgoing to make **** up

Top Bottom