• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Machspeed

Smash Lord
We have no proof that Sakurai was interested by Geno. Your fanboy logic told you that because he found some journal mentions ''interesting'', it means he's interested in the character. But what I am guessing, with non-fanboyistic common sense, is that Sakurai was intrigued by Geno.
He is interested in Geno.
Do you know what the poll consisted of?

He received around 290 entries I think it was, and he posted the ones he was interested in on the Japanese Dojo or something of the sort. In essence, the characters at the top of the list Sakurai was very interested in.

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
but what if suare wants a diffrent character, then your screwed
Well, two things:

1) This game's theme is Nintendo's history. Many Square Enix characters are as qualified if not less qualified than Geno. Keep in mind that Geno has only appeared in Nintendo games which, more importantly, are Mario games. A Mario game will always have more "power" than a pure third party game.

2) Geno's legal status and Nintendo's right to use "Geno" in a game is bizzare and is basically "unknown" to the general public. Ok, so Geno's copyright belongs to Square Enix, thats nice, but what about the contract that Square Enix signed stating that they do not have the authority to redistribute and market Super Mario RPG without Nintendo's permission? I mean, Square Enix is kind of in a checkmate here and no matter how you think about it, they're basically powerless when it comes to this game. Geno was never "unpopular", back in 1996 he was extremely popular. Even in a Nintendo Power magazine, someone stated that they wouldn't be surprised if Geno had his own series by the 200th issue (I'm assuming that idea was printed in the 100th issue). So why didn't Square independently market Geno? My theory is the "Welcome to retirement!" thing Square had going on at the time. That, or Nintendo had more say in what happens to Geno than Square does.

I think the "copyright" situation is more along the lines of "Nintendo, you MUST CREDIT US for OUR WORK. You DID NOT create Geno".

Machspeed

Smash Lord
so what is he, make up your mind, is he 3rd or 2nd party???????!?!?!??!

If he is third part I guess it is do or die, but if he is 2nd part or more nintendo owned now, then he has more of a chance of ATdom, make up your minds already
Alpha Dreams works for both Square-Enix and Nintendo, and Alpha Dreams at the time was the company that created Geno and most elements from SMRPG. Alpha Dreams is currently a 2nd party company to Nintendo, and Square-Enix; I believe they can get away adding Geno by just leaving Square-Enix's name in the credits.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Koarin, you do realize that the creator of Geno works for Alpha Dreams now, which is a 2nd party Nintendo company, and considering Square only co-made Geno, they could get away putting him in the game with just a mention of Square in the credits.

If he is third part I guess it is do or die, but if he is 2nd part or more nintendo owned now, then he has more of a chance of ATdom, make up your minds already

anyone want to awnser this? oor are you stumped

IkexMarth

Smash Journeyman
Alpha Dreams works for both Square-Enix and Nintendo, and Alpha Dreams at the time was the company that created Geno and most elements from SMRPG. Alpha Dreams is currently a 2nd party company to Nintendo, and Square-Enix; I believe they can get away adding Geno by just leaving Square-Enix's name in the credits.
Machspeed answered it.

D

Deleted member

We have no proof that Sakurai was interested by Geno. Your fanboy logic told you that because he found some journal mentions ''interesting'', it means he's interested in the character. But what I am guessing, with non-fanboyistic common sense, is that Sakurai was intrigued by Geno.
If I knew where that interview was with Sakurai where he talks about showing interest in Geno, I'd find it just for you. JUST for you. And I'll post it in this thread just for you. JUST for you.

D

Deleted member

No, if he is second or is owned by Nintendo than he is a definite PC due to the number of mentions he has gotten. It just makes it a little tougher to get him. It has nothing to do with ATism.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
He is interested in Geno.
Do you know what the poll consisted of?

He received around 290 entries I think it was, and he posted the ones he was interested in on the Japanese Dojo or something of the sort. In essence, the characters at the top of the list Sakurai was very interested in.
No, the ENTRIES at the top are the ones he was interested in. Sakurai didn't know Geno before recieving those messages. I think he was interested in those entries due to natural curiosity, and because he was intrigued by Geno and wanted to know more. It is quite possible that when he found out who Geno was, he wasn't really interested anymore.

IkexMarth

Smash Journeyman
No, the ENTRIES at the top are the ones he was interested in. Sakurai didn't know Geno before recieving those messages. I think he was interested in those entries due to natural curiosity, and because he was intrigued by Geno and wanted to know more. It is quite possible that when he found out who Geno was, he wasn't really interested anymore.
A link please that shows Sakurai is not interested in Geno.

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
If Sakurai wasn't interested in Geno, then why did he list five separate entries which all request Geno? Wouldn't just one entry be sufficient? I'll admit that the submissions were a bit "odd", but perhaps the people submitting their ideas had the whole "if we're strange enough, he'll remember us better" idea going on. Its a common marketing tool... but I don't think its THAT deep. It could simply be a cultural thing too, we don't know. Japan has a different way of thinking and there is nothing wrong with that.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Someone as active as Sakurai is in the gaming world, developing numerous Kirby titles for the SNES and N64, and various other titles, would know what the SMRPG is, no doubt about that. Didn't Sakurai help out with Kirby Superstar? That was in SMRPG's era.

He just doesn't post whatever runs across his mind first on the website, he deeply considers each choice he places on the polls. Heck, if James Bond were his favorite character, we'd see him near the top. Captain Olimar, Krystal, Geno, Ridley, Diddy Kong, King Dedede, and Ike (well, to advertise Radiant Dawn); all very great choices and all should've been in since Melee.

brawl.admin

Smash Rookie
Oh course he knew who Geno was. He was in a Mario game! He would have to be an idiot to work for Nintendo and not know all of the Mario games.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
Why would he know about a game that was was totally overlooked, came out when the N64 was out (in JPN), and didn't really do anything for the industry. Don't bring me that ''first 3D game, first time Bowser was playable'' bull****, I'm tired of that discussion and it's false.

Sephiroth_Ultima

Smash Cadet
Sakurai's not trying to make a game to give praise and recognition to games that have brought something to the industry, he's trying to make a NINTENDO ALL-STARS FIGHTING GAME where you get to play as your favorite characters while discovering new stuff you didn't know about other series.

And we know sakurai likes wtf characters AND he said that character importance and popularity didn't make any difference on his choices.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
it doesn't matter if Super Mario RPG impacted the industry or not; it just matters if Sakurai's interested. the end.

personally, I'm very sure he knows that game EXISTS.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
it would be foolish for a person not to at least find out what characters people suggest in a poll. how else would he discern him from the rest? wasn't he under the Mario list?

let's not come in with straw arguments.

Sephiroth_Ultima

Smash Cadet
Well in any case there's always the fact that peach's moves are largely based on SMRRPG.
Her slapping combo, Her Parasol, her frying pan... (the first and last could be seen as very common attacks for a girl character, but it's not like that, this is Smash Bros. everything's a reference.)

Machspeed

Smash Lord
proof pl0x kthxbai
Okay, so what you mean to tell me, is that a game designer of a cartoon game, would shove a character from Mortal Kombat in allowing them to do fatalities and all that jazz?

Just as I thought, he has to examine their background and make sure their fitting of the environment.

Mathieu21

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so what you mean to tell me, is that a game designer of a cartoon game, would shove a character from Mortal Kombat in allowing them to do fatalities and all that jazz?

Just as I thought, he has to examine their background and make sure their fitting of the environment.
Snake lawl

Top Bottom